Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 21, 2000)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Giant Ethicist posted:

Monya the Grey

Maybe try an iron and towel first, before trying to rig up a homemade straightener. Hell, having someone else do it is way safer then when I do it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

goddddddd I forgot how this arc just keeps getting worse and worse

e: for those who didn't read comic strips in canada 25-odd years ago, the next month of this poo poo is going to make you cringe almost as hard as those of us who did

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 29, 2022

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the context here that Lynn's child in real life is gay, in stark contrast to how he is being portrayed here as Mike? :yikes:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Samovar posted:

In today's Blueberry: In the words of Chinua Achebe - Things Fall Apart, or Blueberry gets upset at everyone, or Blueberry gets exceptionally upset at Vigo

I'm absolutely loving this. No matter how bad things get for Blueberry, there's always someone ready to betray him and make them even worse! :haw:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Twelve by Pies posted:

I can only assume that Holbrook finally saw comments from people somewhere saying it was hosed up that the snake got repeatedly transformed against his will, and this is his attempt to retcon poo poo to be less horrific. It couldn't have been this thread, or he'd have done it ages ago, maybe he saw comments on a hosting site or Twitter or something calling him out.

This was my assumption as well. It's a deep, deep rear end-pull.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Guindon

Gahan

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Payndz posted:

I'm absolutely loving this. No matter how bad things get for Blueberry, there's always someone ready to betray him and make them even worse! :haw:

Blueberry and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad adventure.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What is the target audience for new Mark Trail? Who is this for? Does it just exist to piss people off? Because it's not good, but it's also not bad in a fun way. And it's thrown out almost everything that anyone liked about the old version (whether genuinely or ironically).

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 6/7/48
Oh good. Tornado's staying. :geno:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/28/02

Brenda Starr 6/10-12/48

Smokey Stover 1/5/47

Everyday Movies 12/27/34

"Well, Miss Dana, and was Santa Claus good to you?"

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 25, 1950)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Luann

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

this rules.

also, thanks for posting Gahan Wilson! As a way-too-young kid I would sneak my dad's copies of Gahan Wilson and Charles Addam collections and read them in my room, so this is very nostalgic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "120 - Jucika Is Washing Strawberries"

"121 - Jucika And The Frogman"

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I really love both of these. Also "plaque"

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 25, 1950)

Takeshi's Castle was a good show.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 29, 2022

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Did Lynn know her son was gay when she made these strips? I vaguely remember a lot of newspapers not wanting to print them at all.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Did Lynn know her son was gay when she made these strips? I vaguely remember a lot of newspapers not wanting to print them at all.

I have no idea when the real Aaron Johnston came out; I do recall seeing an interview where Lynn said the story was inspired by her brother-in-law, who was also gay.

And yeah, the story did draw a lot of controversy and hate mail back in 1993.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Giant Days x Batman

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Night falls, which means it’s time for Susan to perform an out-of-context hover. A bit of classic J. Allison improvisation there. They’ll miss me when I’m gone.

Also, Allison has revealed the next Steeple story-line that he will be posting in may, after the Lottie story that starts in April. It looks like Shelley Winters will be heading back to Tredregyn. Note that the art on this comic will be done by frequent Allison collaborator Max Sarin. (I know not everyone likes Sarin's style of art)

also has anyone heard from Vargo? I've noticed he hasn't posted the past few days, which is a bit of a shame as two of the comics he regularly posts, Breaking Cat News and Wallace the Brave, just celebrated the fifth (BCN) and fourth (WtB) anniversaries of being printed in the newspapers. I hope he is okay.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 29, 2022

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The story was, iirc, extremely ground-breaking for the time. It was a big deal. It was something to be applauded when so much media simply refused to acknowledge that gay people even existed.

I've mentioned that my mother really liked foob back in the day. This story was one of the reasons why.

It also is so intensely uncomfortable to read now, and it really, really doesn't work when you pretend the strip is current day, at least because we've had gay marriage in Canada since 2005, but also because these are thirty year old attitudes. God, I live in a goddamn redneck city and it wouldn't feel right here.

1993 was four whole years before Ellen came out on her show, remember. The first movie I ever saw with an explicitly gay character was My Best Friend's Wedding, also 1997, and that was mildly shocking in a "quick glance at my parents to see their reaction" type of way.

So yeah, I'm cringing so badly, but also, the cultural context here really matters.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

M

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Kazinsal posted:

goddddddd I forgot how this arc just keeps getting worse and worse

e: for those who didn't read comic strips in canada 25-odd years ago, the next month of this poo poo is going to make you cringe almost as hard as those of us who did

I'm not going to say this is good or progressive or anything (especially since I haven't actually read this arc), but I do feel that this would have come off better 25-odd years ago. Ignoring the real life context (which is hard to do, but from the perspective of an average newspaper comics reader who doesn't keep up with authors' real lives), it seems like this will probably end with everyone accepting Lawrence for who he is (again, haven't read it, but I'm assuming) and a message of "Hey, some people are gay, and that's fine." Which for the time, would be fairly positive, and the reactions of Mike as a teenager in a culture where being gay was still frowned upon are what you might expect. As well as Lawrence saying "I wish I was normal" because yeah, at that point in time, gay people would have felt ostracized and as if they couldn't lead normal lives.

Now, all that said, even if you still ignore the real life context...this poo poo is really uncomfortable for modern day. Attitudes towards gay people have shifted dramatically in over two decades, and unless Mike was raised in a very religious household (which the strip hasn't shown is the case), this reaction from him feels incredibly out of place for someone who's been raised completely in an era where gay people are (mostly) fully accepted by society and can even marry. Like, honestly, the conversation should more or less go "Hey I'm gay." "Okay cool."

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double School edition)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Vicious jab

An early one, I think.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

oh the FOOB "Lawrence is gay" story was a goddamn media sensation in Canada when it first ran. It pushed Lynn's media presence to the next level and brought her a tier of celebrity/notoriety that isn't usually associated with newspaper comics, even in an era where people gave a poo poo about newspaper comics. There was a period of about a month that summer where I swear that every single goddamn CBC radio show or Can-con platform had a segment about the story. Even though that scale is probably distortion of memory, it was without a doubt an extremely high-profile thing. I have a pretty strong memory (again, possibly a pastiche memory but based on other things in the Canadian media sphere from that time) of an episode of Cross Country Checkup that was hours of people calling in variously to congratulate Lynn for being "so progressive and brave," or to be "very concerned" about the strip.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

To be slightly fair to Lynn, even if she doesn't necessarily deserve it: this cartoon shows how far we've come as a society in a relatively short amount of time. I remember hearing the f-word a fair amount as an elementary and middle schooler in the '90s. Thankfully, you never hear it these days, at least in "polite" society (racial, sexual and ethnic slurs are a big reason why I don't do online multiplayer games).

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
yeah don't forget its 30 years ago, it ran in 1993

oh the website has a newer pride flag design

e: oh she did a new interview a bit ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEl9guAocIs

riderchop fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 29, 2022

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

That is such a bad animation. :roflolmao:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

And while Vargo's MIA(:ohdear:) let's catch up with...

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/lizzieohreally/status/1508589401705787397

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ham shears, the early years

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Tiggum posted:

What is the target audience for new Mark Trail? Who is this for? Does it just exist to piss people off? Because it's not good, but it's also not bad in a fun way. And it's thrown out almost everything that anyone liked about the old version (whether genuinely or ironically).
I don't know and I don't think the CK people do. I think they decided to try something radically different and it's not working out so great.

I think they should have ditched the daily and just kept making the Sunday nature ones, and I think it's not unlikely that is what will eventually happen.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

YES!

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Seriously what's with the feet?

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Seriously what's with the feet?

just the artist showing off that they know how to draw feet, even if they usually don't

e:

yeeessss phantom

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Oh, that's an actual BTS song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdS3INdulIo. Points for hitting an actual appropriate musical reference for a young girl.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I will forgive Mozz if this leads to Phantom Heloise

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Haifisch posted:

Breaking Cat News

From the BCN instagram;

Georgia Dunn posted:

Some folks have been recognizing today’s Sunday strip as feeling familiar. No, your mind is not playing tricks on you! 😂❤️ Today’s strip is based on a personal comic from my journals that I have shared a few times over the years. As the kids have begun to enjoy Lord of the Rings, I wanted to go back and make it an official part of BCN. I did do this, and did it for many years… and it worked! Though Gollum is the Girl’s favorite 10x over, and she sees the movies as an epic tale about one more poor creature trying to get its property back from two thieves (filthy hobbitsies! 🤣🤣🤣)

Anyway… highly recommend!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake