Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

HazCat posted:

Do not double mask. Wear an N95 that fits you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

BobTheJanitor posted:

Wouldn't be at all surprised if the next killer variant comes out of America, with our new improved science-based 'sure whatever, go have an orgy in a Denny's' policy.

The US isn't the whole world, vaccination rates in developing countries matter far more here than whether the US government closes restaurants or whatever. China is more people and has mostly kept covid under control, with little apparent effect on the pandemic outside of China.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

James Garfield posted:

The US isn't the whole world, vaccination rates in developing countries matter far more here than whether the US government closes restaurants or whatever. China is more people and has mostly kept covid under control, with little apparent effect on the pandemic outside of China.

No, only America has agency in the world. Only America does things that matter.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

James Garfield posted:

You're not wrong that the US is just one particularly bad reservoir out of many, but what would an "apparent" effect on the pandemic outside of China look like? How would you be able to tell?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Stickman posted:

You're not wrong that the US is just one particularly bad reservoir out of many, but what would an "apparent" effect on the pandemic outside of China look like? How would you be able to tell?

That's the point, it doesn't make sense to blame variants on policy in one country.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

freebooter posted:

It's possible to believe that China's COVID policies have so far avoided the death and disruption visited upon most of the world, which is good, and that it's a dystopian ethno-nationalist police state, which is bad. Those are not mutually exclusive statements.

I understand that you have a different opinion than the US group due to a different lived experience, but . . . given the choice, I think a lot of us (in the US) would have preferred something that at least approximated the concept of "leadership" instead of "uh, well, the dollars must flow; godspeed, everyone!".

I, for one, cannot fault the people looking to a place that managed to lock the virus out for the mostpart and say "drat, must be nice."

Sure it's unfortunate that they didn't go all-in on mRNA and push for shots in arms during the time they bought themselves, and those are all valid points! But I think you might be swingin' a bit more for the other fences given your personal distaste for lockdowns, and I think it might be worth evaluating that.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
idk man I have a ton of criticisms of how the US and a ton of other countries handled the pandemic but I'm stunned that china apparently hosed around on getting 2nd and 3rd shots into people in the time they bought themselves.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Herstory Begins Now posted:

idk man I have a ton of criticisms of how the US and a ton of other countries handled the pandemic but I'm stunned that china apparently hosed around on getting 2nd and 3rd shots into people in the time they bought themselves.

Oh yeah no they definitely hosed around in the ninth inning because they thought they won the game and it may very well come back and roundhouse them in the face.

If anything, I feel like that takes even more wind out of the "dystopian authoritarian" narrative because apparently people had a choice on whether to get vaccinated or not and overall they chose "not".

To me, that speaks to a hybrid "do actual lockdowns" and "get shots in arms" is the winning strategy that I . . . don't really know was employed effectively anywhere.

Ultimately, what I see is "we could have done better" as a species and we simply just . . . didn't. :(

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
as far as policy missteps go, China's specific one is not especially egregious: targeting total vaccination % + NPIs to maintain zero community spread, allowing for only minimal local measures and a focus on mainly external border controls. It's still a huge improvement relative to e.g. India's handling of the pandemic

that 80% population coverage in less than one year was hugely costly and obtained only at great effort, and the policy of snap lockdowns were tested during Delta's spread. Yes, there was insufficient focus on seniors in retrospect, but the goals were what they were, and it wasn't long ago that China Cuba etc. were doing victory laps on hitting those WHO population % targets. I don't think it's reasonable to argue for laxity inasmuch as misplaced priorities, esp as Delta tested, and apparently validated, that strategy.

it's arguable that this was a Beijing-centric point of view that underrates the degree to which the southern border or Hong Kong are realistically quite porous - Ruili city on the border with Myanmar spent more of 2021 locked down than not locked down - and conversely underrated the degree of Chinese public anger that would exist once the rest of Asia are opening up. These were foreseeable mid-2021. The emergence of Omicron, on the other hand, seems forgivable for not being taken into account in strategy.

ronya fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 30, 2022

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Zarin posted:

I understand that you have a different opinion than the US group due to a different lived experience, but . . . given the choice, I think a lot of us (in the US) would have preferred something that at least approximated the concept of "leadership" instead of "uh, well, the dollars must flow; godspeed, everyone!".

I, for one, cannot fault the people looking to a place that managed to lock the virus out for the mostpart and say "drat, must be nice."

Sure it's unfortunate that they didn't go all-in on mRNA and push for shots in arms during the time they bought themselves, and those are all valid points! But I think you might be swingin' a bit more for the other fences given your personal distaste for lockdowns, and I think it might be worth evaluating that.

I meant in a general sense - obviously everyone would love to live in a country where most people haven't had to think about COVID aside from the occasional lockdown, but you really don't want to trade a bad pandemic response for a literal dystopian police state with no freedom of speech, religion, movement or media, engaged in multiple cultural genocides. (And obviously there's some correlation between China being a police state and China having superior COVID outcome, but Taiwan and for a long time Australia and NZ achieved the same outcomes as China without being police states, so.)

I think a lot of Americans - and this is, again, putting COVID to one side - see the enormous economic and technological and economic growth of China paired with their own country's vague sense of decline and brush over the whole "repressive dictatorship" thing.

Also I have a "personal distaste" for lockdowns because lockdowns are an awful lesser evil and any rational person has a distaste for them. I supported them when they worked to get us back to COVID-zero, I supported them when that no longer worked but Australia was still dangerously undervaccinated, and I'll support them again in the future if we see some new deadlier variant emerge which looks like it might overwhelm hospitals. Anybody advocating for lockdowns in the West in 2022 needs to explain what their precise purpose is.

Zarin posted:

To me, that speaks to a hybrid "do actual lockdowns" and "get shots in arms" is the winning strategy that I . . . don't really know was employed effectively anywhere.

Um helloooooooooooooo :australia: (also NZ but I don't think we have an emoji for them)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

James Garfield posted:

That's the point, it doesn't make sense to blame variants on policy in one country.

China is nearly 1/5th of the world population. Claiming that it’s obvious that there’s zero difference in pandemic characteristics and mutation opportunities between the present situation and a world where China has massive epidemics is pretty ungrounded, as is the insinuation that the present world situation somehow offers evidence for this counterfactual.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Zarin posted:

Also it's not like China has rejected the needs of capitalism in favor of the health of their people - the story linked above talks about workers literally living in their factories:

quote:

Some factories in China have set up isolated “bubble” systems, an approach comparable to the closed system employed for the Winter Olympics in February, which allowed staff to work during lockdowns as long as they did not leave the premises.

Is that COVID-safer than being free to roam and do whatever like we are/were in America? Yeah sure, I bet so. But having workers live in their factories also incredibly capitalist and dystopian, and not exactly my personal dream situation to be in.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 30, 2022

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Zarin posted:

I definitely think we could have and can do better here in the US, but, looking back over the past 2 years and seeing how much tightening of social and personal bodily control the CCP has ratcheted up in China, I can't say I would have wanted to switch places. No thanks. That level of social control looks nightmarish to me.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Zarin posted:

Outside of Australia, the places that managed to lock the virus out are either small island nations (NZ, Taiwan) or authoritarian countries (China) where "Covid Zero" has simply been an excuse to greatly expand dystopian social control measures. If your thought on the latter is "drat, must be nice" that just means you probably haven't lived in such a place.

That's not to say that USA's response to Covid was somehow better. It was also bad, just in different ways.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Outside of Australia, the places that managed to lock the virus out are either small island nations (NZ, Taiwan) or authoritarian countries (China) where "Covid Zero" has simply been an excuse to greatly expand dystopian social control measures. If your thought on the latter is "drat, must be nice" that just means you probably haven't lived in such a place.

That's not to say that USA's response to Covid was somehow better. It was also bad, just in different ways.

Vietnam was doing pretty good for awhile there too.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Taiwan has about the same population as Australia while being <1% of the area. Also its population is about 4x the global median and around half the average, so it's not like it's some extreme outlier. They've also done some super cool anti-Covid stuff, and it's a shame it hasn't gotten more attention. (Similarly they've done a lot of innovative stuff in political inclusion in recent years that seems way ahead of the curve in safeguarding democracy, but that's for another thread...)

Honestly, I've never been convinced by the arguments about small nations vs. big nations, island vs. non-island. It's not like Covid was predominantly spread over land borders, and large countries have as many advantages as they do disadvantages — domestic vaccine programs, less reliance on trade for essentials, large enough healthcare labor forces to lock down one city and support it with people from another, etc. For decades I've also heard size used as some sort of trump card for China from both critics and fans without any further explanation.

Something we've been recently reminded here in HK in the worst way possible is that success with Covid is a continuous variable. Covid Zero only buys time, and time has to be used wisely (vaccines, building health system capacity, etc.). Otherwise you end up with the situation we have, which is a record death rates from Covid alongside record suicide rates from [take your pick]. The HKSAR government still thinks Covid Zero, or "Dynamic Zero" is a viable goal to get back to, but they have completely lost the population's trust and are just flailing at this point.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Stickman posted:

China is nearly 1/5th of the world population. Claiming that it’s obvious that there’s zero difference in pandemic characteristics and mutation opportunities between the present situation and a world where China has massive epidemics is pretty ungrounded, as is the insinuation that the present world situation somehow offers evidence for this counterfactual.

"no apparent difference" does not mean "obvious", what the gently caress

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

James Garfield posted:

"no apparent difference" does not mean "obvious", what the gently caress

I know this seems pedantic, but there's no grounds to say "no apparent difference" because there's no "different" to compare to nor any attempt to determine what a difference would look. You implied evidence (by claiming "apparent") where there is literally none. That's it.

Saying that China not having the same massive epidemic as the rest of the world has had no impact on the shape of the pandemic is purely made up. We would have to do some serious modeling (while making serious assumptions) to understand the effect of increasing the size of the pandemic by 25%.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 31, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Smeef posted:

Taiwan has about the same population as Australia while being <1% of the area.
Ooh ooh ooh, this brought an interesting demographic statistic to mind, and I am wondering if any of you nerds know if it is exists.

*takes massive bong rip*

Obviously Taiwan has a much higher population density than Australia, but Australia also has millions of square miles of uninhabited wilderness. What I'm thinking of is kind of a second-order population density - that is to say, rather than the average of people per square mile, it's the average people in the square mile around the median citizen...

So like, if country A has a city of 10,000,000 people in a 20 square mile area, and 5,000,000 square miles of total wilderness, it would have an overall population density of 2/sq mile, but the average person would be living in an environment closer to 500,000/sq mile. A country with 10,000,000 people spread out evenly over 100,000 square miles would have a much higher population density of 100/sq mile, and the average citizen would also live in an area close to 100/sq mile.

Such a statistic would be much closer for Australia and Taiwan than straight population density (although I bet Taiwan still comes out ahead easily), and it would correlate better with pandemic challenges. But just, like... is that a metric anybody keeps track of?

"Effective population density" or something.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Smeef posted:

Honestly, I've never been convinced by the arguments about small nations vs. big nations, island vs. non-island.

My favourite counter-example to the idea that being an island gives you an automatic easy advantage is that French Polynesia - one of the most isolated places in the world - has had, by far, the worst per capita COVID deaths in Oceania.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

everybody ready for the next wave? Because it's happening baby.

(I have enjoyed doing a few things with friends the last few weeks. Back to the cave I go).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm the only one at my job still wearing a mask. Started getting snarky comments this week. After all this time I'm fine with keeping it on, just wish people would mind their own business.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LionArcher posted:

everybody ready for the next wave? Because it's happening baby.

(I have enjoyed doing a few things with friends the last few weeks. Back to the cave I go).
Happening as in inevitable, or happening as in happening imminently? I saw that BA.2 just became the dominant strain in the US but cases are still relatively low and flat. Am I missing something?

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
Surprise: Chuds decided that Covid was nbd when they heard that it was killing black people

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1509256380489744385?s=21&t=dktLIFojH_UkiB4hdl1byQ

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

DukeDuke posted:

Surprise: Chuds decided that Covid was nbd when they heard that it was killing black people

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1509256380489744385?s=21&t=dktLIFojH_UkiB4hdl1byQ

Jokes on them that attitude caused a flip in mortality to more white people in red states dying pretty drat quick.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
That's interesting btw because it's basically suggesting that some amount of the anti/nonvax sentiment came about independent of antivax disinfo and was instead just because people didn't give a poo poo about who it was killing. Which is not without precedent, either.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

Herstory Begins Now posted:

That's interesting btw because it's basically suggesting that some amount of the anti/nonvax sentiment came about independent of antivax disinfo and was instead just because people didn't give a poo poo about who it was killing. Which is not without precedent, either.

I think many if not a majority of chuds are primarily against Covid mitigation because it’s killing black people and their “skepticism” about vaccines/masks/etc is just a front they adopted either consciously or unconsciously (most likely the latter because if they were consciously dismissing Covid out of racism they would bother to protect their own white rear end against it but they don’t)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

do you have any actual evidence backing up this claim or are you just repeating a vibe you get.

like there's nothing wrong with vibes but you should probably clarify when youre going for that

e: also if we're talking about what actually helped the prc overcome covid its that the cpc was able to subordinate the interests of capital beneath the interests of the state, a feat that is utterly impossible in america

Mellow Seas posted:

Happening as in inevitable, or happening as in happening imminently? I saw that BA.2 just became the dominant strain in the US but cases are still relatively low and flat. Am I missing something?

traces of BA 2 in wastewater has been seriously ramping up, and that has been the leading indicator for every previous wave

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 31, 2022

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Oracle posted:

Jokes on them that attitude caused a flip in mortality to more white people in red states dying pretty drat quick.

Literally true, also double true when they felt that blue or cities were the ones getting hit worse so they didn't have to worry so gently caress the vaccines and masking.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A big flaming stink posted:

traces of BA 2 in wastewater has been seriously ramping up, and that has been the leading indicator for every previous wave
Ah, certainly worth keeping an eye on.

I feel like a big "trend" (read: I am already seeing a ton of this) with BA.2 is going to be people who are up to date on boosters and already got the first wave of Omicron saying "whatever, it's spring, I have allergies" and just living their lives as if it was 2019. "Willfully ignorant asymptomatic/low symptom cases" will be very high.

It seems like so far wastewater levels have not spiked anywhere near as high as they did in December/January. But considering BA.2 is now the dominant strain, and conditions for it to spread over the next couple of months (aside from vaccination, of course) are probably pretty close to ideal, it certainly remains to be seen whether or not our death rate will continue to fall.

Get your boosters, friends.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I can't believe we are now talking about starting a round of 4th shots and we're still using the loving wild type vaccine. A vaccine tailored to literally any of the 3 dominant variants we've seen would be better for the current dominant strain, and closer to the next dominant strain, than wild type. I really can't comprehend the lack of interest in flexing the major superpower of this MRNA tech that everyone agreed was miraculous just a year or two ago.

My understanding is they should be able to formulate in a matter of days, and run end-to-end safety and efficacy tests in a matter of a few months or less (rather than a year, because it's a minor tweak on an existing thing). The manufacturing process would the same, so it's not like they would need to retool the factories or something. It's just one minor change in one minor input component of the whole process. What am I missing?

thighlandertwo
Jan 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got a sore throat and now headache a few days after being in a movie theater. Wasn't packed and I started masked, but had to remove it as the humidity caused congestion.

No fever, BO level normal, no other symptoms (no nasal symptoms, not even coughing). Ordered my free tests (can't afford to buy tests right now), but even if I have covid I imagine they'll arrive long after the detection window anyway.

I'm actually hoping it's a virus; the alternative would suggest I'm becoming allergic to my cat or some other household allergen. Took an anti-histimine, hasn't done anything for the symptoms, so probably not allergies, though. Spring cold would be preferable to covid, of course.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

DancingMachine posted:

I can't believe we are now talking about starting a round of 4th shots and we're still using the loving wild type vaccine. A vaccine tailored to literally any of the 3 dominant variants we've seen would be better for the current dominant strain, and closer to the next dominant strain, than wild type. I really can't comprehend the lack of interest in flexing the major superpower of this MRNA tech that everyone agreed was miraculous just a year or two ago.

My understanding is they should be able to formulate in a matter of days, and run end-to-end safety and efficacy tests in a matter of a few months or less (rather than a year, because it's a minor tweak on an existing thing). The manufacturing process would the same, so it's not like they would need to retool the factories or something. It's just one minor change in one minor input component of the whole process. What am I missing?

It might be related to stockpiles, or wanting to make sure with the FDA on how to make it easy to do things in a way similar to how we do yearly flu vaccines. It more then likely might be related to that, and because its still an absolutely new tech and how useful the wild type vaccine has been regardless while they do the research needed and go through approval its trivial to get approval for another shot which has been shown to still work.

Omicron also burned through insanely fast, which wasn't something they could have had ready and then out to the masses I think, hell it burnt itself out in my area in the span of literally 7 weeks, with cases really appearing at the beginning of December and largely by February starting to taper off heavily. We are down to under 30 in my hospital system, with no ICU at all now, and the last one was incidental that likely was an old infection (and not related to his issue of aspiration induced hypercapnea)

We may actually see a new shot in the fall with an updated strain type, maybe a dual of delta and omicron (which would be a good thing because you can assume that new strains would be descendants of those) that will be pushed like the flu. Likely we can expect yearly covid shots that are based on the same ideas as a yearly flu shot (with its own risks of did we get the right strains)

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 31, 2022

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

DancingMachine posted:

Apparently wild type vaccine is plenty sufficient against all other variants, and variant-specific vaccines have unfortunately not yielded better results.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/02/monkey-study-casts-doubt-on-need-for-an-omicron-specific-booster/

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

Also average daily cases in NYC have already roughly doubled since a few weeks ago.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Yeah, here in NY I check the numbers daily and they started to creep up last week. I’m prepped for an April/May wave…

I mean, I hope there isn’t one or that it somehow is blunted compared to what we just had in late December, but who knows. People are just done with mask mandates and that scares me.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 31, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean here is some bad data analysis (with a fun visual coincidence!) that I think also gets a pretty clear idea across as to why people are not having any particular panic reaction to BA.2:

NYC Cases:

NYC Deaths:

OK, and here's the stupid but superficially interesting part:

NYC Deaths, Flipped Horizontally and Superimposed on NYC Cases:

Each wave is less deadly than the last because of natural immunity and vaccinations. Obviously these statistics aren't strictly accurate (for example, cases in early 2020 were definitely MUCH higher than recorded cases, and cases in 2022 at least somewhat higher). People are absolutely ready to start treating it like the flu, and that sucks for the small number of people who can't get vaccinated and the large number of people who won't, but here we are.

If case rates go up significantly (I mean, they've doubled in NYC, yes, but after dropping 98%) you will see the masks come out - at least in places that don't have a bizarre cultural stigma against masks.

And gently caress anybody who gives somebody poo poo for wearing a mask, no matter what case levels are. :mad:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Ya, there's a huge gulf between masks on the train (most people still wearing) and the packed bars where everyone is maskless.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Looks like Denny's is popular again down in Georgia...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Are cases even a good measure anymore? At least in BC it seems like most new cases aren't reported as they are giving out rapid tests for free and the messaging is, if you get sick, stay home and don't bother the hospital staff unless you need to