Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

3090 Ti reviews are apparently dropping today. The MSRP of the Founders Edition will be $2000, and apparently some stock is expected at Best Buy? Not sure if that stock will show up today or later this week. Don't buy it lmao

AIB cards will be $2500+ most likely. This is Nvidia taking the bad press for a $2000+ GPU now so that people are more accepting of the much-better-performing 4090 when it launches at the same price later this year.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
MS says direct storage will also free up the CPU. I think they mean throughout, not just during load times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz_2kXeChCw
from last week

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Peachfart posted:

I just want a 3060ti at msrp, because my poor old 970 is falling behind/getting really old.

it was the white whale at launch but that's for sure shifted to the 3080 now. keep looking, some are our there

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

That is really tempting. Puts my total build at well under $2,500 after tax & shipping.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

apparently the brand new 600w power connector is already not enough for the ultra high end meme cards

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1508785551473848328

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
3090 Ti just dropped at Scan, £1,879 :v:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

aaand it's already sold out

edit: oh they have FEs in stock still if you go via nvidia

https://www.scan.co.uk/nvidia/products/3090ti/ythgn89iikthd

bargain

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE8ssnSqgZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDcA0c-Ahq0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWS9G2WT42Q

Plus four different AIB reviews from TPU I won't link individually: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/?category=Graphics+Cards&manufacturer=&pp=25&order=date

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i see steve is taking up weightlifting

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

repiv posted:

aaand it's already sold out

My understanding is that nvidia is making this one in very small quantities. The binning was more difficult than anticipated and ultimately it's just meant to be a chart topper in rasterization benchmarks in an attempt to stave off the 6950.

edit: there are some in stock at newegg:
https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce...&quicklink=true
https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce...&quicklink=true

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i was looking at AIB models, scan haven't sold out of FEs yet if someone desperately wants to spend that much on a graphical card

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

"Includes eLeash"

The eLeash:

lmao that support brackets are now a part of gpu marketing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

My understanding is that nvidia is making this one in very small quantities. The binning was more difficult than anticipated and ultimately it's just meant to be a chart topper in rasterization benchmarks in an attempt to stave off the 6950.

so is it actually a proto-4000 series card, or did that turn out wrong?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

so is it actually a proto-4000 series card, or did that turn out wrong?

The theory is that the board design is a prototype for top-end 40-series cards. The GPU itself is still just GA102, the same GPU that the 3090, 3080 Ti, and 3080 (10gb and 12gb) use. The theory about the board design won't be proven true or untrue until the 40-series actually comes out.

edit: Some people think that this may be a test-bed for 4090 coolers too, but idk, there's a very big difference between 450W and 600W, if that second figure turns out to be true.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's a very plausible theory, it's hard to see why every AIB would go to the trouble of designing brand new boards for this ultra-niche product this late in the generation

but if it's true that AD102 is pin-compatible with GA102 then these exact board designs will get used again for the 4080/4090

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

repiv posted:

it's a very plausible theory, it's hard to see why every AIB would go to the trouble of designing brand new boards for this ultra-niche product this late in the generation

True, and this also goes for the coolers since everyone seems to be using new, bigger heatsinks, even though I said I doubt it's for the 4090. But maybe the 4090 will be "just" 500W (the leaks all do give a range).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

According HU's Steve, Nvidia is still pushing that ridiculous 8K gaming marketing line

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
seems more sensible than the front+back design of earlier cards

of course, that's a heck of a lot of densely packed heat to move

https://twitter.com/aschilling/status/1508792019459715074

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

didn't they have to put VRAM on the back originally because 2GB G6X modules weren't a thing yet

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rinkles posted:

According HU's Steve, Nvidia is still pushing that ridiculous 8K gaming marketing line

“Gaming in resolutions that you can’t buy a monitor for yet”

-Nvidia marketing dept

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

“Gaming in resolutions that you can’t buy a monitor for yet”

-Nvidia marketing dept

turn on DSR and set your 4k monitor to run an 8k downscaled image to eliminate jaggies

OBVIOUSLY

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
You would need a 50" monitor and sit 3-4 feet away to actually benefit, how many pc setups are like that?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you know it never until this moment struck me what an incentive GPU companies have to push eternally impractical resolutions, lol

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Collateral posted:

You would need a 50" monitor and sit 3-4 feet away to actually benefit, how many pc setups are like that?

Hey, that is how far I sit from my 55" TV I game on all the time!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The $2k GPU hit is so the electrician doesn’t look expensive.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/ComputerBase/status/1508810661056364556?t=d1ts2UMiUcot14EefrLLNw&s=19

Fractal are about to sell a lot of Torrents

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

this site does meticulous cooler reviews, btw

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Pushing 8k makes absolutely no sense. We're at least a decade away from being able to consistently do 4k 240hz, and until we can push that I DEFINITELY have no interest in higher resolution. Nvidia's sunk all this effort into pushing high refresh and low latency, they should keep sticking to it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's not like nvidia is actually wasting any effort on making 8k happen, they already had DLSS and all they did is add an extra preset for 1440p->8K scaling

their marketing people just really want to promote it for some reason

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The end goal is not practicality, it's to thrust the consumer video card market into the same realm as the audio market, wherein consumers overpay for diminishing returns that are not perceptible to human biology

They have assessed, imo correctly, that their hobbyist userbase has the means and desire to overpay for more pixels

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Where do those diminishing returns start showing up? I have a 1060 i'd like to replace but I'm not sure what to get. My instinct was to finally buy a card that was better than the normal mid-range I go for, but is something like a 3080 TI a waste of money? Obviously I'm not getting a 3090 TI

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Not a Children posted:

The end goal is not practicality, it's to thrust the consumer video card market into the same realm as the audio market, wherein consumers overpay for diminishing returns that are not perceptible to human biology

They have assessed, imo correctly, that their hobbyist userbase has the means and desire to overpay for more pixels

The end goal is just more performance, and I don't think nvidia cares what you're using it for. If they think they can hook the few rich people with 8K TVs by marketing 8K for the 3090, then they will, but marketing is all it is.

What console manufacturers push has a far greater impact on the gaming industry. Sony and MS's decision to push the 4K angle on the PS4 Pro and XBox One X was horribly idiotic and disruptive.

PoopShipDestroyer posted:

Where do those diminishing returns start showing up? I have a 1060 i'd like to replace but I'm not sure what to get. My instinct was to finally buy a card that was better than the normal mid-range I go for, but is something like a 3080 TI a waste of money? Obviously I'm not getting a 3090 TI

The difference between the 3080 Ti and the 3080 10GB is about 12 - 15% more performance for 45% higher price when going by the current newegg prices. So that's where the diminishing returns really kicks in.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

EoRaptor posted:

I'm less confident. Nvidia has learned people will pay high prices for a GPU, and that will be reflected in what they offer to OEM's.

This also isn't a lesson lost on AMD, and intel has sunk a bunch of money into this that they will want to recoup. If no one blinks, could be tough times for video card prices.

I re-read back to the 22nd to make sure I hadn't glossed over this lovely slide from last week's investor thing:

Jeff Fisher, Senior Vice Present NVIDIA (as quoted by PC Mag) posted:

Looking into the millions of desktop GeForce gamers who we know have upgraded their GPU to a 30-series, they are buying up... The GPU is offering more value than ever. Based on our data, they are spending $300 more than they paid for the graphics card they replaced...

$300? I guess that's true if you only count people who had already overpriced 2xxx/Turing cards, but considering they specifically reference how many people still use GTX cards, I'm going to assume that isn't the case. It's true for people who went from like 1060 to 3060 and basically no one else. It was about $350 more for me to upgrade from a $400 GTX 980 ti to a $750 RTX 3080, which is a price that very few people were able to take advantage of. If someone bought a non-Founders Edition 3080 any time in the past 15 months, it's more like $500-600 more than their previous card cost, in all likelihood. Prices done hosed forever.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

it sort of depends on what you're playing, and what your monitor is / how far you want to push it, but at least for this generation the "sweet spot" of price-to-performance is the 3060Ti (assuming at or close to MSRP)

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

People are loving morons and just shouting 8K at the top of your lungs over and over will move units. My dad was getting a new tv and kept asking, 8k? 8k? Walk away from whoever is talking to you about 8k, dad. I think enthusiasts know the 8k is bad, it's the underinformed that are the target with that marketing.

DebonaireD fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 29, 2022

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

gradenko_2000 posted:

it sort of depends on what you're playing, and what your monitor is / how far you want to push it, but at least for this generation the "sweet spot" of price-to-performance is the 3060Ti (assuming at or close to MSRP)

I do have a 4k monitor but I don't think its one of those 120 mhz ones. Does the 3060 TI do okay with 4k?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DebonaireD posted:

it's the underinformed that are the target with that marketing.

That’s the target of all marketing, really. The people that are informed will make their purchase decisions based on that information, not marketing.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I guess because it's easier to push 8k to people on 60hz screens than it is to push 240hz to people on 60hz screens. People are indeed loving stupid.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

I do have a 4k monitor but I don't think its one of those 120 mhz ones. Does the 3060 TI do okay with 4k?

3080 would be what i recommend. 4k60 is a little much for a 3070ti unless you make settings compromises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Cygni posted:

That’s the target of all marketing, really. The people that are informed will make their purchase decisions based on that information, not marketing.

No, I'm pretty sure marketing works on informed people, too. I bought a 3d tv, man.