Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i appreciate that label because it tells me that i will not like this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Progression is good and all, but I think it's a pretty fine balance. I feel like a lot of indie titles use the "roguelike-style metaprogression" poorly and the end result is basically the first half of a game is complete slog until you start getting the progression going.

Bro I have thousands of games, if it takes me that long to get to the good parts I'll play something else.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

rogue
roguelike
roguelike-style
roguelike-style-adjacent
roguelike-style-adjacent-esque
roguelike-style-adjacent-esque-mentarianism

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Post-Rogue, Third Wave Rogue, Roguecore

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Impermanent posted:

I know this battle has been lost and language is malleable but the phrase "roguelike-style metaprogression" is maybe the worst phrase I've read online

thank you, i was getting seriously worried i'd missed a tide change somehow

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

not that roguelite is any better really so gently caress it all to hell anyway

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

repiv posted:

ultrakills campaign isn't in any way procedurally generated

there's an endless mode that is, but that's a side thing
ah poo poo. ok

it just kinda felt like it was when i played the demo, but that was a year ago and it's obviously still in development

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm a fan of permanent progression and upgrades, or nogue-like-style as i call it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

director's cut of death stranding launches tomorrow (maybe tonight?). should be $10 for people who own the base version

looking forward to yeeting more packages at people's skulls

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

couldn't exactly tell if it was posted about after it came out, but NORCO recently released on the 24th and if the idea of a southern gothic point and click adventure with lush pixel art and ambience set in the relatively near future of louisiana's southern coast sounds cool to you then i can highly recommend it. has some fun extra elements to it, little minigames to break things up here and there so it's not entirely just clicking on items and talking to people. occasional bits of combat if you want to get into that, although it's not really a focus in any way.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1221250/NORCO/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXW3bQKmn0k

i feel like it's kind of rare to see weird little passion projects like this become notable these days so i'm more than happy to sell people on it given that it's currently 12 bucks for the next couple of days and also offers a demo of the first act of the game if you want to get a feel for it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
oppa

Hwurmp posted:

roguelike-style

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
rogue souls vania

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Sakuna of Rice and Ruin

A really intricate rice growing simulator they built a 2d action arcade game around. Not a lot else to be said.

The rice growing is both insanely in depth and wildly hard to figure out. There's so much going on and so many invisible counters/effects/conditions that when you get the rice report at the end of the harvest there's a couple dozen things to look at and try to figure where you went wrong (or right). There's a few major things you can control, like water level, using fertilizer, and making sure to 100% any of the related mini-games, and then the rest where you can get really specific for the type of rice you are growing and how you want your stats to raise.

page 1 of 5

For the most part, there's a few basic things you can follow and always get a 'good' harvest. Like many of these jrpg 2d games, there's hundreds of items to find, dozens of effects to grind up, stat boosts to find etc. to the point where it might seem overwhelming until you realize that like 80% of it doesn't matter unless you're trying to max everything out and hit level 99 with perfect stats.

The combat system is pretty fun if simple. You have strong/weak attacks, special attacks, and special 'grabs' that work as debuffs. Everything comes back to the rice as you need to eat every day to gain stat boosts plus your healing regen (super easy once you have a good rice crop) and some special areas where you want poison/fire resistance from your meal. Your hunger counts down like your timer and when it hits 0 the bonuses end. Combat is then more about speed and damage then any defense because of said timer. The game is super generous with death, as it just restarts you at the level entrance with the same buffs/time you had when you started.

The rice system in general in how it relates to gameplay is a little shortsighted. You can pick between large harvests and lower stat gain, or low harvest and higher stat gain. Brown rice gives much better temporary stat bonuses while white rice gives better permanent ones. As you can imagine, going hard for max stat gain means you're going to quickly trivialize the game. The balance overall seems geared to a mix of the two, as I often ended up taking 1 damage from enemies (chip damage basically) while not being able to put out enough damage myself until I upgraded my weapon or got a big strength boost.

The pacing of the rice system also is skewed to what the developers expected players to do. The game seems to thing it'll take you 15 harvests to beat the game, I did it in 12, and by that 12th harvest is when you unlock the 3rd rank rice polishing upgrade. Same for a lot of the rice scrolls, it's slowly doled out every few harvests so the information, if you were honestly tracking and serious about making the perfect rice, takes 2/3rds of the game to get revealed to you.

The itemization is nuts and excessive. There's probably 200+ items at least, and as many different recipes and combinations of foodstuffs to make. It's the typical level A normal then level A extreme where the types of item drops changes and you're going to have to replay over and over again to grind out what you need. It's not nearly as bad as some games, but if you do love to see the number go up it's going to be a lot of tedious busywork. It seems a bit aware and to its credit you get the strongest weapons as part of a story upgrade, not gated behind several dozen high rarity items. Speaking of, gathering is maybe tied to the seasons, I never made the connection beyond knowing you can only harvest ice during the winter.

I engaged with the rice growing seriously for a few hours before lowering it to easy. It's just so hard to figure out and there's so much information thrown at you at the end, like an actual report of numbers, %, change, effects, conditions without any context or clue what effect they have that I ended up default to a simple "add fertilizer, water level 20%, then drain, 30%, then drain" and little else. That worked well enough to see me through the entire game with little to no grinding given I focused exclusively on the best possible stat gain combination.

Strongly a niche game, but if you ever dreamed of being a rural rice farmer who kills demons in order to better fertilize your fields this might just be a must buy.

You can also pet and carry around your legion of dogs/cats you collect in your village

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

'Roguelite' is at least a better name for a certain kind of game than 'Procedural Death Labyrinth' which was the other term that was floating around

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

'Roguelite' is at least a better name for a certain kind of game than 'Procedural Death Labyrinth' which was the other term that was floating around

Oh man, that is a great name.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

sorry but every genre name should be like the latter

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

"Procedural Death Labyrinth" is the name of my nerdcore death metal band.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ciaphas posted:

director's cut of death stranding launches tomorrow (maybe tonight?). should be $10 for people who own the base version

Damnit I'm going to get this..

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

explosivo posted:

Damnit I'm going to get this..

I want it to be out NOW

t:mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

cargo-kata is life

https://i.imgur.com/JcCDF5o.mp4

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

cargo-kata

shippuden

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

shippuden

oh my god

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

shippuden

I'm impressed no one's made this joke yet

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

excuse you

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just "beat" Tunic. Game was actually pretty cool and fun for 80% of it. The last 20% was a chore, and then I looked up how to get the "true" ending.

Even given all the clues, and even interpreting all of them (which is extremely iffy and requires some knowledge of shorthand), and HOW you interpret them, and then putting them all together to be done in a certain place that you can get wrong by being too far from where the game thinks you'll be to do a massive rote sequence that gives you no feedback while you're entering it and doesn't tell you what goes wrong if you make any mistake.

This game can eat my poo poo. Glad I didn't buy it on steam.

Even looking up the final solution I gave up because I'll be damned if I'm gonna jump through those hoops.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ciaphas posted:

Oh nice, thanks for the reminder -- haven't played since PS4 launch but I repurchased on PC when it was on a deep sale last month in anticipation of the director's cut. Really excited to play through this again, it's been the perfect amount of time and I also heard it's a real looker on PC

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I just "beat" Tunic. Game was actually pretty cool and fun for 80% of it. The last 20% was a chore, and then I looked up how to get the "true" ending.

Even given all the clues, and even interpreting all of them (which is extremely iffy and requires some knowledge of shorthand), and HOW you interpret them, and then putting them all together to be done in a certain place that you can get wrong by being too far from where the game thinks you'll be to do a massive rote sequence that gives you no feedback while you're entering it and doesn't tell you what goes wrong if you make any mistake.

Even looking up the final solution I gave up because I'll be damned if I'm gonna jump through those hoops.

Huh, someone said Tunic was like La Mulana if La Mulana didn't hate you, but now it sounds more like just normal La Mulana.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It sounds like you took the time to translate the runic language. You didn't actually need to do that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

Huh, someone said Tunic was like La Mulana if La Mulana didn't hate you, but now it sounds more like just normal La Mulana.

eh, I think in terms of "okay how the gently caress" it's like 0.1 las mulana at most

in fact i'm honestly not sure what exactly most of ninjoatse.cx's specific complaints refer to. specifically the "being too far" and "knowledge of shorthand" bits; i'd love to read an explanation so I have some context

one criticism i'll agree with is that the very final step of proving you understand the puzzle is lengthy and the only feedback is whether it worked or not, which i can see being frustrating (I didn't find it so - had to look up one piece because of a GamePass-specific bug, though. real odd one, that)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 30, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

also very much unlike la mulana and its sequel, tunic isn't out to loving murder you; in fact i can't actually remember a single trap. can't even fall off ledges

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ciaphas posted:

also very much unlike la mulana and its sequel, tunic isn't out to loving murder you; in fact i can't actually remember a single trap. can't even fall off ledges

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

:v:

if it helps any, the bosses can be a right fucker and a half (for some folks, not so much - seems to vary widely). here's an example of me beefing it on a mid-game boss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRjvql36Uxg

i love this game's entire aesthetic. real good music too

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ciaphas posted:

eh, I think in terms of "okay how the gently caress" it's like 0.1 las mulana at most

in fact i'm honestly not sure what exactly most of ninjoatse.cx's specific complaints refer to. specifically the "being too far" and "knowledge of shorthand" bits; i'd love to read an explanation so I have some context

Yeah I thought the final big puzzle was very fair. I was delighted when it clicked what I was supposed to figure out, and didn't really hit any snags after that point. It doesn't exactly hold your hand but it still pretty generously pushes you in the right direction, certainly far more than La-Mulana

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Hwurmp posted:

rogue
roguelike
roguelike-style
roguelike-style-adjacent
roguelike-style-adjacent-esque
roguelike-style-adjacent-esque-mentarianism

Soulsish

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

StarkRavingMad posted:

Nah no comparison there, Lu Mulana was actively hostile. Tunic has a bit of puzzle solving to get the 'good' ending, and I like to compare it to Fez a bit as the puzzles really are of the similar vibe. Hard but fair?

Tunic is getting some sour grapes since people went into it expecting Zelda and didn't want a brain teaser for the final boss. Which is quite fair tbqh, it was a bit of a whiplash for me too.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
All I'm hearing from this is that Tunic is a Zelda game that has an actual loving puzzle in it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Look up how you open the mountain door and how you go about getting the code for the mountain door. Even after you get the pages from the manual, interpreting them to get a sequence is insane. And the infal sequence is massive. And if you're not standing in the right spot, it's ignored

I get the true ending is "extra", but that is some BS.

Ciaphas posted:

:v:

if it helps any, the bosses can be a right fucker and a half (for some folks, not so much - seems to vary widely). here's an example of me beefing it on a mid-game boss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRjvql36Uxg

i love this game's entire aesthetic. real good music too

The bosses were fun. The ones that were rage inducing were trivialized by using a different strategy. Only one of them I needed items for.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I can't wait. It's gonna be a great excuse to play through the game game again on hardest dofficulty.

It's such an amazing game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Look up how you open the mountain door and how you go about getting the code for the mountain door. Even after you get the pages from the manual, interpreting them to get a sequence is insane. And the infal sequence is massive. And if you're not standing in the right spot, it's ignored

I get the true ending is "extra", but that is some BS.

oh, i did all that. honestly thought you must have been talking about something else, 'cause, i guess i disagree!

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Look up how you open the mountain door and how you go about getting the code for the mountain door.
I really cannot disagree harder about this--once I realized how that puzzle worked, I had a goofy-rear end grin on my face the entire time I was piecing the solution together because of how cleverly they handled the hints. I'll grant you that actually executing the solution is a bit of a pain, but for a secret ending I'm honestly pretty okay with it.