Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

uh

https://twitter.com/FACupFactfile/status/1508774916509904911?s=20&t=t-QvTFkdUbVllf_sPa0xmg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

ok look let's all stop distracting ourselves with these rich people hitting each other and get back to the important issues. let's take a look at our bold and sophisticated news media and see what hard hitting important questions are being posed to our politicians
All nuance about gender and genitalia replaced with a dozen vibrating glinners hissing "her pee nesss"

Also can confirm that even back in the halcyon days of the 90s an all (afaik at the time) male class, including the old instructor, had to confirm that we weren't pregnant before checking out radiological materials. Because the alternative if you don't is potentially worse. "Is it worse to not know?" is and always should be the safety metric.

Also reminded me that I read the most :britain: news comment today

mad at not just one but three things that exist entirely in my head

Just needs to work migrants/Islam/Travellers in somehow and it's bingo

Norman! They're building mosques outside again!

The Question IRL posted:

The part that gets me is how some people on Twitter are trying to explain how if you are discussing this being about a slap without looking at some other vantage point then you have missed the point or lost at social media.
Marcus Aurelius says that not everything that happens needs a take.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
plot thickens

https://twitter.com/StainesTownFC/status/1508801194847870981

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

e: beaten like the employees of Staines' parent company, or maybe not.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This is Streatham Rovers level stuff

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Alright I've taken off my pants, now what?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

e: beaten like the employees of Staines' parent company, or maybe not.

Their pinned tweet is one announcing the statement though

e: I’m assuming that the issue is simply site crashing from a huge rush of traffic

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

Alright I've taken off my pants, now what?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Noxville posted:

Their pinned tweet is one announcing the statement though

e: I’m assuming that the issue is simply site crashing from a huge rush of traffic

Oh poo poo, the statement on the club site has been deleted, the Twitter account is redirecting people to the waybackmachine cached page.

This is weird stuff.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So from what I can piece together, Staines' ground is on land owned (indirectly) by a hedge fund, and the owner of the club has been trying to buy it from them for years with court cases flying back and forth and the fans of the club not really trusting either party that much, and this is either the owner of the club going full purple-ink or someone trying to make it look that way.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/mrevgenylebedev/status/1508804181557190662

lol

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Apparently central London has had a big power cut

I hope the queen wasn't in a lift

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Apparently central London has had a big power cut

I hope the queen wasn't in a lift

I hope that's not how lifts work.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The backup generators on Brenda's iron lung just kicked in.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Apparently it caused the DLR to stop

So I hope the queen wasn't on the DLR

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I hope that's not how lifts work.

I mean they shoudn't crash but she would be stuck in it if the power went out. Lifts don't run on unicorn farts.

Though I suppose if unicorn farts are of a different density to air you could theoretically make a lift that used them as ballast.

Also you've now got me wondering if the saltburn cliff lift would run without power, I think it probably would but I don't know exactly how the operation functions, but I think it is just water powered and brake controlled, so it should get you to the end of the cycle at least.

Although at the moment granted it doesn't work at all because it's a victorian water idiot contraption but if it did work then it would probably work without power.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 29, 2022

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

OwlFancier posted:

victorian water idiot

Boris Johnson?

More of a custard idiot I suppose

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I was going to say Samuel Hahnemann, but he's more of a regency water idiot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Actually looking it up apparently it does still (theoretically) work and is generally quite reliable given its age, they just never opened it for the last few years because turns out locking twelve people in a tiny box is a bad idea. Hopefully it hasn't seized up cos it is quite fun. Also the source of the jeremy corbyn sickos image.

Also when looking it up I discovered the extremely victorian initial power source:

quote:

In 1924, an AC electrically-operated water pump was installed to replace the 1913 DC generator and pump arrangement, which had earlier replaced the coal gas-fuelled four-cylinder Crossley-built internal combustion engine-driven water pump.[1]

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 29, 2022

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Apparently it caused the DLR to stop

So I hope the queen wasn't on the DLR

I posted about it on the last page, but have since found out a bit more.

The big substation next to Poplar DLR went on fire. This took out (among other things) the lighting in the Blackwall, Rotherhithe and Limehouse Link tunnels, the radio system for the DLR (not the supply current itself but they can't run it without radio in case of emergencies), and power to most of Canary Wharf and other buildings built after about 1987 throughout Tower Hamlets. It makes sense in retrospect that power to the older buildings would come in a different way but it's still interesting how sharp-edged the divide seems to have been.

Still doesn't explain the power cuts in bits of Ilford, Greenwich and Hammersmith(?!) that seem to be connected, and have all now somewhat ominously changed on the UKPN site from a breezy "We expect power to be restored by 1500" to a rather less breezy "To Be Confirmed".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Actually looking it up apparently it does still (theoretically) work and is generally quite reliable given its age, they just never opened it for the last few years because turns out locking twelve people in a tiny box is a bad idea. Hopefully it hasn't seized up cos it is quite fun. Also the source of the jeremy corbyn sickos image.

Also when looking it up I discovered the extremely victorian initial power source:

Those Crossley gas 4-stroke engines are cool as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-9WC20YiwM

Basically a modern internal combustion engine but with all of it's working parts just hanging out in the open air so you can see them all working.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

The penis question is moronic but also simultaneously pretty ok as a moron filter
You can kind of ace the question though.

https://twitter.com/bloodberry_tart/status/1508168430859530242?s=19

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1508809750657617923

Pretty obvious at the time, in the absence of a Chair, the Vice-Chair Chairs the meeting. It's in the standing orders.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

CW: Transphobia

Angepain posted:

ok look let's all stop distracting ourselves with these rich people hitting each other and get back to the important issues. let's take a look at our bold and sophisticated news media and see what hard hitting important questions are being posed to our politicians

https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1508728282396692483
https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1508729013732265990
https://twitter.com/KayBurley/status/1508714461653307407

ok never mind

Just a reminder that some trans people ITT have asked that people don't just quote transphobia into the thread. Spoilers/CW tags probably a good idea.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

King poo poo

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Went to work yesterday after having a tooth removed, not the smartest thing I've ever done.

Speaking of not smart things. On the weekend a gang on the night shift said they'd been forced to work 13 hours because they'd worked from 8pm to 9am. No amount of explaining about the clocks going forward would move them. Still, 12 hour shifts are poo poo and can gently caress off.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Give them the extra hour imo

Government wants to create fake rear end hours, people should be paid for them.

Double pay if you have to work over the other one where there's two 1.30ams too because poo poo's confusing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the clock goes forward you've worked 13 hours, if the clock goes back you have worked 13 hours and also you should get an hour off next shift because you already worked that hour twice.

This is a bad picture of what I think is a little egret which I took because I have not seen one before and it was chilling in the river.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 29, 2022

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
that scottish tory leader bloke sure as hell got fat lol

just saw him on channel 4 news and it looks like he ate himself

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
and not in a sexy, acrobatic way

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

If the clock goes forward you've worked 13 hours, if the clock goes back you have worked 13 hours and also you should get an hour off next shift because you already worked that hour twice.

This is a bad picture of what I think is a little egret which I took because I have not seen one before and it was chilling in the river.

I remember at one place I worked there was a week-long argument on the mailing list for the NOC (at the time on the suicide shift pattern - 4 12 hour days, 4 12 hour nights, 4 off) about how overnight shifts should be handled on the switch to BST, including long and baroque derails about how even if you were on a day shift it still effected you because your shift ended at 7 pm one day and started at 6am the next.

The sharper of you might have picked up from that last one what the real problem was - the shifts always went on GMT *for precisely this reason*. It was the nerdier version of the bodybuilding.com 7 days argument (any excuse to post this):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eECjjLNAOd4

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1508840400781553668?t=65schp0Zz4mC9hu_hXo5Gw&s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Depends, is there a factional infight to replace him with someone even worse?

https://twitter.com/PrimeCatsmeat/status/1508813192792784905

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

Give them the extra hour imo

Government wants to create fake rear end hours, people should be paid for them.

Double pay if you have to work over the other one where there's two 1.30ams too because poo poo's confusing

This reminds me of a sequence in Mason & Dixon of the missing twelve days when they adjusted the calendar.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
How do the forums work? Was anyone probed and realeased an hour early? Next time I'm going to piss someone off just at the right moment to live out my smug 5 hour probation.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They used to switch off all the ATMs for at least 2 hours when the clocks went back, I'm not sure if any still do, but it was definitely over the stupidity of someone withdrawing money at 1.30am and then at 1.15am 45min later, even though the master log would have each line in UTC at some point.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Depends, is there a factional infight to replace him with someone even worse?

https://twitter.com/PrimeCatsmeat/status/1508813192792784905

Lol I wonder how much money he's spent trying to SEO the blackface pics off the internet

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean they shoudn't crash but she would be stuck in it if the power went out. Lifts don't run on unicorn farts.

Though I suppose if unicorn farts are of a different density to air you could theoretically make a lift that used them as ballast.

Also you've now got me wondering if the saltburn cliff lift would run without power, I think it probably would but I don't know exactly how the operation functions, but I think it is just water powered and brake controlled, so it should get you to the end of the cycle at least.

Although at the moment granted it doesn't work at all because it's a victorian water idiot contraption but if it did work then it would probably work without power.

Fun fact, Odessa has a funicular too.

Not sure if it's still running what with the current conflict though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We will all scatter like autumn leaves before the terrible posting power of the toddler raised in a world where nothing is forgotten. They will be asked their opinion, and we will all tremble before their pronouncements, while lesser beings shake their fists in impotent fury at "this you?" they will rise above it, great and terrible, cast from the crucible of twitter undeterred, unhindered, their antecedents burnt to ash by the blistering atomic heat of their takes.

Those unprepared to be ratioed should not enter the posting coliseum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

We will all scatter like autumn leaves before the terrible posting power of the toddler raised in a world where nothing is forgotten. They will be asked their opinion, and we will all tremble before their pronouncements, while lesser beings shake their fists in impotent fury at "this you?" they will rise above it, great and terrible, cast from the crucible of twitter undeterred, unhindered, their antecedents burnt to ash by the blistering atomic heat of their takes.

Those unprepared to be ratioed should not enter the posting coliseum.

This u?