Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

GlyphGryph posted:

Can someone remind me what his motivation is here again?

He hates humans because Ysengrin hated them. Humans are weak and don't follow the rules of nature i.e. the weak should submit to the strong. However unlike Ysengrin he lacks caution because he is six months old and has godlike power, so he is eager to find a way to destroy the Court immediately and without regard for consequences.

When he got the Coyote water, he discovered that Coyote planned for him to die. He wants to avoid that, or at least learn what Coyote meant, and he can only do that by going to the Court and seeing what Coyote wanted him to see.

Additionally, he does not understand how to use his power in the way that Coyote did, and as a result the Forest is falling apart. Even if he wasn't going to die, he would need some way to get a better handle on chaos so he could effectively hold everything together like Coyote somehow did. Omega seems like it would obviously have the answers.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

He wants to have all of Coyote's gifts back (because he thinks that's the key to controlling his powers), while the vestigial memories within Coyote's gifts have been pushing him to search the court for something (which Loup may think is also the key to controlling his powers and totally not the thing Coyote explicitly told him will reveal to him why he's fated to die).

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

GlyphGryph posted:

Can someone remind me what his motivation is here again?

To destroy any lingering good will people have for his comic.

E: Ohhh! You meant Loup.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

worm girl posted:

Omega seems like it would obviously have the answers.

Why is this? I guess I'm confused as to his reaction of how oh, this is exactly what he was looking for, followed by him thinking the concept is really dumb? I didn't realize that was what he was looking for and don't understand why he'd think it was dumb if he was.

maswastaken posted:

He wants to have all of Coyote's gifts back (because he thinks that's the key to controlling his powers), while the vestigial memories within Coyote's gifts have been pushing him to search the court for something (which Loup may think is also the key to controlling his powers and totally not the thing Coyote explicitly told him will reveal to him why he's fated to die).

Didn't he get all the gifts back?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

He's still missing the tooth and whatever part of him possesses bodies.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

GlyphGryph posted:

Why is this? I guess I'm confused as to his reaction of how oh, this is exactly what he was looking for, followed by him thinking the concept is really dumb? I didn't realize that was what he was looking for and don't understand why he'd think it was dumb if he was.

He is being irrational because he's a big stupid baby. When he searched Coyote's memories, he found the word Omega and that it was somehow very important. He is seeking it out to figure out why Coyote thought that.

At the same time, he thinks humans are worthless and everything they make sucks. Ysengrin never understood what Renard and Coyote saw in humanity. He always saw two gods fascinated by an anthill, whereas Coyote believed that humanity was greater than the gods.

This internal conflict is playing itself out in his present actions. Loup thinks highly of Coyote and is interested in learning what Coyote was into, but he thinks poorly of humans and can't square the two. Resolving the internal inconsistency will almost certainly either drive his character development or destroy him.

Or the doubters will be proven correct and something nonsensical will happen instead.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Lmao is loup going to accidently design the perfected Omega system out of frustration from Annie's description of the problem?

that would be an extremely coyote move

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

A big flaming stink posted:

Lmao is loup going to accidently design the perfected Omega system out of frustration from Annie's description of the problem?

that would be an extremely coyote move

Oh no y'all remember the old theory about how Kat was the Donlan's quantum computer.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I am really not enjoying these last few pages though, like forget all my previous complaints it all just feels SO STUPID.

I already missed having Annie as a point of view character and not getting to understand her thoughts and motivations anymore, and this is just making it even worse because understanding loups thoughts and motivations is just annoying. I'd so much rather know what is going on in Annie's head right now instead of this rear end in a top hat. I'd much rather have watched her talk with her dad than this talk. Or her talking with Kat. Or something. Anything.

I really need to stop instinctively loading up this comic every time I go to visit girl genius just because it also begins with a g.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Loup stares into the camera, says "Oh, I get it now" and then dies, is never mentioned again.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

loup starts watching a video tutorial on object oriented programming in C++

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I'm feeling bamboozled that the answer to this big Omega mystery that's been shrouded for years is being delivered to us casually by the protagonist, and the character she's talking to thinks it's dumb

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Fecha posted:

I'm feeling bamboozled that the answer to this big Omega mystery that's been shrouded for years is being delivered to us casually by the protagonist, and the character she's talking to thinks it's dumb

Yeah the delivery of this huge revelation is baffling. Either 1) Annie is lying to Loup about all this to bait him out, or 2) she's telling the truth and this is actually what Omega is. If 1 is the case, then why are we spending so much time and effort into explaining all this? And if this isn't true, then there'll be some subset of people who find this false concept super interesting and will be bummed out that it's false. If 2 is the case, then why did we not get to see Annie learning about this, and (arguably more importantly) why didn't we get to see the relationship between her and her dad grow to where Tony could explain something like this to her? Wouldn't that be a massive character moment that would be the culmination of their arcs?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

My fear is that Annie's monologue was meant to be the big resolution of the storyline around their relationship. That Tony actually changing is something we're meant to take for granted after the important step of the less powerful person in the relationship committing to unconditional forgiveness in perpetuity.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ditocoaf posted:

My fear is that Annie's monologue was meant to be the big resolution of the storyline around their relationship. That Tony actually changing is something we're meant to take for granted after the important step of the less powerful person in the relationship committing to unconditional forgiveness in perpetuity.

I thought we were pretty long past the point of that obviously being the intent. The only question now is intentions wrt Loup and Omega.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
loup get ipad

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
What the hell is he on about? Annie did not get his little mental derail. She asked how a computer can keep track of stuff and in response he started talking about how a hand has multiple components. I don't think that made anything clearer yet.
I wonder where this is going.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

cant cook creole bream posted:

What the hell is he on about? Annie did not get his little mental derail. She asked how a computer can keep track of stuff and in response he started talking about how a hand has multiple components. I don't think that made anything clearer yet.

She asked how a computer could keep track of every atom in the universe. It couldn't, as it would need to be bigger than the universe to do so. Therefore it must be using some kind of abstraction that shrinks its computational demands without making it unusably inaccurate.

He pulled from Coyote's proximity to omniscience to instantly grok an answer to her question because a robot probably ought to know this.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wow they're getting pretty handsy.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

I didn't understand it at first so I reread the previous 3 and then today's update. Which made me draw the same conclusion as Worm Girl. So this is a very strong case of "better if you don't read it when it comes out". Though it still feels a little clunky currently.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
So is Annie or Zimmy the chaos component?

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Hands, holding hands

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I keep thinking about what someone said about how this would've been a lot more interesting if he'd held back on the Jerrek/Loup reveal for a while. Also that all of this would've been a lot better from Annie's POV, because

CodfishCartographer posted:

why did we not get to see Annie learning about this, and (arguably more importantly) why didn't we get to see the relationship between her and her dad grow to where Tony could explain something like this to her? Wouldn't that be a massive character moment that would be the culmination of their arcs?
Like it could've been like "aww cute robot" and getting to see more of Annie's surprise/confusion at him knowing or saying things he shouldn't, then you get hit with the Loup whammy and everything is like "but then... that was.. the part where he was blushing.. eugghh :gonk:". As it is now it's just... dull. And dull is arguably the worst thing a fictional work can be, especially when delivering the answer to a looming mystery.

I want to like this comic, believe it or not. I want to be invested in it again. I want to count it among the Good Webcomics I read, like I used to. But it's really hard for me to ignore how it's been playing out in very dull, frustrating ways. If this really is being played straight and not Annie secretly knowing he's Loup, then I can't get over "why did we not see Annie learning about this from her father, and why is a huge secret that's been foreshadowed for years being delivered in a dull monologue". Why are we instead seeing this through the eyes of a petulant godchild who a not-insignificant portion of readers seem to find very boring because he has been portrayed as a petulant godchild who is less than the sum of his parts and the comic isn't really doing anything to tell us why we should care.

I keep coming back to the Homestuck comparison like, Maybe It Is Bad Actually To Replace The Villain You've Been Building Up Tension Around For The Entire Comic With A Petulant Godchild And Expect The Audience To Care Just As Much.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Coyote was such an interesting antagonist, and here we are stuck with this dumbass.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

This is all just grinding Tony for his lack of hands isn't it

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I wonder if Loup's death that Coyote wants is more metaphorical than literal

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bilirubin posted:

This is all just grinding Tony for his lack of hands isn't it
Hmm... he had one hand, then he got two daughters and two hands... has anyone looked at Tony's right arm lately?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

BrightWing posted:

I wonder if Loup's death that Coyote wants is more metaphorical than literal

Loup will "die"...so that Jerrek, good sweet perfect boy, can live :angel:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Maybe the only thing Coyote really wanted...was to be loved!

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Captain Oblivious posted:

Loup will "die"...so that Jerrek, good sweet perfect boy, can live :angel:

My wild speculation is that Annie will be forced to use the tooth to pry Loup's ethereal self out of Jerrek and this will give him death by causing him to become as mortal as everyone else.

Bonster posted:

So is Annie or Zimmy the chaos component?

I'm guessing it's Smitty, though Kat From The Future is also a possibility.

I base this on not having seen Smitty in a while, and also on the time travel plot being kind of weak despite the long setup.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 30, 2022

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

worm girl posted:

My wild speculation is that Annie will be forced to use the tooth to pry Loup's ethereal self out of Jerrek and this will give him death by causing him to become as mortal as everyone else.

I'm guessing it's Smitty, though Kat From The Future is also a possibility.

I base this on not having seen Smitty in a while, and also on the time travel plot being kind of weak despite the long setup.

Oh, I hadn't considered that, a method of organizing chaos rather than chaos itself...

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Inb4 Smitty deus ex machina the loup problem.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Bongo Bill posted:

Free will? Will is not innocent; he deserves to be punished for his crimes

speaking of hands

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
The closed system thing finally makes this conversation make sense to me. I was wondering where it was going, but now we have an actually new piece of information and an explanation of why they want to build a new Court.

So I'm still pretty sure Annie is deceiving Loup here (and that's why we're stuck with his POV), but I wonder if her aim was to actually get him to help figure out what the Court is doing. She knew Coyote better than most people, maybe she knew his weird son would be able to draw on his knowledge.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

worm girl posted:

The closed system thing finally makes this conversation make sense to me. I was wondering where it was going, but now we have an actually new piece of information and an explanation of why they want to build a new Court.

So I'm still pretty sure Annie is deceiving Loup here (and that's why we're stuck with his POV), but I wonder if her aim was to actually get him to help figure out what the Court is doing. She knew Coyote better than most people, maybe she knew his weird son would be able to draw on his knowledge.

I hope that theory pans out, because that would explain a bunch of behaviours. It's also amusing in how Loup mentions the Ether would screw everything up, ie not being fair.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I keep waffling between Annie knows or not. Today she knows. She has had very little emotion on her face these last few comics.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

What I'm taking from this so far is:
Omega can't possibly make accurate predictions, for multiple reasons.
Omega's functionality basically requires the Shadow Men's end goal to have already been achieved, or doing what Kat does when perceiving the ether.
Loup is right now straight up using a power that Omega is trying to achieve, which can probably be taken like every single one of Coyote's powers already have been.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i think regardless of what the characters choose to do this time the red flag of “the same gambit that caught renard is happening again” is supposed to be raised

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I can't believe all this key omega info was just dumped by her dad off-screen.

I thought maybe *she* was completely bluffing, but flashbacks on her end make me believe the info is at least partially true.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

I can't believe all this key omega info was just dumped by her dad off-screen.

I thought maybe *she* was completely bluffing, but flashbacks on her end make me believe the info is at least partially true.

Hmm, it's looking more like a lie to me. We saw how Annie learned about their expeditions, it was Anja who told her.