Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

someone should slap john wayne imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8LhosLmWGo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I'm going to need some confirmation on the John Wayne part here.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

PeterCat posted:

I'm going to need some confirmation on the John Wayne part here.

She says that's what happened. It doesn't like there's any footage, though.

https://www.whiskeyriff.com/2022/03...ather-on-stage/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Yeah I'm on the side of dumb jokes more than hitting people

being pro-slap is the 2022 version of the 2007 version of wearing a fedora

It's ok, I'll feel the embarrasment of your posting for you. I have empathy.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Yes, I'm a goon
Yes, I slap men who joke about fine maidens
Yes, I own a katana
Deal with it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shut up

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
As long as I can still laugh at John Travolta's toupees, I'll be okay.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It's still a weird narrative that Smith was "checking" Rock as some kind of assertive and protective move and not, like, having an obvious meltdown as he went back to his seat and started cry screaming at him.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 30, 2022

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The twitters have turned on Zoe K over this since she called out smith, and has been grooming Jaden because she joked that he was attractive when he was 14 and she was 26. (Aka made two jokes about it). I officially declare everyone on Twitter needs a one week time out for being lame as hell and racist.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

LionArcher posted:

The twitters have turned on Zoe K over this since she called out smith, and has been grooming Jaden because she joked that he was attractive when he was 14 and she was 26. (Aka made two jokes about it). I officially declare everyone on Twitter needs a one week time out for being lame as hell and racist.

If Twitter could get times out for that…

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's still a weird narrative that Smith was "checking" Rock as some kind of assertive and protective move and not, like, having an obvious meltdown as he went back to his seat and started cry screaming at him.

That’s the way it is in West Philly. You slap a guy and start crying, then you give a sobbing speech about how Shakespeare would have done the same thing or something

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Drunkboxer posted:

That’s the way it is in West Philly. You slap a guy and start crying, then you give a sobbing speech about how Shakespeare would have done the same thing or something

Shakespeare would have insulted you with hilariously profane puns

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Ah, what light through yonder window breaks? Pay it no heed, 'tis merely moonlight bouncing off thy wifely chrome dome.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Shakespeare would definitely have used the word cuck and Twitter would be in knots about whether that was problematic.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

LionArcher posted:

Zoe will also need a time out as well then💀

https://twitter.com/qaomene/status/1508997778571210761?s=21&t=d6Don-VneIBGyVHxpX1NsA

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I'm anti-Oscars and pro-bullying comedians.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
People sure do love Will Smith. Or slapping people.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

live with fruit posted:

People sure do love Will Smith. Or slapping people.

If you haven't seen some guy chirping off at someone and get slapped or the equivalent (aka any embarrassing thing that wouldnt actual physically harm him) and didn't silently cheer, you havent really lived.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just don't really care what happens to people with an 8+ figure net worth. You can dry your tears with fistfuls of hundred dollar bills. Having someone hit you or make fun of you on TV instead going to destroy your life if you're rich. And none of this has any bearing on cancel culture or the war in Ukraine or whatever you can't shut up about today.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I just don't really care what happens to people with an 8+ figure net worth. You can dry your tears with fistfuls of hundred dollar bills. Having someone hit you or make fun of you on TV instead going to destroy your life if you're rich. And none of this has any bearing on cancel culture or the war in Ukraine or whatever you can't shut up about today.

Nobody should care is the issue outside of the moment. People with 8+ figures are still...people and they have human moments and thats what happened. Have a wow reaction, do your memes when it happens, and then move on. Issue is, in this age, people make money from outrage and hot takes on things and so EVERYONE (including news sources because of the click revenue) is latching on to have their big take on it to try to get the money from it being a hot thing. It's still dominating all of my social media feeds for that reason.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, exactly. I exchanged some memes via text and that was the end of my interest in it.

The flood of We Need To Talk About X style articles is just annoying. Now that I think about it, it's probably a good thing because it discourages me from being on Twitter or Facebook for at least a couple weeks.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Darko posted:

If you haven't seen some guy chirping off at someone and get slapped or the equivalent (aka any embarrassing thing that wouldnt actual physically harm him) and didn't silently cheer, you havent really lived.

I think there's a different between a belligerent rear end in a top hat at a football game and Chris Rock's lame joke. Besides people with a parasocial relationship with Will and Jada, who felt catharsis?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

live with fruit posted:

I think there's a different between a belligerent rear end in a top hat at a football game and Chris Rock's lame joke. Besides people with a parasocial relationship with Will and Jada, who felt catharsis?

I was commenting on the second part of what you said. There's been a large social argument between the sheltered and the not sheltered around the whole social concept of male on male slapping for two days because of this. My response was that a good portion of people turn a blind eye to slapping and might like but not condone some instances of it because of what it means socially.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

live with fruit posted:

It's hardly necessary to have a parasocial relationship with the Smiths to feel some kind of catharsis. We do it with fictional characters we're just introduced to all the time, just as long as the proper signifiers are present.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

KVeezy3 posted:

It's hardly necessary to have a parasocial relationship with the Smiths to feel some kind of catharsis. We do it with fictional characters we're just introduced to all the time, just as long as the proper signifiers are present.

So it's about Rock? Or standup comedians?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

its about ethics in hosting the oscars

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

live with fruit posted:

So it's about Rock? Or standup comedians?

Wouldnt it be about any person talking poo poo about someone else feeling they won't get any repercussions for it? I dunno why it would be limited that small. I think everyone has seen someone that talks major poo poo doing so where they think its a "safe space" for them, so that's where the catharsis would come from.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Darko posted:

Wouldnt it be about any person talking poo poo about someone else feeling they won't get any repercussions for it? I dunno why it would be limited that small. I think everyone has seen someone that talks major poo poo doing so where they think its a "safe space" for them, so that's where the catharsis would come from.

So much of comedy is built around making fun of people that this argument comes off pretty weak. No one cheering on Will Smith here has laughed at someone else before?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Imho the slap was an inappropriate response to the Oscar joke heckling that gets served out every year, but the joke itself was pretty inappropriate also so who cares. Will Smith apologized and Chris Rock isn't gonna press charges, so its pretty much over and done with aside from the sick memes. The Academy will put out their results of their investigation in a couple weeks and probably choose the most tone deaf option, which will probably dominate another news cycle, but everyone will forget about this in a week otherwise

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I can’t wait for Billy Crystal to parody “the slap” with a tasteful skit at next year’s Oscars

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://www.teenvogue.com/story/will-smith-chris-rock-slap-situation-is-not-about-you

Really good article on the discourse and aftermath of the slap. Like this whole thread needs to read it I think.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

live with fruit posted:

So much of comedy is built around making fun of people that this argument comes off pretty weak. No one cheering on Will Smith here has laughed at someone else before?

Yeah I laughed at Chris Rock getting slapped

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Zoe will also need a time out as well then💀
Twitter will actually get mad at you for not having sex with a kid. Fantastic website.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

MacheteZombie posted:

i chuckled at the slap

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Comedians whining about this makes it obvious they don’t understand humor

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

live with fruit posted:

It isn't an 'argument'; it's an abstract description of a circumstance that can jumpstart a human connection. So it's not an either/or situation and no one is cancelling roast comedy.

In other words:

MacheteZombie posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Now they are saying they asked him to leave but he refused.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/30/movies/will-smith-chris-rock-slap-oscars.html?referringSource=articleShare

quote:

LOS ANGELES — The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said Wednesday that the actor Will Smith was asked to leave the Oscars ceremony after he slapped Chris Rock Sunday night onstage, but that the actor had refused to go.

The admission came as part of a statement the academy released saying it had initiated disciplinary proceedings against Mr. Smith “for violations of the academy’s standards of conduct, including inappropriate physical contact, abusive or threatening behavior, and compromising the integrity of the academy.”

The disciplinary process will take a few weeks to conclude, it said. Mr. Smith is being given at least 15 days’ notice of a vote regarding his violations and potential sanctions. He will be given the opportunity to be heard beforehand with a written response. The organization’s board of governors are scheduled to meet again April 18.