Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Teddybear posted:

Thanks for running it! I am positive I will never do this well again.

Solution to that is simple, redefine success!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Before 8 wins too though.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Thanks Kenning!

Lucked into a decent finish this time around. Kind of underwhelming for winning a special prize since Takakeisho was the worst healthy pick of the Y/O despite the KK and Hoshoryu barely got by, but as mentioned above, that’s about all I was hoping for from him.

Also lucking into Kiribayama did wonders for results but not as satisfying as if my first choices got it done.

some kinda jackal posted:

My strategy for May will be to field an entire of team of folks who don't immediately trigger an emotional response positively or negatively when I read their names.

If they are spaced properly, I’ve already decided that my M picks are going to be the 3 Kotos.

No idea about the Sanyaku guys though. Probably just keep picking Hoshoryu until he crashes and anyone but Shodai is fine.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Lmao

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks for running the fantasy basho Kenning

GoatSeeGuy posted:

lmao.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Teddybear posted:

Thanks for running it! I am positive I will never do this well again.

Big same. Still, managing to run away with the Juryo basho is something to hang my hat on. Personally, my goal is to end one of these with a technique prize at some point; having all five of my guys go KK would feel great, even if it's merely a 8-7 for them all. Basically:

GoatSeeGuy posted:

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Thanks again Kenning! Feel slightly dirty that my trade of Takanosho for Wakatakakage was probably a bigger factor in my finish than my original picks but hey ho! Roll on May.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Thanks again Kenning! Feel slightly dirty that my trade of Takanosho for Wakatakakage was probably a bigger factor in my finish than my original picks but hey ho! Roll on May.

Oh yeah I meant to call that out in the post, that was a magnificent trade.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Thanks Kenning! It was a great basho and my first time finishing dead last! Looking forward to May.

I really wanna see if Wakatakakage can go on an Ozeki run. Abi and Hoshoryu have a shot as well but only one of them is actually going to make it in the near future I think.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Kenning posted:

code:
68.5	Teddybear
65	sivad
64.5	Takuan
61	anakha
60	MyChemicalImbalance
59	captainblastum
58.5	Beeswax
58.5	Netsky
56	Eli949
55.5	Marching Powder
54.5	Banana Canada
54.5	GoatSeeGuy
54.5	scripterror
54.5	Skjorte

Eek! I thought my never-ending goonzeki run was sure to be over when I saw I was ranked fifth on the penultimate day of the basho and ended day 15 3-2 with 1 makekoshi, but also 1 kachikoshi and 1 technique prize. I shall never forgive Wakatakakage for this...

Thanks a bunch for running it, though! Made an exceptionally fun basho even more fun.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Shodai was such a deus ex machina, he'll have to be renamed El-Shodai.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Tanked by Takarafuji and Takanosho :smith: Ah well, next time! Thanks very much for running the fantasy sumo, Kenning!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

context re: Hoshoryu's performance

Khizan posted:

even more context re: Hoshoryu performance

Thanks for these posts, slowly improving my understanding of the sport as we go! I'm very excited to see what the future brings Hoshoryu and mostly just want him to continue to win by executing sick throws.

Thanks for running the fantasy sumo, Kenning, it was a blast!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mode 7 posted:

Man I picked a good basho to start watching sumo. That final bout was incredible, very happy to see Wakatakakage take it as I've thoroughly enjoyed his sumo all throughout this tournament.

Oof, my fantasy stable. Hindsight reveals I should have hard jettisoned Sadanoumi. Tamawashi I think could have easily just gone KK, he seemed wildly inconsistent throughout. Glad that Takakeisho and Hoshoryu got their KK but was expecting a little bit more from Hoshoryu, and super happy with Nishikigi who I thought was a bit of a gamble pick but one that paid off.

Very excited to participate again for the May Basho, I will train hard to improve my brand of fantasy sumo.

Yeah, same on Tamawashi this basho. He looked great in January, and pulled out a kinboshi, not sure what got him so uneven this time.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

Thanks for these posts, slowly improving my understanding of the sport as we go! I'm very excited to see what the future brings Hoshoryu and mostly just want him to continue to win by executing sick throws.

Thanks for running the fantasy sumo, Kenning, it was a blast!

The other big obstacle to look out for is a guy making it to M1-3ish for the first time. Those ranks are usually called the meat grinder because they are some of the hardest ranks to be at. And for new guys, this is usually the first time someone gets to fight the top ranking guys though like Takayasu and Kotonowaka this tourney, they’ll get brought up if they are in the hunt late.

Because they obviously want to save the high profile intra-sanyaku matchups for the end, the high M guys usually get to run the Sanyaku gauntlet for the first week, so they are expected to get smashed early and it’s not uncommon to see guys start 1-5 or something, which could then lead to poor morale for week 2, especially for people not used getting beat down. Even Teru was 6-9 in his first attempt at M1. The only current Sanyaku that went 8-7 in his first try was Takanosho.

There are a few guys like Ichinojo and Daiesho that seem to have found their level hanging around upper Makuuchi/Komsubi but it’s much more common to see guys bounce in and out of those ranks all the time because if they drop down a couple ranks, they get a dramatically easier schedule.

As an example next tourney, I’m still going to pick him, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Kotonowaka struggles.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, same on Tamawashi this basho. He looked great in January, and pulled out a kinboshi, not sure what got him so uneven this time.

Tamawashi is 37, and hasn't missed a day of sumo (1421 bouts) in 18 years. It's astonishing that he's still fighting in the upper maegashira and pulling out kinboshi. He's been in makuuchi since 2013 without dropping into juryo. The man is a legend.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Btw, if you want another poor suffering sumo guy to root for going forward, consider this:

- the youngest son of the Onami family just won his first, brilliant yusho, his hand on the cup, his portrait in the hall, the promise of much more to come
- the middle son of the Onami family by dint of solid effort pushed his way up to makuuchi for the first time this year and just secured his second successive kachikoshi there while
hitting the halfway mark of tourneys needed to secure an elder stock

- the eldest son of the Onami family went 3-4 at Ms13, the highest rank he'd managed since his historic best of Ms7 three and a half years ago. He's past 30 now.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Just happy I managed a decent score despite having the Rikishi with the worst record in years. 1-14 without any kyujo days is impressively terrible.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

My fantasy stable was horrible at the start and merely kinda meh by the end but the basho was very entertaining and that's what counts :)

Many thanks as always to Kenning for running this thing, it's lots of fun

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm torn between going fantasy intai or becoming fantasy Hattorizakura.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Just change your shikona and the color of your mawashi and gambarize.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Shiroc posted:

I'm torn between going fantasy intai or becoming fantasy Hattorizakura.

You can join me in being fantasy Tokushoryu.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I did so bad in fantasy this basho :negative:

I vow to continue my brand of sumo in May but without stinkers like Sadanoumi, who did in fact make me sad

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

There's this crew of yeoman rikishi in the lower/mid maegashira ranks that are always like 8-7 and 7-8 and I feel like every time I draft one of them they go like 1-14 inexplicably even though I know they'd at least break even most bashos.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Thanks to Kenning, as always, for running the fantasy basho. Glad to see Takayasu carried me to only a slight demotion instead of tumbling down the rankings like Ura.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Kenning posted:

Special shout out to Tiny Bug Child who ended up with my identical team. You've got great taste.

Great minds think alike :respek: Feels like we underperformed for getting all kachi-koshis though. So many 8-7s from guys I figured would do better, like Abi. I really thought he would be a contender but he kind of fell apart once he had to face the upper-level guys that know how to deal with him.

On the other hand the sky's the limit for Wakatakakage now, I think. I skipped him in the draft because I wasn't sure if he was ready for the upper ranks given that his only other sanyaku record was 5-10 from komusubi, but he sure proved me wrong. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go on an ozeki run and if he does really outstanding next basho he might even get it then, though I get the impression the old men are more willing to let a run that starts at M1 slide when they're running low on ozeki, which definitely isn't the case now.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Tiny Bug Child posted:

On the other hand the sky's the limit for Wakatakakage now, I think. I skipped him in the draft because I wasn't sure if he was ready for the upper ranks given that his only other sanyaku record was 5-10 from komusubi, but he sure proved me wrong. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go on an ozeki run and if he does really outstanding next basho he might even get it then, though I get the impression the old men are more willing to let a run that starts at M1 slide when they're running low on ozeki, which definitely isn't the case now.

Takakeisho went 9-6/13-2Y/11-4J with the 9-6 from Komsubi and they still didn’t give it to him until he followed up with another 10-5, so he’d might need 12 and a junyusho to even be in consideration. Takakeisho was only 22 so maybe they were harder on him to prove he wasn’t a fluke, but he had a better start from a better position than WTK.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, it's felt like they've been relatively stingy with ozeki promotions lately, and I don't expect that to change too much atm.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Not everybody can be on Shodai's level, let's be real.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Vargatron posted:

There's this crew of yeoman rikishi in the lower/mid maegashira ranks that are always like 8-7 and 7-8 and I feel like every time I draft one of them they go like 1-14 inexplicably even though I know they'd at least break even most bashos.

That's me and Wakatakakage. Took him steadily most of last year, middling bashos. Didn't take him this basho, takes home the Yusho.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Shiroc posted:

Not everybody can be on Shodai's level, let's be real.

The People's Hero got it with 32, and a Yusho.

Then immediately went Kadoban because that's how he rolls.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Super early gimmick team for next time:

I was thinking of going all-Koto. But I couldn’t think of how to tie the Sanyaku in so I think a bloodlines team would work if the banzuke makers allow.

Y/O: no one is directly related to anyone else but Takakeisho’s wife is the daughter of a former Ozeki and stable master (he died when she was a kid). He now lives in the old stable building with his wife and mother in law so he has his own private dohyo.

S/K: both WTK for his brothers and Hoshoryu for his uncle would work. Asahoryu is obviously better than Waka’s brothers, so he’d be the pick for the stronger bloodline, but both brothers on the team would be the better gimmick.

M1-5: Kotonowaka should be here. Dad was Sekiwake and current stable master, granddad was Yokozuna and previous boss

M6-10: banzuke makers could really mess this up. Wakamotoharu and Tobizaru (brother of Hidenoumi in Juryo) could work, but they might also get bumped into M4-5 which would kill the gimmick.

M11+: Oho, grandson of Taiho and son of former Sekiwake and current professional troublemaker Tokatoriki was 10-5 at J10e

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

GoatSeeGuy posted:

The People's Hero got it with 32, and a Yusho.

Then immediately went Kadoban because that's how he rolls.

One day, Shodai will put it together for a year, be a consistent competitor and win two consecutive yushos. After heavily contentious deliberation, they promote him to Yokozuna. He pulls out of the first tournament with a 0-5-10.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

A Team of Babies for Natsu could be fun.

Y/O: Takakeisho
S/K: Hoshoryu
M1-5: Kotonowaka
M6-10: Kotohosho
M11+: Oho

That's actually a really good slate, drat.

What about a Team of Geriatrics?

Y/O: Terunofuji
S/K: Daieisho
M1-5: Tamawashi
M6-10: Takarafuji
M11+ Myogiryu

That is much less promising.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Shiroc posted:

One day, Shodai will put it together for a year, be a consistent competitor and win two consecutive yushos. After heavily contentious deliberation, they promote him to Yokozuna. He pulls out of the first tournament with a 0-5-10.

Ichinojo will become my favourite wrestler if he ever decides to try long enough to make Ozeki before instantly embracing the ultimate lazy sumo of alternating 8-7/0-0-15.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Other slates:

The Comeback Kings:

S/K: Abi
M1-5: Takanosho (with bazuke luck) or Onosho
M6-10: Ura
M11+: Meisei

Odds skeptical but not unreasonable.

Continuing The Streak:

Y/O: Mitakeumi
S/K: Wakatakakage
M1-5: Takayasu
M6-10: Tobizaru/Wakamotoharu?

Not a bad slate all told.

I think the Team of Babies is the best gimmick so far though.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Kenning posted:

Other slates:

The Comeback Kings:

S/K: Abi
M1-5: Takanosho (with bazuke luck) or Onosho
M6-10: Ura
M11+: Meisei

Odds skeptical but not unreasonable.

Continuing The Streak:

Y/O: Mitakeumi
S/K: Wakatakakage
M1-5: Takayasu
M6-10: Tobizaru/Wakamotoharu?

Not a bad slate all told.

I think the Team of Babies is the best gimmick so far though.

I might like the comeback team more than the streak team. Even ignoring Teru over Mita, I think Takanosho, Ura and Meisei are all going to have good tourneys next time. Taka’s spent too much time in Sanyaku to be bad enough to have 2 horrible tourneys in a row especially if he drops out of joi completely. And in general, guys getting wrecked are usually at or near their career best ranks, so they’d be dropping back down into ranks where they’ve proven they can win at before.

On the other side, everyone is going to be fighting at either new career high ranks like Wakamotoharu or ranks where they haven’t shown they can win before/any more like Takayasu.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Enjoying these themed teams, I've been toying with going full cruiserweight for a basho but it's a bit of a fudge at the top, calling Shodai or Takakeisho a cruiserweight sort of kills it right off.

Maybe the next banzuke will be kinder to my smol sumo team - Midorifuji could be in makuuchi next time right? :hmmyes:

MyChemicalImbalance fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Since Asanoya is currently Makushita #2 (with one more suspension to go), do you think his Oyakata is making him do all the cooking and cleaning again?