Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Was just rewatching inherent vice and want to know if the thread has any recs for decent media dealing with similar stuff to Chaos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DirtyRobot posted:

freedom is when your surveillance state is outsourced to private companies who don't have to respond to FOIA requests

Curious!

Especially when the same author thinks China made COVID-19 just the other day

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9629563/Chinese-scientists-created-COVID-19-lab-tried-cover-tracks-new-study-claims.html

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Was just rewatching inherent vice and want to know if the thread has any recs for decent media dealing with similar stuff to Chaos

listen to Micheal S. Judge's podcast

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ghost stories for the end of the world is also pretty good

e: oh, and to get your third pupil dilated about jonestown in particular, check out transmissions from jonestown

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

what the gently caress

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The eye filled tentacle emerges from the annihilated remains of my skull, as a maw forms within itself and it speaks the thread title aloud as my awareness fades to black and my corpse is devoured by the pitch black laughter of a malevolent god

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I coulda sworn he was writing about Jonestown now

Oh hell I'll pre-order that book asap

go Tom go

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

hot date tonight! posted:

You actually don't need to be rich and famous, you can put in a Google maps help ticket to request your home be blurred and they will blur it. However the interesting part is that they say blurring of a home is permanent, even if someone else moves in at a later date.

So it's a bit weird anything on Epstein Island got unblurred.
I thought it was a bad frame from satellite imaging rather than being blurred.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
what if the house is just moving really fast

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

holy loving what

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Riot Bimbo posted:

The eye filled tentacle emerges from the annihilated remains of my skull, as a maw forms within itself and it speaks the thread title aloud as my awareness fades to black and my corpse is devoured by the pitch black laughter of a malevolent god

it’s a living :unsmigghh:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-sNSjS8cq0

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Fly Molo posted:

holy loving what

Demon cracker nation

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

One more entry for the long list of Nazis later hired by the USA

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
But doctor, you ARE Mengele!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

And if you don't think this applies to the entire thread:

Palantir
Peter thiel
Nazis
Brexit
Pedo islands
Cryptocurrency
Data harvesting
Global pandemic

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

seconding this. you gotta pay on patreon but the guy is brilliant, his series on JFK was enthralling

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
twitters digging up a bunch of stuff over the Oscar’s

https://twitter.com/loneiyrd/status/1508933926030512129?s=21&t=taanj9I8acb5Iuu8mkngew

https://twitter.com/ycsm1n/status/1508918848262897664?s=21&t=lyhXoWePPl0FcZbpvB-Nww

wasn’t Zoe kravitz at those James Gunn pretend pedo parties too

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

It should prolly be said explicitly that in addition to the conspiracy stuff Judge literally has a bunch of eps on Pynchon

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://twitter.com/ycsm1n/status/1508945108279840768?t=

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

I just finished it now and man, talk about Project Blue Balls

Is there any new information in it that makes it worth exposing myself to Rogan radiation, or does he just talk more about the process of writing it?

nothing new really but he does allow himself to join soke dots he felt wouldnt fly in the book. the writing does a great job of leading you to a place where you can make your own conclusions and in that int he makes some of his own

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

smarxist posted:

seconding this. you gotta pay on patreon but the guy is brilliant, his series on JFK was enthralling

some of the early stuff is still free, he reuploaded it to his patreon after the Shout Engine server hosting was annihilated, just click "all posts" and scroll a bit

https://www.patreon.com/deathcorner

specifically most of the stuff on jfk, iran/contra, what is fascism, gravity's rainbow, pynchon and the american reconquista

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Riot Bimbo posted:

dont doxx me!!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

some of the early stuff is still free, he reuploaded it to his patreon after the Shout Engine server hosting was annihilated, just click "all posts" and scroll a bit

https://www.patreon.com/deathcorner

specifically most of the stuff on jfk, iran/contra, what is fascism, gravity's rainbow, pynchon and the american reconquista

listening to the fascism ep and this is excellent, im in love already. gonna subscribe for sure and maybe finally get around to reading Pynchon

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Shear Modulus posted:

how young is young

not the thread you wanna be asking this colonoscopy question in

nut
Jul 30, 2019

are we still doing goon projects

https://twitter.com/bgmasters/status/1508515185912283136?s=21

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

its dinner with peter so bring your own blood

nut
Jul 30, 2019

The Saucer Hovers posted:

its dinner with peter so bring your own blood

I was hoping I could do swapsies with him (don’t worry, I’m younger)

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

my bony fealty posted:

listening to the fascism ep and this is excellent, im in love already. gonna subscribe for sure and maybe finally get around to reading Pynchon

I bought Gravity's Rainbow with the intention of being a big smart person who had read Gravity's Rainbow

Instead it has sat on my bookshelf intimidating me for years

I will never escape its baleful gaze

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Well if you ever get around to it let me know if it Gravity's Rainblows

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
gravity's rainbow is good, just keep reading until you enjoy it

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Cloks posted:

drat, can't y'all chill out and enjoy some pizza?

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1507446789523267584

Qu Appelle posted:

Didn't LF also manage to send Joe Biden a pizza when he became the Vice-Presidental candidate?

Edit: Check out that thread OP as well

maxwellhill has issued a correction as of 12:20 on Mar 30, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
this post is going to cut through a number of C-SPAM threads, but the endpoint takes us here, so here it will land

I've been reading Domenico Losurdo's "War and Revolution", which seeks to examine "historical revisionism", which he defines specifically as the practice of rewriting/reinterpreting history to erase revolutionary tradition and history (and not just a more "generic" revisionism of any kind with regards to interpreting historical events and narratives)

the first chapter lays out the case that the reactionaries view communism, and specifically the Bolshevik Revolution, as being part and parcel of a long process that stems from the French Revolution, that people like Richard Pipes are in the same intellectual vein as Edmund Burke, with Nazis like Heidegger and Schmitt also in that lineage

we get to the second chapter, and I'm going to quote directly from the book at this point:

quote:

In historical revisionism, the critique of the revolutionary consciousness of the protagonists of revolution in fact takes the form of an indictment of intellectuals. In the course of it, Furet adopts themes and arguments from opponents of Jacobinism and the French revolutionary cycle. One thinks in the first instance of Burke, remorseless in his polemic against ‘mechanick philosophy’, bereft of any sense of reality and incapable of escaping the magical, accursed circle of ‘abstract principle’ and ‘Chimera’ – in fact, prey to a permanent state of ‘intoxication’.5 With particular reference to the Jacobins, Constant refers to ‘delirium’.6 Across the Atlantic, Hamilton was in no doubt that the enragés were ‘madmen’.7 This diagnosis was revived at each stage of the French revolutionary cycle. In the years following the 1848 revolution and its failure, Tocqueville warned against a ‘virus of a new and unknown kind’;8 while, after the Paris Commune, it was Taine’s turn to denounce the ‘disturbed mental balance’ of the Jacobins, as well as the contagion (similar to the ‘mysterious disease usually found in poor quarters’) rampant in revolutionary France, which was ‘inebriated on the strong liquor of the Social Contract’.9 This is a topos which, with successive variations and modifications, comes down to Cochin and Furet. In addition to citing the student of the sociétés de pensée, Furet refers with especial warmth to Tocqueville, concerned about the spread of the revolutionary virus in France, and makes constant reference to Burke, who was the first to diagnose mental ‘intoxication’ as the original evil of the French Revolution. Another great admirer of the British Whig is Talmon, who in turn denounces the ‘paranoiac streak’ characteristic of Rousseau, Robespierre, Saint-Just and Babeuf.10 Diagnosis of the revolutionary disease links historical revisionism and neo-liberalism.

At this point we can draw an initial conclusion. Furet correctly stresses ‘the discrepancy between the role objectively played by revolutions in historical change and the perception of that role by contemporaries’.16 But he fails to live up to his own methodological criterion: genuine distantiation from the lived experience of the protagonists of revolutionary upheavals is matched by substantial identification with the experience of their antagonists. Thus is explained the re-emergence of the category or metaphor of the revolutionary disease, which not by chance triumphed in the years of the Restoration. In such a way (objects Hegel), rather than regarding the upheavals as the expression of objective ‘contradictions’, everything is explained by recourse to ‘an anomaly and a transient pathological paroxysm’.17 This type of explanation is reiterated by historical revisionism. Diagnosis of the malady undergoes subsequent development and refinement: an attempt is made to take account of developments in psychology, psychoanalysis or sociology, so as to clarify the genesis of the ideological ‘intoxication’ already denounced by Burke. But it is basically faithful to the formulation of the British Whig, who (according to Nolte) is to be credited with having foreseen the catastrophic results of the ‘ideological fanaticism’ diffused even before 1789 ‘among the authors of the Encyclopédie’.18

now, this idea of an "ideological virus" is one I've heard of before - I believe both Dan Carlin and Mike Duncan have used the metaphor before in reference to the French Revolution - that indeed the monarchies declaring war on the newly-born French Republic was an attempt to stop the spread of this "virus" across the rest of Europe

what snagged in my head was the expansion of the metaphor to cover the idea that Marxism was some kind of madness or some kind of mental / psychological illness, because that is the link to contemporary anticommunism where people are brainwashed into becoming communists (which we see as early as American POWs coming back from captivity in North Korea during the 1950s), and then from there the US continually seeks to find ways to either counter this mental programming, or to develop their own brainwashing weaponry themselves (because if the Russians can do it, then obviously the tech is possible, and we can develop it ourselves), and from there we see the genesis of MKULTRA

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Cached Money posted:

This is just the logical conclusion of our public health care being destroyed by right wingers cost cutting measures and privatization, most of the nursing homes are run to make profits for their owners. And these articles are talking about when the pandemic just started to hit Sweden, our lockdown measures started in about April of 2020 I think. We never had a "hard" lockdown or mask mandates but somehow did way better than other countries that did (the UK for example).

shut the gently caress up and take the loss, weirdo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

I coulda sworn he was writing about Jonestown now

Doesn’t mean he’s not still writing about Manson, given the connections…

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

captainbananas posted:

shut the gently caress up and take the loss, weirdo

I'm not going to take "a loss" made up by covid psychos

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Cloks posted:

gravity's rainbow is good, just keep reading until you enjoy it

Yeah this is the way with Gravity's Rainbow, just let that poo poo wash over you, don't try and understand everything that's going on because you can't/won't, treat it as An Experience rather than you as a normal novel

You'll be rewarded, honestly!

Trauts
May 1, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

...with Gravity's Rainbow, just let that poo poo wash over you...

Or swallow it and take preventative antibiotics LMAO

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009
I’ve tried to read Gravity’s Rainbow a few times (and will again) but the phrase “callipygian rondure” has stuck in my head for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

had to look up a few words on this page