Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I moved a 15g with cherry shrimp across town using a similar method, taking out anything that could move, leaving livestock in a low water level, but I kept the old water in a plastic can and put some of the water back when we got to the destination, because changing too much water at once can shock shrimp. Amanos are tougher though I think so this might not be a concern for you. A lot of fine silty muck came out of the substrate during moving and it settled soon enough and didn't seem to affect anyone adversely. If you can test the water at your new place (idk for stuff like copper I guess) to make sure it's safe for inverts, doing a bigger water change is less of a problem, if it's a good match with your existing water. 5 blocks is probably the same source water but the building pipes might have copper not PVC pipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Stoca Zola posted:

I moved a 15g with cherry shrimp across town using a similar method, taking out anything that could move, leaving livestock in a low water level, but I kept the old water in a plastic can and put some of the water back when we got to the destination, because changing too much water at once can shock shrimp. Amanos are tougher though I think so this might not be a concern for you. A lot of fine silty muck came out of the substrate during moving and it settled soon enough and didn't seem to affect anyone adversely. If you can test the water at your new place (idk for stuff like copper I guess) to make sure it's safe for inverts, doing a bigger water change is less of a problem, if it's a good match with your existing water. 5 blocks is probably the same source water but the building pipes might have copper not PVC pipes.

Thanks, I should check because I have the depreciation reports which would touch on this. I'm moving from a building built in 1960 to a concrete highrise from 1999, not sure if that plays into things at all. I'd expect the current building to have the copper pipes but I did test this and didn't find it to be an issue. I did consider reusing the water but I was just concerned that the temp of the water might change quite a lot and no longer be the same as the temp of the water in the tank, since I'd be moving the other water in smaller containers. I'd be matching the current temp of the water when I got to the new place.

Great points - thanks.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Keep some Prime on hand. have you tested the water at the new place? Might just be my city but five blocks is enough space for another water company to have and maintain the lines, so the water chemistry might be off. Since 5 gallons isn't that much, I'd just fill some water jugs with treated water from your current place, and bring with.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Alternatively if bringing water from the old place is a pain you can probs make do with a 5gal of distilled water from the store in a pinch.

Or hell even spring water (use Prime)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Felt this was getting a little long in the tooth so I've been giving it some trimming and TLC, upgraded filter too. Think it's a little nicer now.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I put a Fluval E200 heater in my 60 gallon maybe a month ago. After moving it so it would stop complaining about low flow it seemed fine for a couple of weeks, but now it's constantly over temp though it's still reporting the temperature accurately based on my second thermometer.

Since it was heating to ~80 and I wanted it to be closer to 76 I changed the set point down to 73, but that doesn't appear to have made any difference—it just heats to 80 and flashes red because it's way over temperature instead of just a little over temperature. I sent an email to their support, but any ideas?

I'm going to try cleaning it to see if that makes any difference, but it seems bizarre. What the hell is the point of the heater knowing what temperature the water is if it's going to heat 7+ degrees past the set point anyway?

Mozi posted:

Felt this was getting a little long in the tooth so I've been giving it some trimming and TLC, upgraded filter too. Think it's a little nicer now.

Looks great! The plants are so well established I'm questioning if they even are what I think they are. Is that a huge pad of anubias in the front there? :swoon: And what's the stem plant growing taller? They kind of look like bucephalandra but I am bad at aquatic plants.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 21, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Thanks! Yeah it's a whole lot of anubias nana, bucephelandras and cryptocoryne on the left. Big marimo mossball with anubias growing into it in the lower right.

Fishwise it's corys (obviously... love those guys, have the big ones but also some of the pygmies), a few glowlight rasboras but it's mostly a whole lot (not sure the exact number, started with about 40 but I see little babies) of emerald dwarf rasboras which are really cool but mostly hang out in the plants and they're hard to see in photos. A few otos, also yellow neocardinia shrimp, a few amanos, a bamboo shrimp and a vampire shrimp. And various snails...

For your heater issue - it might be broken, when mine went in my other tank it was accurately reporting the temp (too hot!) but wouldn't stop heating. You can try putting it in a bucket of water or something and measuring it to be totally sure it's screwed up, should probably have a backup heater ready to go in any case just in case. Otherwise you can try using a temperature controller (such as this one) with a separate thermometer to turn the heater on and off but really I'd look at getting a replacement... Fluval should help though if it's in the warranty period. Might also double check it's located in a spot in the tank that gets good water flow around it.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Tank in my office at work

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I finally got around to shimming the stand and putting some little drawers for fish food and poo poo on it. It ended up being more complicated than I anticipated because of where I had to put the slides. I think it turned out alright for a $120 workbench from the Despot; I thought about hiding the canister but I don't think a huge fuckoff cabinet door would really improve things.

Ignore the dust & fingerprints & algae. I am a bad person. Also waiting on some nerites.

Mozi posted:

Thanks! Yeah it's a whole lot of anubias nana, bucephelandras and cryptocoryne on the left. Big marimo mossball with anubias growing into it in the lower right.
Are you injecting CO2? I have some anubias nana petite which has grown a good bit but at the rate it's going it would take a long rear end time to get a pad of it that big.

Mozi posted:

For your heater issue - it might be broken, when mine went in my other tank it was accurately reporting the temp (too hot!) but wouldn't stop heating. You can try putting it in a bucket of water or something and measuring it to be totally sure it's screwed up, should probably have a backup heater ready to go in any case just in case. Otherwise you can try using a temperature controller (such as this one) with a separate thermometer to turn the heater on and off but really I'd look at getting a replacement... Fluval should help though if it's in the warranty period. Might also double check it's located in a spot in the tank that gets good water flow around it.

It's only about a month old so it's definitely in warrantee. I washed it off and sent Fluval customer support a ticket. It seemed to still be running hot afterward but now it seems to be holding temperature appropriately. Maybe it was just fine particulate from the substrate and poo poo sitting on the element? I should probably get a controller but I can see the color of the light from my desk so I guess I'm likely to notice if it starts loving up again.

SocketWrench posted:

Tank in my office at work
Crayfish are so cool. I wish they didn't hate plants :(

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Wallet posted:

Crayfish are so cool. I wish they didn't hate plants :(

Crayfish hate everything. That's their default by nature

Wallet posted:

I finally got around to shimming the stand and putting some little drawers for fish food and poo poo on it. It ended up being more complicated than I anticipated because of where I had to put the slides. I think it turned out alright for a $120 workbench from the Despot; I thought about hiding the canister but I don't think a huge fuckoff cabinet door would really improve things.

Probably better without a door. Let people see the effort you put into filtering, and you'll just end up cursing a lot and asking yourself why when it comes to cleaning that filter and having to gently caress around with a door in the way

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 23, 2022

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Wallet posted:

I thought about hiding the canister but I don't think a huge fuckoff cabinet door would really improve things.

I'd make a fabric panel with magnets--easy to remove/wash/replace. At some point I'm going to make matching curtains for my front door window and under my aquarium stand. I already made a waterproof pad to protect my stand from drips and a fabric sleeve to protect my air tubing from the cat.

A terrible picture but you get the idea.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Any recommendations for a nanotank stand? It's 5g, the one I saw at petsmart looked great, had storage, was super heavy + sturdy, but was for a 10g and was almost $250 CAD. I get that most people put their 5g tanks just on a shelf or whatever but I don't really have a fantastic solution to this or a great place for it and I have a cat that I'd like to keep away from it as best I can. It's on a fireplace mantle right now but moving in a month.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Any recommendations for a nanotank stand? It's 5g, the one I saw at petsmart looked great, had storage, was super heavy + sturdy, but was for a 10g and was almost $250 CAD. I get that most people put their 5g tanks just on a shelf or whatever but I don't really have a fantastic solution to this or a great place for it and I have a cat that I'd like to keep away from it as best I can. It's on a fireplace mantle right now but moving in a month.

I'd just look for a cool end table or something. You can probably score a nice looking one on facebook marketplace or craigslist for $25-50.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Wallet posted:

Are you injecting CO2? I have some anubias nana petite which has grown a good bit but at the rate it's going it would take a long rear end time to get a pad of it that big.

No CO2, just years!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I had a regular anubias that ended up as long as my arm after seven years (of neglect).

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

VelociBacon posted:

I ended up getting a side table from Kohl's online, with 3 pull out baskets below for storage. If you can score a 30% off coupon it's even better!

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
General question on what tools I could use to scrape and clean algae in my pond. I know I should be keeping floating plants to keep some sunlight out to prevent algae growth, but I still want to scrape away algae before I can get some new stuff for the spring and summer. My pond is basically like a huge planter that in a shape of a cone so the sides are curved, which defeats using conventional straight edge tools for scraping. The shape is basically a reverse conical frustum, like the shape of most plant pots (grows wide as it goes up). It's made out of thick plastic. Most straight edges just ends up scratching the inside with the very top and bottom tip of the tool.

Am I just doomed to scratch algae growing along the sides with my fingers?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

candystarlight posted:

I ended up getting a side table from Kohl's online, with 3 pull out baskets below for storage. If you can score a 30% off coupon it's even better!

Hmm thanks!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Willsun posted:

General question on what tools I could use to scrape and clean algae in my pond. I know I should be keeping floating plants to keep some sunlight out to prevent algae growth, but I still want to scrape away algae before I can get some new stuff for the spring and summer. My pond is basically like a huge planter that in a shape of a cone so the sides are curved, which defeats using conventional straight edge tools for scraping. The shape is basically a reverse conical frustum, like the shape of most plant pots (grows wide as it goes up). It's made out of thick plastic. Most straight edges just ends up scratching the inside with the very top and bottom tip of the tool.

Am I just doomed to scratch algae growing along the sides with my fingers?

What you want is called a "sponge algae scrubber" or "algae scrub pad." They come on sticks or just as pads. They'll squish and bend to the right shape and shouldn't be too hard on the plastic.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Those 3M Scotch Brite green scrubber pads would work too if you don't mind getting in there and going to town.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Those 3M Scotch Brite green scrubber pads would work too if you don't mind getting in there and going to town.

Yeah those are pretty much the same thing but a LOT cheaper. Completely slipped my mind.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Little fucker doesn't even like the taste of moss balls. "Well gently caress it. I'm in this tank, it's in this tank, we can't coexist"

Enos Cabell posted:

These things are like general purpose everything. Algae scrubbing, filter replacements, pre filter screens. Like duct tape of the aquarium hobby

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 25, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

From the depreciation report in the building I'm moving into:

I can't figure out if this means that the pipes are black iron or that they're copper. I'll post this in the plumbing thread too but I find the wording confusing.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

From the depreciation report in the building I'm moving into:

I can't figure out if this means that the pipes are black iron or that they're copper. I'll post this in the plumbing thread too but I find the wording confusing.

I read that as the main runs are iron, with each individual branch unit using copper. Probably bet on both being in use simultaneously. No mention of lead though!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Just noticed a rasbora with a huge lump on its side, still trying to remove from the tank...

any thoughts on possible cause? Google suggests it might be cancer, which would be a bummer for that fish but good news in that it's not something contagious...

Managed to get him out

more tiny black growths on the opposite side of the main one by the base of his tail

Whatever it was, poor guy was obviously pretty far gone so he's resting peacefully now. :smith:

Mozi fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 28, 2022

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I wasn't happy with my little tank's scape or how the plants were growing in and since I had only barely started stocking the bigger tank I decided to just move the fish from the little one to the big one. I found an extra Pseudomugil luminatus while I was moving everyone last night but I saw fry previously so that made sense. I was just checking in on them in the bigger tank and there's another very small one in there (around 1 cm). I'm not sure how it got there since I didn't net it out of the other tank and as far as I know they lay eggs. I guess maybe it was on one of the plants I moved or something. Hopefully no one eats it—the little tank had a huge wad of moss to hide in but this one mostly has larger plants.

Edit: There's two of them!

Wallet fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 28, 2022

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Mozi posted:

Just noticed a rasbora with a huge lump on its side..

I've seen this in four of my rasboras over the years, one of my red tail rasboras developed a lump not long after I got it and survived for a few months, another one developed it after about a year and there's one that I've seen just recently. Then one of my espei in a completely different tank developed a very similar lump. It's always in around the same spot, in the muscle of the tail. I thought it was contagious (TB lesions maybe) at first but it's only affected that batch of rasboras and there are tons of other unaffected fish in the tank - the difference being that the other fish are ones I've bred myself. My theory is that some of the harsher medications and anti parasitics they are treated with at the supplier give them a much higher chance of cancer. The rasboras were all originally from the same supplier although bought at different times, so I think medication is likely to be common across species and over time and even used by different suppliers, to tie these cases together. At least one of the medications I've used, I later found caused infertility in the fish treated. The standards for fish medication side effects are much lower than they are for human medications (or perhaps non-existent). In any case, sorry for your loss and I agree that it's likely cancer and the rest of your fish shouldn't be at risk of catching anything.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone have experience with diy co2? I’m using this guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtpfltN15-8 but not really getting sufficient pressure to consistently drive a neo co2 ceramic diffuser. Maybe I should just use a different diffusion method?

Edit: managed to get some output by just letting the pressure build up overnight, though it’s slightly disappointing output.

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 30, 2022

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
So I fed my cray at work and filmed the ensuing spaz as he tries to get to it. Youtube wouldn't let me add Benny Hill music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPxc9eSYaBI

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Anyone have any particular heaters they like for a 60g? This stupid fluval thing worked fine for a while and now it's back to running consistently over temp and I don't trust it.

Added some nerites finally and some loaches, though the loaches all immediately disappeared. Hopefully they show up again some time after they get comfortable.

On the plus side no one seems much interested in eating the fry and they're still hanging out in there.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 1, 2022

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Wallet posted:

Anyone have any particular heaters they like for a 60g? This stupid fluval thing worked fine for a while and now it's back to running consistently over temp and I don't trust it.

Added some nerites finally and some loaches, though the loaches all immediately disappeared. Hopefully they show up again some time after they get comfortable.

On the plus side no one seems much interested in eating the fry and they're still hanging out in there.

Eheim, hands down. They're kind of fiddly to dial in the temperature initially, but I've had 0 issues with them after.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Wallet posted:

#NoHeaterLyfe

heaters are for suckers and fools

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Laughs in Minnesotan.

Eheim glass heater and some sort of controller is my vote, currently running an ancient AquaController Jr.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I'm just running the old school glass heater with the little twisty control knob.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Wandering Orange posted:

Laughs in Minnesotan.

Eheim glass heater and some sort of controller is my vote, currently running an ancient AquaController Jr.

The Eheim Jager's rock pretty hard once you get them dialed in.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

How about running a heater on a temperature controller for some extra redundancy

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Rated PG-34 posted:

How about running a heater on a temperature controller for some extra redundancy

I may just stick a controller on the one I have now since if I go with a Jager or something I'd want a controller anyway. The Fluval isn't runaway heating, it's steady it just seems to decide that instead of running at a consistent 75 like I set it it wants to run at a consistent 77 for reasons I can't fathom since it literally has a temperature readout on it and accurately indicates that it's above the set temperature. I'm thinking maybe it doesn't like the angle I have it set at because of where the temperature sensors are.

In other tank news with 9 kuhli loaches in there for just over 48 hours I have seen exactly one of them exactly once. Most of the corys have chilled out and are now back to doing their snuffling around then taking a nap in the middle of the substrate without a care in the world thing, so at least they're providing a good example.

The smaller nerites (I got 5) were slacking for almost two full days but they're now getting to work. One side of the tank gets extra light from the window and I'm hoping 5 is going to be enough to keep up with the algae on the glass. I guess I can add more if not.

And the Pseudomugil fry are now darting all over the shop with their parents after spending three or four days hiding under some lily pads in the corner which I take to be a good sign.

That all being what it is, I'm reconsidering my stocking plans somewhat. With the additions from the smaller tank they would have been:
  • 5 Pearl gourami
  • ~20 CPDs
  • 10 Pseudomugil luminatus (Red neon blue eye rainbows is the common name, I guess?)
  • 9 Kuhli loaches
  • 7 Corydoras habrosus
  • 20 Amanos
  • 5 Batman nerites
  • 1 Ramshorn (came free with a plant from somewhere)
  • Infinite bladder snails (unless I can talk the kuhlis into eating them)

Everything except the gourami and the CPDs are already in there, but I'm questioning the gourami; it doesn't seem like there's anyone who will sell me them in an appropriate M:F ratio and I don't want them getting aggressive if they decide to breed. The little guys seem so happy in the tank as it is and I'm worried larger fish will make them a lot less comfortable (and prevent any fry from ever surviving to maturity). I'm equally fond of honey gourami which would at least make the size difference less extreme though they're prone to the same issues with aggression when breeding from what I've read. Am I worrying for nothing or should I just forget about my gourami dreams and let the little fellows run the show?

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 2, 2022

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've had good luck with the Inkbird temp controllers. I've had a few of the Finnex ones crap out on me after a couple of years.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Is that 2 degrees warmer a symptom of other things? Like the sunlight from the side (the reported algae) or just your overhead light? I have my house at 72F and my aquarium sits around 77F without a heater running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

Is that 2 degrees warmer a symptom of other things? Like the sunlight from the side (the reported algae) or just your overhead light? I have my house at 72F and my aquarium sits around 77F without a heater running.

That could be part of it but I can't imagine it holding at 77 all day without the heater ever running (which it shouldn't given it's over temp). The house is at ~70.