Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

landgrabber posted:

is there a fuzz that'll sound good on both my telecaster and my humbucker guitar if i love mids?

Have you messed with Eqs much? I get the feeling that you'd really get lost (in a good way) in a pre and post chain EQ pedal or rack mount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

landgrabber posted:

is there a fuzz that'll sound good on both my telecaster and my humbucker guitar if i love mids?

More "primitive" fuzzes can be very difficult to work with, but the ToneBender mk2 was a mid-forward fuzz. There are some clones out there but none of them are super cheap joyo-esque ones that I can find. If you go with something like a fuzz face or a tone bender clone you'll really need to be careful to put it FIRST in your signal chain, right into the guitar and not into a tuner or EQ or what have you; simpler-built fuzzes like that have some weird magic that needs to directly interact with your guitar.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Carcosa. Doesn't care about buffers, positioning, or pickup; rules as a boost, treble boost, fuzz, and noise machine; totally impossible to scoop in any way. Also costs very little. Top tier fuzz for sure.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Carcosa is amazing, also the MXR La Machine (or other Foxx clones) are good but are a lil scooped depending which clone. You can also just get a Muff clone modded with a mids knob, those rule.

Tonebenders are amazing, and I recommend them. The Fuzz War is amazing and seemed far less scooped than a normal muff. Keely Fuzzbender and EQD Park Fuzz are definitely two to try.

JHS Bender is actually fantastic which I hate lmao.

My summary for trying flavours would be:
Park Fuzz
Fuzz War
La Machine
Pelitaur

Carcosa is not negotiable. Try those and then let us know what you like.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

yeah i remember wanting a carcosa in the past. will be the next thing i try! thanks friends

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm not much of a guitar lick player since I tend to stick to folky fingerstyle but I've come across Happy Traum's little series and practicing along with these things has been a blast and they make sense shape-wise right away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VipPz3dI_Jg

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I have a bit of a theory question about harmonizing guitars. Let's say I'm writing a sweet metal riff. It's in G Phrygian for example. If I want to have a quick piece of lick be harmonized in 3rds, would I just take each note I want harmonized, and put it a major 3rd(or even minor 3rds if I wanted I guess) away from itself, or would I use the Phrygian scale and make it 3 scale degrees? Doing the former you might sometimes wind up with a harmonizing note not in key, but I find often times it still sounds perfectly fine, especially if it's fifths. Until now, I usually just try whatever and go with what sounds good, and of course I know that's okay, but I'm asking in order to learn more about theory and common practices.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I have a bit of a theory question about harmonizing guitars. Let's say I'm writing a sweet metal riff. It's in G Phrygian for example. If I want to have a quick piece of lick be harmonized in 3rds, would I just take each note I want harmonized, and put it a major 3rd(or even minor 3rds if I wanted I guess) away from itself, or would I use the Phrygian scale and make it 3 scale degrees? Doing the former you might sometimes wind up with a harmonizing note not in key, but I find often times it still sounds perfectly fine, especially if it's fifths. Until now, I usually just try whatever and go with what sounds good, and of course I know that's okay, but I'm asking in order to learn more about theory and common practices.

Most commonly it's 3 scale degrees higher, but either can work depending on what you're going for

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The more typical """correct""" way to do it would be to keep it in the key, so either major or minor thirds depending. That's the sort of idea that goes back to JJ Fux's ideas about counterpoint. The thing about Fux and his formal counterpoint rules was that those were for a specific kind of choral music from a couple hundred years ago and the music police aren't going to arrest you for moving in parallel fifths or crossing voices.

Do what sounds better. Moving parallel lines, like straight fifths or fourths or major thirds or whatever will sound more like a tone or a texture of the original note than a harmony or like separate voices. If you want it to sound more like a texture a single straight harmony might accomplish that better. If you want it to sound like two voices working together keep it in the key. gently caress it, change the harmony every couple phrases, or allow a few notes to have a different harmony, that's what Randy's doing on Crazy Train.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

parallel fifths as a rule is kind of misunderstood i think... it's not arbitrary, it's because parallel fifths makes voice leading very difficult or impossible -- the interval is wide enough that when it happens, you can't really perceive the independence of each melodic line anymore. it's a really nuts and bolts rule, and like, feel free to break it but like

to me it's about what sounds good. a lot of the time parallel fifths don't sound good, or what i'm trying to do is derailed by them.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Thirds, octaves, and ninths are the cheater harmonies that work well in a ton of situations

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Aren't parallel fifths what Death use a lot of the time? Sounds sick for metal, imo. Also in this context does parallel mean what I mentioned, where you are just playing the exact interval instead of the scale degree?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9AMFf5Ih7Y&t=232s

Not sure if this is technically fourths or fifths my ear isn't that good, I just know I played it with my brother the other day using fifths and it sounded good and fairly close to that.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 28, 2022

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Using perfect 5ths will always sound good (or, almost always, as there's maybe a case where it won't) because the 5th is under the hood basically just the same note in some ways. One of, if not the, clearest overtones of a single note is the 5th, so it's pretty much already sounding, so you are reinforcing it when you harmonize using parallel 5ths.

tl;dr: power chords are never bad.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Lumpy posted:

Using perfect 5ths will always sound good (or, almost always, as there's maybe a case where it won't) because the 5th is under the hood basically just the same note in some ways. One of, if not the, clearest overtones of a single note is the 5th, so it's pretty much already sounding, so you are reinforcing it when you harmonize using parallel 5ths.

tl;dr: power chords are never bad.

Yeah a fifth is already a major overtone in the note, harmonizing there (especially with distortion that will emphasize the overtones) will make it brighter and more complex and will stand out a bit.

Again it comes down to whether you want it to sound like one note with a different character or multiple notes working together.

LG - my understanding is Fux put the kibosh on parallel movement in counterpoint for what I said above; it sounds more like one voice than two (or three or four) separate voices, it stops being polyphony and turns into homophony. Thirds/sixths you could get by with in tiny measures because they are usually moving in separate intervals, sometimes three semitones apart, sometimes four. It didn't sound like a single voice as easily as with fourths, fifths, or octaves.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also our boy Pat Finnerty hit 100k subscribers and did a live lil stinker for Headstrong last night, he called ninths a scumbag interval.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Me and iron maiden are sumbags

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Can't argue with the facts

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I was also going to say carcosa for a versatile fuzz that works well with most setups.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I’d like to see that finnerty vid but I assume he’s talking about this interval on a drop d tuned guitar

A9

-d-9
-a-7
-d-7

Which kept turning up in early 2000s rock around the hoobastank epoch and yeah it sucks. It’s a cheap way to add drama to a riff that would otherwise just be wailing on one power chord. It’s The Serious Part of a nu metal song.

Exception made for Deftones Be Quiet and Drive which loops it so much it becomes cool again.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 28, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The high notes on the guitar in Headstrong, which follow the paltry vocal melody, keep hitting the 9 of the chord. It's like chugga NINE NINE chugga NINE NINE chugga chugga. It's a scumbag riff for sure.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also our boy Pat Finnerty hit 100k subscribers and did a live lil stinker for Headstrong last night, he called ninths a scumbag interval.

I bought some spicy ketchup with his Beato promo code. 👍

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Why not get the muffalleta fuzz?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Muffs aren't reality known for being mid-forward.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
oh wait the muffuletta doesn't come with an octave fuzz, so disregard my previous post. it's poop from a butt and you should avoid it. octave fuzzes rule

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Just get the joyo voodoo octave.

edit it's a foxx tone machine and like 1/5 the cost of the dano clone with the exact same features.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 28, 2022

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

What do you guys think of the French Toast octave fuzz?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

super fuzz style octave > foxx machine imo

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

duodenum posted:

The French Toast is great but it's another foxx clone. You can get the joyo and have exactly the same thing but with the option to scoop the mids or not, be able to toggle the octave with a foot switch, an LED, and a more durable enclosure.

I had the French Toast and loved it though.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

duodenum posted:

Great fuzz terrible enclosure, but about the best cheap fuzz on the market in the early 00s... The new Danelectros in the red housing are still good but way pricier - there's a Foxctave and a Super Fuzz in that range which are both killer.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I really like the sound of the Black Mass Missionary Fuzz. Seems like it had a lot of tonal possibilities to dial in

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

Just get the joyo voodoo octave.

edit it's a foxx tone machine and like 1/5 the cost of the dano clone with the exact same features.

While a decent suggestion I am gonna say please don't get the Voodoo Octave. It's not nice in my opinion. I don't know what the gently caress is it's deal but I own two good Foxx clones (MXR La Machine and a HBE UFO a la Shields) and have played both the Warm Audio version and an original. The octave is not good.

Specifically the core fuzz sound is somehow thin and blown out at once for the couple I tried (I thought the first was broken).

I mean it's cheap so gently caress it give a shot I guess, just don't have high hopes imo.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Tried out a Gretsch hollow body at the weekend, was nice but I felt besides the large body it was hard for me to reach the high frets. I did really like the Bigsby trem though, especially as I'm playing a lot of Alice in Chains/Would? right now. I'm going to try a G5655t center block I think, narrower body looks like it may be more comfortable, but I may instead/also fit a Bigsby trem to my Epiphone G400. Looks like it should just screw on in place of the existing tail guard? The strings on it are loving old actually, might be a good excercise anyway.

I gather the B5 is the model I want, or the cheap licenced B50 or B500. Anyone got experience of them and know if it's okay to cheap out on the copies?

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 29, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Tried out a Gretsch hollow body at the weekend, was nice but I felt besides the large body it was hard for me to reach the high frets. I did really like the Digsby trem though, especially as I'm playing a lot of Alice in Chains/Would? right now. I'm going to try a G5655t center block I think, narrower body looks like it may be more comfortable, but I may instead/also fit a Bigsby trem to my Epiphone G400. Looks like it should just screw on in place of the existing tail guard? The strings on it are loving old actually, might be a good excercise anyway.

is Digsby Glarry’s trem brand?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ok Comboomer posted:

is Digsby Glarry’s trem brand?

Man I fixed that whilst you were posting, god drat.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hey guys, do me a favor and settle a small issue that's bugging me. I'm working on learning Spheres of Madness right now. Every single tab I've stumbled across in the intro, has the first 2 small groups of notes(and other similar ones) tabbed out as triplets. Even Rocksmith's CDLC has it as triplets. However, if you open it up on youtube, and listen to it at .75, .50, or eve .25 speed, it really just sounds like 2 regular sixteenth notes to me. So the first couple of bars I think would be something like

0-0 R 0-0 R 0-0-0-0 R | 0-0-0-0-0-0 R 0-0-0-0-0-0 R |

With all the open palm muted open notes being sixteenths. The rests very in their lengths though. But mainly, am I right about it not having triplets? I see how it sounds like it at full speed, but definitely seems to just be 2 straight sixteenth notes to me. I just am confused, out of all the people transcribing this, none of them slowed it down to listen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KZQNxWjgao

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 29, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Yeah, that's just sixteenth notes. It sounds to me like the effect of sounding a little bit like triplets at some points is an artifact of the double-tracking.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hey guys, do me a favor and settle a small issue that's bugging me. I'm working on learning Spheres of Madness right now. Every single tab I've stumbled across in the intro, has the first 2 small groups of notes(and other similar ones) tabbed out as triplets. Even Rocksmith's CDLC has it as triplets. However, if you open it up on youtube, and listen to it at .75, .50, or eve .25 speed, it really just sounds like 2 regular sixteenth notes to me. So the first couple of bars I think would be something like

0-0 R 0-0 R 0-0-0-0 R | 0-0-0-0-0-0 R 0-0-0-0-0-0 R |

With all the open palm muted open notes being sixteenths. The rests very in their lengths though. But mainly, am I right about it not having triplets? I see how it sounds like it at full speed, but definitely seems to just be 2 straight sixteenth notes to me. I just am confused, out of all the people transcribing this, none of them slowed it down to listen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KZQNxWjgao

Ive always played it as triplets (the bits you've tabbed as 0-0 r, I'd play as 000-000 r), fwiw, that's definitely what it sounds like to me
Maybe try and find some footage of them playing it live

field balm fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 29, 2022

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

When am I gonna be good enough to play with strangers? Is there a way to know? I'm sure the answer depends on skill level and other specifics and obviously getting out of my head is gonna be a big first step. So what I'm asking about is:

I found an ad for a local jazz practice w/ a rhythm section (drums and upright bass), which seems like an incredible opportunity. They're intermediate but say they welcome all skill levels, and while I'm sure I'm a beginner I'm not sure if I'm like... too much of one. They're playing stuff out of Real Books, and I'm just working my way there, like this month (and worried I'm neglecting some stuff along the way).

I can play a couple songs all the way through (Discharge stuff, jazz melodies, blues comping for myself are my go tos when I'm just practicing). I often forget the metronome but I can do it there too, and I can recover from flubs. I've jammed a bit with a friend of mine who is a technical wiz but doesn't really get improvisation, so we were both blowing each other's minds in that context, and I've definitely gotten better since then.

If anything, I think I know my M/m 7+6 Freddie Green chords, and I can find notes on the fretboard pertty quick, so I could probably muddle along w/ a chart doing that.

Is this worth everyone's time or am I gonna respond to that ad, show up, and faceplant?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i think i see him doing doublets not triplets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTg8bnIKe20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I also used to thing this part in Blinded By Fear was triplets but after watching their live stuff it's just single down strokes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oJFV3lc2TQ&t=70s

sounds really similar