Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

If a country suffers a total loss of a war, then the winning side can just do what they want, no peace negotiations or treaty needed anyway.
I'm thinking of a situation where at some point in the future the country that lost the war is governed by rule of law and somebody has to decide whether any territory had been signed away legally or not. If not, then the country can pursue its return. (There are of course practicalities and politics to consider, but in principle.) This makes it less valuable for the winning party.

I don't see how it makes it less valuable for the winning party unless those practicalities and politics are actually meaningful and relevant. If a country can only pursue their return in principle but not in practice, why should the winning party care? What matters is whether the rest of the world feels the territory had been signed away legally or not, and more pertinently to be honest, whether the world can pretend the territory has been signed away legally or not. The west is willing to go to bat with sanctions for Ukraine and its people right now while they're in the middle of an active invasion and we're seeing maternity hospitals blown up. Will they be willing to go to bat with sanctions for the Ukrainian Constitutional Court?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://twitter.com/MrKovalenko/status/1508519883780284431?t=4Ln403vRG8sU5c6jv2yR_g&s=19

Took them long enough, now we'll see if they've adequately prepared Russian public opinion for this move.

It's not totally implausible but I'd hold out for a more reputable source than this guy tbh
https://twitter.com/MrKovalenko/status/1508535165978566660?s=20&t=fWRvQ-pI-htiF62IIxsByQ

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://twitter.com/MrKovalenko/status/1508519883780284431?t=4Ln403vRG8sU5c6jv2yR_g&s=19

Took them long enough, now we'll see if they've adequately prepared Russian public opinion for this move.

Sanctions chat: Even if Putin is bluffing now, and it's certainly a move that slows the devaluation of the ruble for a few days, I'm pretty sure this Fall/Winter the EU will waver and pressure Ukraine for a settlement, because I really don't expect a lot of EU countries to be able to wean themselves off Russian gas by then.

I suspect the US will be more then happy to sell them gas and get it in bulk along with Qatar.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Aertuun posted:

https://twitter.com/jsuedekum/status/1508751047648497669

"Jens Suedekum, Professor of International Economics, Heinrich-Heine-University Düsseldorf — Advisory Board German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs"
How is this not lunacy on Russia's part? Explain it to me like I'm in 1st grade.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

GaussianCopula posted:

People making GBS threads on this should keep in mind that the Russian army is an army of the poor minorities in Russia ("country bumpkin" is a word frequently used to describe them) and not the middle class who are invading Ukraine along major roadways. When they go looting, they are probably going for middle/upper class parts, so that might add to the distorted view they have.

I went to Russia in 2012 for a family trip taking the Trans-siberian railroad from east to west. One of our stops was at Lake Bikal, the famous freshwater lake. The roads there were so absymal that it was just straight impossible to drive upon. All the drivers were driving on either side of the road on the grass because the road itself was a nightmare. All of those cars were tearing up the mud and grass on the side of the road and rendering it just as undrivable as the road proper. This wasn't a backwater road, this was the main highway to the lake and the smaller roads were even worse. The car felt like a washing machine with how much it rolled, going up hills with so many exposed tree roots it was like stairs.

The entire country felt post apocalyptic in a way I've never seen anywhere else. I saw waterfront skyscrapers in Vladivostok with every single glass window broken, just these skeletal buildings you could see right through. I saw beautiful western style mansions surrounded by clustered and rusting shacks. There were huge tank depots visible from the railway. At one point there was a wildfire that the train just drove right on through without giving a single gently caress and it felt like the country was burning down and nobody could be arsed to stop it.

And then we got to Moscow and it was immediately obvious where all the money in the country had gone. Moscow is a black hole sucking in all the resources of that vast nation and the further you get from it the poorer it gets.

Thanqol fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 29, 2022

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I suspect the US will be more then happy to sell them gas and get it in bulk along with Qatar.

The LNG terminals aren't there to cover the quantities needed, and they can't be built that quickly.*

*not an expert, but that's the aggregate impression I've got.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

How is this not lunacy on Russia's part? Explain it to me like I'm in 1st grade.

If you are convinced you are going to have a fight, and the situation is going to only get worse from now on, then you might as well have the fight now and go all-in because what other options do you have?

This is also how WW1 starts.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Alchenar posted:

If you are convinced you are going to have a fight, and the situation is going to only get worse from now on, then you might as well have the fight now and go all-in because what other options do you have?
Has Germany et al definitively rejected the rubles proposal? Sounded to me like the debate was still ongoing? Would be weird to preempt that decision by just cutting off delivery beforehand

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1508774654940520448?s=20&t=ckYC3lIZNrZAqeMJOnNhfA

How long before Putin countermands this?

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 29, 2022

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm Irish, we did exactly this with the northern quarter of our country a hundred years ago. Results have been mixed.

Sure getting annexed wasn't ideal, but if it happens you want to at least get yourself a rich sugar-daddy imperialist, not a poor shithole one who can't support the people they already have.

I live in the north and it's actually a pretty good life, I reckon any separatist areas incorporated to Russia will probably have a much worse quality of life than even economically deprived locations in Russia.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

PerilPastry posted:

Has Germany et al definitively rejected the rubles proposal? Sounded to me like the debate was still ongoing? Would be weird to preempt that decision by just cutting off delivery beforehand

Yes, German government has confirmed they are not interested in paying in rubles and Russia will have to break its delivery contracts. Don't know about the rest of Europe. Probably the same, current mood is for more sanctions not to reduce them.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PerilPastry posted:

G7 rejected it unanimously yesterday.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

The LNG terminals aren't there to cover the quantities needed, and they can't be built that quickly.*

*not an expert, but that's the aggregate impression I've got.

That's always a matter of cost. Things can be built in very short time frames if it is important enough and government is willing authorize the required expenditure. Let's cancel the Femern bridge and spend that money on LNG terminals and restarting the inactive gas fields in the North Sea - or even better we can stop burning gas, which is happening at several rigs, because we don't have the infrastructure to handle the amount of gas we're pumping (at least as of January 2022). Also, the Tyra rigs are behind schedule mostly due to labor shortage, which is a money problem.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
:nms:https://twitter.com/DavidPuente/status/1508472943663357963?t=M3cnQj579Y8iuxoqUIwdJg&s=19

This is a thread in Italian, but the site of the POW shootings has been geolocated to East of Kharkiv, and the letter that showed up afterwards has been debunked for having used an OTS token signature, if I understand the auto-translate correctly.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

PerilPastry posted:

It's a bit more difficult actually. While the G7, including Germany, have rejected the Russian demand to pay in Rubel, the contracts are with private companies, therefore the G7 only "recommended" to continue to pay in Dollar/Euro.

Now the private enterprises that have deals with Gazprom have to decide what they want to do - and what they can do without violating sanctions.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Xachariah posted:

Sure getting annexed wasn't ideal, but if it happens you want to at least get yourself a rich sugar-daddy imperialist, not a poor shithole one who can't support the people they already have.

I live in the north and it's actually a pretty good life, I reckon any separatist areas incorporated to Russia will probably have a much worse quality of life than even economically deprived locations in Russia.

Imperial colonialism by definition extracts resources from its colonies, with rare exceptions they are not interested in bankrolling their colonies. That kind of backwards thinking leads to "the British gave India trains" and other similar kinds of brain-spiders

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

It's a bit more difficult actually. While the G7, including Germany, have rejected the Russian demand to pay in Rubel, the contracts are with private companies, therefore the G7 only "recommended" to continue to pay in Dollar/Euro.

Now the private enterprises that have deals with Gazprom have to decide what they want to do - and what they can do without violating sanctions.

Paying in Rubles requires finding a bank willing to break sanctions - and a Chinese bank which is willing to deal with Russia might not be willing to facilitate the sanction breaking of a European company, because that might very well lead to consequences for very little gain. It's also quite risky from an exposure point of view - a lot of the derivatives used to handle fx risk simply aren't available at the moment for the relevant fx crosses.

For example, Danish Ørsted has a contract for Russian gas. If they want to make payment in Rubles they need to buy those - which means transferring Euro or Kroner to a third party in exchange for Rubles. Ørsted's bank would ask "where is that massive chunk of money going?" and then reply "oh you're trying to bypass sanctions? sorry, no can do - we'd be complicit and we don't want to be". So even if you find someone willing to let you buy Rubles and handle the transfer of those to the Russian counterpart - your own bank will likely shut down that plan.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Nail Rat posted:

Florida, Alabama, hell most of the south, and as someone in Chicago, almost all of Illinois. Including all of the suburbs.

Pretty much all of the ‘Red States.’ I would give them up before the fighting started.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

Pretty much all of the ‘Red States.’ I would give them up before the fighting started.

It seems like there are already efforts underway to preemptively donate them.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Sevastopol did not fall until 1942; and yes, by late 1941 the Red Army largely knew what it was doing.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Imperial colonialism by definition extracts resources from its colonies, with rare exceptions they are not interested in bankrolling their colonies. That kind of backwards thinking leads to "the British gave India trains" and other similar kinds of brain-spiders

Northern Ireland is highly dependant on fiscal subsidies and this is one of the potential impediments to formal re-unification with Ireland. So yeah, I'd rather be part of a reunited Ireland, but at least London beats Moscow as a sugar-daddy. Silver linings.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

There has been some progress on the negations, I guess. But can only find Russian and Finnish tweets.
I guess the best way is the google translation.

As a bonus, Pro-Putin telegram channels reactions.

Have no idea what it really means and does it go to Putin hows going to use it as toilet paper cause they are running out of paper.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

PerilPastry posted:

How long before Putin countermands this?

Or you just say you're doing it to increase trust, when you are massing force in the east in case Ukraine doesn't agree to your terms.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Captain Kosmos posted:

There has been some progress on the negations, I guess. But can only find Russian and Finnish tweets.

Have no idea what it really means and does it go to Putin hows going to use it as toilet paper cause they are running out of paper.

None of these look viable. If Zelenskyy actually goes with this, Russia will just invade against at a later date. The military neutrality is especially concerning. Telling Ukraine to be non-militarily involved with the EU is a total non-starter.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ZombieLenin posted:

Sevastopol did not fall until 1942; and yes, by late 1941 the Red Army largely knew what it was doing.

I think the door has swung, as is often the case, too far from the old trope of a completely inhumane red army that only won through sheer numbers, towards a new and also flawed extreme of "actually the red army was very competent and advanced and nuanced". Red army performance in WWII was marred by massive bumbling idiocy throughout the war, even during the periods when it reached its peak. The siege of Sevastopol was primarily a showcase of the value of prepared defenses, rather than of the comparatively great skill of the red army compared to contemporary Russia. The question is, do any significant defenses exist at Sevastopol today, not is Russian army capable of holding them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Captain Kosmos posted:

Yeah, i dont trust poo poo about this until other sources come out. hell i won't believe any negotiations until there is some big "we made a decision" press conference from both sides.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Rotacixe posted:

Or you just say you're doing it to increase trust, when you are massing force in the east in case Ukraine doesn't agree to your terms.

"Me getting my rear end kicked and being forced to retreat and regroup is actually a real olive branch if you think about it"

CommieGIR posted:

None of these look viable. If Zelenskyy actually goes with this, Russia will just invade against at a later date. The military neutrality is especially concerning. Telling Ukraine to be non-militarily involved with the EU is a total non-starter.
Ruling out military-political alliances on the one hand and suggesting the likes of Poland as a security guarantor seems really weird too. Wouldn't that, in effect, be a defensive treaty?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Xachariah posted:

Northern Ireland is highly dependant on fiscal subsidies and this is one of the potential impediments to formal re-unification with Ireland. So yeah, I'd rather be part of a reunited Ireland, but at least London beats Moscow as a sugar-daddy. Silver linings.

We in N.I. are an embarrassment to the current government atm due to being better off than them trade wise (silly, silly Brexit) and they would like us to simply vanish from their agendas so they can focus on their "Singapore On Thames" wet dream. :rolleyes:

edit: spelling

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 29, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PerilPastry posted:

Ruling out military-political alliances on the one hand and suggesting the likes of Poland as a security guarantor seems really weird too. Wouldn't that, in effect, be a defensive treaty?

It entirely is. If this is real, Russia is trying to walk a line to do a Budapest Memorandum II and leave it just as weak as the previous one. If Zelenskyy bites this take, Russia is just trying to delay to reform their forces and finish the deal and leave Poland in a position of having to fight Russia.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Mainly I don't see how "not joining military-political alliances" and "eu is ok" are compatible. Or how Poland or Turkey can be guarantors of anything if military contigents or cooperation isn't allowed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

Mainly I don't see how "not joining military-political alliances" and "eu is ok" are compatible. Or how Poland or Turkey can be guarantors of anything if military contigents or cooperation isn't allowed.

That too. Its full of doublespeak.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Moscow thinks EU defense agreements are worthless. I'm not sure what they're worth, honestly.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

CommieGIR posted:

It entirely is. If this is real, Russia is trying to walk a line to do a Budapest Memorandum II and leave it just as weak as the previous one. If Zelenskyy bites this take, Russia is just trying to delay to reform their forces and finish the deal and leave Poland in a position of having to fight Russia.

These terms are the stupidest crap possible and make me feel vindicated in being wary of negotiations. If Zelensky accepts this, he’s not very smart.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Captain Kosmos posted:

It was posted by Reuters too
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-sets-ceasefire-goal-new-russia-talks-breakthrough-looks-distant-2022-03-29/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1508770673795256322

https://twitter.com/kevinrothrock/status/1508787131933671431

DOOMocrat posted:

Moscow thinks EU defense agreements are worthless. I'm not sure what they're worth, honestly.

EU falls apart the second they’re not upheld.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

steinrokkan posted:

I think the door has swung, as is often the case, too far from the old trope of a completely inhumane red army that only won through sheer numbers, towards a new and also flawed extreme of "actually the red army was very competent and advanced and nuanced". Red army performance in WWII was marred by massive bumbling idiocy throughout the war, even during the periods when it reached its peak. The siege of Sevastopol was primarily a showcase of the value of prepared defenses, rather than of the comparatively great skill of the red army compared to contemporary Russia. The question is, do any significant defenses exist at Sevastopol today, not is Russian army capable of holding them.

I’m not saying that this isn’t a fair analysis, but it really isn’t fair to say that Red Army whose counter attack in December and January of 1941 threw the Wehrmacht back from Moscow, and then in late 1942 during Operation Uranus threw the Germans out of the Caucasus and South East Russia, and surrounded the German 6th Army in Stalingrad was a bunch of bumbling idiots on the scale we see the modern Russian Army in Ukraine.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
But surely Russian withdrawal will be immediately followed by a massive rebuilding and strengthening exercise by Ukraine with the help of the EU and NATO?
Russia can complain to the UN about the newly installed AA all along the border but Ukraine can just say "what you gonna do about it?"

Putin isn't the only one that can renege on any agreement and we're back to square one but this time Ukrainian cities aren't being shelled.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

These terms are the stupidest crap possible and Make me feel vindicated in being wary of negotiations. If Zelensky accepts this, he’s not very smart.

I don't think they're too bad if EU is actually ok. If that's true, it's 100% a face saving measure on russian part, because EU does have collective defense which can be increased further it at any point. In fact there have been discussions even prior to the war.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

So remember: This is likely the same tactic Russia pulled last time there was a supposed agreement: They tout and shout about their agreement to try to help push back sanctions, but Zelenskyy then comes out and calls their bluff.

If this is only from Russian sources, its probably more of the same as last time. Russia, thusfar, has never announced agreements in good faith.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

CommieGIR posted:

So remember: This is likely the same tactic Russia pulled last time there was a supposed agreement: They tout and shout about their agreement to try to help push back sanctions, but Zelenskyy then comes out and calls their bluff.

If this is only from Russian sources, its probably more of the same as last time. Russia, thusfar, has never announced agreements in good faith.
The second paragraph starats with "Ukrainian negotiators said"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

EU falls apart the second they’re not upheld.

If the only deterrent Russia will recognize is a nuclear one that leaves the French Force du Frappe as the sole adjudicator in the EU, and Russia probably wagers there's no odds of anyone knew taking over other than an even more milk toast corporateist or an extreme fascist that's on their side. I don't think the RF is scared at all, as long as they can wait.