Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

GI_Clutch posted:

Juno? A buddy of mine's dad had that before they got internet access.

There we go, my uncle was @juno for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

hell yeah Juno. I had and used it back in 1996 while they still had the toll-free number.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My only experience with the free dial-up stuff was in 2009 when an old lady brought her computer into our store saying she couldn't get netzero to work. I don't know if I ever was able to try to diagnose it because our phone lines were VOIP through Vonage or whatever that company was and I don't think dialup screeches worked over that. That in itself was a real clusterfuck because we had four lines. I have no idea if Vonage offered any kind of business account for multiple lines, but we didn't have anything like that. we had our cable modem, then four vonage boxes daisy chained, and then our router. That was really fun when the internet went lovely and you had to restart all those boxes.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Is this a tech relic yet?

:corsair:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Yes, windows xp/pentium 4 laptop is just a curiosity at this stage

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Relics can also be trash

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Progressive JPEG posted:

Relics can also be trash

It's the "ugh, trash" period that makes relics valuable.

Those 486 machines the thread drools over now would have considered less than worthless in 2002.

Like you, I look at that laptop and cannot imagine anyone actually ever wanting it, but no doubt there is a 12 year old out there right now who will, in a few years, be into "XPwave" or whatever and consider that thing the peak of (ironic) cool.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Those 486 machines the thread drools over now would have considered less than worthless in 2002.

Like you, I look at that laptop and cannot imagine anyone actually ever wanting it, but no doubt there is a 12 year old out there right now who will, in a few years, be into "XPwave" or whatever and consider that thing the peak of (ironic) cool.

i already watch like 3 youtubers who would be all over that thing

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'd still be using my that era Pavilion if the DVD-ROM drive (LightScribe, naturally) hadn't died. It's fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pentium 4’s were exceptionally bad, and outside of breaking the 1ghz barrier, were kinda unremarkable

My feeling is that core2 machines will eventually be much more desirable

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Core 2 Duo was a game changer, I regret getting rid of mine.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

god i had an HP pavilion with a pentium 4 just like that one

it was such a piece of poo poo and it's all because of that laptop that i never want a thick heavy laptop again

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm a weirdo who likes computers of the 2005 vintage or so. Not because it's really good for anything, just pure nostalgia. That's when I got into IT and my jobs had stuff that was insane at the time, like dual quad core systems with 32 GB of RAM. Stuff that was way out of my price range at the time, but is now dirt cheap, so I've been collecting and upgrading that sort of thing when I find it free or cheap.

I found an HP desktop from around that era with a Pentium D in it on the side of the road last summer. The Pentium D thermals are worse than I imagined from the rumors; anything other than idling would cause the CPU fan to ramp up to maximum speed. The motherboard uses the Q965 chipset which didn't list any Xeons supported in its datasheet, but I put in a dual core Xeon that I had laying around and it works perfectly. Better performance and the thermals are good enough that I haven't gotten it to ramp up the fan yet.

That dual core Xeon was a leftover from my Dell Poweredge 840. My first generation model explicitly doesn't support quad core Xeons, according to all the official literature, but since I found one really cheap I decided to try it out. It worked. My lesson from this is that CPU support lists are bullshit even if the list says something is specifically not supposed to work :v:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

I love the era when PC laptop manufacturers thought adding dozens of stickers on the computer made it look cool and appealing.

Reminds me of this video, which is a relic itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXnJraKM3k

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Crossposting myself since it's relevant to this thread and someone here might have a suggestion:

Trabant posted:

I suspect this is an ancient driver question, so I'm posting here -- apologies if I wandered into the wrong place.

I got this glorious thing off eBay, NIB, to use with a weird retro-styled computer build:

It's a teeny tiny trackball from ca. 1991. I fully expect it to be awful to use, but it's adorable and this is about the aesthetics so I'm fine with that... Or I would be, if I could get Win10 to see it. It connects via PS/2 and regardless of whether I plug it into a PS/2-USB adapter or straight into the motherboard PS/2 port, it's not registering at all. Per the manual, it should be recognized as would any other mouse.

I do know it's at least getting power, as the "drag-lock" button has a light (green diode) which turns on when the button is pressed. But as for using the actual trackball, no dice.

The box includes a floppy with drivers, so I can always give that a shot. I was mostly hoping to avoid buying a USB floppy drive in TYOOL 2022. Any other ideas?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Are you sure the PS2>USB adapter you're using is capable of converting the signalling? Many adapters from the 90s and early 2000s can be keyboard specific or passthrough only, relying on circuitry inside the mouse to deal with the different signalling. These won't work, you an active adapter that converts PS2 mouse signalling to USB.

Doesn't explain why it doesn't work in the actual PS2 port, but something to consider nonetheless.

e: Might be the other way around, thinking about it a little more; passive USB to PS2 adapters .
e2: went both ways what a mess

SCheeseman has a new favorite as of 08:03 on Mar 29, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

lobsterminator posted:

I love the era when PC laptop manufacturers thought adding dozens of stickers on the computer made it look cool and appealing.

My work-T460 came with a load of stickers.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Trabant posted:

Crossposting myself since it's relevant to this thread and someone here might have a suggestion:

It’s an obvious one but it’s tripped me up a million times even though I absolutely know better, but when you tried it in the PS/2 port you were plugging it in before powering the machine up right?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

3D Megadoodoo posted:

My work-T460 came with a load of stickers.

I added a bunch stickers to my X220i :pcgaming:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

BattleMaster posted:

I'm a weirdo who likes computers of the 2005 vintage or so. Not because it's really good for anything, just pure nostalgia. That's when I got into IT and my jobs had stuff that was insane at the time, like dual quad core systems with 32 GB of RAM. Stuff that was way out of my price range at the time, but is now dirt cheap, so I've been collecting and upgrading that sort of thing when I find it free or cheap.

I found an HP desktop from around that era with a Pentium D in it on the side of the road last summer. The Pentium D thermals are worse than I imagined from the rumors; anything other than idling would cause the CPU fan to ramp up to maximum speed. The motherboard uses the Q965 chipset which didn't list any Xeons supported in its datasheet, but I put in a dual core Xeon that I had laying around and it works perfectly. Better performance and the thermals are good enough that I haven't gotten it to ramp up the fan yet.

That dual core Xeon was a leftover from my Dell Poweredge 840. My first generation model explicitly doesn't support quad core Xeons, according to all the official literature, but since I found one really cheap I decided to try it out. It worked. My lesson from this is that CPU support lists are bullshit even if the list says something is specifically not supposed to work :v:

Getting into old Thinkpads and Latitudes with with socketed CPUs is even cooler. Putting a quad-core xtreme CPU from a Dell Precision into a lowly Latitude E6400 or E6410 was awesome. Just make sure your cooling paste is fresh and your fans run freely!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

I added a bunch stickers to my X220i :pcgaming:

Now I have a T15 (obviously worse, because the number is smaller!) and it only has one small sticker :(

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

My Pentium 75 has a radically divisive political sticker.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

“No cooling fans”

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s an obvious one but it’s tripped me up a million times even though I absolutely know better, but when you tried it in the PS/2 port you were plugging it in before powering the machine up right?

Thank you, that was the problem :negative: It was also suggested in the Windows thread and brought back memories from 20 years ago.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/29/1088680989/a-retro-computer-museum-in-mariupol-beloved-by-children-was-attacked-by-russia

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cojawfee posted:

Core 2 Duo was a game changer, I regret getting rid of mine.
My man, you should have let me know.

We just got rid of like 40 Dell Optiplex Core 2 Duos at work.

I can probably still salvage chips from the 6 or so sitting around, randomly...

Mantle
May 15, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

My man, you should have let me know.

We just got rid of like 40 Dell Optiplex Core 2 Duos at work.

I can probably still salvage chips from the 6 or so sitting around, randomly...

What about a corporate dumpster dive megathread? Would the logistics work?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If one is an E8400 I might be interested

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mantle posted:

What about a corporate dumpster dive megathread? Would the logistics work?

Speaking of………

Decent haul today. 8 Panasonic PVM’s of varying sizes ranging from tiny and adorable to decent size 13”-ers, and an Amiga 2000, a device which I know nothing about at all, so buckle up for me to ask about a million questions in this thread, depending on what state it’s in.

Also a compaq and an ibm laptop, but I’m sure I can get those going somewhat easily

All of this came from a church clearing out their old SD video equipment for new HD stuff. I’m guessing the amiga was used for editing?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know why, but I really want a pvm for some reason.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Speaking of………

Decent haul today. 8 Panasonic PVM’s of varying sizes ranging from tiny and adorable to decent size 13”-ers, and an Amiga 2000, a device which I know nothing about at all, so buckle up for me to ask about a million questions in this thread, depending on what state it’s in.

Also a compaq and an ibm laptop, but I’m sure I can get those going somewhat easily

All of this came from a church clearing out their old SD video equipment for new HD stuff. I’m guessing the amiga was used for editing?

Does the Amiga have a Video Toaster card in it? IIRC even without that card they supported genlock natively so they could be used for doing graphics overlays on analog video.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Accidental crosspost from the tech relics thread that was meant to go here:

I had to back up a rather old external disk at work today, and found out it was HFS+ - and I only have windows PCs around. (And Linux, but for various reasons they weren't practical to use for this).

So, uh, let's see what we have in the drawers.

Plugged in another disk, formatted it exFAT, copied everything over. Just Works, etc.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah I can see that, there's also the factor that it'd be increasingly rare to find an intact unit where the hinges hadn't fallen apart or the bezels hadn't degraded yet, so they're probably going to turn rare fairly quickly.

For me that photo specifically reminds me of the period when laptops all had unusable touchpads, bad wireless, and dim 1024x768 screens, all powered by a space heater for a CPU. I remember that era with frustration rather than nostalgia.

E: I think the difference is that the hardware would just spontaneously combust at some point through no fault of the owner, and there wasn't really anything to do about it. It was an era when everyone was making the laptop version of the Ford Pinto or the Dodge Omni, and I don't get the impression that there's a lot of nostalgia for those cars compared to other models prior or since.

Progressive JPEG has a new favorite as of 21:37 on Mar 29, 2022

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Progressive JPEG posted:

Yeah I can see that, there's also the factor that it'd be increasingly rare to find an intact unit where the hinges hadn't fallen apart or the bezels hadn't degraded yet, so they're probably going to turn rare fairly quickly.

For me that photo specifically reminds me of the period when laptops all had unusable touchpads, bad wireless, and dim 1024x768 screens, all powered by a space heater for a CPU. I remember that era with frustration rather than nostalgia.

E: I think the difference is that the hardware would just spontaneously combust at some point through no fault of the owner, and there wasn't really anything to do about it. It was an era when everyone was making the laptop version of the Ford Pinto or the Dodge Omni, and I don't get the impression that there's a lot of nostalgia for those cars compared to other models prior or since.

It definitely feels like that was the era when cheap laptops really started to land, and yeah they were terrible turds for the most part. Anything but a Thinkpad was basically not worth using.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
YouTube.com/regularlaptopreviews

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mr.Radar posted:

Does the Amiga have a Video Toaster card in it? IIRC even without that card they supported genlock natively so they could be used for doing graphics overlays on analog video.

It has a bunch of cards with BNC connectors on it, so I assume it is a video toaster? But I’ve never seen one, and haven’t had a chance to open the amiga up yet

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

This post made me remember the cheap Fujitsu my parents bought in 2004, it was everything mentioned above, just an absolute piece of poo poo of a computer. I think my parents used it until 2010. No nostalgia there, that era of laptops was just the worst.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OK Amigaknowers, help me out here, because I've never seen any of this stuff before.

On the front, we have two floppies, and a syquest drive, which i had completely forgotten was even a thing that existed. I really hope it works, because I have a weird thing for ancient and strange media. Also the Syquest is labeled "Games 2" which is promising

Around back we have a metric ton of BNC connectors, what looks like a big SCSI port, and I'm assuming otherwise normal Amiga stuff. Also what looks like some sort of spill. Chicken soup? Mountain Dew? Whatever it is, its rock hard

Looking inside, we see, a LOT of hard drives, two mounted on things called Trumpcards :chaostrump: and one on what I am assuming is the CPU card? Its the thing with the big SCSI looking connector on the back. And a big mess of ribbon cables

On the side we see, a Video Toaster 4000. I really dont know much about these, other than hearing about them as a youngin with my Pentium-75 Gateway and how they were good for video work

There are two other cards next to the :trumppop: cards and I cant really tell what they are. One has RCA connections on the back, and the other has BNC

Closer shot of the CPU(?) card

The motherboard is a rev 6.4, which I've come to understand is something that matters in the Amiga world?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Check the battery. It may be toast, but you can replace it with a CR2032 cell in a battery holder. I like the fully-enclosed kind with leads, because it's easy to install in almost anything: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/keystone-electronics/1086/12751658

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just realized I dont know if I can use any keyboards I have with this. Will it take a standard PC XT keyboard? How about a serial mouse? Do I need adapters for that stuff?