Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it isnt even in all of the usa, its the sf bay, seattle, and maybe some parts of nyc. even just austin, it gets more marginal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's entire industries, like most of academia and at this point journalism, that exist as basically daycare for otherwise unemployable neurotic failchildren of the wealthy.

https://www.noemamag.com/welcome-to-the-turbulent-twenties/

Peter Turchin has a theory on this called "elite overproduction".

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
turchin didnt come up w elite overproduction, he came up w putting ecological models to it

lotka volterra w poo poo added said spike in insanity 2020 back in 2012. seems like good prediction. you might say you couldve seen it coming from 2012 but the thing also made decent quantitative predictions about congressional gridlock

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

roomtone posted:

it's nuts when i see the US salary figures people throw around for entry level coding jobs between $70-120k. it was a few years ago but in the UK the jobs i was getting offered (and took) were paying £24k a year, which is about $32k.

i know in the US you need to pay for stuff like health insurance but i doubt the cost of living is actually 2x to 4x higher or more.

That tends to be Silicon Valley or NYC and check out the rents there. I've worked on both sides of the Atlantic and Americans do make more on average but not ridiculously more.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
my wife learned to code and then there were very few entry level coding jobs interviewing

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vitruvian Manic posted:

teach yourself the basics of coding then shell out for a respectable "learn to code" bootcamp. you want to crush it and be near the top of your class so the more you know before you go in the better. that should net an 80k remote job pretty easily.

This isn't something just anyone can do, btw. If it were it would pay minimum wage. You have to have the knack for it in the first place. If an 80k remote job were 'pretty easy' everyone would already be doing it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i know a guy who found a bunch of online resources/youtube vids for one of the coding bootcamps so he went through the whole course before actually taking the course and killed it when he did and then almost instantly found a job

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

kntfkr posted:

my wife learned to code and then there were very few entry level coding jobs interviewing

It can be really hard to find entry-level positions. If you're a coding academy grad and not someone with a 4-year CS degree, then you'll likely need to find your way into it via alternate routes like testing (though it can be easy to get trapped in that world) or sales engineering (which sucks because it's a sales job and all sales jobs are terrible).

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Vitruvian Manic posted:

sorry man, I'm just trying to share some fun stories and some relevant scientific information. isn't the point of SA a place to amuse ourselves to death while occasionally learning about some weird niche thing like chirality or pete parkers radioactive jizz?

edit: and don't you think the world would be a better or at least funnier place if a mediocre white man high on his own farts was stalking noted piece of poo poo Darrell Issa?

Well dang you fooled cavewoman gramma here who thought you were just nuts

Oh well I'll live

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

When my younger brother was in middle school he got hit by a car and lost the use of his left eye and has had constant pain in the shoulder on the same side. This isn't how his life got hosed up, but key to everything coming because he was awarded around a quarter million dollars due to the severity of the injuries. By the time he was 22 it was all gone. In the intervening years his girlfriend's mom had given him oxy for the constant pain he was in and he got hooked. For a time he just seemed to be kind of dumb, not constantly on painkillers. Once the supply from his ersatz mother-in-law was cut off he started having to buy from dealers. As a result of him running out of free money his house and truck were repossessed, he was fired from the family business for stealing tens of thousands of dollars of merchandise and lucky he wasn't charged for it, he had child support for two kids one of which was a three month old "fix it" baby at the time, and he had alienated all his friends and everyone but my dad (the guy he stole from) in my family. He was/is living at my parents house and for a time they couldn't both leave because he would steal ANYTHING that wasn't nailed down and sell it to buy more pills. It took almost 10 years and two stints in rehab for him to land steady work, but the damage is done. His brain is completely fried, I can't have a conversation with him that lasts more than five minutes because he loses the thread. He's 33 still living with my parents and he'll maybe come down from his childhood bedroom long enough to say hello if we're visiting, maybe longer if his girls are there. He had a seizure three years ago because he mixed pills and Twisted Tea, his drink of choice for some reason, and finally realized how cooked he was. Since then he's been clean-ish, but the damage is done.

His ex-girlfriend, mother of my adored nieces, also managed to gently caress her life up in a different way. She got deep into the Trump cult and lost her $100k/yr. medical job because she refused to get vaccinated. She's now making less than my pilled out brother because it's really hard to find work in the medical field without a vaccine card.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
That's it I'm out
Thread too depressing

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Vitruvian Manic posted:

teach yourself the basics of coding then shell out for a respectable "learn to code" bootcamp. you want to crush it and be near the top of your class so the more you know before you go in the better. that should net an 80k remote job pretty easily.

with the retail and warehouse experience you might consider logistics. no idea on the culture wrt working from home but it should be something that can be done. maybe look into project management. I feel like coding bootcamp is probably cheaper and quicker than getting a pmp certification but you'll likely be facing less competition.

This, actually. Entry level coding is a great way to find yourself with a 80k salary. It's definitely skilled work, so it comes with everything else in that package. At the same time, picking up enough knowledge to be employable isn't that hard.

As others have mentioned, if you don't like that line of work, it is the fast track to depression with a side of alcoholism. I feel the work tends to be polarizing as well. It's certainly worth trying to see if the journey of learning and creating is interesting to you, but is caution against going all in if you aren't enjoying it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you like it go to yospos

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I have been prescribed oxy's twice post surgery. they keep the dose and amount low so you cant do too much harm.

the second time i was in enough pain and they weren't really working so i took like three times the recommended dosage and while i was only mildly high what really struck me was the instant craving to do more after...like really disproportionate to how high it actually got me. to me that was striking.

cocaine on the other hand was like "yeah that makes sense" thank goodness i never got into that

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Oh boy, my time to shine.

I've shared a shorter version of this elsewhere but I will share it again here as it is relevant.

I was in a master's program six years ago which would have resulted in my becoming a child psychologist, which was my dream job.

The program was only two years long (typical for a master's program in Canada), with the last 1/2 of the second year devoted to an internship where you worked as a psychologist in a school, private practice, or hospital.

I was assigned to a school board in the middle of nowhere (we had no choice in our internship locations) and literally put all my savings on the line to do it.

My supervisor was a well-liked psychologist who had been working there for over a decade.

She did not like me from the get-go and was generally a lovely person to me, but I dealt with it for the most part.

About 2/3 of the way through the internship, I get assigned to assess a kid for being gifted. In Canada, gifted kids are assessed in grade 3 (or so) and then reassessed in grade 12 before they graduate and go to college/university. The idea is that if they're still considered gifted (giftedness is not a permanent thing in most cases), they can get accommodations in university to help them succeed (which has always seemed backwards to me).

Anyway, I assess this kid and my supervisor has no complaints about the assessment. In fact, she tells me I did a great job.

Then, we start to analyze the results and it begins to become clear that the kid will no longer be considered gifted.

For whatever reason, my supervisor decides this is unacceptable and decided that I must have made a mistake. But, she can't demonstrate any evidence of this. She throws a fit in her office while I sit by in horror and that's the end of it.

Then, weeks later, we sit down to do my performance review for the end of the internship. She turns to me and calmly says that she is going to tell my program that I am not competent enough to be a psychologist. At the time, I was literally speechless and just said "I don't know what to say to that" several times while I panicked internally.

Anyways, she got me kicked out of the program and ruined my reputation. I had to switch to a different degree and was told I could never by a psychologist because I would, ethically, need to disclose that I had been considered incompetent by a registered psychologist.

And that is how I lost my dream job because of some bitter old woman.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Edit: ^^^ :wtc: isn't there a record for WHY you were deemed incompetent, so others could see that it's very much bullshit?

Robobot posted:

A few of my buddies quit their jobs once they stopped being remote because that meant they wouldn’t be able to be high and in their pajamas all day anymore. Seems to be working just fine for them finding permanent remote positions, so no loving up their lives though.

Wish I could make the same as I do now with no experience/college degree in a remote position but I have no idea where to start.

Anyone got any ideas for a $80k/yr no experience necessary remote position? I’ve got warehouse and retail experience!

Are you in Canada? If so, jobs.gc.ca

It wouldn't be 80k, but it's definitely more than a liveable wage.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 28, 2022

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Spinz posted:

Well dang you fooled cavewoman gramma here who thought you were just nuts

Oh well I'll live

It's OK, I appreciate it. I wasn't sure if you were just playing along but it really helped prevent the thread from just being coy "raisin awareness" jokes or ear slappers ruining everyone's fun. You focusing on Issa gave us great quotes like:

Poohs Packin posted:

Man logs into internet forum to inform everyone that he's paranoid and travelling clear across the country to Washington DC all alone for conservative political reasons. Mentions a specific politician by name.

They also express disdain for their material possessions and inform everyone theyve just suffered a traumatic experience (loss of job). They also express anti social language (doesnt care what anyone thinks, etc.)

Like, jesus gently caress I hope Mr Issa has got extra security this week.

I got a hearty laugh at a goon wishing Issa well.

kntfkr posted:

"TGI Friday's Times Square, this is Britlyn, how may I help you?"

"Hi, this is Vitruvian Manic, I emailed you yesterday. I'd like to join your organization as a volunteer."

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

How can i get next to Issa
Now, tell me how it's going to be done
Will i win or lose this one
Don't care, about, the fact, that he's in a
Different league
They say it's no use
When I try (ooh weee)
They say it's no use when I try-ai
Darrell Issa will never be
Mine

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i know lotsa peeps who dont get out of bed for less than 300k usd total comp

:haibrower:

I'm a stupendous fuckup with almost no formal education whatsoever, and this is a reasonable top end for my next position*

*I fell into computer touching a loooooooooong time ago.

EDIT

to contribute, I was laid off from my last position in November and have just straight hosed up every interview I've had since then, and have almost exhausted unemployment. Total comp doesn't mean poo poo unless I get the offer letter!

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 29, 2022

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019

Robobot posted:

A few of my buddies quit their jobs once they stopped being remote because that meant they wouldn’t be able to be high and in their pajamas all day anymore. Seems to be working just fine for them finding permanent remote positions, so no loving up their lives though.

Wish I could make the same as I do now with no experience/college degree in a remote position but I have no idea where to start.

Anyone got any ideas for a $80k/yr no experience necessary remote position? I’ve got warehouse and retail experience!

just work remote retail boom so simple

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019

roomtone posted:

it's nuts when i see the US salary figures people throw around for entry level coding jobs between $70-120k. it was a few years ago but in the UK the jobs i was getting offered (and took) were paying £24k a year, which is about $32k.

i know in the US you need to pay for stuff like health insurance but i doubt the cost of living is actually 2x to 4x higher or more.

THAT'S CAPITALISM

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Dr.D-O posted:

And that is how I lost my dream job because of some bitter old woman.

Was the kid someone your supervisor had a relation to? Sounds like there was a personal stake in this.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

axolotl farmer posted:

Was the kid someone your supervisor had a relation to? Sounds like there was a personal stake in this.

Also it seems utterly mental that the subjective opinion of one old lady determines your entire life, no appeal, no second chance, no tribunal?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

roomtone posted:

i think the UK is just a huge loving ripoff in general.

Yeah, earning the median household income (£30k) means you're losing between 40-60% of your income to rent. Good luck actually saving up for a deposit.

Also the size and quality of houses here (for the same price) are garbage compared to the US.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Planet X posted:

I think there was a thread somewhere on the topic of having lost friends or family to this sort of thing at some point. It’s sad.

From a couple pages back, but this might be the thread you're referring to: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938820

e: beaten

Poo In An Alleyway fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 29, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

That loving Sned posted:

Yeah, earning the median household income (£30k) means you're losing between 40-60% of your income to rent. Good luck actually saving up for a deposit.

Also the size and quality of houses here (for the same price) are garbage compared to the US.

This is probably true in England but I don't think it's the case in Scotland. £60,000 got me a one bedroom flat with veranda and (shared) garden. I don't think you'd get a toilet for that much in London lol

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
60k is a nice 10% deposit on your mortgage.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
rent for a studio apartment in the US that's an hour commute (without traffic lol) to the nearest major city is 1200-1400 a month btw

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lmao rent. “Hey bro can I borrow the airspace above your dirt?”

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

OMFG FURRY posted:

rent for a studio apartment in the US that's an hour commute (without traffic lol) to the nearest major city is 1200-1400 a month btw

Move to the Midwest. It’s cheaper here.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Midwest is wonderful. There's pork sausage everywhere.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I honestly sympathize with the guys who quit their jobs so they could stay remote. I will never work in an office again if I can help it. Well...not never. I'd do it if I *had* to, but there's so many remote jobs available now that I'd never willing take an office job unless I was desperate.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I wonder if I built a robot with a Zoom app running on a tablet for a face if they’d let me just work through the robot.

It’s easy to make robots right? Is that what those coding boot camps teach you?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Robobot posted:

I wonder if I built a robot with a Zoom app running on a tablet for a face if they’d let me just work through the robot.

It’s easy to make robots right? Is that what those coding boot camps teach you?

I've heard of people outsourcing their office work to people in India and other countries, with modern day deepfake technology you could probably completely outsource a WFH job if they can fake your accent sufficiently.

I've also heard stories of people doing zoom interviews for WFH jobs on behalf of other people and not even bothering to try and hide the fact that a different person turns up in the work zoom meetings after they get hired

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

OMFG FURRY posted:

I find that usually people say this because they couldn't compromise for a comparable priced apartment in the major city itself. With an hour commute to $majorUSCity, you are spending on gas, insurance, and the time commuting, you might as well pay more money for an apartment in the city and ditch the car. It's always some random caveats like "well I can't live without a washing machine", "I need to have a gas stove", "I can't live in a place without central air", "I need a place to park my car", because they move from weird subdivision sprawl land. So they end up in random studio apartment 45 minutes outside of a city by car, or one hour by commuter train. I have exactly one friend that is actively loving her life up right now by refusing to compromise on either having a roomate in the city or moving into a tiny studio, so she's been going into debt commuting to work, and trying to hang out with the people she meets at work who live in the city.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

gay for gacha posted:

I find that usually people say this because they couldn't compromise for a comparable priced apartment in the major city itself. With an hour commute to $majorUSCity, you are spending on gas, insurance, and the time commuting, you might as well pay more money for an apartment in the city and ditch the car. It's always some random caveats like "well I can't live without a washing machine", "I need to have a gas stove", "I can't live in a place without central air", "I need a place to park my car", because they move from weird subdivision sprawl land. So they end up in random studio apartment 45 minutes outside of a city by car, or one hour by commuter train. I have exactly one friend that is actively loving her life up right now by refusing to compromise on either having a roomate in the city or moving into a tiny studio, so she's been going into debt commuting to work, and trying to hang out with the people she meets at work who live in the city.

Thank you! This is exactly what I try to convey to people from my rural hometown area when they ask how I could afford to move to NYC, but you put it much better. It’s like people have this idea that only the Uber wealthy can afford to live here, but that’s because they’re thinking about it in terms of like, “well yeah I’d need enough money for a 10,000 sq ft living space, full laundry room, a garage, backyard, etc.” poo poo ain’t cheap or easy, but there’s millions of people living here and only a very tiny handful of them are anywhere close to “wealthy.”

I sold my car when I moved here and it was one of the best decisions ever. gently caress commuting, gently caress car insurance, gently caress other drivers, and gently caress driving in Western NY winters ✌️

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gay for gacha posted:

I feel like it can make sense to commute for certain reasons. My friend's family lives in NJ, and he is planning on taking the train up to his workplace to commute. Apparently his new workplace is by Grand Central. Personally I wouldn't do it but I don't doubt he saves money if he can manage it.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

gay for gacha posted:

within city limits the same square footage is 2000+

and i already use the rail/buses, living in the city id get approx 200 a month to spend on food, entertainment, and my phone bill after rent/water/electric

i get what you are saying, but im living on poverty wages as is, and the only way id find cheaper living would be to live somewhere way beyond rail/buses.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

My brother

We are the mixed kids of a brother from Detroit and a dumb California bimbo blonde that somehow happened

I turned out great and have a normal life. My older brother never had friends growing up and constantly acted out at home. He realized in high school that being annoying and acting like a dumbass goofball that he could be popular. He got big into the party scene and started doing drugs. He got busted at some point and arrested. He flunked out of college after like two terms. Since then he has only been living at home with my mother and doesn’t work, doesn’t date, got fat and unkempt and doesn’t do anything except drink and sit around yelling at people on Facebook.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Facebook has prob ruined more lives than at least some hard drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

i did the learn to code thing and was making a middle-class living but it also made me learn to want to blow my brains out so i stopped doing it.

thank god so many people feel this way or else i wouldn't be able to make six figures working like 3-5 hours a day