Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cats good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Silver Mind posted:

A wing shakes you gently. "Look! They're gonna do it!"

"WE! HEROIC! THREE!"

They do it. They do the pose.

It's a warm and bright morning, and you agreed to see Aitvaras at the barracks. You usually prefer to let his job be a space for him, but since Jevica is out on one of her walkabouts, you felt okay coming down to spend time with him and the other guards. You're out on the training grounds, watching Cassandra, Vincent, and Gaziel practice their new methods. They've managed to hold the pose long enough that the grass is starting to change color from Superhero Magics. Then Gaziel's still-healing leg gives, and he puffs out his gut and slumps down with a shared laugh.

Heroes... you really don't care for them. The word and its concepts are smeared bloodied black in your heart. Anyone who calls themselves one may as well be waving a knife in your face. But then, Gaziel isn't a Hero. He's the Superhero. Above and beyond. Immense power bounded by a code as important to him as breathing air. You'd call bull on that claim, but an entire year left no doubt about the old troll's sincerity. Which at first made his plight all the more pitiful, with him close to death and bodily failure, unable to stop drinking to block out the wretched of his Awakened revelation - but then those two had become attached to his weird ways. Then they all got into the Guard. Started trying to help. It wasn't going much of anywhere at first, but then... something happened on that walk to Megalith.

Something that has Gaziel drinking to excess from a large barrel right now. It's full of beer - nonalcoholic. The habit is still there; you can't stop that kind of momentum cold without it killing you. But you can hit the brakes a little at a time, and he was really trying.

Going above and beyond.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Full disclosure of murderous intents per a clause of the Ulthar-Sauber accord: Chips was absolutely going to killsteal, and is upset that the character killstole their killsteal. Thank you for reading this information.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Black August posted:

Full disclosure of murderous intents per a clause of the Ulthar-Sauber accord: Chips was absolutely going to killsteal, and is upset that the character killstole their killsteal. Thank you for reading this information.
:v:

As for our new sword, I wonder if we can get a soul for it?
Of course, we would have to find one or something close enough first. Alternative storage for lordly color, perhaps?

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Oh Chips you delightful scoundrel~ never change. :allears:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Black August posted:

"That was a really good kill but I'm angry I couldn't steal it from you" is perhaps the most feline thing possible

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

I am going to assume that the wording on that sword should be read with the "cursed" tag in mind, and what it means is "All damage done BY YOU or TO YOU". I'm also assuming that it doesn't just...affect the entire world, that would be silly.
So yeah, trade that poo poo away if possible, it's not the kind of thing we would want to use for any fight that would merit using it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Regallion posted:

I am going to assume that the wording on that sword should be read with the "cursed" tag in mind, and what it means is "All damage done BY YOU or TO YOU". I'm also assuming that it doesn't just...affect the entire world, that would be silly.
So yeah, trade that poo poo away if possible, it's not the kind of thing we would want to use for any fight that would merit using it.

I noticed that wording too. Though, strictly speaking, it wouldn't surprise me if it doubled ALL damage while it was equipped, regardless of where it was from or directed at. After all, it just says 2x all damage.

Edit: Actually, do we know if we can remove Cursed items once they're equipped? If so, the Dead Sword may be good for either alpha-striking someone, a situation where we die if we get hit anyways, or if we know/suspect we'll have to use the darkness power, doubling the AOE damage from that for no extra cost to us may be useful if we have to go up against MC&D forces.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 29, 2022

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Generally in a roguelike you cannot unequip a cursed item without an unusual interaction of some sort or uncursing it first

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Your eyes flutter open to the sound of a kitten ending their sustained mewl. You sit up and smash your head against the bench again, grunting a curse. At least that one didn't knock you back out, as badly as you wish it had. You shake your senses back into focus; you're still in the courtyard, the little kitten cleaning itself while the skateboard rolls around. Three facts assail you; one, your body is INCREDIBLY stiff and sore. Two, your wounds have somehow already mended in full!! Three?

It's Dawn.

THE TWENTY-FOURTH DAY
ANXIETY: [ X ][20%]
HP: [ 25 / 25 ] [As Roma & Amora Promised]
FP: [ 15 / 15 ]

You sit up and cry at how sore you are. Ouch! You cat-stretch it out and stand to look at the sky, whose clouds boil bright with the rising light. You squat with knees crackling to pet the kitten in thanks for watching over you during the night, as well as bringing you down to see the Duke. His family of sisters were amazing. Hard to believe you were out for that long. You look at the black-wrapped sword and gift of gold the kitten brought along, and pack it up while wondering what in the world you're going to do with this day. You'll go check on Kwiat and see if there's coffee, and then make up your mind of what to do.

There's a lot of options to consider.

After another stretch, you notice the kitten is gone. But the skateboard is still there, as usual. You bob your head and roll your shoulders, unusually energetic and fresh despite having been sprawled unconscious.

What if you...

https://i.imgur.com/oxtL32d.mp4

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
The cultpartments quest taunts me every time we open the character sheet so I'm voting to finish it.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Same. And of course we skateboard.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

But isn't the cultpartments outside of the Holy Valley? Wouldn't wrapping up that sidequest start us on the next long walk to Megalith?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It would not. You are absolutely allowed to explore anywhere inbetween (and often during) walks to Megalith.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh. Well. gently caress. Does anyone know how to change my vote from visiting the graves to wrapping up a sidequest (that would also let us swing by the merchant right?)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I feel that completing the Cultpartment quest might be mandatory if we wanna navigate Burner and Singer peacefully, so let's just get it out of the way

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Definitely agree on the cultpartments quest, and did BA seriously think the thread would choose anything but SKATE OR DIE? :skateboard:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Your Tuesday Forecast

Finish what you started and go get Paprika's pack at the Cultpartments. - 18
Head west and visit the graves. - 2
Hunt & Gather in the Holy Land and surrounding areas. - 3
Spend the day resting and exploring the school. - 1

SKATE. OR. DIE. [RAD CHECK 11] - 20 [OVERWHELMING SK8TR MAJORITY]
DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE [WUSS OUT] - 0

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Oops. Forgot this.

...LOADING

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dead sword cannot be suited!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Huh, sounds like there are a few neat options to try. Lucky Threads and Guardian both sound good, and Asuitos may be more worthwhile to get rather than keeping the sword before going to Burner's Megalith. Though... I'm intrigued as to whether DEAD SWORDS blank entry is because it can't be suitified (as the suits seem to take on the "essence" of their bse material) or if it will give us a dummy item.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Making a suit out of an f-tier cursed item seems like a bad use of a limited and valuable resource anyway

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sometimes the low tier trash can make the most entertaining results though.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm wondering why The Twelfth Accord's name is in red....

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Mhm. Guessing dead swords suit is a 2+ step process to get; starting with making it something other or more than just a dead sword.
Technically it wouldn't be dead swords suit at that point, but :shrug:

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Getting some Unliving Threads to go with our DEAD SWORD would make for an interesting theme...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

We already have Deadwalk as an ability, I would prefer not tempting fate by loading up with as many death-themed items as possible, thank you very much.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

taiyoko posted:

i'm hoping it's a good thing

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

taiyoko posted:

Thinking about what that table might actually represent...it could be a broken link on a wiki?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah. This will do a lot to help take your mind off of your terrifying dream behavior. You shadow over to see the board, breathing in the dew-laden airs. You think like Ulthar does and break into a sudden leap onto the bench, tipping your momentum to lean-walk off onto the board right as it goes by and down a slope.

It reacts understandably, bucking horse wild as it tries to throw you off, but realizes it's you when you press down and pressure your foot in. The provocation works and thrills the board into inventive hostility, forcing you down the long slide into the wall ramp. It's going to make you eat air, and your one job is to trick it.

(DX - SKATE STRAIGHT) 11 [4]+[1]+[6] = 11 - Exact Success!

RADICALITY: [ :krad: ]

You barely manage it! The board slams the ramp with excess speed, sending you spinning lunatic in the air. It takes all of your attention to pull the board enough to catch the lip on the way down, sending you from the crazed planet-spin into a smooth land and disengage as you leap off. You did it, a second time!

[+Joy]

With that fun done, you hurry inside to check around. Kwiat is sleeping well, while the huge robot cleaner reveals itself to be finally active as it polishes the rugged stone floor to a genuine gloss-shine. There's no coffee grown today, but there is an egg, so you have a simple breakfast of that and a bar of plantstuff from the store. What to do, what to do... you need to use your time to prepare for the next walk. You're low enough to (hopefully) not have attracted attention, so you can move freely. But what do you have to get done between now anYOU FORGOT TO GET PAPRIKA'S PACK AT THE APARTMENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][80%] [OH GOD OH poo poo OH JEEZE OH NO]

AHHHHHHHHHHH YOU CAN'T BELIEVE YOU FORGOT! YOU GOTTA GET IT DONE! SHE IS GOING TO BE SO ANGRY ABOUT-

(IQ - Remember) 10 [5]+[2]+[2] = 9 - Success!

-wait wait wait wait. Wait. Wait. She didn't give a time limit. There was no real rush. Right? Should be all good. You're even on good terms with the apartment cultists. Right? Yeah. You just need to giddy over, spend the night, giddy back. Easy easy. You can do that. You can calm down and go get that done.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][30%] [Okay but I still feel sick with nerves]

Ok! Absolutely fine. You can just go get it done now. You have a goal to focus on, and an excuse to do some scouting and supply gathering. You do a final check of your suit, get your swords secured, sling up your pack, and head out from the hideout to run about. Take the boat? Nah. The east feels more dangerous, but you want to head that way to get a better read of the walkable path in and out of the valley.

It's bright and lightly overcast. A warm low-wind day. You take off into the woods, following them up to where they fade into the Flowering Forest. While you walk, you can't help but wonder why the sky is so red off to the east.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Did... uh... did the corruption get larger since last time we saw the map of the valley? Is it just me?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Probably!

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So, I have a friend who, after much ado from me about how amazing this lp is, wanted me to make it easier to read than having to go through 80-something pages of forum thread, or even having to filter on BA's posts. So I've started work on a Google Docs archive of sorts, embedding images, keeping the OST links, and unfortunately, having to link to the one (so far) mp4 since I can't embed that.

In addition, I've been doing my best to keep faithful to quote boxes and such. Using light-red, full-width boxes for metaposts: Stuff like voting, explanation of mechanics not done through blue book/protip entries, that kind of thing. Purple boxes are pro-tips/Blue Book entries, basically in-universe Zen: Hell End meta. And of course, light blue boxes for regular in-game quoteboxes. Only through Page 4 of what I get from filtering on BA's posts (in the last camp game) and it's up to 244 letter-size pages if for some reason you ever wanted to print it out or something :roflmao:

Also trying to find some places to slip in section/chapter breaks where it feels like a good breaking point so I can add a TOC to it at some point.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Whoa that rules

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's sopping.

The eastern forest floor is sopping wet. Your feet sink into the grass, revealing red-tint. Bile up your throat when the vampire parasite cries out. Why? You're already anxious over leaving the valley to deal with the Backup again. Why is this reminder of your crime here? It smells so sickly sweet with all the rotten flowers drifting to the ground.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][40%]

You hurry through, itching yourself constantly while the humidity climbs. It's up to your ankles now. There's stringy-gummed red stuff clinging to your cuffs. The flower-dense trees are heavy with new growths. But it's only when you leave the forest, past the Crumbling City, that you see how thorough the changes are.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%]

The parasite is entranced, swimming ouroboros. You slosh through with nails tearing at your sweat-drenched hair, sunk to your shins in the warming fluids poured from the infected ground. You're not even at the valley swamp, and it's red. It's all red. Fields of pooled fluids, warm with gross. It's awful. The grass is red and crawling with little white worming evils.

(HT - Don't vomit. Do not. They'll know.) 15 [5]+[2]+[2] = 9 - Success.

You take a second to lean hands on your knees and swallow your spit, waiting for the moment to pass while your gut churns with one hard cycle. You march on, sword out and rested over one arm in anticipation of needing that too-effective gentle sweeping motion. The undulations of gravity dance over the back of the black, and you follow their flow to the unfortunate road you took. You thought you'd skirt the edge of the swamp and keep going north, but now that edge is- an unclean prospect. The lands surround are come alive, all too alive with this familiar sickly sticky red. Every heartbeat is too excited with parasite motions, crying for you to lean down for one little sup of those filthy sweet waters. Like sangria...

A raised fist smashes into your chest, silencing the enslaved parasite. No. Shut up. You forge on, glum and ready to see how bad the swamp damage is, without wandering right into it.

You try to carefully navigate the way.

(PE) 13 [3]+[6]+[6] = 15 - Failure!

You fail to carefully navigate the way.

Which looks like you now up to your collar bone in warm viscous waters, swirled by thick clouds of the worming white and long barbed grasses, trying to find any kind of stable land to climb back onto. Your mouth is bitten bloodied closed, your nose seizing through the panic-inhale you're stuck at. Sword and gun, both held up aimed out, Red's shroud a protective sauna shield about your stiff-worried body. Why is it worse now?! You can't even clearly recall what happened here; just flashes of Bleeder's awful face, and all the sadness sweet in that old witch voice. You're too stressed to think over it, wandering lost under the redgray sky.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][60%]

You're gagging so hard your chest hurts. You're suffocating. It's disgustingly warm and dense here. You can't bear to look down. You have to find land. You have to find land. You pray and pray and force open your third eye in reflective hope of an end in sight.

(!ESP β) 11 [5]+[6]+[2] = 13 - Failure!

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][70%]

There's nothing but static and your mounting panic attack as your start to rapidly spiral out of control. This is way too much way too fast and you are going to drown and be eaten by parasites and the one in your heart will not stop wiggling and your nose hurts your stomach hurts you wanna go back you need to do something do something what do you got you need a grip get a grip get it get it think think think silver, silver sucks it sucks so you need better than that which is diamond. Diamond! Yes! Magic will do it, if you can just focus long enough to remind yourself of that perfectly clear state of grace! PLEASE!

(Grace Under Pressure) 12 [5]+[2]+[3] = 10 - Success!

HP: [ 25 / 25 ]
FP: [ 10 / 15 ] [-5 FP]

PRESSURE: [ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][60%]

You gasp-inhale through open mouth, sinuses unseizing as diamond filters into your blood and sparkles your neurons with the incredible rainbow strength of the carbon secret. The pressure is intense, but manageable. You have to keep wading through this mess until you end up at land. You know you're well into the swamp by now. The goal is to be out of it before nightfall, if you're hopelessly lost. Are you?

(!Pshroom PSI β) 11 [6]+[5]+[2] = 13 - Failure!

Well, psychically speaking, yes. The mushrooms are dancing eager-able to try their psychic luck; the diamond spell excites their magical nature something fierce. But they're too magically charged to balance the improbability of the psychic load, and it fizzles into a pleasing report of the local infected mushrooms. There's no pressure, there. You expected it, and instead have to simply recenter yourself in this new calm, and try to sift the diamond dust to get your synapses sparkled into attention. Just pay attention in the clarity.

(PE) 13 [2]+[3]+[3] = 8 - Success.

See? Simple. Pay attention to the sky. The direction the Sun is in, judging by the rare sight of its circle white through the iron glass. Walk with it to your right. Hang a left. See that? There's the rivermouth. Has to be. The surreal that passes through the crystal of your brain is that the mouth waters are clean as day. They're cool, deep blue into black, demanding a strong effort to pass its deceptive stillness that hides extreme currents just underneath. Easy, easy easy. No pressure.

(HT - Swimming) 15 [6]+[4]+[5] = 15 - Exact Success...

Yeah. Eas- easy now. Hey. Easy. The waters are really, really strong under the surface. You gulp some of it by mistake. No idea if it's infected or as pure as it promises. Tastes soft. Easy now! You're trying your best here, but keep nearly going under. Your emerald heart pounds against its diamond cage.

PRESSURE: [ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][70%]

No. EASY. Just use your body. Diamond-strong.

(ST - Swimming Control) 25 [3]+[6]+[4] = 13 - Success.

Finally. You gently sway and kick to the irregular heartbeat of the river, finally grabbing grace firm and letting it lead you to the far shore, where you know you now stand on solid land, red and infected as it may be. The air is already moist with a mildew twang, grasses eternally rotting but unable to properly die as they sopflood with the warm warm ichorous wet. You gag again, controlling it, burping up some mis-swallowed waters before you carry on.

PRESSURE: [ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][50%]

You can see green beyond the west rivers, so you know this hasn't taken the entire valley. Just the swamp? You keep cutting north, the grasslands unrelentingly redtone for the next seven miles ahead. It only ends at the vaguely familiar treeline of the forest with the weird clearing. You decide to avoid it for the moment, not wanting to meet more wolves, and much too eager to be out of the open so you can properly dry off the infectious fluids and remains of the horrible white worms. After an extremely thorough wipedown, you're back to the north way with crystal relief starting to seal down the anxious ugly of what you just dealt with. Red's gift is absolutely holy in this Hell.

PRESSURE: [ ♢ ][ ♢ ][30%]

It's sometime past noon when you finally clear out into the pale green grasslands of the valley north. You can vaguely make out Pluto City, and look back to get a decent view of the slopedown valley sights. Yeah... lots of red back that way now. The diamond state doesn't let you bother with the long ruminating stare. You don't need to drop by the Pluto Tower yet, much as you'd love to, and there's no sign of Napp's boat. That's fine. No pressure. On the way back would be better, when you're laden with goods to trade. You must keep resource and theft-collect in mind when you leave, since you have to have something to barter with when preparing for the next walk. The burning Megalith... no. Not now, though. No pressure. You're doing the promise. You're doing a favor, since otherwise going in and out of the valley might get awkward real fast if Paprika catches you.

You stop at where you met Napp, and stare up to the valley leave. You raise your hand with a hope of lunch in mind, but the spell blows out against the diamond and fizzles immediately with a spray of hot grease. Ow!

PRESSURE: [ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][40%]

With a diamond-blanked expression, you lean down to wash off. Whatever. You'll try again once you get to the apartments. You march on, nibbling a packet of onyx-salted 'noknuts' from the mart instead; need some protein for the engine of destruction since now you need their diamond-wire tensile to carry you out on a new route. Once you do that though, you'll be trapped on the south side of the valley leave, which means you need to think through your route from there. Your mushrooms spray color into your prismatic display, painting thoughts of walks and ways.

So many quantum-carved roads to walk. You could try to get across the river before the rumor of the ogre encampment, and walk red until you refind the blue of the path that Paprika taught to you. Or you could just walk yellow right into the camp and say your hellos to your valley neighbors, and see if they can give you a ride over the lake. This seems insane, but inside the diamond you find the confidence that you'd be strong enough to find some barter. Finally, you could avoid it all and take the dare to walk green through wood and river, and cover new ground.

Which colour road does the diamond of your thoughts shade into?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

taiyoko posted:

So, I have a friend who, after much ado from me about how amazing this lp is, wanted me to make it easier to read than having to go through 80-something pages of forum thread, or even having to filter on BA's posts. So I've started work on a Google Docs archive of sorts, embedding images, keeping the OST links, and unfortunately, having to link to the one (so far) mp4 since I can't embed that.

In addition, I've been doing my best to keep faithful to quote boxes and such. Using light-red, full-width boxes for metaposts: Stuff like voting, explanation of mechanics not done through blue book/protip entries, that kind of thing. Purple boxes are pro-tips/Blue Book entries, basically in-universe Zen: Hell End meta. And of course, light blue boxes for regular in-game quoteboxes. Only through Page 4 of what I get from filtering on BA's posts (in the last camp game) and it's up to 244 letter-size pages if for some reason you ever wanted to print it out or something :roflmao:

Also trying to find some places to slip in section/chapter breaks where it feels like a good breaking point so I can add a TOC to it at some point.

Wow. Thank you for this archive effort. Didn't realize how much content there already was. Chapter breaks I use for myself so far include Begin (start until the meet with Smiercia), Domain Days (hideout claim to the start of the first Walk to Megalith), Bloody Megalith (that entire arc), and now it's Domain Days II.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Let’s stay away from Interstate 76

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I agree. I kinda want to see how the ogres will treat us now that we've met Karsudan and touched him.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Red -> cyan just takes us next to the Interstate, it doesn't require crossing it. When we walked that way with Paprika's guidance, we had the option of putting a toe on it but (probably wisely) decided not to. That said, I do like the idea of opening up a dialogue with the ogres, and yellow would also be the fastest route - remember we have a time limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

We also upgraded our strength since last time we wrassled with an ogre. If it comes down to that, we're in better shape than we were last time.