Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

kazil posted:

for dudes wearing literal skins, I'm going to assume it's God Skin

it might be meant to be ambiguous. Wonder what they're called in Japanese!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

(Re?)posting this as a PSA:

The above image demonstrates why the buckler parry is better than nearly everything else. From personal experience I'd say golden parry is just as good as buckler parry but has longer range. Downside is it costs fp. Haven't tried carian retaliation yet, waiting for it to be fixed. Parry dagger is very bad. Image is from "Seboy666" on r*ddit.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Fun gimmick in the Auriza Side Tomb. Took me a while to figure it out and then a lot of trial and error, but satisfying once it was done.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Wellwinds posted:

A bit back but this was supposed to be gelmir heroes grave right? Because there was a straightforward path to the boss that didn't have any riding. I crossed the lava with quickstep but that was a dead end with a neat weapon.

The chariot isn't mandatory
If you crossed the lava where the big finger was waiting, you missed a shortcut. A narrow drop to the side of the lava takes you directly to the boss room, above where riding the chariot takes you.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm trying not to respec every time I have new ideas so I've been looking at what Str builds can do with weapons. Turns out there's a lot. Gargoyle Twinblades are a Str A Heavy scaling twinblade that gets Str B with Bleed Affinity and unlike the Dex based Twinblades it gets to benefit from 1.5x Strength when you two hand it. Slap Giant Hunt on it and you get GS poise damage from your weapon art and chump clearing/rapid bleed application from Bleed Affinity on a Twinblade with the only drawback being less range cause it's shorter.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the motivation of flame cultists is like you said, but i think that is effectively just the greater will forcing compliance with the entire world being liquidated. its a lot easier to melt poo poo down and start again if the same flame that burns them makes them want to be burned.

hyetta lays out the words of the three fingers after you accept the frenzied flame, but its easy to miss dialogue and you cant get it again after you hear it because she vanishes, so my memory is not top notch. I know she talks about the Greater Will wanting to free up the energy it invested in the world and erdtree.

quote:

Thank... thank you... I have touched them. The words of the Three Fingers. As your maiden, allow me to divine them. All that there is came from the One Great. Then came fractures, and births, and souls. But the Greater Will made a mistake. Torment, despair, affliction... every sin, every curse. Every one, born of the mistake. And so, what was borrowed must be returned. Melt it all away, with the yellow chaos flame. Until all is One again.

Those who gave me grapes howled without words. Saying they wished they were never born. Become their lord. Take their torment, despair. Their affliction. Every sin, every curse. And melt it all away. As the Lord of Chaos. No more fractures...no more birth...

Depends on whether you read the "mistake" as an otherwise unexplained phenomenon to be corrected or as the "fractures/births/souls". The latter's a lot more in line with melina's severe opposition to accepting the frenzied flame.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

there is also a strong theme of alchemy in the game but i have not formulated a proper theory of it yet.

alchemical texts were presented in the form of allegory, partially to keep the alchemists secrets away from the laymen, but partially because people werent' great at reading so information was often presented in allegorical ways. you can see this in everything from everything as serious and down to earth as combat manuals to bullshitty stuff like alchemy.

a major concept in alchemy is duality and the fusion of opposing things to form a greater whole, and the allegory for that was the Red King and the White Queen:

this could be art from the game but is in fact half a millenium old.

theres also this:

quote:

The filius philosophorum (Latin for "the philosophers' child", i.e. made by the true students of philosophy) is a symbol in alchemy. In some texts it is equated with the philosopher's stone (lapis philosophorum), but in others it assumes its own symbolic meanings. Other terms for the filius philosophorum include filius sapientiae ("child of wisdom"), infans noster ("our child"), infans solaris ("sun child"), infans lunaris ("moon child"), and infans solaris lunaris ("sun moon child").

There are several images that have been used to represent the filius philosophorum. Among these are the transformed hermaphroditic Hermes, the child of the Red King and the White Queen (the Sun and Moon), the child of the egg, and the three-fathered Orion.

i dont think it takes a lot to see who is who. The three fathered Orion is Ranni. her name even sounds like orion kind of, she is the child of radagon/marika + rennala, three individuals, and orion is known mostly as a constellation now. She is the infans solaris lunaris (sun moon child).

The transformed hermaphroditic hermes is Miquella. Miquella is hinted at being St Trina, the childlike saint of ambiguous gender, and there are apparently cut files that confirm this.

the child of the egg i don't know. it could be the transformed miquella post-mohg egg.

there is also a theme of colour coding in alchemy that conforms to the stages of the philosophers stone, which all embody several concepts both physical and metaphysical

nigredo - albedo - citrinas - rubedo
black - white - yellow - red
decomposition - calcination - fermentation - projection (ie creation of the philosophers stone)
reduction to chaos - purification - dawning of solar light - perfection of the both the material and the self
raven - dove - ??? - phoenix

of note is that the final product of alchemy is supposed to be both healing and unalloyed gold - both miquellas aims. but the philosophers stone is also represented by a lot of other stuff, from blood to roses to birds and all sorts of stuff. stuff you find in the game that appears as potential other answers to the current stalemate.

idk like im thinking of this poo poo while im posting. theres also a jungian archetypes thing corresponding to the stages of the great work too, which i dont know as much about but seems relevant.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I can't wait for Vaati Vidya to make his lore video and decide what the lore actually is for everyone here on out :shepface:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Pour out a flask charge for me. 105 hours in, killed FG, just killed Mohg, and now I must disassemble my PC to RMA my video card. I dont care to think about how long it will be until I get the replacement.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Nuebot posted:

I can't wait for Vaati Vidya to make his lore video and decide what the lore actually is for everyone here on out :shepface:

this but hawkshaw

e:

codo27 posted:

Pour out a flask charge for me. 105 hours in, killed FG, just killed Mohg, and now I must disassemble my PC to RMA my video card. I dont care to think about how long it will be until I get the replacement.
rip and godspeed

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

On my third playthrough now.

Really, really wish there were no-FP basic spells from each school. Just some dinky stuff to mess around with.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i have been playing souls games since i imported the asian release of demons souls and i have never once watched a dark souls lore youtube video. people outside here seem to have some really stupid theories though

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Harrow posted:

Polygon had a pretty good video on Margit's design and why he's so hard even for experienced Souls players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9MQe7tR5xQ

One major thing about him, beyond how specifically he counters trying to roll away from him, is that his combos aren't set. He can extend his combos, or end them early, or branch into a different move. He has two moves with the exact same wind-up and will use different versions of it based on how close you are to him. He's the model for most of the rest of the game's tough bosses and it's pretty interesting.
The payoff to Margit kicking your rear end is when you run into Morgott and go "oh gently caress, this guy again" and then discover he isn't nearly as hard because you've spent like 50 hours dealing with all the same bullshit.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Incoherence posted:

The payoff to Margit kicking your rear end is when you run into Morgott and go "oh gently caress, this guy again" and then discover he isn't nearly as hard because you've spent like 50 hours dealing with all the same bullshit.

yeah but then he whips out some sick nasty flips and cartwheels on you

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

yeah but then he whips out some sick nasty flips and cartwheels on you

Carthweels on my mimic :smugdog:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I think Margit is mostly hard because the game lies to you and tells you to go fight him first thing. The more natural difficulty progression is to do all of Limgrave and the Weeping Peninsula first, and if you do that then Margit's nothing too special (his combos are still hard to dodge but they don't kill you in 2 hits and you have a +4 flask).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Anyone having coop issues? I'm getting phantoms and white signs but no one is picking me up at RL 145 around Malenia and Godfrey which is impossible right now.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Finally hit credits today. I didn't have a problem with the final boss stuff, but this is also coming into it after having solo'd Malenia so... yeah. I didn't have a problem with (final boss spoilers) the Elden Beast running away thanks to liberal use of Bloodhound Step. If anything it felt kinda easy and a little bit sad that they would make the last boss of the game one of the fullscreen enemies whose body and animations you can barely see. I guess when you've already made the badass duel boss fight as your optional superboss the final battle has to stand out compared to it but still.

Great game, looking forward to replaying it to try out different builds or for pvp.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Triarii posted:

I think Margit is mostly hard because the game lies to you and tells you to go fight him first thing. The more natural difficulty progression is to do all of Limgrave and the Weeping Peninsula first, and if you do that then Margit's nothing too special (his combos are still hard to dodge but they don't kill you in 2 hits and you have a +4 flask).
He's still a pretty hard boss at that point, but yeah, the game leads you to him way earlier than you're supposed to fight him, and the initial lesson is "leave and do something else". For that matter, if you manage to find the Liurnia shortcut, you don't have to fight him for even longer (or at all: as far as I know the first hard required boss is Shade Godfrey).

I may be the only person who didn't really like Mimic Tear, because I didn't actually find it until after the patch; my boy Omenkiller Rollo felt like he was tanky enough and actually capable of doing damage.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Incoherence posted:

He's still a pretty hard boss at that point, but yeah, the game leads you to him way earlier than you're supposed to fight him, and the initial lesson is "leave and do something else". For that matter, if you manage to find the Liurnia shortcut, you don't have to fight him for even longer (or at all: as far as I know the first hard required boss is Shade Godfrey).

I may be the only person who didn't really like Mimic Tear, because I didn't actually find it until after the patch; my boy Omenkiller Rollo felt like he was tanky enough and actually capable of doing damage.

Well if you don't get the stormveil rune then you'll have to get Radahn's, Rykert's, or Mohgs to get into Leyndell. And all of those are gonna be much harder than Margit by the time you're at the level to fight them

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I haven't liked mimic tear because my clone is almost as stupid and bad as the real me.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Incoherence posted:

i got clowned by morgott on my twinblade character, it seems really hard to find any openings to attack him that don't just result in trading hits. i can roll forward into his spear charge, back away from the dual wielding spin and then roll into the jump attack at the end, and both of those let me get off a free r1. that's...pretty much it. took me an evening to get him down and i didn't actually feel like i knew the fight at the end, he just happened to use a lot of the spear charges and let me bleed him a few times in quick succession.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Rollo is insanely good, I preferred him to mimic for most stuff in my first playthrough

Marionette Soldier ashes might be the funniest in the game, coating the boss + entire arena in arrows never gets old

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I beat Margott with Melina summon and pre-nerf Hoarfrost Stomp without him getting a single hit on me.

In retrospect, man Hoarfrost Stomp really was op af. Just a stagger machine.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BitBasher posted:

My problem with him is mainly timing. He has a couple moves where I find the dodge timing incredibly awkward. Like he does a huge jump attack but it's incredibly floaty and then he holds it for a second after landing then hits the attack.
For that move specifically, try reacting to his cloak billowing outwards a bit right before he drops.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Divine Tower of Caelid. gently caress you for scaring my brain for life with that climb.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
gently caress.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Philthy posted:

Divine Tower of Caelid. gently caress you for scaring my brain for life with that climb.

lol. I made that climb at RL 30 and as soon as I made it to the top and those two soldiers took zero loving damage from me, I nope'd right the gently caress out. :v:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

just put on an incredible display of player skill against the triple crystalians by spamming flame of the redmanes repeatedly and critting them until they all died

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Guys, I'm not sure if my hood is big enough

Also, ending spoilers!!!
Hi, my name is Jim. Welcome to Hell.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Philthy posted:

A highlight of the game was summoning Torrent because I wasn't sure if I could make a jump, carefully pulling off the jump, dismounting Torrent to fight one of the soldiers, and simply sliding backwards into open air, full blown Wile E. Coyote standing on nothingness as the vanishing Torrent animation finishes, then plunging a thousand feet down.

Absolutely perfect.

Another favorite was rolling in to fight the ulcerated tree sentinel at the very end of Millicent quest, beating it, teleporting back to the grace, returning to fight the 4 sisters, winning, falling off the branch to go to the next grace, respawning, crossing the poo waterfall to pick up my 700,000 or whatever runes, getting out onto the tree branch, lining up my drop carefully, and then slipping left, bouncing off the lower branch, and plunging into the void, losing all my runes.

God I love platforming in FROM games.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Triarii posted:

I do think this is on purpose, in that Varre is a dick and is actively trying to get you killed. Isn't that his thing, from what I've done so far? He's one of Mohg's crew, so he actually wants the Tarnished to fail at repairing the Elden Ring so Mohg can do his whole weird blood thing instead. So he's like "yeah, Tarnished, go throw yourself at Margit just like the grace says, you dumb little fucker."

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
oh that's interesting. Morgot has not only sealed the elevator to the forbidden lands but also the areas after minimohg

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
guess I'm going to Nokron instead!

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Inzombiac posted:

Also, ending spoilers!!!

Nice flaming rear end in a top hat for a head

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Phenotype posted:

I do think this is on purpose, in that Varre is a dick and is actively trying to get you killed. Isn't that his thing, from what I've done so far? He's one of Mohg's crew, so he actually wants the Tarnished to fail at repairing the Elden Ring so Mohg can do his whole weird blood thing instead. So he's like "yeah, Tarnished, go throw yourself at Margit just like the grace says, you dumb little fucker."

Eh, I don’t know. The grace really does point to stormveil, and the out-of-universe tutorial popups also tell you that grace points the way to your next objective. If there’s miscommunication I think it’s an unintentional one, since it seems like the grace lines are really just pointing to “your objective in the region” and not “what you should do next”

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Yates posted:

Nice flaming rear end in a top hat for a head

Try monitor

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Btw I haven't thought about it, is there a cooldown that has to happen before bleed can trigger again or does it build again immediately?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Inzombiac posted:

Guys, I'm not sure if my hood is big enough

Also, ending spoilers!!!

i wish that hood didn't reduce max hp so I could just wear it all the time on all builds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Phenotype posted:

you killing other tarnished is collecting blood for the blood god