Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5XQH6yTlvY

Rare enough to see a director be this honest. That was a terrible film

This bummed me out because I love Hellboy and Neil Marshall rules. Dog Soldiers and Doomsday are 2 of my favorite movies. The Descent is also a classic.
They tried to cram the entire Queen of Blood and King Hellboy stories into one movie, which didn't work at all. Baba Yaga's chiclen leg house was pretty cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

PostNouveau posted:

Breaking new ground in the giant mech suits genre.

LMAO no Gunbuster came out like 40 fuckin years ago. It's a franchise first, it's very far from a mecha genre first.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like David Harbour and all but the fact that Perlman and Guillermo del Toro didn’t get to have one more movie to wrap it all up was extremely disappointing and there’s no way that other reboot could have seemed good.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
theres something really pathetic about youtube essay s

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

LMAO no Gunbuster came out like 40 fuckin years ago. It's a franchise first, it's very far from a mecha genre first.

I don't care all that poo poo is the same I'm not sure why there are 800 animes about people in huge robot suits.

It seems like the people are often overly sexualized teenagers too? It's like one of these was popular in the '70s or something and every animation studio in Japan was like "what if we did only this for 50 years?"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

PostNouveau posted:

I don't care all that poo poo is the same I'm not sure why there are 800 animes about people in huge robot suits.

It seems like the people are often overly sexualized teenagers too? It's like one of these was popular in the '70s or something and every animation studio in Japan was like "what if we did only this for 50 years?"

Giant robots and sexy teens are cool you gigantic herb

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Yeah why would something aimed at teen boys have sexy teen girls in it? Some mysteries can never be solved

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Eh

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

PostNouveau posted:

Because they're good

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

PostNouveau posted:

because live action shows about giant robots are too expensive to make

the people demand giant robots

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

priznat posted:

I like David Harbour and all but the fact that Perlman and Guillermo del Toro didn’t get to have one more movie to wrap it all up was extremely disappointing and there’s no way that other reboot could have seemed good.

It will never stop being funny that 99% of studio execs are stuck in the late 90s and don't understand the films for fans genre.

Marvel is printing cash by funneling the slop directly into the mouths of marvel fans while every other studio is like "no, the fans are wrong, the proper way to make a DOOM movie is to have a generic scifi film about a space virus".

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Gripweed posted:

Because they're good

Anime is bad actually

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Coke-snorting exec who came up through the ranks via nepotism and writing credits on second-tier Nicktoons projects: "What is this demon crap? Get it out of here! We're telling a space movie, boys! Make it a virus, the numbers on the last three virus movies were pretty good."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Anime Liker posted:

It will never stop being funny that 99% of studio execs are stuck in the late 90s and don't understand the films for fans genre.

Marvel is printing cash by funneling the slop directly into the mouths of marvel fans while every other studio is like "no, the fans are wrong, the proper way to make a DOOM movie is to have a generic scifi film about a space virus".

In fairness to Doom, it was made way closer to the late 90s than to now.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah why would something aimed at teen boys have sexy teen girls in it? Some mysteries can never be solved

I mean, I get it if these are just kids shows. Repetitive slop aimed at teens, makes all the sense in the world. Why y'all trying to tell me that "Giant Robot Show #4" is really good art for adults? I ain't in here trying to convince anyone that Ant-Man 3 is gonna be good.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Fans: "Del Toro, Perlman"

Studio: "How about the guy that made the worst Game of Thrones episode and the dude from Stranger Things. Those are both shows that did big numbers and according to our marketing department that means this film will be a success."

Fans: "No."

Studio exec: "Ah, clearly people aren't into comic book movies. Cancel all R-rated projects and shuffle anything occultish or weird to the junk pile and greenlight 50 new teen musicals."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

I mean, I get it if these are just kids shows. Repetitive slop aimed at teens, makes all the sense in the world. Why y'all trying to tell me that "Giant Robot Show #4" is really good art for adults? I ain't in here trying to convince anyone that Ant-Man 3 is gonna be good.

Mecha is a very broad genre, with stuff for little kids, stuff for teens, and really good art for adults

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmlwhaEEgE

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Anime Liker posted:

I remember when any tv shows with superheroes were just hour long massive teases because they lacked the budget to do many fx at all and at best you’d get wonder woman running around in the woods and then unconvincingly fight 4 dudes.

That Heroes show was the worst fuckin tease show when they absolutely had the technology and budget to do cool fx scenes and just held back like a bunch of miser assholes.

I think that attitude pervades most studios still

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The Anime Liker posted:

Anime is bad actually

awww :(

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

I remember when any tv shows with superheroes were just hour long massive teases because they lacked the budget to do many fx at all and at best you’d get wonder woman running around in the woods and then unconvincingly fight 4 dudes.

That Heroes show was the worst fuckin tease show when they absolutely had the technology and budget to do cool fx scenes and just held back like a bunch of miser assholes.

I think that attitude pervades most studios still

That Agents of SHIELD show must have been awful about this

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
We just need another Pacific Rim movie that isnt a bad one. Put Charlie Day in a robot and have him go full crazy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Oh yeah it was really bad for that in the first season at least, I didn’t watch after that.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

PostNouveau posted:

Quake's power was shaking the camera around while people gently fall down.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Oh yeah it was really bad for that in the first season at least, I didn’t watch after that.

Ditto, but then I heard most of the main characters get superpowers in the seasons that followed, so I didn't know if they upped the budget or not.

X JAKK posted:

Quake's power was shaking the camera around while people gently fall down.

lol guess they did not up the budget

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

PostNouveau posted:

lol guess they did not up the budget
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z5lIhXIQB8

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Agents of Shield always looked kinda cheap and janky but it became a much better show after the first season

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i wonder if theresa part of my brain i can hit hard enough so i just like watching marvel movies and reacting to cnn with colleagues over group text

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

Mecha is a very broad genre, with stuff for little kids, stuff for teens, and really good art for adults

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmlwhaEEgE

That is right in my wheelhouse, gotta get around to watching Patlabor.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gutcruncher posted:

Agents of Shield always looked kinda cheap and janky but it became a much better show after the first season

I remember people saying it got good 17 episodes in, and wading through the most forgettable episodes of television of all time to get to that point only to discover that "good" is extremely relative. You're right that it gets better, but there was a lot of room for it to get better without actually becoming good.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Agents of Shield was so miserly with the IP that it felt like watching Saturday morning wrestling in the early 90s “gently caress you, you aren’t paying for this so you don’t get to see Hulk Hogan, you’re gonna get Outback Jack and you’re gonna like it”

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Who doesn't like Absorbing Man and uhhh i think ghost rider shows up

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/marysuewriter/status/1508169571383058434?s=21&t=SlNM6c7Q_aUa4aS3IWVNXA

I’ve seen people try to “take down” Idiocracy for a long time, as though this movie is hurtful or causes harm in some way, for being a comedy about how the world is stupid and only getting stupider.

What is the plan here? To ‘own’ a comedy for being “mean” to stupid people? To make people realize that Mike Judge isn’t actually a comedic genius? Do people actually think that this movie is “promoting eugenics”? I just feel like there is critique, and then there is this style of essay that is essentially just a hot take about how a popular thing you like is actually bad and makes U the Nazi, AXTUALLY.

I love this film, and I don’t understand why breadtubers and libs can’t just look at at something and laugh at it and go “uh yup that’s sure a funny premise for a comedy, wouldn’t living in a world like that be silly!” and turn it into a treatise about how Mike Judge is actually a Nazi who wants to genocide trailer trash.

Also lowkey I just think it’s funny when Zoomers discover something from 25 years ago, and then act as though the stale take people have been parroting to sound subversive at parties since 2004 is somehow a fresh take worthy of 1 hour and 15 minutes dressing down of a 1 hour and 24 minute film.

TLDR Luke Wilson owns, Mike Judge owns, “this popular comedy is actually a treatise in genetic war crimes against the mentally impaired” is a dogshit take for trash bag clowns.

You mean to tell me that a random person I've never heard about and never will hear about again, had an OPINION about a MOVIE?

god drat this is important, we have to pay attention to this immediately

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DiHK posted:

That is right in my wheelhouse, gotta get around to watching Patlabor.

The thing about Patlabor is that there's three basic stock stories you get. It's about the Tokyo Police Department Special Vehicles Unit 2nd Division. The 2nd Division being the not as good division that doesn't get much respect. So the three stories told about the 2nd Division are

-some big crime is happening, and the brass have no choice but to call in the 2nd Division, who save the day but in an embarrassing way that causes a lot of collateral damage

-the Chief is away from the 2nd Division, typically apologizing for the damage they caused in the previous type of story, so the guys get into hijinks!

-there is a sickness at the heart of Japan. The crimes of World War 2 have never been addressed, merely papered over and allowed to fester. The elite live lives of luxury while the people struggle without hope. Right wing elements in the government and military are staging a coup and the brief period of democracy that has existed since the war is coming to an end. But they made one mistake. They forgot about the Tokyo Police Department Special Vehicles Unit 2nd Division.

The movies are mostly the third one, but the show has a mix of all three.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

-there is a sickness at the heart of Japan. The crimes of World War 2 have never been addressed, merely papered over and allowed to fester. The elite live lives of luxury while the people struggle without hope. Right wing elements in the government and military are staging a coup and the brief period of democracy that has existed since the war is coming to an end. But they made one mistake. They forgot about the Tokyo Police Department Special Vehicles Unit 2nd Division.

Police opposing a right-wing coup is more fantastical than the giant mechs.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

PostNouveau posted:

Welcome to the wonderful magical world of fiction

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeesh

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

PostNouveau posted:

It is Japan mind you. Law and order trump the warhawks and Patlabor 2 is specifically about how Article 9 is a load of bullshit and people only follow the comfortable lie of peace because they can't stand to face the alternative.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
gas thread

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna admit I haven't seen the lighthouse yet. Im sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

ZeusCannon posted:

I'm gonna admit I haven't seen the lighthouse yet. Im sorry.

I haven't either