Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Petey posted:

pretend i haven't read this thread in 2+ weeks. what do i need to know besides

— more boosters
— wastewater going back up across us
— covid is over

-people are even more comfortable doing vehicular homicides, now more than ever
-covid is causing airborne diabetes, after a 9 month pregnancy
-the celebrities’ and elites’ re-reinfections always come in threes
-uninsured are no longer able to get free vax or tests
ppe over and around your mouth makes you gay
death rates are up extremely high
-pillowpants is too committed to maps and the thread to remember his passwords
(note: this has also been happening to me but i am doing no good deeds whatsoever)
-open biden
-covid over
-run on masks iminent, 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Joementum posted:

the government didn't authorize more covid spending so you can no longer get a PCR test in many places without them billing insurance or paying out of pocket and insurers are denying claims for asymptomatic testing. in a week or two the cash for vaccines (other than the new 50+ boosters they authorized) will run out. there's no more cash for treatment so they've stopped buying MAbs and paxlovid.

oh and europe's on fire but that won't happen here for ~*~reasons~*~

Speaking of surprise bills, guess how many people will dutifully go to testing and either get charged on the spot, or hope their insurance covers it which they will renege on 6 months from now

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Paradoxish posted:

It's extremely cool to have people treat you like a conspiracy theorist for providing them with publicly available data.

try this one:

in the US, after every peak, we have almost exactly 70 days before cases start increasing again. every single wave this has happened.

we are 70 days since omicrons peak, and we hit ba.2 being most prevalent today

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Joementum posted:

the government didn't authorize more covid spending so you can no longer get a PCR test in many places without them billing insurance or paying out of pocket and insurers are denying claims for asymptomatic testing. in a week or two the cash for vaccines (other than the new 50+ boosters they authorized) will run out. there's no more cash for treatment so they've stopped buying MAbs and paxlovid.

oh and europe's on fire but that won't happen here for ~*~reasons~*~

There's lawsuits going all the way back to match 2020 in new York because the feds are mad that new yorkers thought tests were free , when they were only supposed to be free for the uninsured. So companies are getting subpoenaed because the feds think they didn't try hard enough to collect insurance info at the same time that insurers were screaming they shouldn't have to cover test costs for people who weren't hospitalized

It's been a disaster since day 1 due to our horrible system

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

fosborb posted:

try this one:

in the US, after every peak, we have almost exactly 70 days before cases start increasing again. every single wave this has happened.

That's neat but I bet "almost exactly 70" is... 69???

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
i'm wondering when VT will switch off the free testing spigot. i don't think they've announced how much cash they have left over in their budget for it, but the testing site has this helpful message at the top today.

quote:

There is an ongoing delay in reporting test results since Thursday, March 24. We apologize for the longer wait for your results. If you are looking for a test result, you can call 802-863-7240 (select option 9, then option 3) from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

:rubby:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Insurers saying they shouldn't have to cover stuff, is both normal and actually correct. They shouldn't have to provide coverage because they should be dissolved, their assets seized, the personal assets of current and former executive seized, and the current and former executives sh-[unintelligible-interference] and then those assets are used to create a national healthcare system.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Can someone give me a ballpark on when we think we're going to really going ham with new cases in the states? I know you can roughly figure it out with doubling time and whatnot but I actually don't know how to do that math so if anyone wants to explain that that would be awesome as well

Yes I'm very dumb

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
so the 240 pack mask of 9210s is worth buying is what i'm hearing

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

cr0y posted:

Can someone give me a ballpark on when we think we're going to really going ham with new cases in the states? I know you can roughly figure it out with doubling time and whatnot but I actually don't know how to do that math so if anyone wants to explain that that would be awesome as well

Yes I'm very dumb

yesterday

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

cr0y posted:

Yes I'm very dumb

as i see it, there are two scenarios: (1) BA2 agressively reinfects people who got BA1, and (2) BA1 offers at least partial immunity to BA2

in scenario 1 we should start seeing cases take off in NY and new england in the next week or two and then spread throughout the country. in scenario 2 we'll see a modest increase in the northeast and other places where most activity is still indoors as people stop using masks and isolation and that will taper off until we get the wave in the south when air conditioning comes online.

of course, knowing which of these is happening is somewhat dependent on testing and, well, as we've been saying............

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Petey posted:

so the 240 pack mask of 9210s is worth buying is what i'm hearing

I am trying to go halves on one with a friend cause that’s a grip of masks

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Has analyzing airplane traffic patterns and where COVID spikes start born any fruit?

Like totally wild guess, but I imagine New York and Atlanta, being major international hubs for European travel, would naturally receive infected people from Europe first.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Joementum posted:

as i see it, there are two scenarios: (1) BA2 agressively reinfects people who got BA1, and (2) BA1 offers at least partial immunity to BA2

in scenario 1 we should start seeing cases take off in NY and new england in the next week or two and then spread throughout the country. in scenario 2 we'll see a modest increase in the northeast and other places where most activity is still indoors as people stop using masks and isolation and that will taper off until we get the wave in the south when air conditioning comes online.

of course, knowing which of these is happening is somewhat dependent on testing and, well, as we've been saying............

im gonna go out on a limb and say the ADE variant already exists, we just don’t know it yet

maybe BA.2.4.20 will squeeze it out of existence instead of recombining with it, inshallah

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

fosborb posted:

try this one:

tbh sounds like i should just simplify it to about 90 days between peaks, and for simplicity's sake just treat the classic solstices & equinoxes as the "loving hide" dates

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Yeah it's happening now as far as I can tell

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Cup Runneth Over posted:

This is like several years' worth for me lol. even though it's like 25% off. Time to fully embrace the PPE hoarder mentality/become mask Santa I guess

Are 9210+ the toptier ones, or do they have the inferior headbands? I forget where the big step up in quality was between 9205 9210 9211 etc

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
lol at the loving numbers massaging

these fuckers are so terrified of the US hitting one million covid deaths officially and will do anything to stop it

just wait until BA2 surges this coming month

lordy just imagine what the elections will look like in the grip of another pandemic wave that just can't be talked down

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

kalensc posted:

Are 9210+ the toptier ones, or do they have the inferior headbands? I forget where the big step up in quality was between 9205 9210 9211 etc

9205 = elastic headband
9210 = woven headband
9211 = woven headband + valve

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SpaceDrake posted:

lol at the loving numbers massaging

these fuckers are so terrified of the US hitting one million covid deaths officially and will do anything to stop it

just wait until BA2 surges this coming month

lordy just imagine what the elections will look like in the grip of another pandemic wave that just can't be talked down

Any amount of death will be talked down or massaged away. We're already reversing an absolutely absurd number of deaths, to the point where excess deaths will probably make it clear that we're undercounting by at least a third.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
we almost certainly hit a million deaths last year if you just add in all the ones that chud coroners refused to write “covid” on

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The adrenochrome-bamlanivimab cocktails will keep our corrupt gerontocracy shambling forward without actually dying most of the time. We get to watch them make increasingly poor decisions as they grapple with COVID accelerated turbo dementia.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The adrenochrome-bamlanivimab cocktails will keep our corrupt gerontocracy shambling forward without actually dying most of the time. We get to watch them make increasingly poor decisions as they grapple with COVID accelerated turbo dementia.

The cocktails are exclusive and VIP. It doesn't even matter if they work that well, only that the poors are denied them.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

bam doesn’t do poo poo against omicron

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
greetings from upstate new york

the guy i work for went to a corporate retreat thingy in Boston on Saturday March 19th, stayed until Tuesday March 21st

Symptomatic Thursday March 23rd, rapid test negative, he waves me off because yeah
Symptomatic Friday March 24th, rapid test negative, I spell him at the shop so he can rest. We share air maybe in passing
Symptomatic Saturday March 25th, waves me off because why bother risking it.
Feeling better Sunday March 26th, rapid test negative
Feeling better Monday March 27th, we share air maybe 30 minutes obviously i'm in my aura and the corsi cube is going
Feeling better Tuesday March 28th, we share air maybe 20 minutes, he gets the news his brother in law is positive after BIL feeling bad
I tell him to swab his throat in addition to his nares on the next test he takes
Tuesday evening March 28th he pops hot on the fourth rapid test

lmao

gently caress my life

at least a family member is traveling (HA HA OPEN BIDEN) so I have a safe place to get the gently caress away fromy my wife and cats

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Joementum posted:

9205 = elastic headband
9210 = woven headband
9211 = woven headband + valve
^this is correct

I would add that the 9211+s that I've bought seems sightly smaller/tighter. I don't know if it was just the batch I got, and the straps are sightly tighter, but it seemed smaller than the 9205/9210s.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My work buddy went home early today because he wasn't feeling well. He had Covid just a couple months back. His 95 year old father recently survived a hospitalization with Covid. How long will luck last?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

AppleNippleBOB posted:

^this is correct

I would add that the 9211+s that I've bought seems sightly smaller/tighter. I don't know if it was just the batch I got, and the straps are sightly tighter, but it seemed smaller than the 9205/9210s.

I've had the exact same issue with the 9211. The exhale valve is kinda nice but it puts noticeably more pressure on the tip and bridge of my nose so it's kind of a net loss for me.

At this rate my perfect mask would be a BNX F95 with the nose foam from a 3M Aura and an exhale valve. Can't have it all.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

A glorious 425k case day today for South Korea! :sun:

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."

Horseshoe theory posted:

Wtf r they even doin

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Horseshoe theory posted:

holy poo poo, I assume that's just a weekend backlog?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Horseshoe theory posted:

an entire month of peaks! wow working hard

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

eternalvictory posted:

Wtf r they even doin

peaking hard, thank you!

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."

Gunshow Poophole posted:

peaking hard, thank you!

Maybe they should stop peaking wtf
Is so hard

Fkn covid panties dont WORL!!!

work

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1508827279723581446

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

Wtf is up with this covid its over so you cant peek a thing that is over

The amount of grown men at work commenting about now seeing my face makes me wanna die
I transferred out of a nice office position to a labor one just so i wouldn’t be confined with you loving MORONS WHY THIS gently caress IS ANY OF THIS HAPPENING JESUS CHRIST

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rutibex posted:

I have this exact model mask and WRONG :colbert:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B095YC3ZD5/

He is a connoisseur of EHMRs.

https://twitter.com/jasmith_yorku/status/1498316677590798341

The mask in the first photo is bad because it has no NIOSH particulate rating, only ASTM like surgical masks.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 04:28 on Mar 30, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HazCat posted:

I'm not sure you can tell that just from the photo - the GVS Elipse source control model is just their regular valved model with a plug in the valve. I know because I initially bought one with a valve, then found out about the source control version and grabbed that one as well in case I need it.

I've since found out that they have a third Elipse model with built-in eye protection, and I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered grabbing that one as well.

GVS should advertise the Elipse Integra “as seen in the hit video game Grand Theft Auto V!”

Tzen posted:

got a spam email from PlayStation about how if you have a ps5 (lol) GTA online diamond heist is free
it had this promo image

lol this game/image was originally released on December 12th, 2019
love that PPE :coronatoot::getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nocturtle posted:

WRT reinfections, interesting to compare recent and early pandemic studies, quoting here just some summary articles:

Oct 2020:

March 2022:

The earlier observations were not systematic, but to a layman it looks like SARS-COV-2 got a lot better at reinfecting people over the past couple of years. Previously reinfections were rare, now they're happening within weeks. The virus is a lot more widespread now, but the neutralizing antibody data suggests the underlying problem is there's just not much adapative immune response. Maybe it was always this way and we're really noticing now because we're just letting it spread without constraint.

Also while looking up the old Derek Lowe article I tripped across this April 2020 twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/statesdj/status/1252698979285991424
Sounds familiar. More time is needed to determine when people need boosters though.

My money would be on “it has always been this way”.

Case numbers are way higher now and besides that, most authorities set the bar for confirming reinfections very high. They wanted infections three or six months apart, with the virus’s genome sequenced for both. With criteria like that, of course very few reinfections were “found”.