Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

Mods I thought anything other than flattering praise of the one true god, Sir Lewis Hamilton, was a bannable offense.

this person gets it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

ilmucche posted:

I want to know more.

Also post ur dogs. Possibly with omelettes

It's this one https://www.towerhousewares.co.uk/pt27024blk-presto-750w-deep-fill-omelette-maker-black.html

I have toy potato

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Missed the race and it took me until now to catch up. I read every post in the thread because I am the most righteous of posters of course. #forzalester

Pleased to see the arch fiend Von Stapping exposed for his international crimes yet again. Very disappointed that the Fraudulent International Autos has elected to collaborate with his underhanded regime. Looking forward to the day when he will be confirmed in a very important championship decided in the Hague.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Missed the race and it took me until now to catch up. I read every post in the thread because I am the most righteous of posters of course. #forzalester

Pleased to see the arch fiend Von Stapping exposed for his international crimes yet again. Very disappointed that the Fraudulent International Autos has elected to collaborate with his underhanded regime. Looking forward to the day when he will be confirmed in a very important championship decided in the Hague.

god why are your posts/opinions so good/perfect

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Good to see Monty is excited for back-to-back Haas points

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

Good to see Monty is excited for back-to-back Haas points

anybody who isn't excited for Haas points means they don't want to see happy Guenther and if you don't want to see Guenther happy you can go gently caress yourself

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Quizzlefish posted:

Am I the only one who thinks mercedes will pull it out of the bag in a few weeks?

I'm there with you OP. The Brackley Boys will pull through

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I hope they pull out of the sport in a few weeks.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

MustardFacial posted:

I hope they pull out of the sport in a few weeks.

But enough about Red Bull Racing

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Gigi Galli posted:

Did you never go in to Bolzano/Bozen? You could move that whole city in to Austria and not notice a difference. It's a neat town.

Yeah I lived v close to there (Trento). I agree with the sentiment - it had Austrian food, etc. But if I remember right, the people still looked Italian.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

GramCracker posted:

I'm there with you OP. The Brackley Boys will pull through

I'm still a believer that the car they've built has hidden, excellent performance assuming they can deal with the porpoising issue

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

anybody who isn't excited for Haas points means they don't want to see happy Guenther and if you don't want to see Guenther happy you can go gently caress yourself

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My snake is called Guenther and I appreciated that post.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Caught up with the race; my pet peeve was how neither Croft nor Button seemed to understand how gaps work in VSC. It happens in some endurance races as well where under VSC the commentators are incredulous that somebody has pulled out such a big gap under the virtual. The VSC freezes the gap in distance between the vehicles by controlling the speed of the vehicles. They seem not to freak out that lap times are down but then fail to apply this same logic to the gaps.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
i have 5 gallons of apple pie mead I need to rack and backsweeten.

Thought you would appreciate that.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Lucasar posted:

Caught up with the race; my pet peeve was how neither Croft nor Button seemed to understand how gaps work in VSC. It happens in some endurance races as well where under VSC the commentators are incredulous that somebody has pulled out such a big gap under the virtual. The VSC freezes the gap in distance between the vehicles by controlling the speed of the vehicles. They seem not to freak out that lap times are down but then fail to apply this same logic to the gaps.

they are very stupid

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
VSC is a highly fraudulent "safety" feature and any decent honorable motorsport series would just do what they do at LM24 which is virtual pit lane sectors. Shocking and criminal that Formula "One" rejects these obvious steps.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

VSC is a highly fraudulent "safety" feature and any decent honorable motorsport series would just do what they do at LM24 which is virtual pit lane sectors. Shocking and criminal that Formula "One" rejects these obvious steps.

How do those work, the affected sectors are under the pit lane speed limit with no passing?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mercedes can fix the aero issue all they want and if the power unit is still very clearly dogshit it won’t matter much.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Lucasar posted:

The VSC freezes the gap in distance

What? No, it doesn't. That wouldn't make sense.

At best, it roughly maintains the time deltas (gaps) between cars. In practice, some drivers benefit from it and some get screwed.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

learnincurve posted:

My snake is called Guenther and I appreciated that post.

I wanna see the coolest snake in the thread, please

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Mercedes can fix the aero issue all they want and if the power unit is still very clearly dogshit it won’t matter much.

It's most likely a mix of both, and the easiest one to fix will be the aero issues. and I don't know if on current evidence any of the engines are "clearly dogshit," they're maybe 1% off one another but it's still too early to truly tell. considering that the Mercedes is still running in the top-end mix, it's likely that the Ferrari made gains versus the Honda and Mercedes, but it's also likely very small margins. Most important is it appears the Renault has actually made some big steps too, so we could be in a case where all four of the power units are close to one another.

marshalljim posted:

At best, it roughly maintains the time deltas (gaps) between cars. In practice, some drivers benefit from it and some get screwed.

yep, it's supposed to allow the time differences be kept while reducing speed.

going down to 80 kph for the Slow Zones is a hell of a shock but it works well, especially on the longer tracks and in mixed category racing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Solkanar512 posted:

How do those work, the affected sectors are under the pit lane speed limit with no passing?

There are sensors around the track and if an incident happens in one area, that area can be switched into virtual pit lane. So when the cars pass the sensors into that area, they have to be doing pit lane speed which is something very low like 30mph. If they're doing over 30, a sensor catches it and they get a fairly big penalty. Then when they exit that virtual pit area, they go back to normal racing. Makes everything very slow and safe in the incident area but allows the race to continue everywhere else. Very sensible and logical and reliable, as opposed to "driving to a delta" or whatever asinine contrived thing based on laptime math that F1 came up with just to be different from ACO/WEC. Which still allows for high corner speeds if the drivers want to do it -- I think -- which is dangerous and defeats the entire loving purpose of a "safety" mode to the race.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

harperdc posted:

It's most likely a mix of both, and the easiest one to fix will be the aero issues. and I don't know if on current evidence any of the engines are "clearly dogshit," they're maybe 1% off one another but it's still too early to truly tell. considering that the Mercedes is still running in the top-end mix, it's likely that the Ferrari made gains versus the Honda and Mercedes, but it's also likely very small margins. Most important is it appears the Renault has actually made some big steps too, so we could be in a case where all four of the power units are close to one another.

Ferrari said during testing they made a 25hp gain on their engine for this year which if true probably puts the Renault up 10ish hp vs the Merc and Honda maybe less than 5 up on Ferrari.

This is all assuming that the Merc is unchanged from whatever party mode engine they deployed end of last year.

It’s also very cool that the equivalent of a mid level go kart or a high power pressure washer is making such big differences in the performance of the cars.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

Ferrari said during testing they made a 25hp gain on their engine for this year which if true probably puts the Renault up 10ish hp vs the Merc and Honda maybe less than 5 up on Ferrari.

This is all assuming that the Merc is unchanged from whatever party mode engine they deployed end of last year.

It’s also very cool that the equivalent of a mid level go kart or a high power pressure washer is making such big differences in the performance of the cars.

yeah, my high-level understanding is Ferrari had some experience with the E5 fuel so maybe have tuned better for E10, and the big one being the switch to the 800v high voltage system inside the car, which will help charge and discharge the system that bit quicker.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

marshalljim posted:

Doesn't it? A VSC is, in effect, just a track wide speed limit, so if you were three car lengths behind at 200 kph you'd still be three car lengths behind at 80 kph. But the time it takes to travel those three car lengths would be longer at the lower speed making the gap (in time) look longer even if the gap in distance is maintained.

Some drivers will benefit from it due to pit strategy options being created by those conditions, and also their precise placement on track during re-start could also theoretically be a compromising factor.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Cimber posted:

Does the audio we receive sync up to where he was on the track? We think he was passing the pit entrance, but did he get the audio before that?

In the recording he responded almost immediately to "box box" with "it's too late" or something to that effect.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

acidx posted:

In the recording he responded almost immediately to "box box" with "it's too late" or something to that effect.

yeah that was the second box box call, the first one was well ahead of the pit lane entry.

Edit: I just rewatched it. First box call was ahead of the last corner and then Lewis just drove past the pit lane entry and the engineer gave him the second "box box" after he missed it. But this one is 100% on Lewis lol.

BabyFur Denny fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 29, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Spatchcocked is what Mercedes' season has been so far.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

More dogs

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rebus posted:

(I don't recall anyone saying they saw porpoising on their tunnel models).

Out of interest: how much do vibrations from the engine and heat buildup influence such a scenario? The wind tunnel models are still smaller, correct? Like 1:2 or something like that? Or are they full size nowadays, and could theoretically house a running engine? Are the wind tunnel models the same weight (in regard to scale) than the real thing, with similar weight distribution?

Might not be a huge thing now with the biggers rims, but in the 13 inch days, a lot of suspension work was done by the tyres. Were the wind tunnel tyres able to replicate this, or is this not simulated, just pure airflow?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Quizzlefish posted:

Yeah I lived v close to there (Trento). I agree with the sentiment - it had Austrian food, etc. But if I remember right, the people still looked Italian.

Wow you must be very good at race craft to see the difference between Italians and austrians.

niethan fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 29, 2022

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Carteret posted:

I wanna see the coolest snake in the thread, please

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

niethan posted:

Wow you must be very good at race craft to see the difference between Italians and austrians.

I thought I would be picked up on this and had a longer message to specify what I meant but deleted it. I meant fashion rather than faces.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Also lol if you think that in a lineup of 30 randomly selected Italians with Guenther in it that he wouldn't look like the odd one out (despite being an Italian national)

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Quizzlefish posted:

Also lol if you think that in a lineup of 30 randomly selected Italians with Guenther in it that he wouldn't look like the odd one out (despite being an Italian national)

Günther would look like the odd one out regardless of the sample group

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Touche

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Tbf I also assumed he was Austrian based on his name and accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Lucasar posted:

This was legit hilarious, especially when it showed Max and Chale'sclerk on screen and crofty started babbling that he's "much closer there".

marshalljim posted:

Hi crofty,

If you're 100m behind a car and travelling at 100m/s, you are 1 second behind the car. If both cars slow to 25m/s at the same time, the distance will remain roughly equal and you will be 4 seconds behind the car.
Additionally, any slight time gain/loss you make or lose in making deltas counts for much less distance which becomes much less time when racing resumes.

If more people would take rudimentary mathematics, more people would find the VSC fair.