Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
jeez, what a pane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Shutup you buttholes.

Glass.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm shattered that you don't like these glass puns.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

So many people driving way too goddamn fast for 0 visibility in the snow.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

wesleywillis posted:

I'm shattered that you don't like these glass puns.

He really needs to watch his temper.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Shutup you buttholes.

Glass.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

binge crotching posted:

So many people driving way too goddamn fast for 0 visibility in the snow.

"If I stop I might get stuck!" :hurr:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

How many of those drivers are thinking "If I slow down, the moron flooring it behind me in 5 feet of visibility will slam into me, so to avoid that I better become that moron too"?

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 29, 2022

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7077081853659729153

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
On the Orlando drop tower accident, the operations manual was released today. The weight limit of the ride is 286 lbs. As reported in the press, the victim weighed 340 lbs.

The operation manual is available here: https://static.fox35orlando.com/www.fox35orlando.com/content/uploads/2022/03/Orlando-Freefall-2021-with-Tiltseats.pdf

There are no seatbelts (more on that later) but each seat does have an open/closed sensor and it won't run if they are not all closed.

So who makes the call of a guest is too big to ride? The manual only says that the operators make a judgment call on if they fit. Nothing is said about the sensors being a guide to prohibiting a guest from riding. To me this is pretty bad as its not clear if the sensors make the final call on the restraints being closed enough or if it's a ride op's call and the sensors can still be "closed" if a guest is too large to be safe.

There is also a letter from the manufacturer to someone (state regulators?) saying that it doesn't need seatbelts.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was a 14 year old who weight 340 pounds?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Cojawfee posted:

Yes.
And 6’5”.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Cojawfee posted:

Division I football prospect, unsurprisingly enough.

His father found out about it after seeing the video on social media.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

*to the tune of wipe out*

HAHAHAA WHIIITE OUUUT

serious question tho, how do insurance companies handle big fuckups like this

just take it as a loss since determining who's at fault is moot?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
FUNTIME

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
“Should not have been driving in dangerous conditions, driver at fault.”

Alternative: declare bankruptcy and open another insurance company?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

GD_American posted:

Division I football prospect, unsurprisingly enough.

His father found out about it after seeing the video on social media.

Jesus, that’s devastating. Poor family.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
welp, and I guess now I have context for when I was trying to pull up that "Teenager who just woke up" skit/image on my phone and google's search results were all "teenager falling to death." :(

thanks, phones!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Zero One posted:

On the Orlando drop tower accident, the operations manual was released today. The weight limit of the ride is 286 lbs. As reported in the press, the victim weighed 340 lbs.

The operation manual is available here: https://static.fox35orlando.com/www.fox35orlando.com/content/uploads/2022/03/Orlando-Freefall-2021-with-Tiltseats.pdf

There are no seatbelts (more on that later) but each seat does have an open/closed sensor and it won't run if they are not all closed.

So who makes the call of a guest is too big to ride? The manual only says that the operators make a judgment call on if they fit. Nothing is said about the sensors being a guide to prohibiting a guest from riding. To me this is pretty bad as its not clear if the sensors make the final call on the restraints being closed enough or if it's a ride op's call and the sensors can still be "closed" if a guest is too large to be safe.

There is also a letter from the manufacturer to someone (state regulators?) saying that it doesn't need seatbelts.

please work out

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Zerg Mans posted:

please work out

i think division 1 football prospects probably work out more than most people here

i would say instead 'don't go on a ride where you are way over the weight limit'

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Goon Boots posted:

*to the tune of wipe out*

HAHAHAA WHIIITE OUUUT

serious question tho, how do insurance companies handle big fuckups like this

just take it as a loss since determining who's at fault is moot?

There are actually insurance companies that insure insurance companies against huge losses.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It’s insurance companies, all the way down!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Zero One posted:

I haven't done a lot with weight limits as an engineer (and none for the weight of people, just material being worked on), but the limit I list is always lower than the actual limit to take into account of someone ignoring it. Depending on what I'm working on and what the actual danger is, I'd probably do a minimum of 10% extra. If it was a person who could die, I'd probably start at being 50% stronger, aim for around 100%, just to be sure no one died.

The kid who died was only 18% above the limit...

I'll give them the benefit of doubt of it being a ride where the extra weight of providing the strength could have been an issue with the ride working.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Safety factors are an important part of design work. For life-threatening failures, they tend towards 6. That means you list a 100 lb limit, and build it to take 600 lbs.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

wiegieman posted:

Safety factors are an important part of design work. For life-threatening failures, they tend towards 6. That means you list a 100 lb limit, and build it to take 600 lbs.

Honestly, sounds more accurate than what I wrote. +10% is so small of a number, holding a little thing in a small clamp with no danger would still be at least +50%, even just to allow the system to lose strength if it wasn't taken care of over time (ie, used in a factory where maintenance = lose of money).

Edit: I don't work on things that can kill people, to be clear! I'm not an expert on that.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It probably wasn’t the weight but rather the actual size not being able to close it correctly.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Uthor posted:

I haven't done a lot with weight limits as an engineer (and none for the weight of people, just material being worked on), but the limit I list is always lower than the actual limit to take into account of someone ignoring it. Depending on what I'm working on and what the actual danger is, I'd probably do a minimum of 10% extra. If it was a person who could die, I'd probably start at being 50% stronger, aim for around 100%, just to be sure no one died.

The kid who died was only 18% above the limit...

I'll give them the benefit of doubt of it being a ride where the extra weight of providing the strength could have been an issue with the ride working.

It's just speculation but so far no one is suggesting mechanical failure like the seat couldnt support his weight.

It seems like the restraint was not able to correctly hold someone of his size and the G forces pulled him out through the gap between the seat and the restraint.

Not unlike the non-fatal accident on Superman: Ride of Steel 20 years ago.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 29, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You usually don't have large people fall through restraint gaps though. But maybe there's something specific to these that makes it so that the comfortable feeling lock for a large person is also one that can let them slip out.

Really need them to confirm the lock status of the restraint after the ride to answer it simply though. We know it positively locked at the start of the ride due to interlocks. If it was locked at the end, it's a pulled out situation, possibly with the locking mechanism loosening under load but still. If it's unlocked or visibly opened by the end it's a failure under load.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

So who makes the call of a guest is too big to ride

cue the ride's designer and the operating company being sued for discriminating against Persons of Excess Avoirdupois

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

zedprime posted:

You usually don't have large people fall through restraint gaps though. But maybe there's something specific to these that makes it so that the comfortable feeling lock for a large person is also one that can let them slip out.

Really need them to confirm the lock status of the restraint after the ride to answer it simply though. We know it positively locked at the start of the ride due to interlocks. If it was locked at the end, it's a pulled out situation, possibly with the locking mechanism loosening under load but still. If it's unlocked or visibly opened by the end it's a failure under load.

All the news today is saying the accident report states it was still locked at the end, for what that's worth.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Did anyone think to check if he was greased up, or maybe really sweaty beforehand? Could have just slipped right out, like trying to grab a greased up watermelon.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I guarantee a 340 pound person in Florida is going to be extremely wet when outdoors.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Nocheez posted:

I guarantee a 340 pound person in Florida is going to be extremely wet when outdoors.

Normally, but it was actually pretty cool that night. Low 60's.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Zero One posted:

It's just speculation but so far no one is suggesting mechanical failure like the seat couldnt support his weight.

It seems like the restraint was not able to correctly hold someone of his size and the G forces pulled him out through the gap between the seat and the restraint.

Not unlike the non-fatal accident on Superman: Ride of Steel 20 years ago.

Looking at the ride design, I'm surprised they are allowed to use a restraint like that on that kind of ride. I'd assume that restraints would have to be designed so that the direction the rider would travel when subjected to the stopping force would be blocked.

The restraint they used has a gap between it and seat which would be ok if the rider was upright since they would be driven directly down into the seat. Since they tilt the rider forward though, now the force to stop the rider is being applied by the seat and restraint and I'm assuming the seat is plastic with poor friction meaning you'll have a tendency to slide off it. You get a larger rider who has a center of gravity further forward from the back of the seat and a restraint that can't close as far and now the gap is larger.

Are there standards for what type of restraints are required for different ride types?

E:

zedprime posted:

I think the seat tilt was probably not considered when the restraints were designed or sourced from another ride design.

E2: Apparently ASTM F2291-21 is the spec covering seat restraints if someone wants to look at it.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 29, 2022

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

-Zydeco- posted:

Looking at the ride design, I'm surprised they are allowed to use a restraint like that on that kind of ride. I'd assume that restraints would have to be designed so that the direction the rider would travel when subjected to the stopping force would be blocked.

The restraint they used has a gap between it and seat which would be ok if the rider was upright since they would be driven directly down into the seat. Since they tilt the rider forward though, now the force to stop the rider is being applied by the seat and restraint and I'm assuming the seat is plastic with poor friction meaning you'll have a tendency to slide off it. You get a larger rider who has a center of gravity further forward from the back of the seat and a restraint that can't close as far and now the gap is larger.

Are there standards for what type of restraints are required for different ride types?

E:

I think the seat tilt was probably not considered when the restraints were designed or sourced from another ride design.

E2: Apparently ASTM F2291-21 is the spec covering seat restraints if someone wants to look at it.

From another thread:

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Found this on another forum:

Left is the actual kid and how he was restrained. Right is the image tilted 30 degrees as it would have been while he was falling.

If the harness was in fact locked and deemed low enough, it's absolutely insane that this thing was signed off to allow for something like this, where literally the only thing holding him would be the tiny flap between the legs (which is also much smaller than you'll find at similar rides at the big parks). And beyond that, no seatbelt? Insanity. He was probably holding on for dear life from the tilt onward when the sudden deceleration of the braking was too much force for him.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Normally, but it was actually pretty cool that night. Low 60's.

In FL? Probably wearing a winter coat!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bad Munki posted:

It’s insurance companies, all the way down!

Until you hit the bottom I guess.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Uthor posted:

In FL? Probably wearing a winter coat!

Yeah man, thats starter jacket weather.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1508608029792608259

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU