Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Today I noticed wolves chasing an invisible scarab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

For Fia's questline, is there a specific point that I need to have her hug debuff on me or do I just need to have hugged her at least once, even if I cleanse the debuff? It seems like one of the more elaborate sidequests so I don't want to mess it up right out of the gate if I can help it.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Where do people run into these things? I am not remembering anything that starts human and turns into something else midfight

my two were in central altus cowering in the corner of some ruins and the southwest corner of caelid digging in a cemetery with a group of like 5 other guys

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You need to hug her at a specific point after having seen specific things and spoken to specific people about them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Steve Yun posted:

What I gather:

The Erd tree is a recycling center for souls/runes

The jars take dead bodies to the trees to nourish the them, and the trees recycle their souls/runes into amber, which has magical properties in this universe (Renalla is using a block of amber to rebirth people)

Ants just happen to be scavenging the sap

Right, yeah. I guess I was wondering why Numen specifically, but I guess it’s not particularly relevant.

That also reminds me…what’s up with the Rune items turning into an iris and pupil?

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

For Fia's questline, is there a specific point that I need to have her hug debuff on me or do I just need to have hugged her at least once, even if I cleanse the debuff? It seems like one of the more elaborate sidequests so I don't want to mess it up right out of the gate if I can help it.

You can hug her to initiate the private chats whether you've washed off the cooties or not

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To be safe with Fia's quest, just get a hug every time you head back to Roundtable. You can use the buff item instantly so you don't carry around the HP debuff if you want. But if you want to progress her quest without having to look up triggers, just get a hug each time and watch for new dialogue options.

Eventually she'll leave Roundable and at that point you just have to go find her. Finding her might take a while, but once you do, the rest of the quest is straightforward.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

"Your beautiful"

Trying to help from the invaders end. I find a lot of people severely underestimate how much vigor you can have without taking away from damage.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

truly, fia's quest is the culmination of all dark souls quests for the past 15 years, where the slightest promise of comfort proves to be the most seductive and dangerous path of all

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I dunno what I'd be doing in this game if I couldn't take out or wear down tricksy enemies by using Frenzied Burst at them from a bajillion miles away.

Probably the exact same thing at a slightly closer range with Lighting Spear, I suppose.

Either way now lategame I've been using Sword Dance for a good while, and I just now started actually using the Ancestral Horn talisman that gives me 3FP back on an enemy kill so using the weapon art to install most dudes is almost free.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RBA Starblade posted:

What makes that shield so good? Seems neat
enormous guard boost(can hit 100 with greatshield talisman, meaning you lose no stamina when blocking) and elemental resists

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What's so good about Sword Dance anyway, it just seemed like a slightly more damaging attack with some AOE that eats FP what I need for balls of fire and such

Cowcaster posted:

truly, fia's quest is the culmination of all dark souls quests for the past 15 years, where the slightest promise of comfort proves to be the most seductive and dangerous path of all

but enough about my mental health

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I found the powerstance moveset for hammers kinda poopy, is the greatsword moveset better?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zmej posted:

I found the powerstance moveset for hammers kinda poopy, is the greatsword moveset better?

They seem to do shitloads more poise damage, especially with jumping L1

(e) "more" assuming you mean 1h hammers

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zmej posted:

i can't speak to how far it'll carry me because i'm still solidly sitting at 60% of the way through the game but the moveset of dual wielding is irrelevant, it's the jumping dual wield slam that'll get you through the night

edit: what ciaphas said

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

fia became my most hated npc in the game when i realized you had to enter an unskippable 5 second long simp animation every time you wanted to talk to her

i dont got time for that poo poo. i dont care if you have special panties, lady, none of us have taken a shower in our lives and it's gross

edit: it's so bad that you get an STD for each hug

Raine fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 29, 2022

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

marshmallow creep posted:

I am so glad I have frenzied burst because my Cyclops eye blast one shots those fuckers.

Is this thing really that good? I got it to try out last night, but it costs more FP than Lightning Spear and I was kinda unimpressed with the damage in comparison. I use Spear for thinning out groups at long-range, but I get 6 Spears per FP bar vs 4 Frenzied Burst and it really wasn't killing anything in fewer casts. (I realized later that I was mostly fighting in Nokstella which probably has water effects on damage for most of the baddies, though.)

Also, has anyone tried out Lightning Strike, the one that hits an AOE in front of you with lightning bolts from the sky? Again, I guess Nokstella wasn't a good test, but it seemed REALLY good for clearing out the blobs in there, especially the ones with shields that blocked anything from the front. I've seen people recommend Flame of Frenzy for AOE, but I wasn't super impressed the couple times I tried it (but who knows, that was like 40 hours ago). Also was not impressed with Scouring Black Flame. It would be really nice to at least use TWO spells that line up with one of the specialty seals, right? I would swap to Gravel Stone Seal over Godslayer in a heartbeat if I didn't need a thousand unobtainable smithing stones to do so.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i know it's corny as hell to toot my own twitter horn but here's how my sorcerer made his way through the alecto fight, using sorcery and intelligence
https://twitter.com/cowcaster/status/1507810987088482315?s=20&t=Epkekc_pXxrse3BO4crfDQ

admittedly i start panic rolling a bunch at the 1/3rd mark, and then i gruesomely predict that alecto's going to dodge away when she doesn't and it almost costs me the fight, but anything you can walk away from am i right

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bit unfortunate that dual greatswords feels so good to use because i just found sword of night & flame so I'm kinda obligated to switch

at least for a while - smashings will resume later

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

What's so good about Sword Dance anyway, it just seemed like a slightly more damaging attack with some AOE that eats FP what I need for balls of fire and such

Use it on a polearm and it gets insane reach

Good stagger damage too

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

bit unfortunate that dual greatswords feels so good to use because i just found sword of night & flame so I'm kinda obligated to switch

at least for a while - smashings will resume later

don't be seduced by wizardly bullshit, stick to the True Path

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I mostly used double greatswords (swapping between heavy, cold, and bleed as needed) for most of late NG and through almost all of NG+ so far. Jumping L1 even ducks under some boss swipes with the long recovery.

Did some ~L50 invasions at the academy before the doggo today (PC). Felt like 75% of the time it was the same 3-4 gank squads having their decked out summonbros wait upstairs to pound you into the marble floors with either RoB or Radahn's swords as you were spawning in :shrug:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Sword Dance is a multi hit animation that swings your weapon around at the same speed no matter how big or small it is which may be of interest to very large slow weapon enthusiasts

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Speaking of double greatswords: this setup should give me pretty good exploration sustain. Also, i look cool.

Also, i found a spooky torch with icy flames

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh i guess continuing this varre dork's questline needs me to pvp

even thinking about pvp gives me so much anxiety, it's stupid and frustrating and i loving hate it :arghfist::brainworms:

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Can you crit with your left handed weapon?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

even thinking about pvp gives me so much anxiety, it's stupid and frustrating and i loving hate it :arghfist::brainworms:

You just have to invade, you don’t have to win or even engage another player. Just invade and then use the finger severer to leave and it counts.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

GloomMouse posted:

don't be seduced by wizardly bullshit, stick to the True Path

the true path better include some better fire incantations soon, everything since plain-rear end Fire Sling has been disappointing

cool looking, but disappointing

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Sword Dance costs only 6 FP, and in return it gap closes and makes your weapon hit twice in a big aoe (on a polearm or big sword) for slightly more damage than two hits would, but much faster than you would normally get two hits.
The third hit followup is risky but worth doing if your initial two hits did a ministagger on the enemy because it means the third hit will too and give you a moment to run away.

This means with an appropriately upgraded weapon, using it once will delete most small enemies in the game both in total safety and in a big arc, and using it twice will probably work on bigger enemies like the tall Leyndell Knights.

Basically if you use it on a short fast-attacking weapon like a scimitar as the image suggests it will seem underwhelming. If you use it on a big slow weapon, it does your weapon's damage much faster than regular swings.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

It requires an attempt. It counts if you invade then just send yourself home.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Harrow posted:

You just have to invade, you don’t have to win or even engage another player. Just invade and then use the finger severer to leave and it counts.

SettingSun posted:

It requires an attempt. It counts if you invade then just send yourself home.

that's unironically a big relief, thanks

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

i can't speak to how far it'll carry me because i'm still solidly sitting at 60% of the way through the game but the moveset of dual wielding is irrelevant, it's the jumping dual wield slam that'll get you through the night

edit: what ciaphas said
ah ty.

I think this brings up a slight issue I have with playing melee so far: if I'm not doing jump attacks, I'm probably getting splattered since normal R2s or small attack chains make me more open to punishes. also jump heavy/dual attacks seem to be highest poise damage

I was hoping the powerstance greatsword moveset would let me try more variety

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

So I beat malenia? But the game kind of gave it to me?

I soloed her first phase and ended phase 1 on a critical stab into her chest. For whatever reason phase 2 she spawned with like 10% health and I instantly killed her?

It doesn’t feel “unearned” since I did spend 3 days working on her solo with no summons and almost got her once before. It’s just weird!

You won the lottery!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Oxyclean posted:

When she returns to the Roundtable, she doesn't go to the same spot you first saw her. Check downstairs past Hewg.

I'm wondering if i'm stuck myself cause I gave her the ashes, and talked to the other two NPCs, but nothing appears to be updating. I'm wondering if I just need to unlock the capital or something.

For me she didn't appear again until after I advanced into some endgame stuff. She was a summon sign for one of the last bosses and then the trio were in the throne room behind where you fought Godrick.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Eej posted:

Sword Dance is a multi hit animation that swings your weapon around at the same speed no matter how big or small it is which may be of interest to very large slow weapon enthusiasts

edit: I misread this post. My experience echoes it.

Honestly I found Sword Dance much better than Double Slash because while Double Slash can do more hits it tends to be slower and makes you stand still, while Sword Dance has a mobility element that's hard to give up once you work it into your big weapon routine.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 29, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hey i'm pretty happy with how that alecto video turned out pretty cool right

boloney
May 29, 2021
What are these things and why are pieces of them all over the map

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
it took me over an hour of failed attempts to beat alecto last night, definitely the boss I've had the most trouble with yet

I've been thinking about respeccing again after switching from dex/int moonveil to arcane eleonara's poleblade, maybe to sword of night and flame or darkmoon greatsword haven't decided yet

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

that's unironically a big relief, thanks

If you want to, you could even just suicide off a cliff or something and tip your host a few runes on your way out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

boloney posted:

What are these things and why are pieces of them all over the map
thanks obama