Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’d be surprised if the car itself didn’t simply have a tattle function.

Or not, I guess. It is Tesla.

I'm really curious to find out. But in the two, admittedly short, trips I have taken so far with it disconnected my safety score has changed to 92 from the default of 90. So meh?

Or maybe I will get a nasty email from them in a week or two. We will see.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Citizen Z posted:

The EV6s backup noise is kinda loud. I can hear it inside the cabin. I actually like it since I have a retaining wall on one side of my driveway and can't see approaching pedestrians. I'll take a nerdy beepy noise over running over a kid.

Yeah it's a spaceship sounding hum and I kinda love it. I can really only notice it if I'm not playing anything and now that I have wireless carplay sorted I don't really think about it.

Oh yeah I have a particularly stupid EV question: when I'm in i-pedal mode does the car automatically use the brake lights when I'm slowing down/stopping or are those only tied to the actual brakes?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah it's a spaceship sounding hum and I kinda love it. I can really only notice it if I'm not playing anything and now that I have wireless carplay sorted I don't really think about it.

Oh yeah I have a particularly stupid EV question: when I'm in i-pedal mode does the car automatically use the brake lights when I'm slowing down/stopping or are those only tied to the actual brakes?

Yes it will. It is a function of how fast you are decelerating.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The brake lights come on in my Model 3 when I am not using the brakes and slowing down with regen/1-pedal driving. I assume other EVs are the same but I don't know.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i can’t imagine how much time you’d be going in reverse to have the sound annoy you enough to disable it

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The PWS system has been standard on basically every single Tesla since early 2020 or even late 2019, way more of them have it than don't.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
please don't disable safety features on your automobile

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The spaceship hum is the low speed pedestrian warning for going forward. It also makes a vaguely beepy(but more pleasant) backup noise.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

disable your airbags they do more harm than good

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Wait that electrical noise hum Tesla’s make when they backup is a safety feature?

I thought that was just a noise Tesla’s make at low speed, like the EV equivalent of inductor hum

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

MustardFacial posted:

Wait that electrical noise hum Tesla’s make when they backup is a safety feature?

I thought that was just a noise Tesla’s make at low speed, like the EV equivalent of inductor hum

If you unplug the PWS system on basically any EV and drive it on clean pavement at less than 5 MPH they make no sound at all. Literally you can sneak up behind people in them and they won't notice till you enter their field of vision. My Tesla only plays the sound in reverse and does not play any sound in forward, people in parking lots have commented how just strange it is to see a car pull forward without making any sound.

I once saw a documentary video on Tesla and every time it showed one driving out a garage or something they dubbed traditional engine sounds over the video. EVs literally break peoples brains.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 29, 2022

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Given there's a long history of probations for disabling vehicle safety feature in this forum, this is an unwise discussion - do not disable safety features.

Knock yourself out talking about why/why not they exist but do not talk about disabling them.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 29, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My hybrid Accord doesn't have any sort of noisemaker so when I'm driving through a parking lot I have to roll down my window and yell "GET OUT OF THE WAY FUCKHEADS" when people are obstructing me

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The hybrid F-150 has forward "white noise" and a backup beep.

But it's OK because you can pretend you're a manly man driving an even bigger truck!

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

bird with big dick posted:

My hybrid Accord doesn't have any sort of noisemaker so when I'm driving through a parking lot I have to roll down my window and yell "GET OUT OF THE WAY FUCKHEADS" when people are obstructing me

There is a song made just for this situation.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Indiana_Krom posted:

If you unplug the PWS system on basically any EV and drive it on clean pavement at less than 5 MPH they make no sound at all. Literally you can sneak up behind people in them and they won't notice till you enter their field of vision. My Tesla only plays the sound in reverse and does not play any sound in forward, people in parking lots have commented how just strange it is to see a car pull forward without making any sound.

I once saw a documentary video on Tesla and every time it showed one driving out a garage or something they dubbed traditional engine sounds over the video. EVs literally break peoples brains.

Oh I’m well aware that they CAN be silent. My mom’s E golf doesn’t have PWS and the dead quiet all the time. I’ve only ever noticed Tesla’s make the noise and it sounded so close to an electrical hum that I assumed it was just the way they were.

Good to know it’s a safety feature.

[edit] actually now that I think about it, my wife’s XC60 recharge makes a similar noise when it backs up that I also assumed was just electrical noise

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 29, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Citizen Z posted:

There is a song made just for this situation.

What's the regulatory position on custom backup sounds?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I want Still D.R.E. to play out of a fake exhaust pipe when I back up

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

In the US it is against federal law to alter the backup sound or its volume in any way. This is why you can't customize the sound or anything like that.

Of course its also against federal law to tamper with/modify the engine or the ecu in a way that causes the car to no longer meet emissions standards (as they existed when the car was built, not as they are now) or to remove the catalytic converter. Of course people do these things all the time. Not trying to say that makes it ok, its just how things are.

Pretty much every car made after 1976 that has meaningful performance mods isn't street legal for this reason. They just don't enforce the rules.

Many local jurisdictions also have limits on how loud a car's exhaust is allowed to be. This is also pretty much never enforced.

I suspect that PWS tampering will end up in the same boat. Illegal on paper, but not in practice due to a total lack of enforcement.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 29, 2022

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Antillie posted:

In the US it is against federal law to alter the backup sound or its volume in any way. This is why you can't customize the sound or anything like that.

Of course its also against federal law to tamper with/modify the engine or the ecu in a way that causes the car to no longer meet emissions standards (as they existed when the car was built, not as they are now) or to remove the catalytic converter and people do both of those things all the time. Not trying to say that makes it ok, its just how things are.

Pretty much every car made after 1976 that has meaningful performance mods isn't street legal for this reason. They just don't enforce the rules.

It also defeats the point of a standard backup sound. If people can change it, it no longer means anything and loses its purpose of warning people that a vehicle is backing up nearby and they should be alert.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Antillie posted:

Of course its also against federal law to tamper with/modify the engine or the ecu in a way that causes the car to no longer meet emissions standards (as they existed when the car was built, not as they are now) or to remove the catalytic converter. Of course people do these things all the time. Not trying to say that makes it ok, its just how things are.

Many local jurisdictions also have limits on how loud a car's exhaust is allowed to be. This is also pretty much never enforced.

I suspect that PWS tampering will end up in the same boat. Illegal on paper, but not in practice due to a total lack of enforcement.

jfc how many times are you going to edit this post at some point you just need to stop and move on dude

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Deteriorata posted:

It also defeats the point of a standard backup sound. If people can change it, it no longer means anything and loses its purpose of warning people that a vehicle is backing up nearby and they should be alert.

This is a good point. It makes me wonder why they didn't standardize on the beeping sounds that large trucks have been making when they reverse for literally decades and that most people already associate with a reversing vehicle for exactly that reason.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

lmao at someone arguing that gutting your cats is okay in the EV thread

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Deteriorata posted:

Backup sounds are already not standardized. There are various beeps and that weird dying bird thing some amazon vans do.

Pretty sure if a car started blasting "Back that thang up" I'd get the message.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
The Tesla “wubwubwub” reverse sound has the nice effect of raising its pitch with increasing speed. It seems to do a good job of catching pedestrians’ attention. Maybe also because it’s very annoying.

I recall not being very offended by the Mach-E noise, either. A friend of mine has a 10-ish year old hybrid that sounds like a box truck when it’s in reverse. Even if there’s no “standard sound,” I wonder if we’ll start seeing more unique and brand-specific EV noises in a few years.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Cockmaster posted:

I'm 99.9% certain that's largely due to many people being too lazy to take work-out lithium batteries and busted electronics to get recycled. Which would probably not be a problem for EV batteries.

I suspect it's also somewhat due to the pain of having to deal with like 5 billion different sizes and formats of batteries, whereas with cars, there's going to be like a billion identically sized cells out there.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Antillie posted:

No all older Tesla's were built without a backup sound. Only the new ones have it.

Yeah the way I look at this is that the lack of a backup sound was an oversight in the older models, and that oversight got fixed in the newer models. I agree that the Model 3 reverse sound is kind annoying, but it seems like a very bad idea to disable it

For reference in case someone hasn't heard it, here's the Model 3 reverse sound. Some people seem to really like it, maybe it's genetic like how to some people cilantro tastes like soap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IZJ9gZX-MI

And for comparison, this is the Polestar 2 reverse sound. I kind of like it, it's very gentle on the ears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWB5QPCp6Fs

Deteriorata posted:

I don't think this point works, many cars have completely different backup sounds; listen to the two videos above for instance. The Polestar's is at least recognizable as a beep pattern, but the Model 3 sounds like a 1950s flying saucer.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah the way I look at this is that the lack of a backup sound was an oversight in the older models, and that oversight got fixed in the newer models. I agree that the Model 3 reverse sound is kind annoying, but it seems like a very bad idea to disable it

Or more likely, the regulation requiring it was not in full effect until the year they started doing it. This is also likely why some foreign market vehicles have buttons to disable the sound in markets other than the US

quote:

The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued its final ruling in February 2018, and requires the device to emit warning sounds when travelling at speeds less than 18.6 mph (30 km/h) with compliance by September 2020, but 50% of "quiet" vehicles must have the warning sounds by September 2019.

quote:

The PWS system has been standard on basically every single Tesla since early 2020 or even late 2019, way more of them have it than don't.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

On a motorcycle, being able to disable safety features is a feature you pay extra for a lot of times.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
As somebody who walks dogs in a large city for a living, please don't disable your reverse sound. Thank you.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I like the reverse sound, because it warns me that I am in reverse.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It honestly feels selfish to disable the backup warning sound. It’s not for you bro.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Antillie posted:

I also disconnected the PWS speaker so it no longer makes that spaceship sound when backing up. The only snag is that it didn't come with a front license plate mount. Which is supposed to be included since my state requires license plates on the front. I spoke to the lady who dropped it off at my place and she told me to make a service appointment for it. Now to find out if they will bring it to my place or if I have to drive down to the showroom and pick one up.

This is so incredibly selfish. The sound isn’t for you, it’s for vulnerable road users who aren’t rolling around in a 4,000lb metal can. “I don’t drive like an idiot and I’ve never ran anyone over before” yeah great except they could hear your ICE car before and all it takes is one time.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Speaking of reversing sounds, who is it for really? Anyone care to chime in?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

This is so incredibly selfish. The sound isn’t for you, it’s for vulnerable road users who aren’t rolling around in a 4,000lb metal can. “I don’t drive like an idiot and I’ve never ran anyone over before” yeah great except they could hear your ICE car before and all it takes is one time.

People in wheelchairs are infinitely harder to see even with back up cameras, those and kids are huge beneficiaries of warning sounds for things going on around them. Also yanno, blind people. I bet none of those three crossed this fuckwit's mind. Also lol at sliding a Civic into unpowered reverse into a street with no power steering or braking properly engaged and no engine available in case of brake failure. What an rear end in a top hat.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 29, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

People in wheelchairs are infinitely harder to see even with back up cameras, those and kids are huge beneficiaries of warning sounds for things going on around them. Also yanno, blind people. I bet none of those three crossed this fuckwit's mind. Also lol at sliding a Civic into unpowered reverse into a street with no power steering or braking properly engaged and no engine available in case of brake failure. What an rear end in a top hat.

“gently caress the handicapped” -cool guys who wanna go their own way and don’t like being told what to do by the Man, man(TM), at basically any point in history

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

“gently caress the handicapped” -cool guys who wanna go their own way and don’t like being told what to do by the Man, man(TM), at basically any point in history

I’m from the future and let me tell you where this ends

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m from the future and let me tell you where this ends

you know how many lifestyle lolbertarians and business lords still hold a grudge over the ADA?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

you know how many lifestyle lolbertarians and business lords still hold a grudge over the ADA?

Considering I literally enforce ADA in my city and make sure all work in the ROW complies with it, yeah I really do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Considering I literally enforce ADA in my city and make sure all work in the ROW complies with it, yeah I really do.

:smith: