Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

for all your tankie modeling needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

The Oldest Man posted:

Chinese pilots haven’t been tested in a fight

MacArthur: untested yellowskins won't win in Korea either

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Palladium posted:

MacArthur: untested yellowskins won't win in Korea either

I believe the last air to air kill made by an American pilot was in 1994 wasn't it lol

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Oldest Man posted:

I believe the last air to air kill made by an American pilot was in 1994 wasn't it lol

I dunno but an Iraqi Mig-25 shot down an F-18 in 1991

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

Nah it was on 9/11

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Danann posted:

Meskvich Kelkhez? What?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Danann posted:

Can’t go past a good old ‘Za Stalina!’ personally

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmfao that's the decal I put on all my russian vehicles in war thunder

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

i say swears online posted:

lmfao that's the decal I put on all my russian vehicles in war thunder

Hell yeah comrade

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

So is War thunder different from the "World of WarX" games? because I played those back in the day and they sound identical.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I think war thunder is the og version and also started with planes and expanded to tanks and most recently the ships but I don't think I've played since like 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Retromancer posted:

So is War thunder different from the "World of WarX" games? because I played those back in the day and they sound identical.

World of Tanks and World of Warships are from the same developer, but those are two different games, and their monetization/grind is pretty brutal. They tried to do a World of Warplanes game but I think it flopped and died.

War Thunder is by a different dev, and began its life as mainly focused on planes. They did branch out to tanks later, but it was well-planned-out enough that they're better integrated into the same game/ecosystem. I think the monetization scheme might be a little less punishing than what WoT does, and War Thunder's other distinguishing gimmicks are that A. it doesn't limit itself to just World War 2 and the timeline of available tanks and planes actually extends into the modern era and B. it has explicit modes for "arcade/casual" versus "realistic"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

and also sim mode but gently caress sim mode lol

cannot express enough how fun dogfights in biplanes are

Endman
May 18, 2010

Realistic mode is best for tanks; arcade mode is super fun for planes

Endman
May 18, 2010

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1508499560427048963?s=20&t=9qM-_pQp6VOIaXPZDXTx1g

Welcome back to the MIC, Canada

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

:owned:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

they'd be better off restarting the Avro Arrow project

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

88, huh

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

8 is a lucky number for Chinese people and we have a large Chinese demographic.

We also have a sizeable nazi demographic.

It's probably just a coincidence though.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

any time an F35 is sold I should get a return on my loving investment

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
France is the last major hold out now.

Also, the USN wants to halve its orders of f-35, it would rather keep the f-18 for some reason.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

just buy god drat super hornets ffs

this country is so stupid

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wheeee posted:

just buy god drat super hornets ffs

this country is so stupid

We already ruled those out last year.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/boeing-fighter-jets-1.6262851

quote:

Boeing has been told that its bid to replace Canada's aging CF-18s with a new fleet of the American company's Super Hornet fighter jets did not meet the federal government's requirements.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 04:12 on Mar 29, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm reading David Stahel's book on Army Group South during Barbarossa, and he goes into a little detail about how the Romanian Army basically exhausted itself trying to take Odessa with frontal assaults and other bad tactics, to the point where they took a hundred-thousand casualties just trying to take this one city (and they didn't even "take" it because the Soviets evacuated their coastal army over the Black Sea) and it got me thinking: what are good tactics and strategy when it comes to taking a city/urban combat?

Like, strategically maybe you want to destroy the enemy army before they ensconce themselves inside a city if you can help it, and politically you might want to see if it's possible to get them to not fight for the city block-by-block.

Operationally you'll want to invest/siege a city so that you starve them out instead of having to root out defenders out of every last basement and attic. Specifically the Axis failed to do this at Odessa because they never isolated the city from sea-borne resupply and reinforcement, and you kinda see the same thing happen with Stalingrad.

But assuming you DO have to start taking an urban area in house-to-house fighting... what is the playbook on that? how do you do it without going down in history as a dumbfuck commander that threw away his men's lives in frontal assaults?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm reading David Stahel's book on Army Group South during Barbarossa, and he goes into a little detail about how the Romanian Army basically exhausted itself trying to take Odessa with frontal assaults and other bad tactics, to the point where they took a hundred-thousand casualties just trying to take this one city (and they didn't even "take" it because the Soviets evacuated their coastal army over the Black Sea) and it got me thinking: what are good tactics and strategy when it comes to taking a city/urban combat?
Depends on if you want anything left to re-habitat and rule over. for a modern example, there's dubya's iraq war and fallujah. one of the most lopsided evil wars in human history and despite having enormous more equipment and manpower, it took america like a year to 'conquer' it and the only way htey actually conquered it was by bombing and completely wiping out 2/3rds of the city.

so yeah in a modern context, if you go all american on their rear end you just bomb it to smithereens until there isn't much left and bing bong now you "took" it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

oh drat those must be some wild requirements

quote:

The Liberals promised in 2015 not to buy the F-35, but to instead launch an open competition to replace the CF-18s. They later planned to buy 18 Super Hornets without a competition as an "interim" measure to ensure Canada had enough aircraft until permanent replacements could be purchased.

Some at the time questioned that plan, suggesting the Liberals were trying to find a way to lock Canada into the Super Hornet without opening itself up to a legal challenge from Lockheed Martin or any other jet makers.

But the government cancelled the plan after Boeing launched a trade dispute with Montreal aerospace firm Bombardier over the latter's C-Series planes. It later introduced a penalty on firms seeking a federal contract which have launched trade disputes with Canada.

Collins questioned whether the so-called "Boeing clause" played any part in the fighter jet competition — though officials have said it was not a factor as the dispute was resolved in Bombardier's favour in 2018.

oh

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Wheeee posted:

"requirements"

good ole grifting

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Like, strategically maybe you want to destroy the enemy army before they ensconce themselves inside a city if you can help it, and politically you might want to see if it's possible to get them to not fight for the city block-by-block.

Operationally you'll want to invest/siege a city so that you starve them out instead of having to root out defenders out of every last basement and attic. Specifically the Axis failed to do this at Odessa because they never isolated the city from sea-borne resupply and reinforcement, and you kinda see the same thing happen with Stalingrad.

But assuming you DO have to start taking an urban area in house-to-house fighting... what is the playbook on that? how do you do it without going down in history as a dumbfuck commander that threw away his men's lives in frontal assaults?

Yeah it's either starve them out or you level the city, anything else is going to involve heavy combat. You could also get cute with it and use poo poo like artillery and firebombs to kettle them but that's risky

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2021/02/23/the-us-air-force-just-admitted-the-f-35-stealth-fighter-has-failed/?sh=2e828d2c1b16

lmfao

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I remember when the F-22 was the poster child for a hyper expensive MIC boondoggle but next to the F-35 it looks like a goddamn masterpiece.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_bomb

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Retromancer posted:

I remember when the F-22 was the poster child for a hyper expensive MIC boondoggle but next to the F-35 it looks like a goddamn masterpiece.

Well, making moder jet fighter is hard.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
latest photo of the JXY/35. Wonder if the Chinese MIC overshoot their budgets as well.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Retromancer posted:

The F-22’s major problem was its colossal expense in not just initial purchase but ongoing maintenance.

Turns out trying to make a cheaper F-22 doesn’t work.

It’s also not cheaper lmao

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Endman posted:

The F-22’s major problem was its colossal expense in not just initial purchase but ongoing maintenance.

Turns out trying to make a cheaper F-22 doesn’t work.

It’s also not cheaper lmao

but they called it the raptor when jurrassic park was cool so im good. dont even miss health care or roads

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

GlassEye-Boy posted:

latest photo of the JXY/35. Wonder if the Chinese MIC overshoot their budgets as well.

is that weird lighting or is that jawn green

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

indigi posted:

is that weird lighting or is that jawn green

it's unpainted, it's that colour because that's the colour of the primer

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

The F-22 existing means that we will always have a bomb rear end endgame plane in Ace Combat, so clearly it was worth the $70 billion.

Even the arcadey flight game where planes carry 60 missiles into a sortie, routinely involve anime superweapons, and wars are turned on the actions of 1-2 ace pilots can't pretend the F-35 is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Retromancer posted:

The F-22 existing means that we will always have a bomb rear end endgame plane in Ace Combat, so clearly it was worth the $70 billion.

Even the arcadey flight game where planes carry 60 missiles into a sortie, routinely involve anime superweapons, and wars are turned on the actions of 1-2 ace pilots can't pretend the F-35 is good.

I can't wait for another Ace Combat game, the cheesy cutscenes and also addictive unlock system as you go through the campaign.

Project Wingman was a similar game that captured the best of the Ace Combat formula