Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hate how late the third ball bearing for smithing stones is

I went west instead and all my poo poo's been stuck at +12 lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Malenia vs Radahn is a battle with no winner. Like yeah Caelid is all hosed to the wall, but so is the Haligtree. Neither of them got the other’s great rune which is what the actual fight was about.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Snake Maze posted:

Malenia is basically an invader who got their rear end kicked so they ran away and spammed the carian retaliation glitch until the host died. She might have " "won" " but nobody is impressed.

she is the goddess of the rot lol where do you get off saying "okay radahn can use gravity magic and whatever weird poo poo but malenia's cheating if she uses her own weird powers".

I'm sure Radahn would have won a 1v1 no-items no-magic Final Destination where it's just the two of them trying to punch eachother, but when it came down to it, Malenia decided to use her full powers and turned Radahn into a husk and his kingdom into nightmare fuel. She was basically fighting him with one hand behind her back until then.

skasion posted:

Malenia vs Radahn is a battle with no winner. Like yeah Caelid is all hosed to the wall, but so is the Haligtree.

The Haligtree's just hosed because that's how Malenia do, that's not any of Radahn's doing. In that fight, she completely and irreparably hosed him over, along with everyone in Caelid. He couldn't do anywhere near that sort of damage to her.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 29, 2022

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Sure I got impaled and pissed and poo poo everywhere and took my ball and went home and withered in seclusion because I utterly failed at my intended objective of seizing the ultimate power of my foe, but if you kinda squint in just the right light I have never known defeat.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Having an argument about who won in Malenia v. Radahn is maybe the dumbest tangent this thread has gone on and that's saying something

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Radahn just wants a warrior's death.

Which Malenia couldn't give him.

Because she's known defeat.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

Having an argument about who won in Malenia v. Radahn is maybe the dumbest tangent this thread has gone on and that's saying something

The virgin Melania simp vs the Chad Radahn enjoyer

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah it owns

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

It's less about who won and more about it being funny that Maelnia claiming to be undefeated when she took a seriously pyric victory at best.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Fk yeah

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Malenia was given a dozen infinitely respawning revenants instead of a traditional beast

Phenotype posted:

she is the goddess of the rot lol where do you get off saying "okay radahn can use gravity magic and whatever weird poo poo but malenia auto-loses if she uses her own weird powers".

I'm sure Radahn would have won a 1v1 no-items no-magic Final Destination where it's just the two of them trying to punch eachother, but when it came down to it, Malenia decided to use her full powers and turned Radahn into a husk and his kingdom into nightmare fuel. She was basically fighting him with one hand behind her back until then.

The Haligtree's just hosed because that's how Malenia do, that's not any of Radahn's doing. In that fight, she completely and irreparably hosed him over, along with everyone in Caelid. He couldn't do anywhere near that sort of damage to her.

Well they aren't really her powers anymore than the frenzied flame cultists own their own. She essentially just kills herself to tag in an outer god whose price is the 2nd of 3 fingers on the monkey's paw curling up

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Phenotype posted:

My point is that Caelid being hosed up isn’t some badge of victory for Malenia, it’s just a side effect of her showing up loaded for bear. She probably didn’t even want to rot it in particular, the point of fighting Radahn was to get that rune which she didn’t, any more than he got hers.

2 big red headed losers

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Anyway if Radhan didn't beat her then neither did the Tarnished because she just did the same drat thing only it didn't work this time

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It was a draw tbh.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I wonder if Malenia might come back as a super-duper boss in DLC, but only if you already beat her in the Haligtree. She's gotta come out of that lotus eventually right

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What if this was Winds of Winter ??

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I wonder if Malenia might come back as a super-duper boss in DLC, but only if you already beat her in the Haligtree. She's gotta come out of that lotus eventually right

She's in for a shock because it's gonna be a cold and leaden world devoid of the outer gods thanks to the guidance of Ranni and her consort, a guy dressed exactly like Radhan and using his swords

edit - huh I wonder if my selecting the Ranni ending cures her

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i have some theories about the overarching plot of the game so theres spoilers here:

as far as i can tell the erdtree is just a kind of cosmic parasite, grown from a star beast (like astiel and others) who had a connection to the Greater Will, one of the outer gods. I think that because the elden beast uses both holy magic (which is the Greater Will element basically) and nebula magic like the other star beasts. Several incantations also mention the Erdtree being universally hated and warred with when it first arrived, until it became dominant.

early on it's super vital and gives people extended life and health and freedom from death and injury, but over time decreases in magnitude until its basically just keeping people alive as awful undying husks.

this is kind of an aside but from what i can glean, the main way to actually 'die' in the lands between was Erdtree Burial in the root catacombs, which was seen as a reward for heroes. Godwyn's half-death seems to have hosed this up, because from him deathroot has spread through the erdtree roots and filled all the root catacombs where people should be able to go to 'die' are now infested with Those Who Live In Death.

the tree starts to realise its days are numbered when its vassal, Marika/Radagon, gives birth to Empyreans. Empyreans just seem to be people who have the potential to become full gods like Marika/Radagon, implying that the Greater WIll intends to replace Marika and the Erdtree entirely. The empyreans are:

- Malenia (the strongest, but born corrupted by the Scarlet Rot, a rival Outer Power to the Greater Will)
- Miquella (born stunted, also came to reject Radagon/Marika's interpretation of the Golden Order because it couldn't
- Ranni (the only one without an M name because publically she was the daughter of Rennala and Radagon, not related to Marika at all)
- Melina (hinted at but not confirmed anywhere)

Ranni rejects the Greater Will as oppressive and starts working to kill her own Two Fingers and eventually remove the Greater Will from the planet entirely, so she becomes a problem for the Erdtree.

Malenia is the embodiment of a rival Outer Power, the Scarlet Rot. She keeps blooming in intense situations, and on the third blooming will become a true godess, with a Scarlet Bloom to replace the Erdtree. This actually happens during her boss fight, but the tarnished ends up aborting it. So she's a problem.

Miquella is stuck in a perpetual child state, and the failure of the Golden Order to fix that drives him to seek out his own way, distancing him from the Greater Will orthodoxy and making him more of a threat to Marika. his half-formed nature also means his Godhood could manifest in multiple ways, but more on that in a little bit.

One thing that is noteworthy is that there is the theme of Moon/Stars and Sun duality. Rennala and Radagon's marriage was the union of the sun and moon. The elden beast uses both holy (sun) and nebula (moon) powers. Miquella's gimmick being 'unalloyed gold' isn't a coincidence I don't think. I think Miquella intended to reject the moon element entirely. Loretta's sickle weapon mentions that the glintstone (moon/stars) it once had has been torn out and replaced with amber, which was done when she left the Carians to join Miquella. The golden order, ie the current balance of sun and moon, is explicitly 'alloyed gold' because of that union.

Unalloyed Gold is also a threat to basically every interested party also because it blocks the influence of the Outer Powers. the Unalloyed Gold Needle is used to save Millicent from the scarlet rot, was intended to be used to save Malenia, and can be used by the player to free themself from the Frenzied Flame.

Miquella also started to grow the Haligtree, a rival and intended replacement for the Erdtree, which provoked Marika to act.

She subverts Ranni's plan to kill her Two Fingers to instead do the Night of the Black Knives and take out Godwyn and Ranni together, then (idk how long later) shatters the Elden Ring, casting everything into this awful stalemate.

Radahn fights Malenia to a standstill and prevents her third blooming, cutting short the threat of her godhood. his mindless holding back of the stars also prevents access to Nokron, where Ranni's fingerslayer blade is kept, so even with her soul kicking around Ranni can't move forward with her plans.

Mohg, an omen-cursed non-empyrean royal child, who was touched by the Formless Mother (another Outer Power) uses the distraction to steal the defenseless Miquella. His plan is to feed Miquella a ton of cessblood to make him turn into a vassal for the Formless Mother. This fucks over the Haligtree, which gets warped and deformed by Malenia's rot in Miquella's absence. It is noteworthy that Miquella is not dead even at the end of the game, you never get his greatrune and Gideon tells you that he is still slumbering in the cocoon Mohg made for him.

So anyway, Marika has hosed over the Greater Will's plans for her succession and bought the Erdtree some time, and trapped the realm in a state of endless degradation without death. She didn't necessarily bank on the Greater WIll imprisoning her inside the Erdtree as punishment.

I think Melina is her backup plan for that scenario. She's bodiless and invisible and can only get places if she makes a pact with a Tarnished. the tarnished are also Marika's backup plan, but that's made open from the start. The demigods have failed, the Tarnished need to finish the job.

I think Melina is also part of a second, secret duality, within the sun itself: the division of light and flame. The Erdtree, the two fingers, holy magic, they all represent light. Two Fingers miracles are all light based, the Cipher weapons the two fingers make are words of light.

Fire is represented as antithetical to both the Erdtree and Order in general, but there are hints all over that it is an inescapable part of the Greater Will. Radagon has the red hair of a fire giant, and was said to despise it. This is a metaphor for how the Erdtree despises fire, despite fire being a part of the Greater Will's nature.

I don't think the Frenzied Flame is a different Outer Power, i think it's the second half of the Greater Will. Two Fingers plus Three Fingers makes a human hand, and the hand is the main way we impose our will on the world. If you do the Frenzied Flame storyline you find out that basically the goal of the Frenzied Flame is to free up the energy the Greater Will invested in the world by restoring it to a primal state where it can be remade into a new world.

The fire incantations also talk about monks seeing fire within the light of the erdtree and being expelled for this insight, despite it being true insight.

The other reason I think there is a theme of fire and light duality is that the original form of the Erdtree was the 'Primal Crucible', and a crucible is literally a vessel for heating things up to transform them. As well as representing destruction, fire represents renewal. When a forest fire is over new plants grow from the ashes. Some ecosystems even rely on it. The process of becoming the new elden lord REQUIRES that you burn the tree, showing that rather than being antithetical to the world, fire is a natural part of it.

tl;dr: the erdtree rather than representing the natural order is actually defying it. the Greater WIll is both fire and light, not just light. death and renewal is a natural part of existence, and propping up a failing world system just leads to suffering and degredation of all people, both weak and powerful.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Well they aren't really her powers anymore than the frenzied flame cultists own their own. She essentially just kills herself to tag in an outer god whose price is the 2nd of 3 fingers on the monkey's paw curling up

look at this rules-lawyering hahaha in that case no one's powers are their own because they're only special because they get their powers through Marika aka the Greater Will.

This is only even a discussion because Malenia was being nice trying to fight Radahn like a regular person and not destroy everything from the start. If she'd gone in like "hahaha gently caress your poo poo" just throwing rot everywhere and blasting Radahn with it from the getgo, no one would be like "oh but you didnt beat radahn did you"

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Malenia is pretty cool because according to Haight, Godrick insulted her one time so she came down and kicked the poo poo out of him.

That makes her alright in my book. No clue how he still has his rune tho. Also when the shattering happened Godrick disguised himself as a woman to flee the capital. Otherwise Morgott probably would have whooped his rear end before anyone else got the chance, lol.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
The only real badass out of the Malenia vs Radahn slap fight was Finlay.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

RBA Starblade posted:

Also those enemies where it is are extremely annoying. I am hoping that my new best friend rock sling is going to help a lot when I get there in this run.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Phenotype posted:

look at this rules-lawyering hahaha in that case no one's powers are their own because they're only special because they get their powers through Marika aka the Greater Will.

This is only even a discussion because Malenia was being nice trying to fight Radahn like a regular person and not destroy everything from the start. If she'd gone in like "hahaha gently caress your poo poo" just throwing rot everywhere and blasting Radahn with it from the getgo, no one would be like "oh but you didnt beat radahn did you"

Hey now Radhan learned his magic the hard way and gained his prowess through battle. The gravity gods meddling in the world seem to have designs on it that never directly involved him. Like a Godfrey that never became Lord and just kept kicking rear end up and down the lands between

Anyway the point is that she didn't hold off on the nuke out of pride or whatever, it was because it exacts a terrible cost in exchange

RBA Starblade posted:

One of the really dumb things they went with that indicates a rushed end of the dev cycle is that every bell bearing should be unlocked by the Fire Giant. All of the last ones just dumped randomly into the last big zone is lazy, let me experiment! Also let them carry over!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

You would have ate it on godricks first big aoe but you had vigor !! Good job

Also it looks like at the end one of his dragon arm grabs got caught on the environment? Idk YouTube was pixelating

Thanks :shobon: I have been pumping Vigor my last dozen levels or so because of all the memes, and yeah that scaling gets pretty drat good in the 30s. I'm at 35 or 36 VIG and I think I'm clearing 40HP/level right now.

I didn't notice him getting caught, but I've fought him literally once so I may just not recognize his grapple windup getting interrupted.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

mirarant posted:

The only real badass out of the Malenia vs Radahn slap fight was Finlay.

He's the castle court dude right? Does he go anywhere after you talk to him after the fight?

boloney
May 29, 2021

I agree with most of this except for the very last part about fire being required - it seems to only be required if you seize the throne by force. Presumably Godfrey, for example, didn't have to do that as he was willingly taken as Marika's consort

As far as we know there have only been two Elden Lords before us so who the gently caress knows what the cycle actually entails

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Finlay is the Cleanrot knight ash that you can find in the Haligtree that dragged Malenia's unconscious body all the way from Caelid back to the Haligtree.

Anyway, I really like the spoiled theory posted above, but I will make one correction. Radagon's hair wasn't naturally red, it was cursed into being red by the Fire Giant as his last act of defiance. Radagon, presumably, originally had golden hair.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

boloney posted:

I agree with most of this except for the very last part about fire being required - it seems to only be required if you seize the throne by force. Presumably Godfrey, for example, didn't have to do that as he was willingly taken as Marika's consort

As far as we know there have only been two Elden Lords before us so who the gently caress knows what the cycle actually entails

Godfrey became elden lord when the erdtree was still the primal crucible, since the crucible knights are his boys. I think Radagon marked the split away from fire/light duality to moon/sun duality. The primal crucible was explosive expansion and domination, but once that was over it grew into the Erdtree. But the erdtree didn't want to make way for whatever was next, and here we are.

basically normally the sun would cause a wildfire that makes way for new growth, but in this case everything has gone wrong and the tarnished and melina have to become a poorly planned gender reveal party that kills everyone and sets fire to half of california.

edit: i should point out that my theory isnt complete or conclusive yet its just me trying to put together a bunch of facts i discovered. I still don't really understand what the Omen represent or where they come from.

There is also a major theme of colour coding of attacks, like in all From games. several are tied to outer powers:

Bloodflame - Formless Mother
Yellow Flame - Frenzied Flame
Scarlet Rot - unnamed scarlet rot outer power
Ghostfire - unnamed death outer power, referenced in the description of the twinbird shield. The Twinbird was the Marika of the Death Rite Birds, the earthly vessel of the outer power of Those Who Live in Death

But then you have:

Gold & Black fire - this is the golden fire associated with Omens, but it is also sometimes used by death-aligned stuff. The death lightning that fortisax uses is golden, the eclipse shotel fire is golden, the wraith summoning bell is golden, but so are all the omen and royal remnant (aka giant centipede nun) stuff. It is strange to me that 'death' stuff would have two colours and share one with omens.

perhaps the golden fire just represents osmething 'unnatural' which is why it is employed by the most hosed up mutants and examples of Those Who Live In Death

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 29, 2022

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I don't think the Frenzied Flame is a different Outer Power, i think it's the second half of the Greater Will. Two Fingers plus Three Fingers makes a human hand, and the hand is the main way we impose our will on the world. If you do the Frenzied Flame storyline you find out that basically the goal of the Frenzied Flame is to free up the energy the Greater Will invested in the world by restoring it to a primal state where it can be remade into a new world.

The three fingers and their followers are set out in opposition to a new world (backed by melina's plea of a chance for new lives to continue if you don't take the flame). They see existence as discrete entities being a mistake that results in pain and suffering the likes of which gives rise to people who'd rather have never existed to being with

Otherwise seems like a solid theory. Also I think there's probably something to the 2+3 fingers because the cinqueda is modeled after a five fingered hand which the beastman revere as a sign of intelligence/sentience

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Originally the erdtree had a rope swing that everyone liked to swing on, but then one of the ropes got frayed and broke, nobody could swing any more and that's how things got to how they are.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Phenotype posted:

Malenia tried to beat Radahn in a straight fight - and she lost that straight fight. (And it was a decisive loss, considering her unconscious body was dragged home without getting her hands on the rune she came for - she didn’t just shrug, go super saiyan, and win easily when she stopped holding back)

Now, it’s true that her poison rot blood or whatever did a number on Caelid in the aftermath, but for her to claim she “has never know defeat” is clearly a very selective recollection of events.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Scruffpuff posted:

Originally the erdtree had a rope swing that everyone liked to swing on, but then one of the ropes got frayed and broke, nobody could swing any more and that's how things got to how they are.

Elden Ring prequel Elden Rope confirmed

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

euphronius posted:

What if this was Winds of Winter ??

Goldmask is hard at work writing that right now

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snake Maze posted:

Malenia tried to beat Radahn in a straight fight - and she lost that straight fight. (And it was a decisive loss, considering her unconscious body was dragged home without getting her hands on the rune she came for - she didn’t just shrug, go super saiyan, and win easily when she stopped holding back)

Now, it’s true that her poison rot blood or whatever did a number on Caelid in the aftermath, but for her to claim she “has never know defeat” is clearly a very selective recollection of events.

Getting knocked out can cause memory loss. Maybe she just forgot.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i have some theories about the overarching plot of the game so theres spoilers here:

as far as i can tell the erdtree is just a kind of cosmic parasite, grown from a star beast (like astiel and others) who had a connection to the Greater Will, one of the outer gods. I think that because the elden beast uses both holy magic (which is the Greater Will element basically) and nebula magic like the other star beasts. Several incantations also mention the Erdtree being universally hated and warred with when it first arrived, until it became dominant.

early on it's super vital and gives people extended life and health and freedom from death and injury, but over time decreases in magnitude until its basically just keeping people alive as awful undying husks.

this is kind of an aside but from what i can glean, the main way to actually 'die' in the lands between was Erdtree Burial in the root catacombs, which was seen as a reward for heroes. Godwyn's half-death seems to have hosed this up, because from him deathroot has spread through the erdtree roots and filled all the root catacombs where people should be able to go to 'die' are now infested with Those Who Live In Death.

the tree starts to realise its days are numbered when its vassal, Marika/Radagon, gives birth to Empyreans. Empyreans just seem to be people who have the potential to become full gods like Marika/Radagon, implying that the Greater WIll intends to replace Marika and the Erdtree entirely. The empyreans are:

- Malenia (the strongest, but born corrupted by the Scarlet Rot, a rival Outer Power to the Greater Will)
- Miquella (born stunted, also came to reject Radagon/Marika's interpretation of the Golden Order because it couldn't
- Ranni (the only one without an M name because publically she was the daughter of Rennala and Radagon, not related to Marika at all)
- Melina (hinted at but not confirmed anywhere)

Ranni rejects the Greater Will as oppressive and starts working to kill her own Two Fingers and eventually remove the Greater Will from the planet entirely, so she becomes a problem for the Erdtree.

Malenia is the embodiment of a rival Outer Power, the Scarlet Rot. She keeps blooming in intense situations, and on the third blooming will become a true godess, with a Scarlet Bloom to replace the Erdtree. This actually happens during her boss fight, but the tarnished ends up aborting it. So she's a problem.

Miquella is stuck in a perpetual child state, and the failure of the Golden Order to fix that drives him to seek out his own way, distancing him from the Greater Will orthodoxy and making him more of a threat to Marika. his half-formed nature also means his Godhood could manifest in multiple ways, but more on that in a little bit.

One thing that is noteworthy is that there is the theme of Moon/Stars and Sun duality. Rennala and Radagon's marriage was the union of the sun and moon. The elden beast uses both holy (sun) and nebula (moon) powers. Miquella's gimmick being 'unalloyed gold' isn't a coincidence I don't think. I think Miquella intended to reject the moon element entirely. Loretta's sickle weapon mentions that the glintstone (moon/stars) it once had has been torn out and replaced with amber, which was done when she left the Carians to join Miquella. The golden order, ie the current balance of sun and moon, is explicitly 'alloyed gold' because of that union.

Unalloyed Gold is also a threat to basically every interested party also because it blocks the influence of the Outer Powers. the Unalloyed Gold Needle is used to save Millicent from the scarlet rot, was intended to be used to save Malenia, and can be used by the player to free themself from the Frenzied Flame.

Miquella also started to grow the Haligtree, a rival and intended replacement for the Erdtree, which provoked Marika to act.

She subverts Ranni's plan to kill her Two Fingers to instead do the Night of the Black Knives and take out Godwyn and Ranni together, then (idk how long later) shatters the Elden Ring, casting everything into this awful stalemate.

Radahn fights Malenia to a standstill and prevents her third blooming, cutting short the threat of her godhood. his mindless holding back of the stars also prevents access to Nokron, where Ranni's fingerslayer blade is kept, so even with her soul kicking around Ranni can't move forward with her plans.

Mohg, an omen-cursed non-empyrean royal child, who was touched by the Formless Mother (another Outer Power) uses the distraction to steal the defenseless Miquella. His plan is to feed Miquella a ton of cessblood to make him turn into a vassal for the Formless Mother. This fucks over the Haligtree, which gets warped and deformed by Malenia's rot in Miquella's absence. It is noteworthy that Miquella is not dead even at the end of the game, you never get his greatrune and Gideon tells you that he is still slumbering in the cocoon Mohg made for him.

So anyway, Marika has hosed over the Greater Will's plans for her succession and bought the Erdtree some time, and trapped the realm in a state of endless degradation without death. She didn't necessarily bank on the Greater WIll imprisoning her inside the Erdtree as punishment.

I think Melina is her backup plan for that scenario. She's bodiless and invisible and can only get places if she makes a pact with a Tarnished. the tarnished are also Marika's backup plan, but that's made open from the start. The demigods have failed, the Tarnished need to finish the job.

I think Melina is also part of a second, secret duality, within the sun itself: the division of light and flame. The Erdtree, the two fingers, holy magic, they all represent light. Two Fingers miracles are all light based, the Cipher weapons the two fingers make are words of light.

Fire is represented as antithetical to both the Erdtree and Order in general, but there are hints all over that it is an inescapable part of the Greater Will. Radagon has the red hair of a fire giant, and was said to despise it. This is a metaphor for how the Erdtree despises fire, despite fire being a part of the Greater Will's nature.

The fire incantations also talk about monks seeing fire within the light of the erdtree and being expelled for this insight, despite it being true insight.

The other reason I think there is a theme of fire and light duality is that the original form of the Erdtree was the 'Primal Crucible', and a crucible is literally a vessel for heating things up to transform them. As well as representing destruction, fire represents renewal. When a forest fire is over new plants grow from the ashes. Some ecosystems even rely on it. The process of becoming the new elden lord REQUIRES that you burn the tree, showing that rather than being antithetical to the world, fire is a natural part of it.

tl;dr: the erdtree rather than representing the natural order is actually defying it. the Greater WIll is both fire and light, not just light. death and renewal is a natural part of existence, and propping up a failing world system just leads to suffering and degredation of all people, both weak and powerful.

This is all really good and makes a ton of sense.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Malenia is a dex build, shameful. This is why she was cursed. Radhan studied the blade and only lowered himself into the ill-lit dens of the nerds and weirdos to protect his beloved horse friend. Fate was always to favor him, he shall be returned in full joy and power, an army there to celebrate the event. As consort to the moon I will ensure this.

I am in possession of the Lathe of Heaven (when my wife is out of town) and this is my promise to you all. From I hope you're taking notes for the DLC

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

This means you don't like Sleeping Dogs, and that therefore, your opinion on games is worthless. You can go straight to prison, and you don't get to collect a pork bun on the way.

i wanted to like this game so much. sounded kind of like "hey what if GTA wasn't just a lovely game for garbage people" but some early tailing mission or escort at the docks had me have to go through this long cutscene and preamble and it kept failing for some inane thing i didn't have much control over. wish i could remember it more clearly considering i ran into same problem across 3 attempts, two different hardwares. seems like nobody much mentions it anymore, leaving me to think it was more "good for its time" rather than something im missing out on by this point. Now if I were to try and revisit I'd just swerve into one of the Yakuzases

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

radahn is just a weirdo horse girl boy

fight me

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

*Horse person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Wellwinds posted:

The three fingers and their followers are set out in opposition to a new world (backed by melina's plea of a chance for new lives to continue if you don't take the flame). They see existence as discrete entities being a mistake that results in pain and suffering the likes of which gives rise to people who'd rather have never existed to being with

Otherwise seems like a solid theory. Also I think there's probably something to the 2+3 fingers because the cinqueda is modeled after a five fingered hand which the beastman revere as a sign of intelligence/sentience

the motivation of flame cultists is like you said, but i think that is effectively just the greater will forcing compliance with the entire world being liquidated. its a lot easier to melt poo poo down and start again if the same flame that burns them makes them want to be burned.

hyetta lays out the words of the three fingers after you accept the frenzied flame, but its easy to miss dialogue and you cant get it again after you hear it because she vanishes, so my memory is not top notch. I know she talks about the Greater Will wanting to free up the energy it invested in the world and erdtree.