Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

SirPablo posted:

Use a loving tarp

Go a couple hundred yards up the road, try to wave people down with a tarp, the wind pulls the tarp from your hands and wraps it around a car's windshield, congratulations now you have a second massive pile up right behind the first massive pileup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Zerg Mans posted:

why do people drive so fast when they can't see at all

in my experience this is how people drive anywhere that snow is common enough to be a regular occurrence but not severe enough that you actually need to keep snow tires on your car and drive carefully over the winter

just lots of idiots barrelling through unsafe conditions because they don't understand anything, and when they inevitably drive right into a ditch they'll blame their car and think they need something bigger and beefier

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The last time I drove I-81 was coming back from my Canada trip in August 2019 - I needed to make it to Wilkes-Barre to bed down for the night and I'd driven from Buffalo after having crossed there. I saw this nasty loving thunderhead in the distance and was hoping to whatever deity was listening that I'd make it there before the sky opened up because that loving road is dangerous enough at night without it being wet.

It also probably doesn't help that people have slacked off even more over the pandemic with regards to maintaining their cars - like making sure they don't drive on bald loving tires or dangerously worn brakes.

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 04:23 on Mar 29, 2022

Griz
May 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/JohnCoviello1/status/1508540236879613960

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

this is why it's important to speed up in low visibility, you want to get out of there before a pileup happens and you're stuck on the road for 8 hours like a loser

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
from a game theory point of view slamming the breaks immediately makes most sense, you'll be rear-ended sure but maybe just pushed forward a bit and the whole pile-up will happen behind you, just trust your airbag

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Vesi posted:

from a game theory point of view slamming the breaks immediately makes most sense, you'll be rear-ended sure but maybe just pushed forward a bit and the whole pile-up will happen behind you, just trust your airbag

this is a good way to turn your spine into jello

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

this is the thought process going through every single driver:"drat this snow is making me late. why don't I speed up to make up for lost time??"

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Did this happen yesterday or Monday? Cause yesterday was Taco Tuesday so it makes sense if people were speeding

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
They should widen that highway to add another emergency lane to avoid this

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

alarumklok posted:

this is a good way to turn your spine into jello

i like your gorgon

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Gripweed posted:

Go a couple hundred yards up the road, try to wave people down with a tarp, the wind pulls the tarp from your hands and wraps it around a car's windshield, congratulations now you have a second massive pile up right behind the first massive pileup.

Oh hey, that's like using a counterburn to help control a forest fire.

Always carry a tarp.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
turn on your freakin blinkers

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
What's the play if you successfully stop before slamming into the pile up? Drive off to the side and get out and run into the woods?

Anybody thinking you could flag down drivers further up the road has not spent much time with American drivers. Almost to a person they'd be like "Oh, weird someone waving at me frantically. Oh well, better keep going." Some of them would assume you're part of a Satanic kidnapping gang and speed up.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

PostNouveau posted:

What's the play if you successfully stop before slamming into the pile up? Drive off to the side and get out and run into the woods?

If you know it's coming? Get as far off the road as you can and then abandon your car and wait in the woods. You'd ideally want your car all the way down into the ditch. You'd probably need a tow to get back out, but odds are good your car will be fine and you'll give the people behind you a little more room to avoid hitting anything.

But honestly just get the gently caress away. Even the dude taking that video was way too close.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Paradoxish posted:

If you know it's coming? Get as far off the road as you can and then abandon your car and wait in the woods. You'd ideally want your car all the way down into the ditch. You'd probably need a tow to get back out, but odds are good your car will be fine and you'll give the people behind you a little more room to avoid hitting anything.

But honestly just get the gently caress away. Even the dude taking that video was way too close.

When my old car broke down on the freeway, 5 or so years ago now, the tow truck driver told me all kinds of horror stories about how easy it is for someone not paying attention to just flat out kill people just waiting around on the side of the road. One of them included a tow truck getting obliterated by a semi.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

PostNouveau posted:

Anybody thinking you could flag down drivers further up the road has not spent much time with American drivers. Almost to a person they'd be like "Oh, weird someone waving at me frantically. Oh well, better keep going." Some of them would assume you're part of a Satanic kidnapping gang and speed up.

you get into the ditch and hightail it into the woods and get behind a tree or something. if you end up in the pile up, you need to make a choice between trying to get out, or just staying in your car and hoping you don't get clobbered by a semi. you are insanely at risk while trying move to the roadside, so if it's going to involve clambering over another car or something, you kinda just have to sit tight

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it's 34 degrees out. it was 70-75 a week or two ago. it will be almost 70 on thursday

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
haha, yeah

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

triple sulk posted:

it's 34 degrees out. it was 70-75 a week or two ago. it will be almost 70 on thursday

well, that's normal for continental weather!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

triple sulk posted:

sounds like nice weather

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

WoodrowSkillson posted:

you get into the ditch and hightail it into the woods and get behind a tree or something. if you end up in the pile up, you need to make a choice between trying to get out, or just staying in your car and hoping you don't get clobbered by a semi. you are insanely at risk while trying move to the roadside, so if it's going to involve clambering over another car or something, you kinda just have to sit tight

yup, you never want to be on the side of an active highway

a human body is very fragile compared to several tons of metal

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

maybe yours is, soyboy

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

yeah if I'm in that situation I'm just gonna go 200 yards from the freeway and build a fire to prepare for my new life alone in the woods (and die)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zerg Mans posted:

yeah if I'm in that situation I'm just gonna go 200 yards from the freeway and build a fire to prepare for my new life alone in the woods (and die)

I'm always very curious about what happened to the drivers of vehicles that I see unoccupied in the center median. Did they somehow manage to get to the other side? Did someone pick them up? Is this the rapture? :iiam:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

TACD posted:

this is why it's important to speed up in low visibility, you want to get out of there before a pileup happens and you're stuck on the road for 8 hours like a loser

The tow truck at 60s made it through because they were going fast enough!

The safest places for you to be in that situation are:
#1. Away from the pile up
#2. In your vehicle

The least safe place is the transition from #2 to the #1.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Going to be awesome when we just every week have huge pulses of arctic air cover the us

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/Ch5RatchetNews/status/1508539775334162438

the guy slipping and falling trying to dive out of the way of the incoming truck lol

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

the guy slipping and falling trying to dive out of the way of the incoming truck lol

lmao driving into a truck full of propane tanks (probably empty but still)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cup Runneth Over posted:

:stare:

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

in his defense, that trucker was making great time, especially considering the weather

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Lol those tags, that twitter handle.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

You gotta drive fast or else you don't get that cool effect of flying through the snowflakes. Like going through hyperspace and into a wormhole to the pileup dimension

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I love the “Gah!” as he is crashes into the truck while speeding in whiteout conditions

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

really sucks if you were somewhat prudent and stopped in time but lol toot toot here comes Mr. Trucker delivering 20 tons of dumbfuckery at 70mph

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

my cat is norris posted:

i like your gorgon

ty fortress best town

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Shifty Pony posted:

really sucks if you were somewhat prudent and stopped in time but lol toot toot here comes Mr. Trucker delivering 20 tons of dumbfuckery at 70mph

Trucks have speed regulators controlled by gps so you have to go 70 mph at all times

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Looking spicy today in the South.

https://twitter.com/nwsspc/status/1509150462716497921?s=21

quote:

Shear will be strong across the entire region, as 90-110 kt of
700-500-mb layer flow develop ahead of the ejecting shortwave trough
over the Mid-South, along with a broad, 60-85-kt LLJ. Forecast
soundings reasonably depict 50-70 kt effective-shear magnitudes,
along with large, well-curved hodographs fostering 300-600 J/kg
effective SRH (locally higher). This will support line-embedded
tornadic supercells and LEWP/mesovortex features, as well as bowing
segments to locally maximize destructive-wind potential. Any
preceding, sustained supercells that do develop would be fast-moving
(around 50 kt based on the Bunkers algorithm), with potential for
long tornado tracks
if storm-scale occlusions are not very rapid.
Downward momentum transfer from layers of intense gradient flow in
low/middle-levels also my augment the severe-downdraft threat, with
bursts of hurricane-force gusts possible.

Luneshot has issued a correction as of 18:47 on Mar 30, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SorePotato posted:

You gotta drive fast or else you don't get that cool effect of flying through the snowflakes. Like going through hyperspace and into a wormhole to the pileup dimension

"We can't stop here, this is tarp country!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
https://twitter.com/brianemfinger/status/1509156696593154049