Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Celexi posted:

Lmao at the latest sony announcement , I was right getting a series x and keeping the ps5 for exclusive garbage.

Give us the deets op I love a good sonylol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

styls trill epic posted:

Give us the deets op I love a good sonylol

their new game pass competitor you lose one game from current ps plus and now apparently you need ps plus to download update when console is asleep the premium actually has less games than psnow currently for ps4/ps5.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Celexi posted:

their new game pass competitor you lose one game from current ps plus and now apparently you need ps plus to download update when console is asleep the premium actually has less games than psnow currently for ps4/ps5.

I dont know all the bad tiers of the bad system wondering how you can break it down for me some more op

So how much per month are you looking at spending for no games?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They won't release the list of games because they're scared of getting laughed at.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

American McGay posted:

They won't release the list of games because they're scared of getting laughed at.

and it sounds like theres also some funny technical limitation like the PS5 has to be asleep or turned off or something????? Boy it feels good to have an Xbox series X

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

they will have at least two of the 45 PS1 games where you blow things up in a helicopter

G-Police Reboot when?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I have a bunch of old PS1 rpgs purchased on my ps3. Does that service let me play them? From what I understand I couldn’t transfer them over to ps4/5.

I’m so old and tired. Modern gaming is so confusing.

Whatever. I just hope Walmart ships my series x.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

sponges posted:

I have a bunch of old PS1 rpgs purchased on my ps3. Does that service let me play them?

I don't think Sony has said either way but I would guess not, unfortunately.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Maybe Sony should let people put in a PS1 disc into a PS5 that works like a license check and lets you download a digital BC copy that you can play. Haha, that would be crazy. What corporation would ever allow people to do such a thing???

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

Maybe Sony should let people put in a PS1 disc into a PS5 that works like a license check and lets you download a digital BC copy that you can play. Haha, that would be crazy. What corporation would ever allow people to do such a thing???

I don't think the PlayStation 4 or 5 disk drives are capable of reading CDs, so this wouldn't work for PS1 or several PS2 games.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Zerot posted:

I don't think the PlayStation 4 or 5 disk drives are capable of reading CDs, so this wouldn't work for PS1 or several PS2 games.

Huh, I didn't realize there were any PS2 games on CDs. That's wild, especially given the PS2's reputation as being a modestly priced DVD player compared to the standalone DVD players at the time.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
lmao how do you have an optical drive that won't read CDs? i didn't even think that was possible. it reads DVDs but not CDs?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

barnold posted:

lmao how do you have an optical drive that won't read CDs? i didn't even think that was possible. it reads DVDs but not CDs?

Yes. They're all different lasers and codecs, so the playstation 5 can't read CDs (I dont think the xbox can either, honestly).

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

Yes. They're all different lasers and codecs, so the playstation 5 can't read CDs (I dont think the xbox can either, honestly).

The PS5 can't read games. There aren't any LOL

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Barudak posted:

The Xbox Series X can play music CDs.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Professor Beetus posted:

They would have to have digital versions of PS1 games, which outside of like the dozen or so they started converting and then gave up on don't exist.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Barudak posted:

I just paused Elden Ring to put in my Gipsy Kings Greatest Hits CD and guess what buddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU5_kfzmhV8

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 30, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The ps4 can't read audio CDs either

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Professor Beetus posted:

why would you want to play a ps1 game in this manner OP. They should put all the old games up for free like Xbox does with game pass

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

American McGay posted:

They would have to have digital versions of PS1 games, which outside of like the dozen or so they started converting and then gave up on don't exist.

There's a ton of PS1 games available digitally (well, maybe not anymore lol), and I can play them on my PS3. I also have Xbox games from the first gen, 360, onex, and amazingly I can play like 99% of them on the most recent Xbox console, the Xbox series X. Too bad Sony doesn't care about their old catalogs.

styls trill epic posted:

why would you want to play a ps1 game in this manner OP. They should put all the old games up for free like Xbox does with game pass

I realize you have a fast and loose goofy posting gimmick, but there's plenty of old Xbox games you can't currently play via game pass. You can however still purchase and play them on the Xbox series X, unlike the PS5, which can play PS4 games and the Demon's Souls remaster.

Zerot posted:

This owns. None of the computers in my house even have disc drives anymore lol

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 30, 2022

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Zerot posted:

Xbox Series X keeps winning

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

If the ps5 is so bad, why does it’s thread have 1k more posts in it :smug:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

sponges posted:

Like many things, less is more.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

sponges posted:

Posts are bad.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Most of the posts here are about PlayStation

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love to post

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

poster? drat near killed 'er

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

sponges posted:

I have a bunch of old PS1 rpgs purchased on my ps3. Does that service let me play them? From what I understand I couldn’t transfer them over to ps4/5.

I’m so old and tired. Modern gaming is so confusing.

Whatever. I just hope Walmart ships my series x.

It's definitely frustrating. The Xbox handles it much better but still not perfectly. When you get your Series X, look into installing RetroArch on it. It seems intimidating but it can handle playing your PS1 games (that you legally ripped yourself of course)

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Barudak posted:

I mean, I know they're different wavelengths, I'm just sort of shocked there's a factory producing optical assemblies that will do DVD/BD but not CD. it seems like virtually every optical drive manufacturer makes exclusively combo drives when it comes to CD/DVD. I wonder if it's just a software thing?

the BD laser in my slim PS3 died but it'll still read DVD and CDs. sad but it's modded so doesn't really matter I guess :cheersdoge:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

hatty posted:

The duckstation dev got bullied off the internet by the retroarch creep so it may never get one
He’s back (been doing tons of PCSX2 poo poo and slowly returning to Duckstation) but also he got banned from the MS Developer Program somehow so he can’t really update the Xbox version.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

barnold posted:

I mean, I know they're different wavelengths, I'm just sort of shocked there's a factory producing optical assemblies that will do DVD/BD but not CD. it seems like virtually every optical drive manufacturer makes exclusively combo drives when it comes to CD/DVD. I wonder if it's just a software thing?

the BD laser in my slim PS3 died but it'll still read DVD and CDs. sad but it's modded so doesn't really matter I guess :cheersdoge:

The manual for the PS5 explicitly calls out no CDs, so it might be a codec thing but if it was youd think sony would charge you for it/make you download a free license like they do with the xboxen.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

barnold posted:

*rubs thumb and forefinger together*

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
if I wanted to play PS2 games on a modern console I'd do it on the Series X for free

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The ps4 can't read audio CDs either

I remember the commercials from the 90s...
"Nothing captures the power of music like a CD... Nothing unleashes it made by like a Sony"

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I first read about the PS5 Plus stuff on Reddit this morning…apparently this is a master stroke on Sony’s part.

Please check my Series X post up on SA-Mart incoming.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

sponges posted:

No games to play.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I am glad that even though there are like ten people that post in this thread, I still see tons of goon bloodstains and messages in Elden Ring. I was worried that only the PC crew would get to enjoy that aspect, but seems like there's plenty of Xbox souls goons representing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

is there a written guide on the internet for getting roms into retroarch?

dont tell me to join the discord because it loving sucks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sony's service was dissapointing, my PS3 remains.

Laserface posted:

is there a written guide on the internet for getting roms into retroarch?

dont tell me to join the discord because it loving sucks.

There was one when I did it last. Its just a little complex and for big files you gotta do something special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Laserface posted:

G-Police Reboot when?

This poo poo was so good