Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Nice.

Our water heater died on us last week and it was so nice to look at the quotes, not give a poo poo about the price, and go for the more expensive tankless option. Of course, this means we’ll need to build back up the home emergency fund but that’s what it’s for!

E: um, hilariously, my CIO just called to let me know about a spot bonus for my hard work on a project, that fully covers what we had to spend on the new tankless install.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

devmd01 posted:

Nice.

Our water heater died on us last week and it was so nice to look at the quotes, not give a poo poo about the price, and go for the more expensive tankless option. Of course, this means we’ll need to build back up the home emergency fund but that’s what it’s for!

E: um, hilariously, my CIO just called to let me know about a spot bonus for my hard work on a project, that fully covers what we had to spend on the new tankless install.

Booo, nice, loving kick rear end (in order)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
This'll probably be my last post in here for awhile, but for the best reason.

I had a bunch of CC debt and a car payment, which I have been working at on and off for the last 4?-ish years. I had a thread that died, and nearly two years ago I got back on the wagon and started grinding, hard.

In June 2019, I had just over $18,000 of debt between the car loan and the credit cards.

As of today, I am net positive on my regular accounts, and only have my mortgage remaining.

I was unfortunately laid off this month, but due to my diligent budgeting and reduced spending over the last two years, along with a healthy severance payment, I now have a net worth of about +$5,000 on my non-investment assets, and I haven't even gotten my first unemployment checks. I have an excellent interim gig as a cabinetry carpenter's assistant/apprentice, a couple other private side gigs bringing in semi-regular income, and an almost unbelievable offer in the industrial power generation industry which will land me a 25% increase over my last salary, starting in Q4.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 16, 2021

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Beach Bum posted:

I had a bunch of CC debt and a car payment, which I have been working at on and off for the last 4?-ish years. I had a thread that died, and nearly two years ago I got back on the wagon and started grinding, hard.

In June 2019, I had just over $18,000 of debt between the car loan and the credit cards.

As of today, I am net positive on my regular accounts, and only have my mortgage remaining.

I was unfortunately laid off this month, but due to my diligent budgeting and reduced spending over the last two years, along with a healthy severance payment, I now have a net worth of about +$5,000 on my non-investment rear end, and I haven't even gotten my first unemployment checks. I have an excellent interim gig as a cabinetry carpenter's assistant/apprentice, a couple other private side gigs bringing in semi-regular income, and an almost unbelievable offer in the industrial power generation industry which will land me a 25% increase over my last salary, starting in Q4.

:woop:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Beach Bum posted:

I was unfortunately laid off this month, but due to my diligent budgeting and reduced spending over the last two years, along with a healthy severance payment, I now have a net worth of about +$5,000 on my non-investment rear end, and I haven't even gotten my first unemployment checks. I have an excellent interim gig as a cabinetry carpenter's assistant/apprentice, a couple other private side gigs bringing in semi-regular income, and an almost unbelievable offer in the industrial power generation industry which will land me a 25% increase over my last salary, starting in Q4.

:hellyeah:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Beach Bum posted:

:getin:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Beach Bum posted:

I was unfortunately laid off this month, but due to my diligent budgeting and reduced spending over the last two years, along with a healthy severance payment, I now have a net worth of about +$5,000 on my non-investment assets, and I haven't even gotten my first unemployment checks. I have an excellent interim gig as a cabinetry carpenter's assistant/apprentice, a couple other private side gigs bringing in semi-regular income, and an almost unbelievable offer in the industrial power generation industry which will land me a 25% increase over my last salary, starting in Q4.

:boom:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Crossed the $500K investments plus cash threshold for the first time this month. It may be fleeting (at the whims of the market) but still feels good. Really is crazy to see it ramp up with salary increases and more and more money in the market.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I have ~4 months of emergency funds saved up, in a separate account from my other funds.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I have ~4 months of emergency funds saved up, in a separate account from my other funds.

:toot: the best security for yourself.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Clicking on “my posts” in this thread was a trip. Didn’t realize the thread has been around as long as it has, I haven’t posted anything about myself in here since 2017 when I was still paying off credit card debt.

Since then, I’ve gotten married, bought a house (and a new car) but am debt-free apart from those two items, and have a $5,000+ emergency fund as well as additional savings to pull from if needed, have been contributing more to my IRA, and just started a new job that jumped my income by close to 30%.

Incremental improvements add up. :)

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Aaaand just paid off my last student loan!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Omne posted:

loving yes. Way to go!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Omne posted:

:toot: congrats, that must feel great

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Omne posted:

Nice! :toot:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Saved some money by treating myself to home cooked meals instead of restaurants.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

spwrozek posted:

loving yes. Way to go!

Sirotan posted:

:toot: congrats, that must feel great

Thanks! Feels amazing

Saved some money by treating myself to home cooked meals instead of restaurants.

This is one of those behaviors that can pay off in multiple ways, kudos!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Omne posted:

:hellyeah:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Paid off my student loans on Friday. :toot:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cacafuego posted:

Oh hell yeah :toot:

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

Cacafuego posted:

Congratulations 🥳

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

Hell yeah! Good job!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

H110Hawk posted:

Oh hell yeah :toot:

:toot: Such a good feeling!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Cacafuego posted:

:yeshaha:

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
After a year of schooling and six months of internship I'm signing a contract for a new job as an it-project manager tomorrow. 30% instant pay raise and no more it-janitor work for this goon!

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Potrzebie posted:

After a year of schooling and six months of internship I'm signing a contract for a new job as an it-project manager tomorrow. 30% instant pay raise and no more it-janitor work for this goon!

:toot:. Congrats!! Enjoy the new job.

CtrlAltDeath
Oct 24, 2003

Your bra bomb better work, Nerdlinger!
Last month I asked for more money at my current job since I realized that I was way underpaid for my industry and experience. They approved the number I threw out (which was a hefty jump) without any pushback which makes me think I probably could have gone higher, but hey - first paycheck with the new raise just went through today and it feels great!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Congratulations!!!

Get that money my friend :)

You earned it!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’ve had a bunch of unexpected, big (for me), expenses over the last few months and my net worth hasn’t increased because of it. Net worth is equal to where I was in early 2021.

But on the plus side, it’s neat that I make enough money to be able to handle these emergencies and still stay above water!

CtrlAltDeath
Oct 24, 2003

Your bra bomb better work, Nerdlinger!

I’ve had a bunch of unexpected, big (for me), expenses over the last few months and my net worth hasn’t increased because of it. Net worth is equal to where I was in early 2021.

But on the plus side, it’s neat that I make enough money to be able to handle these emergencies and still stay above water!

Yeah, being at a point where you can handle unexpected things without them becoming huge setbacks is still a win in my book!

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
This week I requested and received a 20% raise. At first it felt a little silly asking for such a big increase, but the president of the company was surprisingly receptive.

It’s pretty remarkable what you can get if you just bother to ask.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Just over 8 years of readin' BFC and usin' YNAB. :sun:

also lol at home ownership

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I got a raise which combined with cost of living adjustments, means I make an incremental amount more after accounting for inflation.

Incremental but still moving in the right direction! :)

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

I got a raise which combined with cost of living adjustments, means I make an incremental amount more after accounting for inflation.

Incremental but still moving in the right direction! :)

Same, 8.9%. Better than not getting one I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Been a long while since I posted in here, but after a full year of self-employment and knowing where I stand, I figured I'd share.

Shorter version
  • Left job, became self-employed (ish)
  • Got a moderate raise, more flexibility, better quality of life
  • An unwanted, stressful, but well-paying consulting side gig provided a substantial increase in earnings for 2021.
  • 2022 will be even more side-income (though I'm hopefully done after that).
  • Able to max my Roth IRA for the first time ever for 2021 (also opened a SEP-IRA), will max out the Roth IRA for 2022 at the end of the month when I get my next side-gig invoice paid.
  • Got a 20% raise for 2022 at my primary gig. Between that and what I'm expecting to bill for my side gig I will be close to doubling my income from my old job.
  • Primary-gig employer said to expect a raise each year, which would come close to effectively replacing what I'm earning at side-gig (though I'm not necessarily counting on it) when that ends.

Longer version
  • At the end of 2020 I left my job (on very good terms, gave them 6+months notice, was an excellent employee, etc) of 18 years to go work with family.
  • I am a contracted employee so I had to get a CPA, form an LLC (S-corp at the recommendation of my CPA), all that scary (for me) stuff.
  • I was effectively getting a raise, but with the LLC and paying payroll taxes, I was paying myself a similar salary to my previous job and hoping to come out a little ahead.
  • I'm pretty conservative with money so I wanted to see how the year panned out to see where I was at. My CPA is great in terms of handling pretty much everything I need to do, but not so great at explaining things to me so I have a hard time understanding what taxes I have to pay and when, etc.
  • New job is 100% remote, good quality of life improvement. Yay!
  • Smash cut to summertime. My replacement at my previous employer leaves and they are basically screwed. Several large, mandatory state/federal projects are happening that they have to comply with.
  • My previous job role was extremely specialized (though not necessarily marketable). I was the sole database developer for in-house database in a moderately uncommon framework (Filemaker) and a very specialized field. I effectively had to know all aspects of the organization to design the database around that. It was rewarding work, but not lucrative. Several other factors make things difficult finding a replacement.
  • Late August the former employer approached me to consult. They knew I didn't want to (I'd rather just have one job), but since I like and respect them and they were out of options, I agreed. They named an hourly rate that was more than 5x my salary hourly rate.
  • Welp, quality of life did go down. You know what "they" say. When you work from home it's hard to separate yourself from work. Pair that with a side gig where you're already behind schedule on 1 massive project and 1 other very time-sensitive project and it seems like I'm working and doing family stuff and that's about it.
  • Finally making progress with the side gig and I'm less stressed about it. Still lot's of work to do, but it should be spread out over a more comfortable period now. I'm hoping this will be the last year before I can step away.
  • Got a 20% raise for 2022 at my primary gig. Between that and what I'm expecting to bill for my side gig I will be close to doubling my income from my old job for 2022.

While I'm still having problems stepping away from work, at least I'm being financially rewarded for it. As mentioned, I'm hoping this year is the last for my side-gig, though I could see them trying to keep me on at an advisory level, potentially. We'll see.

Looking ahead, over the next 2 years, I'm hoping to put this newfound income to use in making home improvements while also paying off the house and my truck. Should be doable.

Jows
May 8, 2002

I've been financially stable and secure for awhile, but I just started a new job where I got a 40% bump in salary, bonus, and 401k contributions. It's wonderful because I feel like I can really start building wealth vs treading water. I'll be close to maxing my tax advantaged options for the first time ever. And I got a nice inheritance (thank you Grandma) which will just help solidify my position. It's a nice place to be.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jows posted:

I've been financially stable and secure for awhile, but I just started a new job where I got a 40% bump in salary, bonus, and 401k contributions. It's wonderful because I feel like I can really start building wealth vs treading water. I'll be close to maxing my tax advantaged options for the first time ever. And I got a nice inheritance (thank you Grandma) which will just help solidify my position. It's a nice place to be.

hell yeah brother

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
This is my favourite thread on the forums and I always enjoy seeing new posts in it :3: Congrats goons!

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

Jows posted:

Hell yeah congratulations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
I recently got my dream job doing convention event logistics for a board game company. Historically I've always bought and resold collectibles for a living, mostly gaming trading cards. (Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, stuff like that.) I used to own a brick and mortar game store before 2020, and I would always get booths at gaming expos, sports shows, trading card conventions, etc to buy and sell collections of cards. Covid made the entire collectibles industry go absolutely bonkers, and with that has come a recent wave of startups and financiers looking to "take over the industry", so to speak.

I met the c-suite of the company in question basically through dumb luck, they really needed a specialist with expertise in the gaming industry, and boom, I'm making 100k a year doing event logistics for a board gaming company. The world is a crazy place.