Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

WhatEvil posted:

I think it's also interesting to consider that had it been The Rock instead of Chris Rock, Smith probably wouldn't have slapped him, IMO.

i doubt the rock would have insulted his wife, whom he owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Speaking of which, Smith has put out an apology https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1508586563390754817

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

hes a good lad

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

The real answer is that they both acted in a lovely way.

I don't know why people have such a problem conceiving that this could be true. It's the same poo poo as we've seen with Putin Vs. Ukraine/The West.

"But who's right!?!" Nobody. Everybody involved is poo poo.

What I'm saying is, Will Smith is literally Vladimir Putin.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

WhatEvil posted:

I don't know why people have such a problem conceiving that this could be true. It's the same poo poo as we've seen with Putin Vs. Ukraine/The West.

Mr Smith my people are yearning for freedom

please slap boris johnson

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i am a work in progress

fortunately i am able to outsource the work to the lowest bidder

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I'm just going to preface this by saying that I am a 100% Alex Jones-style truther on this, I'm absolutely convinced it was a work, and will willingly go over this poo poo frame by frame like the Zapruder footage if needed.

That said - I think people are overreacting with the "wife = property" angle of the story. I've gotten to the threshold of a fight on more than one occasion when people have taken the piss out of friends, and I certainly don't consider them to be my property (If nothing else I couldn't afford taking on the level of legal liability for some of the poo poo they've got up to this would entail), and did once "accidentally" kick a ball right in the bollocks of someone taking the piss out of a deaf lad on our team. The person I was "defending" had his own agency, but - to lapse into the vernacular - the geezer was bang out of order, and I didn't think what he was doing was acceptable and lost my temper.

Everyone has internal lines that they don't believe should be crossed, and the positions of those lines can be very variable and the reaction when they're crossed even more so.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

yeah but theres a bunch of stuff wrapped up in gender stuff around agency that doesn't apply to lads on the footie field. ridley scott should re edit the oscars from will, chris and jada's points of view.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm just going to preface this by saying that I am a 100% Alex Jones-style truther on this, I'm absolutely convinced it was a work, and will willingly go over this poo poo frame by frame like the Zapruder footage if needed.

same tbh, when I originally saw the footage I was like "lol this is pathetic kayfabe" but now everyone is claiming this is the new 9/11

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
He lost his temper is all. I don't condone unnecessary violence but like, someone took a cruel jab at someone he loves and his anger flared and he expressed it that way. I don't think this is necessarily a gendered thing or a sexist thing, unless we count that the joke itself was loving sexist and gross as poo poo, taking a swing at a woman's unconventional appearance.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah, but you gotta turn this take into something provocative if you want that Comment Is Free gig

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

this is the dumbest tv thing people have gotten worked up about since janet jackson's nipple

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
they're both in the wrong, but I find Smith's actions a hell of a lot more understandable than Rock's

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I find it just bizarre to even have, or feel like you have to have, a particularly advanced opinion on this whole matter. One guy made a particularly cruel insulting joke about another guy’s wife, the husband got emotional and smacked the first guy in the face. It’s the kind of thing that happens all the time, everywhere, without much comment. I suppose if you had to categorise it, it would be in the “bad” column. If we were all ascended enlightened figures, this sort of thing probably wouldn’t happen. If this happened between two of your acquaintances you’d probably think something along the lines of “well, he shouldn’t have hit him, but he did kind of have it coming” and then likely never think about it again, other than to awkwardly bring it up when drunk with the pair of them a while later.

But it didn’t happen to two of your boring friends in your boring life, it happened to two of the most famous people on the planet in full view of the cameras and audience at the biggest celebrity event of the year and was broadcast around the world. This made it extremely remarkable, but it didn’t actually affect the morality of the event in any way. But ludicrously, it made the entire pundit class feel like they had to construct some kind of wider philosophical point out of the whole thing, because being obliged to churn out an SEO-friendly article about the thing that everyone is talking about, or incredibly tenuously tying it to the completely unrelated subject you actually want to talk about, is just how modern “journalism” works. But even more bizarrely, because of the influence these chumps have on our society, ordinary people have started to feel like they also had to have some kind of thesis on these events. You don’t. It’s just a thing that happened, that’s all.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Comrade Fakename posted:

I find it just bizarre to even have, or feel like you have to have, a particularly advanced opinion on this whole matter. One guy made a particularly cruel insulting joke about another guy’s wife, the husband got emotional and smacked the first guy in the face. It’s the kind of thing that happens all the time, everywhere, without much comment. I suppose if you had to categorise it, it would be in the “bad” column. If we were all ascended enlightened figures, this sort of thing probably wouldn’t happen. If this happened between two of your acquaintances you’d probably think something along the lines of “well, he shouldn’t have hit him, but he did kind of have it coming” and then likely never think about it again, other than to awkwardly bring it up when drunk with the pair of them a while later.

But it didn’t happen to two of your boring friends in your boring life, it happened to two of the most famous people on the planet in full view of the cameras and audience at the biggest celebrity event of the year and was broadcast around the world. This made it extremely remarkable, but it didn’t actually affect the morality of the event in any way. But ludicrously, it made the entire pundit class feel like they had to construct some kind of wider philosophical point out of the whole thing, because being obliged to churn out an SEO-friendly article about the thing that everyone is talking about, or incredibly tenuously tying it to the completely unrelated subject you actually want to talk about, is just how modern “journalism” works. But even more bizarrely, because of the influence these chumps have on our society, ordinary people have started to feel like they also had to have some kind of thesis on these events. You don’t. It’s just a thing that happened, that’s all.

Sometimes, people enjoy talking about things that happened, especially if those things are unusual (very famous people do not usually smack each other at awards shows) and slightly interesting (is violence ever justified?). I can't speak for the pundits. Well I can, they're chasing views and therefore money. But the reason ordinary people are chatting about it is that it's interesting. An interesting event.

e: it's gossip, you know? People like to gossip

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Sometimes, people enjoy talking about things that happened, especially if those things are unusual (very famous people do not usually smack each other at awards shows) and slightly interesting (is violence ever justified?). I can't speak for the pundits. Well I can, they're chasing views and therefore money. But the reason ordinary people are chatting about it is that it's interesting. An interesting event.

e: it's gossip, you know? People like to gossip

Yeah, that’s my point. Gossip is fine, and understandable. But this has descended into “but what does this mean for our society!?” “Here’s a searing takedown of one side of an extremely common squabble” “Here’s how Will Smith hitting Chris Rock relates to Chinese geopolitical posturing, a subject I am an expert on”.

This is a big event, that people are going to remark upon. But those remarks don’t have to, and frankly shouldn’t, be much more complicated than “holy poo poo the Fresh Prince slapped that famous comedian in the face on the stage at the Oscars!!”

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tesseraction posted:

Yes, he was not right to be violent

Disagree. Actions have consequences, and sometimes consequences for heinous poo poo means other people don't have to face that heinous poo poo.

The rear end in a top hat getting slapped in the face for mocking someone else's health condition deserved it, and the discourse is probably a good thing overall in this case.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
More comedians should be slapped.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

same tbh, when I originally saw the footage I was like "lol this is pathetic kayfabe" but now everyone is claiming this is the new 9/11
There has been some absolutely derranged combing-over of the footage with people insisting that because Smith initially laughed and then his face changed & he went up, Jada must have ordered him to do it. Which is mysogynistic in the opposite direction to the property angle.

More likely he laughed to be polite, and then it clicked what the reference meant, saw she was upset, and snapped.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Male pattern baldness is another form of alopecia, but it's OK for, say, Gervais to say that Karl Pilkington "has a head like a loving orange" every chance he gets, but it's not OK for Chris Rock to suggest Jada Plinkett Smith get a role in fictional movie GI Jane 2.

Edit: I'm mainly pointing this out because I recently saw the "learn English with Ricky Gervais" video on YouTube, and while I think Gervais is painfully unfunny, he goes on at length about Karl's baldness making him resemble a hairless testicle etc., and it's all seen as good fun even though Karl seems to hate it. Ricky definitely deserves a slap too

Rabelais D fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 29, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
No one seems to get the principle of 'talk poo poo, get hit'

:decorum: has destroyed your brains

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
You know what they say: loose lips get stitches

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
On a more thread-relevant note, have any Elden Ring-ers noticed that the Misbegotten look like Boris Johnson?

The hair is too neat, but otherwise I think it's uncanny.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

WhatEvil posted:

I read that Putin vs. Kayne West at first.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
I'd like Will Smith to smack the poo poo out of more people, starting with Ricky Gervais and Jimmy Carr

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

therattle posted:

Oh, so that’s why a man has to speak and act on her behalf.

Like you're doing?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Oh dear me posted:

Like you're doing?

Forums poster therattle misogynoir-istically mansilencing the victimised multimillionaire Scientologist

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Some lass got aggro with me in a bar a while ago & my girlfriend threatened to do a violence, v disappointed to learn that this means she sees me as her property

Ghost Leviathan posted:

No one seems to get the principle of 'talk poo poo, get hit'

:decorum: has destroyed your brains
This. It is the most fundamental aspect of the social contract, everyone is free to take the piss out of whomever they like but by doing so you implicitly accept the chance that you might get smashed in the face for it.

All of society is built upon this fundamental axiom.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Oh dear me posted:

Like you're doing?

Oh poo poo, what’s Jada’s username? Is she Jaelani?

(If she was actually in this forum then yes, I’d have been white-knighting her. But she’s not and I’m not).

There are some views in here that I disagree with but I see where they’re coming from. Your comment was just silly. (Unless you were joking in which case the jokes on me for not getting it).

therattle fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 29, 2022

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

therattle posted:

Oh poo poo, what’s Jada’s username? Is she Jaelani?

(If she was actually in this forum then yes, I’d have been white-knighting her. But she’s not and I’m not).

There are some views in here that I disagree with but I see where they’re coming from. Your comment was just silly. (Unless you were joking in which case the jokes on me for not getting it).
It was a bit silly, but the point stands that you're presuming a lack of agency, because she's a woman. This will often be the case in these types of scenarios, but not necessarily. In my example above, of course there's no implication that I lack agency, but my girlfriend was much better equipped to deal with the situation than me so she just did it. Conversely, there are situations where I am better equipped to deal with the situation, including most situations involving actual or threatened violence. In the Smiths' situation, had Jada stood up for herself it would have attracted all kinds of lovely comments about how she can't take a joke, it would all have been loaded with racism & misogyny (we'd definitely have heard the word "uppity" quite a lot) - I don't know or care enough about their relationship to know whether it's something she actually wanted to happen or not, but I would definitely be prepared to do violence if someone was upsetting my partner in a way that she wasn't as well equipped to deal with as me, for the same reason that I do the household chores involving heavy lifting, it's just fair division of labour.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I would smack the comedian who mocks my wives appearance, but that's because I am an aggressive neanderthal suffering from toxic masculinity, and view her not as a partner but as chattel.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm sure she much prefers this outcome, where half the planet is involved in tedious discussions about her being bald, cheating on her husband, and their family being weirdo Scientologist freaks, rather than her just eye-rolling (which she did) and the show carrying on because nobody ordinarily cares about weak awards show jokes that reference minor 90s movies.

It seems pretty obviously all about some multimillionaire guy with a fragile ego and emotional problems making a tit of himself in a very public setting. And yet people are banging on like it has any relevance to their lives so they can say "yeah I would commit sick ultraviolence if a balaclava man scissor-kicked my wife in a Tesco carpark". Like, ok, that's marvellous

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

therattle posted:

Requiring people to do or say nothing when they see someone be hurt is poo poo, whether or not she is in the room.

If someone talks over me or shoves me aside or similar, then they're denying me agency. But having your own reaction independent of mine is not.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 29, 2022

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

therattle posted:

Oh, so that’s why a man has to speak and act on her behalf.

(I do t think anyone has missed it, or that it affects the discussion much).

Just to be an annoying devils advocate because I'm bored on a Tuesday:

Interesting that you presume her feelings in this scenario, instead of waiting to hear her voice on the matter. You're making decisions for her just like you're accusing him of doing.

He was laughing at the joke initially. She could have very well leaned over and said "I can't believe you're laughing about this, go up there and hit that motherfucker for disrespecting me again."

It is a very binary view of women to believe that they have never advocated for or requested violence be done on their behalf.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Is boris going to get a party fine today?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is boris going to get a party fine today?

No hes going to get a party, fine today?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

If not for the slap I don't think I'd have realised the Smiths were scientologist.

But on the other hand I'd have not had to hear about this bollocks for more than 24 hours so not really worth it

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 29, 2022

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I think it’s pretty funny to go up on stage on national tv and slap Chris Rock for taking the piss out of your wife’s medical condition, and if anyone did that for me I’d think that was quite nice of them. Not that they thought they owned me. People sometimes slap or otherwise do minor acts of violence against each other. It’s a lot healthier than a 90 tweet screed or whatever’s sadly replacing the humble smack.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

OwlFancier posted:

The thing that strikes me is that a lot of people seem to have a... strangely absolutist stance on it?

Like ultimately chris rock was talking poo poo about smith's wife and smith (presumably being fond of his wife) slapped him for it.

Which, to me seems fine? But a lot of people seem to be trying to wind it into an argument about violence by different people in different situations where I don't really think it applies? If I was talking poo poo about someone then getting a belt for it is just... in the range of things I think I should expect to happen? More severe violence I might take issue with but an ultimately harmless but shockling and presumably painful slap is like... ok fair enough I see your point.

Ultimately that seems like a fairly agreeable resolution to the situation? As you say presumably they would not have an issue with the cops arresting a guy which is significantly more violent, or the judicial system generally. Or even the implicit violence of power dynamics in society, but just a smack on the gob is very concerning? I dunno, between two adults and not as a part of like an established relationship dynamic I just don't know if I could really raise a coherent objection to it? It seems extraordinarily tame given the amount of violence in society and particularly the kinds of it you more commonly encounter? Honest, almost.

Like if someone was making fat jokes about my girlfriend I think that smacking them would probably be a good thing to do? Not necessarily the best thing but certainly not a bad thing, because I know those hurt her a lot and I also know people who make them won't stop without correction. That seems like an expedient form of correction, and better than just letting it slide? Why should other people have to suffer so that some rear end in a top hat can make jokes?

Yeah basically agree with 100% of this. Talk poo poo, get hit. It’s actually a lot less damaging to social fabric than putting it in writing.

The 1920s Chinese intellectual Lin Yutang had an amazing line on this that I’ve always liked: if someone upsets you, the best thing to do is to let it go, if you can’t let it go hit them, if you can’t do that then explain to them why it upset you, and if you can’t do that then write it down. The reason is that letting it go is best for your relationship afterwards and putting it in writing is the most guaranteed to make things worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is there going to be an April thread because I just found these nightmare images of a path never taken.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 29, 2022