Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got the Series X a few days ago, and after a few days of use it's solved every issue with Plex I've been having on the Shield Pro. No more restarting a video 3-4x before it will play, or weird menu hangups when moving to next episode in a series. And probably the best fix for me is that now I can finally click on an actors picture and it brings up every movie I have with them in it. Really annoyed me that it never worked on the Shield version of the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Tea Bone posted:

I had some seemingly inexplicable streaming issues a while back. Everything was local so upload speed couldn't have been the issue.

I finally found out my smart TVs network cards was the issue. Even though I was hard wired, it was still capping out under 100mbs. From what I can tell most smart TVs have low quality network cards. Your probably fine with 14GB files but it's something to be aware of.

My Plex server is running off my shield, not my TV.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

nexus6 posted:

My Plex server is running off my shield, not my TV.

Ah sorry, I thought you meant your users were having problems not you?

If it's just you that's havingg problems ignore me.

If it's that your other users are having problems it could be their device not your upload speed. Again though a 14 gig file should be fine anyway.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It’s cool that I got downloads working, but it would be better if I could limit it to “on same network as server” or something.

I’d like to leave the airplane wifi turned on to get messages, but I really don’t need to be hammering the $8 internet and my phone battery trying to download several gigs of video every time I finish an episode.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Tea Bone posted:

Ah sorry, I thought you meant your users were having problems not you?

If it's just you that's havingg problems ignore me.

If it's that your other users are having problems it could be their device not your upload speed. Again though a 14 gig file should be fine anyway.

Oh, I see what you mean. Both me and users are/were having issues but users were having more i.e. files that play fine for me were not working for them. Though it's hard to say for certain whether files weren't working or users weren't patient enough to wait for it to load - probably spoilt by Netflix automatically starting. Regardless, smaller size files appear to have resolved the issue, if there was in fact an issue.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Heads up for those who share externally, Plex apparently made changes and no longer considers an email address to be a valid username. They're assigning out usernames to anyone who has just an email and at least based on a sample size of one so far, they might need to login again.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
In the "Shield has an inexplicable problem" category.

The Shield can't see my Synology NAS when trying to add remote storage. I posted logs to NVidia's support forums and got quick and great response. They claim that my "NetBIOS" isn't working and the Shield be able to perform a NetBIOS resolution even when trying to add manually via an IP address.

Fun part is that it Plex sees my the NAS Plex server fine, and other apps from the Play store can find it fine. Likewise for everything else on my network with shares ongoing. The Shield can even find those with no issues.

If anyone has a weird crazy idea on something to try I'm all ears, but pretty much at a loss at this point and going to turn the Sheild into a playback machine to the TV.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IOwnCalculus posted:

Heads up for those who share externally, Plex apparently made changes and no longer considers an email address to be a valid username. They're assigning out usernames to anyone who has just an email and at least based on a sample size of one so far, they might need to login again.

I’m sure this won’t cause any confusion or issues among the people who simply sign up to get a Roku or whatever app for their tv to share their friends content.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
This isn't a Plex issue but I expect this thread is likely to have people who know what's up.

I have a shield which I use as a streaming box (TV is a Sony Bravia if that matters, I'm not sure of the model). When watching Plex or Netflix on it a banner intermittently pops up at the top of the screen showing the HDMI channel, sound mode, resolution and time, as though I'm switching HDMI channel. Sometimes the sound will cut for a split second as it happens.

It's always happened but it's gone from once in a while to almost every 5 minuets or so.

I've tried to Google what's up but it's either just me whose experienced it or I haven't hit on the right search terms.

Did anyone in this thread have any ideas?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Tea Bone posted:

This isn't a Plex issue but I expect this thread is likely to have people who know what's up.

I have a shield which I use as a streaming box (TV is a Sony Bravia if that matters, I'm not sure of the model). When watching Plex or Netflix on it a banner intermittently pops up at the top of the screen showing the HDMI channel, sound mode, resolution and time, as though I'm switching HDMI channel. Sometimes the sound will cut for a split second as it happens.

It's always happened but it's gone from once in a while to almost every 5 minuets or so.

I've tried to Google what's up but it's either just me whose experienced it or I haven't hit on the right search terms.

Did anyone in this thread have any ideas?

sounds like you're dropping sync for a fraction of a second. I'd try a new cable to start.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Qwijib0 posted:

sounds like you're dropping sync for a fraction of a second. I'd try a new cable to start.

Thanks, it seems to have corrected itself for now but I'll try switching out the cable if it starts again.

Now something that is a Plex issue... I have a handful of TV shows I've converted to mp3 so I can listen to them. I'd like it so the name of the show is the artist and the season number is the album. I've added them to Plex with the recommended directory structure: Music -> Show -> Season -> Episode. But Plex still picks them up as "unknown artist" and "unknown album". I've tried fixing the ID3 tags and doing the Plex dance but that still doesn't seem to work, but I'd rather avoid having to ID3 everything anyway I just have a basic FFmpeg shell script doing the work.

So far my solution is to manually tag them in Plex which is a bit of a ball ache since Plex won't let you just tag an entire directory, and there's not even a "select all" option inside the directory.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Are you trying to use Plexamp rather than the main player? If not, seems like shoving the mp3 audio in an MKV with no video track and naming them like the video scanners expect is a much easier path.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Qwijib0 posted:

Are you trying to use Plexamp rather than the main player? If not, seems like shoving the mp3 audio in an MKV with no video track and naming them like the video scanners expect is a much easier path.

I'm not using Plexamp but I do use Sonos to listen to them so yeah, unfortunately they do need to be in an audio container.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
ID3 tags seem like the cleanest option for your use case then-- tv show is the "artist", season is the "album" and then the ep is the track number. A utility like mp3tag can use file names to bulk edit tags, and then just make a new music library that's those files, and not worry about directory structure really.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

nexus6 posted:

A Plex server is just one of the many things I use my Shield for, can't imagine going back to an actual computer hooked up to the TV and trying to watch YouTube or Netflix in a browser. It's just annoying that Plex doesn't work properly sometimes - how do I get loading spinners for local media? Kodi just plays it!

Fewer links in the chain.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

As someone who is a complete newbie to plex and the thread - is this a solid option to go with?

I just want to be able to create a plex server to connect two tvs to for very basic streaming/watching of stuff I’ve downloaded (no sharing, no watching on the go, etc.). Bonus points if I can connect a USB HDD that I have lying around to this to act as storage rather than buying a new HDD or SSD. I guess the question would be whether this is new enough to have USB 3.0 ports, if that matters?

Would this be good, or is the answer still “shield is the easiest out of the box even if it’s more expensive”?

edit: oh wait that's out of stock, nm :doh:

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 28, 2022

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SgtScruffy posted:

As someone who is a complete newbie to plex and the thread - is this a solid option to go with?

I just want to be able to create a plex server to connect two tvs to for very basic streaming/watching of stuff I’ve downloaded (no sharing, no watching on the go, etc.). Bonus points if I can connect a USB HDD that I have lying around to this to act as storage rather than buying a new HDD or SSD. I guess the question would be whether this is new enough to have USB 3.0 ports, if that matters?

Would this be good, or is the answer still “shield is the easiest out of the box even if it’s more expensive”?

edit: oh wait that's out of stock, nm :doh:

There's other sellers for those.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I’ve done the “pc in a closet” for a Plex server for years and I’ve never had any issues. My server also runs sonarr/torrents/vpn and that’s also been rock solid. I’ve seen that particular pc mentioned before in Plex forums but the only thing I don’t know offhand is how good it is at transcoding. I think if you have hardware acceleration going it’ll be more than enough but that’s a Plex pass feature. Hopefully someone else here would know if it’d be an issue or not.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My plex server is a small Lenovo ThinkCentre M93. I think its an i5, 8 GB RAM, and a small on board HD with a USB drive plugged into it.

Works well at everything but transcoding to play over the internet, even then it works it just sounds like a jet engine taking off. I think I spent like $120 for it off of eBay. It'll do BluRays just fine locally as well.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The Celeron G5900 has quicksync. If you have plexpass, it will HW transcode ~20 streams.
I imagine it'd take at least 10 streams to kick the fan speed up to anything noticeable.

Recommending the shield is really out-of-date information now. You can buy a mini-server and a lifetime plexpass for less and you'll end up with more functionality for other things (*arr / backup / file-serving).

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My plex server is a small Lenovo ThinkCentre M93. I think its an i5, 8 GB RAM, and a small on board HD with a USB drive plugged into it.

Works well at everything but transcoding to play over the internet, even then it works it just sounds like a jet engine taking off. I think I spent like $120 for it off of eBay. It'll do BluRays just fine locally as well.

I paid 200 something for a similar model (though I guess mine is a tower?). Lots of not even that old business desktops on ebay. I rapidly required pairing it with a NAS though

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

New Beta has an intriguing update to it, I can't personally think off hand of any issues I'm currently having that this will fix but I'm sure others with different library types (anime perhaps?) would find this useful. https://support.plex.tv/articles/plexmatch/

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Seems like a way to have dir naming schemas that don’t match the usual necessary naming schemes needed for Plex. I could see that being useful if your need it a certain way for personal preference but don’t want to try and wrangle it to working with the scanner. That or forcing the matter if/when the scanner gets wonky. Doesn’t much matter for *arr users but it’s a nice optional QOL option.

Violator
May 15, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

New Beta has an intriguing update to it, I can't personally think off hand of any issues I'm currently having that this will fix but I'm sure others with different library types (anime perhaps?) would find this useful. https://support.plex.tv/articles/plexmatch/

Ah thanks for the heads up, I have a show with wonky seasons that this should really help out.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was watching Nat Geo's Air Crash Investigation aka Mayday recently.
Half the seasons I got from a Linux distro site follow the Mayday (UK & Canada) episode order and the other half follow the ACI order.
This would actually fix that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oof jeez, that would be one of those things I'd be forever putting off to fix until I finally had the inspiration one afternoon to fix properly and make the necessary steps to ensure it never breaks again.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

12TB Easystores were $190 on BestBuy yesterday, already up to $220. I really need to replace a dead drive, but these things always drop at the worst time for me.

if now's better, 14tbs are $200 today.
https://www.amazon.com/14TB-Elements-Desktop-Drive-WDBWLG0140HBK-NESN/dp/B07YD3G568
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-14tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6425303.p?skuId=6425303

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah the universe still paying attention then, as I spent $400 on myself last weekend so absolutely cannot justify this. But the frequency of good pricing again is super encouraging!

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Is Plex server for Windows constantly crashing almost daily for anyone else?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Think my friend had to roll back his Windows install the other day, when that new beta release came out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Blooster posted:

Is Plex server for Windows constantly crashing almost daily for anyone else?

I can’t watch more than 3 videos in a row before it crashes.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yes. It's been crashing since the latest update on Windows. There are a lot of people posting in the Plex support forum and the dev team is aware. There is a dev in the forum that will send you a private beta version, if you send him your log file. I'm just gonna wait for them to push out the stable fix.

Housh fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 2, 2022

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Sucks it's happening but I'm glad it's not just me (sorry). I figured I had some TV show episode somewhere in some weird format that a friend or relative was trying to play and that it would take me a month to figure it out.

I wonder what's causing it. It really sucks because it's missing a ton of live TV recordings which is obviously a result of the drat program being closed every time I check on my server.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Enos Cabell posted:

Got the Series X a few days ago, and after a few days of use it's solved every issue with Plex I've been having on the Shield Pro. No more restarting a video 3-4x before it will play, or weird menu hangups when moving to next episode in a series. And probably the best fix for me is that now I can finally click on an actors picture and it brings up every movie I have with them in it. Really annoyed me that it never worked on the Shield version of the app.

Why does the Plex app suck so much on the Shield? Is there a way to install a less lovely version on the Shield? Like the one meant for Fire sticks or something? They're both Android

I legit have to select a TV show or movie five times before it finally plays. My server is a brand new core i7 with 64gb of ram and solid state storage. Plex really sucks sometimes but there's no better alternatives.

I've been dealing with the issue on my Shield TV (episodes never starting) for probably a loving year now and they still haven't fixed it. Even with active threads on the issue.

They're smart to offer a lifetime subscription because if I was paying monthly for this poo poo I would have canceled it on month 2.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Blooster posted:

Why does the Plex app suck so much on the Shield? Is there a way to install a less lovely version on the Shield? Like the one meant for Fire sticks or something? They're both Android

I legit have to select a TV show or movie five times before it finally plays. My server is a brand new core i7 with 64gb of ram and solid state storage. Plex really sucks sometimes but there's no better alternatives.

I've been dealing with the issue on my Shield TV (episodes never starting) for probably a loving year now and they still haven't fixed it. Even with active threads on the issue.

They're smart to offer a lifetime subscription because if I was paying monthly for this poo poo I would have canceled it on month 2.

It's super frustrating. My guess is the user base for the Shield/android versions is small enough that they don't spend any dev time on it at all.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Enos Cabell posted:

It's super frustrating. My guess is the user base for the Shield/android versions is small enough that they don't spend any dev time on it at all.

Wow I would legit think that Android was a vast majority of their users. There's that many Rokus and Apple TVs out there?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My guess is developing a single version that works for all Apple TVs is a lot easier than taking into consideration all the Android variants and how many different ways they can find to stray from the path.

The Shield is the platform I see recommended the most, but also the one I see that people have the most issues with too.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Blooster posted:

Kodi with its Plex plugin works ok for me, if you can tolerate the uglier UI.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Shield is also Android TV, which Google have abandoned. Not regular Android, though you can sideload normal Android apps onto it. It’s just a coin flip whether they work with a remote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
The appleTV app isn't perfect either, I still have to use the old video player or else half the time my audio sync is off. Also there's a weird bug where at the user switch screen whatever was paused just starts playing so you miss part of a show ad you're choosing a user.

Despite all that it is still the easiest way to get media on devices in and out of my house including on tivoes and other deprecated endpoints that continue to work, mercifully.

plex is a land of contrasts.