Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
If Hellie was Keir nobility I think it's highly unlikely that Milcheck would be calling her a cutesy nickname.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The Keirs probably don't even exist.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
My personal theory is that the Helly they used for the video isn't the real Helly, it was either a deep fake or, more likely in this show, a third severed version created for the sole purpose of creating the video, given a script or told some nonsense about what was going on.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The Keirs probably don't even exist.
Oh, they absolutely do exist. Not only do they exist...

...they're gonna be portrayed by Paul Rudd.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Helly is probably important or a True Believer or something, but I was actually really intrigued by the idea that she's just a regular person who quickly realized that as long as she doesn't physically harm her own body, her innie is just her little work slave that she doesn't have to care about. I think that video was when it truly dawned on me how separate the two "people" are.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Helly isn't a Kier because there was only one Kier, Kier Eagan.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

AndrewP posted:

Helly is probably important or a True Believer or something, but I was actually really intrigued by the idea that she's just a regular person who quickly realized that as long as she doesn't physically harm her own body, her innie is just her little work slave that she doesn't have to care about. I think that video was when it truly dawned on me how separate the two "people" are.

that could still be Dylan, we don't know what his decision to be severed stems from. Might just be his loves his life except for work and just wants to skip that lovely part of life.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just hope we get *some* answers to things in the next 2 weeks. I’m sure there’ll be new things to leave as a cliffhanger, but a bit of resolution to some aspects would be nice.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AndrewP posted:

The Board reminds me of The Board from Control.

I love a good mysterious Board.

There's a lot about the show that reminds me of Control, and they're right at the top of the list, I love it.

Also John Turturro deserves an Emmy just for the delivery of this line.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I just hope we get *some* answers to things in the next 2 weeks. I’m sure there’ll be new things to leave as a cliffhanger, but a bit of resolution to some aspects would be nice.

I'm really not worried about this, I feel like the show is definitely kind of narrowing to a point rather than just adding more and more threads to chase down.

EDIT: I'm also very mad at myself for binging it all yesterday so that now I have to wait all week for the next epsiode.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 29, 2022

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Inspector_666 posted:

There's a lot about the show that reminds me of Control, and they're right at the top of the list, I love it.

I'm really not worried about this, I feel like the show is definitely kind of narrowing to a point rather than just adding more and more threads to chase down.

EDIT: I'm also very mad at myself for binging it all yesterday so that now I have to wait all week for the next epsiode.

Yeah, it seems like forever in-between episodes of this show, but every time I turn around there is another episode of Spring Baking Championship on.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Khanstant posted:

that could still be Dylan, we don't know what his decision to be severed stems from. Might just be his loves his life except for work and just wants to skip that lovely part of life.

I hope at least one outie is exactly the same personality/attitude as the innie and Dylan is my mark for that one. Just like Dylan talks up how his outie is a fuckin bodybuilder or whatever I bet Dylan's outie says his work self solves world hunger and poo poo. Bet he has like 6+ "best dad ever" mugs

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Inspector_666 posted:

on top of the amazing delivery its 100% earned. This show is so good!

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Back to the Helly talk I'm convinced she's either an Eagan herself or a high level executive in Lumon.

Clues have all been laid out especially everything Milchick said except for one. Everytime we've seen Mark go up or down the elevator the guard is right there. When it is Hellys departure time, when she tries to kill herself, the guard is very obviously not there. Why would a guard leave his post basically at the most important time of day (entrance and departure) unless he knew the person who was departing that time was above scrutiny?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

insider posted:

Clues have all been laid out especially everything Milchick said except for one. Everytime we've seen Mark go up or down the elevator the guard is right there. When it is Hellys departure time, when she tries to kill herself, the guard is very obviously not there. Why would a guard leave his post basically at the most important time of day (entrance and departure) unless he knew the person who was departing that time was above scrutiny?

He could be lazy and not give a poo poo. e.g. letting Marc fumble around with his second card in the most recent episode.

I'm not saying that Helly couldn't be "important", but I wouldn't hang too much importance on this reveal in case it's not actually coming down the pipe.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I tried watching clocks in a few episodes but it doesn't seem important enough for them to obsess over getting "right" but I briefly wondered if there was a clue there.

Hawkperson posted:

I hope at least one outie is exactly the same personality/attitude as the innie and Dylan is my mark for that one. Just like Dylan talks up how his outie is a fuckin bodybuilder or whatever I bet Dylan's outie says his work self solves world hunger and poo poo. Bet he has like 6+ "best dad ever" mugs

outie dylan's veritable lumberyard's worth of finger traps he just buys for himself obsessively without knowing why, would make innie Dylan insane with jealousy

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 29, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It could just be that the security guard stepped away for a second.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I could imagine a scenario where the security guard is told to not be present when she exits if she really is that important.

It did seem like he just stepped out for a second though. His morning shift seems to be more important than the afternoon shift.

Also would they really treat an Eagan's innie badly?

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 29, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They don't see the innies as real people so it doesn't matter as long as it's not physical.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
When have they treated her badly, by their own hosed-up standards, relative to how they treat any other severed employee. Everyone working there is objectively treated badly, but doesn't seem like she's getting things worse than anyone else either.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Captain Monkey posted:

a third severed version

Oh snap! This is a total possibility.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, the best case (which I'm kind of starting to expect, setting myself up for disappointment, because every week has just gotten better), is that they wrap up a very tight storyline in season 1, but then also have an actually well-formed idea for a season 2 with a totally different/wider scope.

Less-good scenarios include making this season end in further muddling, or the "surprise-success-streaming-miniseries" cliche of a season 2 that doesn't have a solid idea of its own and is just a cash-in on a successful IP.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Remember reviewers have seen the entire season, and most of them say the ending of this season is good while still leaving stuff unresolved for season 2 so I'm not worried about that.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

sarcastx posted:

Out of sheer coincidence I just happened to complete "DEATHLOOP" (the title is stylized like this everywhere, lol) right before I started watching Severance; if you're not familiar with the game, it's set in the 1960's on a remote island/former military base where experiments were carried out leading to the island being stuck in a repeating time loop of the same day, over and over. To break the loop, you need to kill the eight "visionaries" sustaining the loop - all in the same day.

Only the protagonist - Colt Vahn, and primary antagonist Julianna Blake carry memories from loop to loop (so Colt and Julianna are like Milchick and Cobel, carrying memories between in and out of the Severed floor - and Deathloop's cultists would be your Innie equivalents). Both Severance and Deathloop have a delightful retro aesthetic - but man, the thing that really got me was how similar the melody seems in the theme songs for each.

Am I wrong or are these like, the same notes?
(the string section, not the guitar)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlT2Fau8H8g

Definitely a lot of similarities between these two melodies for sure!

The interesting thing about the Severance theme is that the melody note on beat 1 of the motif is the sharp (harmonic minor) 7th scale degree, which is definitely not a normal emphasis note for a melody, but then it comes right back and settles into the 5th scale degree which is normal, nice and comfortable. There's also a three note lead up to that, as well as some falling motion afterwards that makes it "fit" eventually, but it's still out of place. Great use of harmonic/melodic suggestion to carry the show's theme. Love poo poo like that.

The DEATHLOOP (lol) theme you posted also has a falling three note motif, but it's not as alien as Severance's—it starts on the 2nd scale degree and immediately resolves to 1, then 5. The DEATHLOOP theme accomplishes it's "something's not quite right here" qualities by having a weird 2nd chord (up to the minor 3rd), which the Severance theme also does, kinda.

This Deathloop melody actually reminds me of the little three note chime that plays when someone locks in their answer on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire :D

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

timp posted:

Definitely a lot of similarities between these two melodies for sure!

The interesting thing about the Severance theme is that the melody note on beat 1 of the motif is the sharp (harmonic minor) 7th scale degree, which is definitely not a normal emphasis note for a melody, but then it comes right back and settles into the 5th scale degree which is normal, nice and comfortable. There's also a three note lead up to that, as well as some falling motion afterwards that makes it "fit" eventually, but it's still out of place. Great use of harmonic/melodic suggestion to carry the show's theme. Love poo poo like that.

The DEATHLOOP (lol) theme you posted also has a falling three note motif, but it's not as alien as Severance's—it starts on the 2nd scale degree and immediately resolves to 1, then 5. The DEATHLOOP theme accomplishes it's "something's not quite right here" qualities by having a weird 2nd chord (up to the minor 3rd), which the Severance theme also does, kinda.

This Deathloop melody actually reminds me of the little three note chime that plays when someone locks in their answer on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire :D

Can you also analyze and compare it to the game over music in the SNES Home Improvement video game please if possible? Reading the part of your post about the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire answer lock in made me think of it and subsequently literally laugh out in the loud.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 29, 2022

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Danzel Glovington posted:

Can you also analyze and compare it to the game over music in the SNES Home Improvement video game please if possible? Reading the part of your post about the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire answer lock in made me think of it and subsequently literally laugh out in the loud.

The short version: nearly identical to DL and WWTBAM's three note motif except the 3rd note is a half step higher which makes it sound more dissonant since it brings out the tri-tone interval (perhaps best known as the "womp womp" interval) between notes 2 and 3. My favorite part of analyzing that was watching a pixelated Tim Allen die repeatedly.

Does anybody have any theories as to the receptionist-type person who always relays the Board's messages to employees during board meetings? The actress is so hilarious in that part; such a nice and kind face and delivery coupled with the most gently caress You dialogue in the whole show. The simple assumption is that she's just another severed worker in some sort of Admin department or something, but maybe there's more to be revealed later?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

timp posted:

The short version: nearly identical to DL and WWTBAM's three note motif except the 3rd note is a half step higher which makes it sound more dissonant since it brings out the tri-tone interval (perhaps best known as the "womp womp" interval) between notes 2 and 3. My favorite part of analyzing that was watching a pixelated Tim Allen die repeatedly.

Does anybody have any theories as to the receptionist-type person who always relays the Board's messages to employees during board meetings? The actress is so hilarious in that part; such a nice and kind face and delivery coupled with the most gently caress You dialogue in the whole show. The simple assumption is that she's just another severed worker in some sort of Admin department or something, but maybe there's more to be revealed later?

she seems like she really enjoys being the voice of god and her indirect power over others to the point where I was actually rooting for Cobel in that scene where she gets all up in her personal space. That leads me to believe she is not severed. It feels like that kind of attitude is something that takes years of resentment at one’s relative lack of power to develop. What do I know though. Before that Cobel scene I was 50/50 on whether she was literally The Board herself or not

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Really looking forward to next week's big "the board" reveals.

(jk, or am I?)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Hawkperson posted:

she seems like she really enjoys being the voice of god and her indirect power over others to the point where I was actually rooting for Cobel in that scene where she gets all up in her personal space. That leads me to believe she is not severed. It feels like that kind of attitude is something that takes years of resentment at one’s relative lack of power to develop. What do I know though. Before that Cobel scene I was 50/50 on whether she was literally The Board herself or not

Yes! She 100% reminded me of a power tripping assistant

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Mellow Seas posted:

Really looking forward to next week's big "the board" reveals.
If there's going to be an actual reveal, as in showing people, there's gotta be a curveball of some kind. One that throws Cobel for a loop and get all weird with someone in MDR.

--edit: Ricken being on the board. :haw:

--edit: Looking the cast up on IMDB and seeing that the Ricken actor has a second undisclosed character name, only next to whoever plays Kier, I guess I'm probably in the right ballpark.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 29, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

njsykora posted:

Remember reviewers have seen the entire season, and most of them say the ending of this season is good while still leaving stuff unresolved for season 2 so I'm not worried about that.

yeah i looked back at this variety review:

quote:

Soon enough, though, they both get on board with the idea that maybe, just maybe, a brain implant that “severs” your consciousness in half for the sake of a corporation might not be a completely benign procedure. At this crucial point, “Severance” gains a sharper focus that drives it forward with a propulsive energy that doesn’t let up until the finale’s last shock of a cliffhanger (which is, without spoiling a thing, big and bold enough to suggest that the writers are confident that a second season will be on its way sooner rather than later).

very excited

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

If there's going to be an actual reveal, as in showing people, there's gotta be a curveball of some kind. One that throws Cobel for a loop and get all weird with someone in MDR.

--edit: Looking the cast up on IMDB and seeing that the Ricken actor has a second undisclosed character name, only next to whoever plays Kier, I guess I'm probably in the right ballpark.

oh poo poo that spoiler lmfao. I have a feeling rewatching the whole season after all the bombs are dropped is going to be fairly satisfying.

they better not gently caress up this landing but at the same time they've done such a good job hyping me the gently caress up that I can't imagine them just suddenly losing the thread and whiffing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lmao if Ricken ends up being an outside-innie who has completely ridiculous views contrasting with his true executive kier self.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm rewatching the series so far to get caught up before things spiral towards the finale, and I feel like there's something to Helly's hair being a slight but noticeably different style in her orientation video, which was allegedly filmed 2 hours earlier

EDIT: Oh, Outtie Helly is definitely a baddie. Milchick knows her, or at least knows OF her and the stairwell scene shows that he is definitely not severed.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 29, 2022

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Hawkperson posted:

I think she was the 'severence is good, actually' pundit in the early tv debate segment, so probably not severed.

I don't see how you could be a quasi-public figure and severed unless it's completely out in the open and you were welcome to see what your innie had been up to in the news. Maybe be their agent?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wouldn't use IMDB as a source here -- particularly since the "second character" Michael Chernus is playing is just a misspelled version of his character's regular name.

IMDB isn't reliable, particularly for information that comes out before the episode airs. For instance, Annie McNamara was credited for every episode this season, despite only appearing in the premier. After each episode came out, her name was dropped from the episode cast to more accurately reflect the characters in the show.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

I think you guys might be reading a little too much into an IMDb inconsistency, sometimes he's credited as "Ricken", sometimes it's written as "Rickon", thus the appearance of the ellipsis indicating a second character. This is also the case with actor credited with "Keir Eagan" and "Kier Egan".

There is one other weird character credit thing out there though, there are an awful lot of articles about the show that refer to Patricia Arquette as "Peggy".

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think Mark and (maybe) Devon might know Gemma is alive. They always use the word "dead" when talking about her to other people, but they don't say that when talking about her alone. I think the accident happened, but she didn't die. Considering Lumon's past as a medical company, I think they offered to save her life in exchange for her being a guinea pig for the severance process. The method wasn't quite perfected yet so something went wrong, and her outtie was permanently suppressed or unable to wake up or something similar. Mark took the job at Lumon so he would see her at least some of the time even if he wouldn't remember it. It would also explain why he was crying in the parking lot but seems pretty together everywhere else, as well as his generally conflicted feelings towards the company and why Ms. Casey is a part-timer.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
A good working theory. The super weird/conflicted way he gets when having to defend the process shows he has a more complicated relationship and opinion of the process beyond being judged for choosing to work there. I also wonder if the circumstances of her injury won't end up being suspicious, if they aren't used as a catalyst or reveal for some other thing that's making Mark feel some extra type of way on top of the tragedy of the accident or "accident."

Also if Gemma is only half-alive because of a brain injury or what have you... I wonder who is the caretaker when she's not "on." Who is cutting/styling her hair, feeding, cleaning, etc? She just at a hospital/they got their own lumon caretakers/something much scarier?

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Khanstant posted:

A good working theory. The super weird/conflicted way he gets when having to defend the process shows he has a more complicated relationship and opinion of the process beyond being judged for choosing to work there. I also wonder if the circumstances of her injury won't end up being suspicious, if they aren't used as a catalyst or reveal for some other thing that's making Mark feel some extra type of way on top of the tragedy of the accident or "accident."

Also if Gemma is only half-alive because of a brain injury or what have you... I wonder who is the caretaker when she's not "on." Who is cutting/styling her hair, feeding, cleaning, etc? She just at a hospital/they got their own lumon caretakers/something much scarier?

I'm under the assumption that she's one of the innies that never leaves that Petey mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
She might live in the houses on petey's map