Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oh man, jealous. how heavy is that thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I'm back with more stupid music poo poo! My wife's aunt asked if she could keep her organ in our studio because the club closed and she had to get it out.

1958 Hammond C3 with Leslie is now indefinitely parked in my basement and as soon as I replace some tubes it's going to roar.

fuckin sick

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

izagoof posted:

oh man, jealous. how heavy is that thing?

~450lbs for the organ and maybe 200 for the speaker, which is a lot of the reason I don't expect it to move anytime soon

We fired it up last night and both rotors in the Leslie seemed to work and the organ seems to output properly but I think four of the five tubes are burned and it was too much hum

I was also very specifically told which tubes you pull for various overdriven sounds and not to tell the repair guy

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I bet the repair guys are insufferable as hell

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

izagoof posted:

Full grognard for sure

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

izagoof posted:

Repair guy weirdness tier list

S+ Organ Repairmen
S Piano Tuners
A Band instrument techs, guitar amp techs
B Luthiers and orchestral instrument peeps

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
All five dulcimer makers and repairers whom I know died so I had to glue my bridge back on myself. The organ guy is retired but apparently is willing to come out for this one.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My girlfriend is making me a dulcimer with weird details like a wider fretboard for bends. I tried to get her to do a warlock style headstock but I don’t think she’s going for that.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Techs are all weird because they're all either 'musicians who didn't manage to become pro musicians', or the even weirder subset of 'people who aren't musicians but still want to work with musicians instead of normal adults??'. Nobody voluntarily gets into this industry unless their brain is broken in very specific ways.

I'm Type 1, just for info.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Snowy posted:

My girlfriend is making me a dulcimer with weird details like a wider fretboard for bends. I tried to get her to do a warlock style headstock but I don’t think she’s going for that.

Hockey stick instead

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the real stupid music poo poo right now is how backlogged my local techs are. im glad they're not at risk of going out of business but last time i went the wait on some simple setup work went from a week or less to like 3 weeks

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
My stupidest music poo poo lately is that I had the idea to make a sort of electric guitar version of a dan bau so I could play it with an ebow. Was gonna hack it together with poo poo from the hardware store, etc. For those not familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3HUT7KGcVo

Then I realized my guitar has a hole for a tremolo bar so I essentially already own one.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

darkwasthenight posted:

the even weirder subset of 'people who aren't musicians but still want to work with musicians instead of normal adults??'.
Ah, the Leo Fender archetype

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

darkwasthenight posted:

Techs are all weird because they're all either 'musicians who didn't manage to become pro musicians', or the even weirder subset of 'people who aren't musicians but still want to work with musicians instead of normal adults??'. Nobody voluntarily gets into this industry unless their brain is broken in very specific ways.

I'm Type 1, just for info.
I love your honesty here because it comports with my life experience exactly.

I'm reliving the whole thing right now because we're getting the personnel for the band together for the very first time on Saturday. I've gotten my old buddy that I played in the Progressive band back in the 90's on board now, he joined the band this week and the other keyboardist was released.
Apart from him everyone I've met on this journey to get back on stage is new to me and some things just don't change. Musicians are weird. There is so much insecurity and ego in everything we do to attempt to assemble a team, actually create a good product, and then scrabble to get some of the limited gigs that are out there. When you look at it up close it does feel bizarre, surreal; in my case because I've been pre-occupied with making a career at the airport for so long that jumping in feet-first like this has been jarring... this process is bringing back a lot of the very specific concerns wanna-be performers have to content with and I'd forgotten about.

It's just funny being reminded so immediately how everyone is so tied up in their need to be valued, to be recognized, that it makes us all a little crazier than we already are to begin with. It's not all bad. The good news is most of us are this way because we want to be very good. Or at least better.

The material I am learning right now is a treasure trove of great guitar parts. Sure, plenty of garbage too, but even dumb songs sometimes have great, fun guitar hooks. I really hope Saturday goes well. I'm in the woodshed as much as my fingertips can take. I want to kill it, even though I've already got the gig. Three more days, and I still have about five last songs to learn before we move to the next batch.

There's not one adult I've met so far I would consider "normal." Normal for a musician, sure.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
That old saying about being in a band being like trying to navigate four simultaneous marriages at once is mostly right, they just forgot to mention that at least two of the other people will have bpd, two will have substance abuse issues, and everyone will have crippling parent based psychological issues.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
a band is just a polycule where you never get laid

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Kingo Ligma posted:

That old saying about being in a band being like trying to navigate four simultaneous marriages at once is mostly right, they just forgot to mention that at least two of the other people will have bpd, two will have substance abuse issues, and everyone will have crippling parent based psychological issues.
Bro don't doxx plz

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Kingo Ligma posted:

That old saying about being in a band being like trying to navigate four simultaneous marriages at once is mostly right,

Isn't that Fleetwood Mac?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr. Faustus posted:

Bro don't doxx plz

lol

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Mad Dragon posted:

Isn't that Fleetwood Mac?

Mister Speaker posted:

a band is just a polycule where you never get laid

Doesn't check out.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Encountered what we call a 'fail state' on a valve while filming a demo on my lunch today. Not supposed to look like that. Back to the testing bench!

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Hell yeah a Squier

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

darkwasthenight posted:

Encountered what we call a 'fail state' on a valve while filming a demo on my lunch today. Not supposed to look like that. Back to the testing bench!

Shouldn't have payed a tritone, went and opened a portal to hell

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

darkwasthenight posted:

Your amp was so despondent over being used for bass solos it decided to apply for work as lighting/pyro.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46qjDJ0lLdE

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
OK that's actually pretty dope. I should have known, if there's anyone in the world who can pull off an instrument like that, it's Steve Vai. More than a bit noodly for my tastes (twelve years ago I would have loved every minute of it), I just kind of skimmed the video but it does sound incredible, especially the half-fretless bass.

What are some of the more out-there features on the thing? I saw him twiddle a knob at some point that seemed to rapidly cycle the guitar neck through some weird timbres. Doesn't it also have a button called "THE CLIMAXINATOR" or something on it?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

edit: nm

duodenum fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 2, 2022

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

needs a kaoss pad

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
There was no need to edit this, I was posting to agree.

This performance is why I love Steve Vai. It is also the reason why I don't listen to anything other than old DLR band Steve Vai, Flex-able, and Passion. Everything after that is, I am sure, pretty damned great except for the album I will not mention.

There are a couple tracks on this one that I actually am strangely attracted to hear again (this one really has grown on me, because I feel like i "get it.")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkrmzVMWlLo

It's still very Stupid Music poo poo. We get to have our Steves and eat them, too. I have seen the Hydra performance, I appreciate it, I will probably never watch it again unless I get bored. Your post was fine.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Heck I can one up duodenum with an even worse opinion: I don't listen to any of the "classical shredders" because even though it's high level guitar skill I'll never have, I find all the noodling boring as hell and forgettable. Steve's hydra performance was neat, but it's a day later and all I remember is a lot of harp hits, and not too much going on with the bass due to the nature of the instrument he's created. I too probably won't watch it ever again.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I love this thing for the fact that it just exists and looks pretty neat. I'm not into whatever subgenre of elevator music Vai specializes in but I'm pretty impressed he can keep this thing held up by his cock.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

sigher posted:

I'm not into whatever subgenre of elevator music Vai specializes in

It’s kinda like 80s-90s generic corporate video music. The loving Champs were good at whatever that sound is

E-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY4Aimi-lhQ

Snowy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 4, 2022

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I don't know how Vai keeps track of what's happening where. I'd have my hands crossed up immediately. He's all over the place on that thing but super fluid movement. Seriously impressive. Seeing live tour footage should be interesting.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Snowy posted:

It’s kinda like 80s-90s generic corporate video music. The loving Champs were good at whatever that sound is

E-

Oh this is dope as loving poo poo.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Snowy posted:

E-
Taking any opportunity to post the one true master of 80s-90s corporate video shred, Myrone, who I think I discovered in this thread many years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pbzUBg_AjY

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I mean, let's face it. Anyone who's followed Vai knew that it would inevitably lead to something like this.

(Also, I kind of want to see what MAB could do with this thing.)

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 7, 2022

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm all about Vai now honestly. I find his music boring and I don't want to listen to it, but the dude himself is a huge nerd, amazing player and just wants to do weird rear end poo poo to entertain himself and others.

He needs a Hydra that spits acid (green goo) periodically, while his shoes shoot out fog and light up the stage. gently caress it, dude is awesome, be loving weird, nerdy and crazy.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Agreed. He's not worth listening to, but he's absolutely living the life I wish I had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Steve Vai has made some cool poo poo over the years and keeps at it, I like Steve Vai, like some of his music, really enjoy some of his supergroup performances over the years & he's stayed involved in some way with my dude Devin Townsend which I also think is cool. I could not disagree more that he's not worth listening to, but to each their own.