Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Winkle edition)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Accidental crack shot

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I love how happy everyone is for them

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Murdstone posted:

I'm a little worried Olive is having some kind of breakdown and she should probably stop making this comic.

it's direct quotes from the book not author commentary

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

This is a pretty effective plot since there's nothing more chilling to the elderly people who still read newspaper comics than the idea of a child who moves out and never visits.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Moz, you are talking to a man who wears his underwear on the outside of his spandex body suit and punches people with a skull ring to curse them eternally. Living his life for vengance was going to happen either way. You're just mad he's not going to be doing it at home.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
"O Ghost Who Walks if you go down this path your son will emulate the coolest person you know."

"... How awful, Moz."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

But the whole "Phantom" concept is based on vengeance. Every Phantom swears on the skull of the man who killed their ancestor and literally the first thing the first phantom did was to hunt down everyone that had wronged him and his family.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Does this lady have a job at the college or what?

This is a very accurate storyline. When my husband was teaching at a community college there was an issue with a different instructor possibly being inappropriate with a student in their office. There was a swath of new rules about doors being open at all time if a student was in your office and not being alone with a student EVERRRRR.

It was a nice day so my husband went to eat his lunch outside at a picnic table next to the building. He was by himself. A student of his was walking by and stopped to chat for a few minutes. Later, he got pulled into his department head's office and got badgered about what he was doing alone with the student. Another instructor had snitched on him because they saw him through the large windows on the building facing the pic nic tables. He was pretty pissed.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

This has essentially happened to me except my boss just assumed I would be ok with it and started talking about felonies and international treaty violations we should do

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Twelve by Pies posted:

I can only assume that Holbrook finally saw comments from people somewhere saying it was hosed up that the snake got repeatedly transformed against his will, and this is his attempt to retcon poo poo to be less horrific. It couldn't have been this thread, or he'd have done it ages ago, maybe he saw comments on a hosting site or Twitter or something calling him out.

"Now just sign this form snake mouse thing."

"What is it?"

"Just boiler plate paperwork stuff no need to read it."

"It says I consent to experimentation and it's dated months ago. Wh- . . ."

"WE CAN KILL YOU AND DUMP YOUR MOUSE CORPSE IN THE LAWN FOR THE CATS AND BIRDS AND NO ONE WOULD CARE."

The Bloop posted:

This has essentially happened to me except my boss just assumed I would be ok with it and started talking about felonies and international treaty violations we should do

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

No, we didn't miss a strip, I checked.

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

John Allison posted:

Only Linton would be hubristic enough to challenge Shauna to a race, she is the queen of the pool and duchess of chlorine.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Gabriel Set-Up

I think this is the only time we see Gabriel utterly lose his cool and I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6TiB5rRq2Q

I imagine him sounding much like Logan in this clip from 24.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I don't remember this arc at all, but I do remember mentions to it so when I saw that third to last panel, I made an audible "HA!" sound.

drat I love Bad Machinery.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

drat I love Bad Machinery.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

I can only assume that Holbrook finally saw comments from people somewhere saying it was hosed up that the snake got repeatedly transformed against his will, and this is his attempt to retcon poo poo to be less horrific. It couldn't have been this thread, or he'd have done it ages ago, maybe he saw comments on a hosting site or Twitter or something calling him out.

The flower part, at least, has come up before. Back when Samantha was just a grad student, she was supposed to euthanize the mice at the end of every school year, but since she can talk to animals, she felt sorry for them and turned them into flowers instead.

(It is Old Lore that all animals can talk, and children can understand them, but as they lose their childlike innocence, they lose this ability and forget they ever could. Samantha is surrounded by so much whimsy that she never lost the ability.)

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

kidcoelacanth posted:

i'm starting to think tinkersons guy has exactly 10 character designs and refuses to create an 11th

The writing has intermittently gotten pretty entertaining, but the art is still some of the laziest garbage in this thread.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ukonvasara posted:

The writing has intermittently gotten pretty entertaining, but the art is still some of the laziest garbage in this thread.
It's still leagues ahead of tegnehanne which looks like it was drawn by a young child.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Alhazred posted:

But the whole "Phantom" concept is based on vengeance. Every Phantom swears on the skull of the man who killed their ancestor and literally the first thing the first phantom did was to hunt down everyone that had wronged him and his family.
yeah but the sea killed them all so the phantom's vengeance is impotent.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Bloop posted:

You were one of Trump's inner circle?

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Helen is so busy she forgets to pay the internet bill every month

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

You were one of Trump's inner circle?

No, but one of his biggest fans unsurprisingly

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

~Coxy posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Gravedigger Set-Up

This is fantastic, just so you know

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves

Comic Strips 2022: She hid in the cart and we have to live with that

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.
The Phantom

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's 2022 and you're both reasonably high earners. Just loving put the internet on autopay and move on with your lives.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

MariusLecter posted:

Since you can forge anything in someone's name when they're transformed into a mouse. What are they gonna do, sue you for fraud? Go down to the mouse courthouse with their mouse lawyer and tell the mouse judge about your crimes? Don't be ridiculous!

:nws::nws:

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! April 9, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True April 11, 1919

Cat Tales March 14, 1925

Oaky Doaks September 18, 1936

Mopsy November 26, 1937

Up Front February 21, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems June 7, 1952

Those Were the Days September 3, 1959

Wee Pals June 10, 1966

Dogbert February 15, 1967

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
For fucks sake learn to use autopay Ed!

Also, if you like Crabgrass now is a good time to join the Patreon. The first of the redrawn strips just went live.

quote:

As promised, I will begin posting new(ish) strips today, exclusively on Patreon. The "ish" here refers to the fact that the first batch of strips will be from the newspaper sales kit. A sales kit is just a collection of strips that any papers new papers run before printing more current strips. They've basically been selected to best give new readers an idea of the world of Crabgrass. So if you've been reading Crabgrass from the beginning you'll recognize these strips, HOWEVER, most of them have had their art updated to reflect the current art style of the comic. So that's fun!

After the sale skit strips are exhausted we'll move right into all new Crabgrass strips. Updates will only be three times a week, for the time being, so that once the comic launches in papers have time to catch up. Once that happens we'll resume our old daily update schedule with you guys getting strips a day ahead of time.

Thanks for sticking around and enjoy the new content :)

Big Nate Year 1 (Feb 8-9, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jun 13, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 21-22, 1990)

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

I'll believe adults exist in this world when I see one.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

readingatwork posted:

For fucks sake learn to use autopay Ed!

I'm not sure if this is omegaboomer "I pay all my bills with checks" or just standard "wife bad"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Kavak posted:

I'm not sure if this is omegaboomer "I pay all my bills with checks" or just standard "wife bad"

¿por que no los dos?

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Rootless Market

Night Visitors

This one is based on a bit of Japanese creepypasta - I'll put it behind spoilers for those of you who want the comic to remain impenetrable nonsense.
There's this girl who has an old doll called Mary. When he family has to move, she decides to throw it away. On the night they arrive at their new house, she gets a phone call: "This is Mary. I'm at the dump." A while later, a second call: "This is Mary. I'm at the corner." She's getting a bit spooked now, and she gets a third call: "This is Mary. I'm at your front door." She rushes to the front door, to find nobody there. She sighs with relief, deciding it must be somebody's idea of a bad joke. But finally as she's sitting at her desk there's a fourth call: "This is Mary. I'm right behind you!" (Spooky!)

Monya the Grey

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Oh hey, it's the first Bad Machinery (and first John Allison) comic I ever read!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: In the words of Chinua Achebe - Things Fall Apart, or Blueberry gets upset at everyone, or Blueberry gets exceptionally upset at Vigo