Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yeah, it had some cool action scenes. Wasn't as good, imo, as mugen train for demon Slayer. But some good visuals overall and an alright to good anime movie story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
...bro the movie is literally the 'pilot' manga that Gege wrote, it's not original, it's canon

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Needed more Nanami

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The way the movie is structured I could definitely see them pulling a Demon Slayer with it and putting it out as a couple of episodes before the new season.

Unrelated to the actual content of the movie it did show that the series is popular because the screening I went to was pretty packed. And as I was leaving I saw a couple of people in cosplay.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did a quick re-read of Volume 0 and the biggest differences between the two is that the movie adds in scenes with people who don't appear in the manga but would have been around at the time. Also adding in things like during the Panda/Geto fight having Panda change forms.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Junpei posted:

...bro the movie is literally the 'pilot' manga that Gege wrote, it's not original, it's canon

Yes? And? It's still an anime movie. There are good ones and bad ones, regardless of canon status. I overall felt like it was a weaker story than mugen train was, both being canon anime movies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

KittyEmpress posted:

Yes? And? It's still an anime movie. There are good ones and bad ones, regardless of canon status. I overall felt like it was a weaker story than mugen train was, both being canon anime movies.

I think they were just confused about your statement and thought you said it was an original. (I don't know why)

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

MonsterEnvy posted:

Anyone see the movie yet?

i think it suffers a bit for being a prototype to the actual story that also only gets 90 minutes to work through the same general plot beats. looks gorgeous and still a lot of fun though.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Movie was fine. First half felt like a fairly basic shounen setup but playing out in fast forward, such that no emotional beat or theme really got the kind of development that would have made them really land. The second half was a ton of really cool fights though so it's definitely worth seeing just for that.

Ended up being more annoyed by the requisite "here's characters from the show for 5 seconds look at them all do a cool move and then never get mentioned again" stuff than I thought I'd be

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m pretty new to watching Anime movies released approximately one year after I really get into a show. I saw Mugen Train at launch and liked it just fine. My complaint is that there wasn’t anything that felt suitably cinematic, nothing that made me think “oh this wouldn’t have worked as an episode, it had to be a movie because of this

Do the JuJuKai movie “justify” itself as a cinematic experience, or would you say it’s simply watching a long episode on a really big screen? I’m gonna see it either way, but it’s nice to temper my expectations beforehand

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It's a long episode

Remember when yuji befriended an emo guy and then the gross Frankenstein curse mentored->killed him? It's like seeing a 3 episode arc like that all at once

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 20, 2022

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Magen Train and this both you can at least feel the budget I think. The fights are very fluid and pretty in each and doubt they would have been as frequently high quality if split into episodes.

But it's not anything that would have been impossible as tv show episodes.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m pretty new to watching Anime movies released approximately one year after I really get into a show. I saw Mugen Train at launch and liked it just fine. My complaint is that there wasn’t anything that felt suitably cinematic, nothing that made me think “oh this wouldn’t have worked as an episode, it had to be a movie because of this

Do the JuJuKai movie “justify” itself as a cinematic experience, or would you say it’s simply watching a long episode on a really big screen? I’m gonna see it either way, but it’s nice to temper my expectations beforehand

It works better as a self-contained story inasmuch as it's not just the next sequential chapter of an ongoing arc, but there's nothing that makes you go "NO WAY WOULD THAT HAVE EVER BEEN ON THE SHOW". That's more a positive reflection on the show than a criticism of the movie, though. poo poo generally looks good.

I liked it better than Infinity Train but largely for the same reasons I like JJK better than Kimetsu as a whole.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
It's a good movie, did everything it needed to do: faithful adaptation of the story, well animated, dynamite action sequences, cool soundtrack. And yet the direction felt really conventional and risk-averse (probably because of the budget riding on it). S1 ended with a fight that was not just exciting and well-animated, but also synched with the music and was executed in an idiosyncratic way that really defined the unique style or 'voice' of the series. The fights were overall great in the movie (particularly Gojo vs. Miguel) but felt like they really lost a bit of that style and ended up being a bit more conventionally 'big budget anime fight movie'. I wouldn't say it was a disappointment, and it's definitively JJK no matter what (the characters and setting are so strong as to carry it a great distance by themselves), but I can't help feeling it could have gone for far more style points than it actually ended up doing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Movie made about $17 million in the US box office over the weekend which is fairly respectable for an anime movie.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Movie made about $17 million in the US box office over the weekend which is fairly respectable for an anime movie.

Mild way of putting it.

There are only six anime movies that made more than that in total in the United States. Only three opened bigger than that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I saw the movie despite my only previous experience with JJK was skimming the wiki for 15 minutes

I enjoyed it and was generally able to follow the plot. My burning question is what is the deal with Panda? Is he an actual panda bear or what?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I saw the movie despite my only previous experience with JJK was skimming the wiki for 15 minutes

I enjoyed it and was generally able to follow the plot. My burning question is what is the deal with Panda? Is he an actual panda bear or what?

Something you can do with curse power is animate dolls to perform tasks/fight. Panda is basically the pinnacle of that kind of curse power in that he is self sustaining and is his own unique being.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

It makes sense it’s able to stand alone, as it was originally a stand alone story.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love

the guitar riff that played when Yuta punched Geto lol

Movie is good

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Saw the movie in a relatively crowded Saturday afternoon showing. It was a very competent anime movie, but probably makes more sense as an anime arc with slightly higher budget.

Felt like a lot of the animation budget went into animating getos stupid face

Overall I liked it more than either of the my hero academia movies I've seen but less than Mugen train or a real anime movie (like not based on a series)

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
As someone who read the most of manga I was totally confused by that end credits stinger.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JT Smiley posted:

As someone who read the most of manga I was totally confused by that end credits stinger.

Miguel and Yuta hang out overseas. We can briefly see them together in the second op, and the manga has some cover pages of them hanging out.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The bit where Yuta just loving decks Geto the second or third time he tries to abuse Anime Narration Timestop was extremely good, imo

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Enjoyed the movie more than I expected. It still felt like it was speedrunning the big emotional beats a bit, but that worked better for a movie than a multi-chapter manga, and the main one landed great.

My Japanese is still pretty limited, but I could at least pick up on Yuta switching from "daisuke" to "ai" at the end, so that was a perk for seeing the subtitled version.

On the other end of things, Yuta being treated as kind of out of shape felt weird with how toned his arms were when he was carrying everyone out. Sure, he wasn't like Itadori or Maki, but the times we saw his arms suggested he worked out.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I thought the movie was okay, the only thing I didn’t like was the Parade of Demons. Geto’s crew don’t really do anything, the fight between Gojo and Miguel ends off screen, there’s this story of Todo making his name here and barely anything is shown of it, then it’s just over.

E: Also Geto summons some weird curse at the end and it just sort of floats there?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I thought the movie was okay, the only thing I didn’t like was the Parade of Demons. Geto’s crew don’t really do anything, the fight between Gojo and Miguel ends off screen, there’s this story of Todo making his name here and barely anything is shown of it, then it’s just over.

E: Also Geto summons some weird curse at the end and it just sort of floats there?

Todo was not in the original story so a cameo was really all he could get. Yeah Geto's crew does not do too much, and Miguel's fight just ends. Though we are told they all escaped, and Miguel becomes Yuta's friend at some point.
Tamamo no Mae is the Special Grade Curse Geto summoned, it's purpose was to help support Geto's next attack. We don't see what becomes of it in the manga either given that Geto lost the clash, it was probably either destroyed or desummoned so he could use it again later.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The movie was decent, and the stuff they added was clearly to show a few things mentioned in the show. Nanami's consecutive black flashes, Todou being strong during this night specifically.

Also Gojo/Geto's relationship got brought into the movie a bit more, at least in tiny bits. In the manga all this stuff happens but gets way fleshed out in the Gojo past flashback arc. Specifically The whole sorcerer children in cages bit and the scene at the crosswalk.

I think some of Geto's crew was clearly just introduced so next arc the audience doesnt ask "who are these people again?" Or maybe asks it less.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bread Set Jettison posted:

The movie was decent, and the stuff they added was clearly to show a few things mentioned in the show. Nanami's consecutive black flashes, Todou being strong during this night specifically.

Also Gojo/Geto's relationship got brought into the movie a bit more, at least in tiny bits. In the manga all this stuff happens but gets way fleshed out in the Gojo past flashback arc. Specifically The whole sorcerer children in cages bit and the scene at the crosswalk.

I think some of Geto's crew was clearly just introduced so next arc the audience doesnt ask "who are these people again?" Or maybe asks it less.

Well 0 came out before the main series, and Geto's crew was in it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/sasuraiger/status/1508432751778844679?s=21&t=mMJwLkfiu8xb3kDzribQDA

I just saw 0 in theaters with my BFF and we had a really awesome time. Perfectly fun and cool and heartwarming, excellent fights. Getting to finally see Satoro just beat the absolute dogshit out of someone instead of holding back forever was really cool. The movie was perfectly melancholy and sweet, like I wanted, but my issue is that Yuta seems so incredibly powerful and important to these characters that his absence from s1 seems really jarring and bizarre, you’d think he would have come up more since apparently there was a gigantic war in Tokyo between sorcery and curses that spilled into the streets and it was all because of Yuta.

My buddy says that his special grade curse isn’t actually gone though? The movie makes it pretty clear, at least to me, that Rika is free to transcend tho, and Yuta just actually has magic powers so he can keep training at the school right?

also lol at this meme

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Bust Rodd posted:

My buddy says that his special grade curse isn’t actually gone though? The movie makes it pretty clear, at least to me, that Rika is free to transcend tho, and Yuta just actually has magic powers so he can keep training at the school right?

also lol at this meme

Spoiler for the manga re: Rika Rika the lil girl went to the afterlife, but Yuta being the one who actually cursed her, is able to manifest the Rika CURSE after she ie gone.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/sasuraiger/status/1508432751778844679?s=21&t=mMJwLkfiu8xb3kDzribQDA

I just saw 0 in theaters with my BFF and we had a really awesome time. Perfectly fun and cool and heartwarming, excellent fights. Getting to finally see Satoro just beat the absolute dogshit out of someone instead of holding back forever was really cool. The movie was perfectly melancholy and sweet, like I wanted, but my issue is that Yuta seems so incredibly powerful and important to these characters that his absence from s1 seems really jarring and bizarre, you’d think he would have come up more since apparently there was a gigantic war in Tokyo between sorcery and curses that spilled into the streets and it was all because of Yuta.

also lol at this meme

Yuta is mentioned several times in Season 1. Namely that he's currently overseas hanging out with Miguel. Which was the post credits scene for the movie.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yuta is mentioned by Fushiguro like 6 times in season 1, he shows up with full art as Gojo explains he's one of the few people who might surpass him some day, and both the Tokyo and Kyoto students lament that he is overseas and not available to fight during the exchange event.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I guess all those references to a character I’ve never met and didn’t seem germane to the plot of the show I was watching just flew over my head. Also my friend showed me a tweet from the production company put out explaining that Yuta is a different character than Fushigoro because apparently I am not the only person who thought the movie was about him, a lot of fans who only know the show were “who the gently caress is this guy?”

Edit: yeah here I found it, they posted a screengrab of this panel from the manga because apparently they were fielding hundreds of “who are these people” questions from the anime fans and because I guess in the manga Innumaki and Itadori look more similar because of the way their hair is drawn.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 30, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I guess all those references to a character I’ve never met and didn’t seem germane to the plot of the show I was watching just flew over my head. Also my friend showed me a tweet from the production company put out explaining that Yuta is a different character than Fushigoro because apparently I am not the only person who thought the movie was about him, a lot of fans who only know the show were “who the gently caress is this guy?”

Yeah, for the manga we got Zero first, so the references to Yuta were "Oh, the guy from the earlier manga with Maki and Panda. Neat.", while for anime onlies, he'd be much easier to miss.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yeah I mean, I didn't notice all the references to Yuta my first time through the anime. But I did a rewatch post 0 and was literally floored by how many references there were to him. And yet 0 of them had stuck by the time I watched 0 myself.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bust Rodd posted:

Edit: yeah here I found it, they posted a screengrab of this panel from the manga because apparently they were fielding hundreds of “who are these people” questions from the anime fans and because I guess in the manga Innumaki and Itadori look more similar because of the way their hair is drawn.

That image is older then that. Came out before the anime by my memory. Was pretty much Gege saying he was changing Yuta and Tigre’s hair styles cause they looked too similar to Megumi and Yuji.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Jujutsu Kaisen 0 is out on Cruchyroll now. Finally got to watch it. Post Credits really caught me off-guard.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The thing to remember is that zero started out as the oneshot pitch for JJK and initially, at first, seemed to be completely overwritten by JJK proper before gege apparently changed his mind and started bringing back all the characters a couple months into the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The movie would be a lot better if the lead and his dead girlfriend had any amount of their relationship shown aside from like a still image of them throwing water balloons at each other as toddlers. Or maybe if less of the emotional core of the movie hinged on the strength of that relationship.

It had really cool fights though and that's all it needs to be