Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Natural 20 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBjiNt_Uk3g

This is the most disgusting thing I figured out in this game.

It's a 100% hit chance on Ezana's Rite of Thunderstorms.

Can magic miss at all? I don't remember it doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Taear posted:

Can magic miss at all? I don't remember it doing

Certain spells/effects explicitly have a chance to miss to balance them, most of them don't have this chance. e.g. Fredrika's "Scorch" will never miss no matter what, but Enza's Mass Lightning has a chance to miss each targeted enemy character (based on maybe luck?)

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Rite of Thunderstorms can miss... but not with that trick. However it's not great against bosses in NG+ or Hard, since they usually get extra turns...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Mustard Iceman posted:

Rite of Thunderstorms can miss... but not with that trick. However it's not great against bosses in NG+ or Hard, since they usually get extra turns...

Yeah but if you can wipe out all the non-boss units and have your tanks keep the boss at bay you can gang beat the boss pretty easily.

Honestly just getting rid of mages and healers makes most fights pretty free.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Cephas posted:

I'd love a campaign that took off the training wheels and had a ton of difficulty variability based on your unwillingness to compromise certain principles. I could see how that could run into a bunch of design quandaries, though.

I spent a lot of the early going wondering whether, if I made enough decisions that would put the livelihoods of the citizens of House Wolffort in peril, like lighting their houses on fire or picking fights for no reason other than “but it’s wrong!”, if said citizens would try to coup me or betray me.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Holy poo poo, a game where Fog/Darkness of War ends up benefitting you instead of the enemy!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One minor gripe I have is that I wish it showed the character portraits during dialogue. They're so nice, and you don't get to see them during the time when the characters are actually talking!

edit: Also there being hidden items during exploration. What were they thinking with that? Hidden items are always annoying to deal with.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 27, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

One minor gripe I have is that I wish it showed the character portraits during dialogue. They're so nice, and you don't get to see them during the time when the characters are actually talking!

edit: Also there being hidden items during exploration. What were they thinking with that? Hidden items are always annoying to deal with.

Does not bother me too much as I can just press x to check at any time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Does not bother me too much as I can just press x to check at any time.

If you're talking about the hidden items, it's still annoying because you have to comb the entire map (which can be somewhat complex due to the verticality of some of the maps). I would just ignore it, but the rewards you get seem quite good (at least this early).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Do you not notice that all the hidden items are indicated by sparkles?

EDIT: VVV That's fair

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 27, 2022

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

Them little sparkles are sometimes hard to see, at least for me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

If you're talking about the hidden items, it's still annoying because you have to comb the entire map (which can be somewhat complex due to the verticality of some of the maps). I would just ignore it, but the rewards you get seem quite good (at least this early).

Was talking about the portraits in this case.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Yeah when any character is talking you can press X to see their portrait and a brief description of who they are

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

I like that the profile descriptions occasionally update, and that they bothered to put in a portrait of young, hot Benedict in his character story flashbacks.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
if you are a dude liker that is another reason to switch to japanese vo. im lesbo but benedict's voice is just objectively sexier in that dub.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

nah, I'm too gay for Hughette's English voice to ever switch to Japanese.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Was talking about the portraits in this case.

Ah, that's very helpful then, thanks! Didn't realize you could do that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Mustard Iceman posted:

nah, I'm too gay for Hughette's English voice to ever switch to Japanese.

now that is the type of conviction that ought to be follow

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Just finished Frederica's route. Gotta say, I respect the game for having the convictions(:v:) to kill Serenoa for real.

Currently rewatching the epilogue because I forgot to check if Frederica's profile changes for it.

E: It does not; that's actually a bit disappointing.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 28, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm what I assume is late into chapter 5 now. I'm enjoying the story of this a good deal so far. It's nothing super complex, but I think it's executed well.

I also like how easy it is to keep everyone leveled up. It seems like a single battle is generally enough to effortlessly catch a character up, since the XP is so drastically scaled up.

Fangz posted:

I actually did start to notice that today. There's a long-ish delay between the sparkles that was preventing me from noticing them, but now that I know what to look for it's not too hard to find them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ytlaya posted:

I'm what I assume is late into chapter 5 now. I'm enjoying the story of this a good deal so far. It's nothing super complex, but I think it's executed well.

I also like how easy it is to keep everyone leveled up. It seems like a single battle is generally enough to effortlessly catch a character up, since the XP is so drastically scaled up.

The EXP scaling is pretty ingenious. Your exp gain per action is entirely tied to your character's level in relation to the recommended level of the map, so if you're below the recommended level you'll gain gobs of exp every time you do something and if you're above it you'll gain progressively less.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Just got to the climax decision and drat does this game pull a bug-eyed situation out of left field.

Went down Frederica's route and: Benedict :magical:

One thing I was wondering -- is it possible to have a tie during 3-choice votes, and does the game do anything interesting because of it?

I was thinking of trying to force one but I also enjoy playing this game without re-making decisions even when they don't go my way. So I didn't wanna risk it.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

A tie is possible. You make the deciding vote.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kanos posted:

The EXP scaling is pretty ingenious. Your exp gain per action is entirely tied to your character's level in relation to the recommended level of the map, so if you're below the recommended level you'll gain gobs of exp every time you do something and if you're above it you'll gain progressively less.

Tbh I feel like the "final form" of this is to just have character automatically be leveled up to the extent necessary at that point in the story. So with each story mission they just increase in level.

Like, that's essentially what's happening now, since there's a soft-cap on leveling at any given point.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ytlaya posted:

Tbh I feel like the "final form" of this is to just have character automatically be leveled up to the extent necessary at that point in the story. So with each story mission they just increase in level.

Like, that's essentially what's happening now, since there's a soft-cap on leveling at any given point.

I mean the final form of that is to remove levels entirely and just learn new skills based on plot progession.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Clarste posted:

I mean the final form of that is to remove levels entirely and just learn new skills based on plot progession.

Nah, stat values changing over time in the context of each other keeps strategy spicey. Like Benedict's buffs for example are static bonuses on str and magic so they're nuts early but weak late.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
leveling up has a brain feel good element, like either of those two are valid alternatives but i would not call them evolutions

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Why the HELL can't I fast forward through the "..." bubbles. DEAD GAME

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I like the big "thump thump thump" noise that happens every time someone goes ...

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Snooze Cruise posted:

leveling up has a brain feel good element, like either of those two are valid alternatives but i would not call them evolutions

Once I hit Level 50 in NG+ I really missed the level up comments that characters made, like "Yes! HA HA HA! Yes!" - Lionel and "Look at me, learnin'" - Erador

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Are some missing dialogue choices new game+? I feel like I'm talking to everyone and everything.

Also if they are a stone wall, is it even possible to sway their opinion?

poe meater fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 29, 2022

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Fangz posted:

EDIT: VVV That's fair

I mean...I assume by hidden items they mean the ones that don't sparkle until you get really close, otherwise they're not hidden surely?

poe meater posted:

Are some missing dialogue choices new game+? I feel like I'm talking to everyone and everything.

Also if they are a stone wall, is it even possible to sway their opinion?

It is, but you need very high scores in that particular stat and to say exactly the right thing. It will straight up tell you "this person has made up their mind" if it's impossible to persuade them.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I've come around on the music more. Combat - Destiny is an all time great track.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

I've come around on the music more. Combat - Destiny is an all time great track.

It is definitely my favorite track in the game. I'm a sucker for it because it feels like it could play before Goku going super saiyan for the first time, lol.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Natural 20 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpRWraADs0M

This track never stood out to me at all until I listened to it on headphones instead of through the Switch's speakers, but once I did it blew me away. The soundtrack really nails it with the bombastic tracks.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Is it more interesting to smuggle salt or telling him to gently caress off?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

poe meater posted:

Is it more interesting to smuggle salt or telling him to gently caress off?

Both lead to interesting consequences, if you want to play through the game again to get the Best Ending (it's rather recommended that you do so, because otherwise the final true ending battles will be super hard, and it's not easy to get the best ending without a guide), leave the choice of smuggling the salt to last.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Does anyone know if the reward Lionel mentions for not taking any losses only cares about story missions, or do I have to avoid casualties in mock battles too?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
It's kinda funny how Lyla has some of the bigger connections to recruits. You have Medina and Corentin ofc but that pales to like her being a mother to one character and being involved in the creation of another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I've decided that the decisions I didn't take feel too bad for me to go through and do again. This game feels a bit like Disco Elysium where I like the story a lot but I only want to see it from one direction.
Of course it helps that New Game+ is a shitshow. Man I wish they did it like Three Houses! Let me start again at level 1 but with my full roster