Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

How does world's best compare to Dr. Elsey's? Can any users weigh in? It seems substantially more expensive by weight, but does it actually last longer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Elvis_Maximus posted:

For some reason, my litter robot periodically just stops rotating on it's own. Other than that, it's absolutely fantastic honestly

It's not a big deal to just press the button as I walk by, since it's between my home office and the bathroom anyway, but I wish I could fix it. I keep meaning to send them a support request.. cause I'm presuming I just need to pop it open and give something a good cleaning on the pressure sensor. It still triggers if I push on it so I presume it's just a sensitivity thing due to grime build up
I will say that for all its praises, you want to strip it down at least quarterly and give it a good clean because it has a bunch of sensors which can get dusty or even rusty (concentrated urea is bad for exposed metal bits, this is my surprise face :geno:) and I've become quite adept at basically field stripping the sucker to its constituent bits.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

xzzy posted:

I seriously question the necessity of tracking a cat's water intake, especially if most of their diet comes from wet food (and a high wet food diet will really diminish the value of any data that's collected). But I'm no doctor so so maybe they find that information valuable.

It depends? Like, I've got two 19yo cats; one of them has bad depth perception, which means she can't always see the water in her bowl. Despite getting extra water w/ her twice a day wet food, she needed three ER trips recently for things that my vet ultimately traced to dehydration. (Dehydration > depression > not eating > other health issues) So now she gets fluid therapy once a day and is back to her normal self. Yeah, don't sleep on it if you're cat's water bowl volume never really changes.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There Bias Two posted:

How does world's best compare to Dr. Elsey's? Can any users weigh in? It seems substantially more expensive by weight, but does it actually last longer?

I think World's Best - well, the red unscented multi-cat at least - lasts longer than any clay litter I've tried (Dr. Elsey's a couple of times, Fresh Step, Tidy Cats). That's not really the draw for me, though - it track less and is somewhat less dusty than clay litters. I do sometimes mix it with 1/3 clay litter to help with absorbency, which isn't normally a problem except if your cats like to randomly gently caress off out of the litterbox and leave an uncovered piss puddle behind, or if they're morons who paw at the sides of the litterbox instead of at the actual litter.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
We use Special Kitty multi-cat. All the cats insist on using Perdy's box in our bedroom at least once a day. I have to do a full change at least once every 3 days because Special Kitty sucks rear end.

Princess will shiss on our bed if we use anything else. Not even loving TidyCats :negative:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

D34THROW posted:

We use Special Kitty multi-cat. All the cats insist on using Perdy's box in our bedroom at least once a day. I have to do a full change at least once every 3 days because Special Kitty sucks rear end.

Princess will shiss on our bed if we use anything else. Not even loving TidyCats :negative:

Aldi's generic litter was the only litter all 3 of our cats would use. Now that the problem cat has passed on, I should probably start branching out because the survivors are a lot less finicky.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My cat apparently got hungry enough to start licking/trying to eat one of the stains off my shirt :negative: What are you doing cat

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Raenir Salazar posted:

My cat apparently got hungry enough to start licking/trying to eat one of the stains off my shirt :negative: What are you doing cat

It smelled good, my cat will do that sometimes, and frankly I can't say that I blame her for wanting to taste the meat juice on my shirt.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

One of mine will lick specifically the armpits of any recently worn shirt left in the open near her. It's, ah, weird..

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

explosivo posted:

One of mine will lick specifically the armpits of any recently worn shirt left in the open near her. It's, ah, weird..

It's probably the high salt content from sweat that she's after.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Whenever the wife and I get any sort of like...real chicken, not nuggets and whatnot, Prinny practically assaults us to get shreds. She just loves the poo poo :shrug:

And then Fartie will straight up steal chicken nuggets when the kids aren't looking and half-eat them on the floor. She also does it with hot dogs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

explosivo posted:

We don't get that, but one will go loving bonkers if you drop a pair of dirty pants on the floor. She'll roll around on it (I assume a scent marking thing) and tunnel into the legs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

D34THROW posted:

Whenever the wife and I get any sort of like...real chicken, not nuggets and whatnot, Prinny practically assaults us to get shreds. She just loves the poo poo :shrug:

And then Fartie will straight up steal chicken nuggets when the kids aren't looking and half-eat them on the floor. She also does it with hot dogs.

My roommate's cat Lucy :rip: would steal chicken wing bones out of the trash can. There were many mornings where I'd find her in the middle of the living room going to town on a wing. Why my roommate wouldn't just throw them in the lidded trash can, I'll never know, but that would have totally prevented that issue.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

My roommate's cat Lucy :rip: would steal chicken wing bones out of the trash can. There were many mornings where I'd find her in the middle of the living room going to town on a wing. Why my roommate wouldn't just throw them in the lidded trash can, I'll never know, but that would have totally prevented that issue.

Cooked bones are super dangerous for pets too. :ohdear:

They can splinter and perforate the intestines.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

xzzy posted:

Cooked bones are super dangerous for pets too. :ohdear:

They can splinter and perforate the intestines.

She wasn't eating the bones luckily, just the little bit of meat and sauce leftover

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sage goes absolutely hog wild for deli meat, especially ham and turkey, and both of them go bonkers for cheese

Like Sage begs incredibly hard for it, almost more than his daily wet food treat. It's nut

We left a container of ricotta open once by accident while we were eating dinner and came back to Pavarotti literally sticking his face in it and eating as fast as he could before we could catch him. He pulled his head out and had ricotta on his whiskers and cheeks

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
I think it's like the legends about tigers who develop a taste for human flesh. Once a house cat gets into human food they like, you're done, that's it, you will never enjoy this thing in peace again. My partner had to feed her old cat yogurt for a bit to deal with some digestive issues when he was a kitten. For the next 19 years, every morning when she was eating yogurt, he was right there trying to stick his head into the bowl or container. He'd climb all over anybody who had it, mewing and meowing and giving little head butts until the yogurt was brought in range for a lick, or the person got up / pushed him off onto the floor. His insistence was endearing but also annoying at the time. Now that he's gone I kind of miss it, but not enough to get our current cats used to that sort of thing :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It is cute to watch them go apeshit for stuff and we will give our one cat that enjoys human food a small bite once a week or so, but anything with salt (and probably lots of other additives humans love) in it is pretty bad for kitties. If the vet does a blood test there's a value (who's name I've completely forgotten) that they infer is caused by eating human food, and if the value is over 30 or so they start to scold you.

It happens, and most cats live long healthy life stealing snacks but it makes me think twice (or thrice) every single time.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

gloom posted:

I think it's like the legends about tigers who develop a taste for human flesh. Once a house cat gets into human food they like, you're done, that's it, you will never enjoy this thing in peace again. My partner had to feed her old cat yogurt for a bit to deal with some digestive issues when he was a kitten. For the next 19 years, every morning when she was eating yogurt, he was right there trying to stick his head into the bowl or container. He'd climb all over anybody who had it, mewing and meowing and giving little head butts until the yogurt was brought in range for a lick, or the person got up / pushed him off onto the floor. His insistence was endearing but also annoying at the time. Now that he's gone I kind of miss it, but not enough to get our current cats used to that sort of thing :)

I don't even have to have the can of tuna open yet, the second Mel hears the sound of me putting the type of bowl I use for it down on the counter she sprints from wherever she is in the house to beg for some pieces. I at least managed to establish something of a ritual around it where I ignore her until I've fully finished making the salad and then put a few chunks of unseasoned tuna on the can lid and lay it down for her to eat.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My cat Dinah, knows when I'm making a sandwich because it usually involves lunchmeat, definitely goes apeshit about it. I'll tear off a small piece and give it to her, and she leaves me alone most of the time.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

xzzy posted:

It is cute to watch them go apeshit for stuff and we will give our one cat that enjoys human food a small bite once a week or so, but anything with salt (and probably lots of other additives humans love) in it is pretty bad for kitties. If the vet does a blood test there's a value (who's name I've completely forgotten) that they infer is caused by eating human food, and if the value is over 30 or so they start to scold you.

It happens, and most cats live long healthy life stealing snacks but it makes me think twice (or thrice) every single time.
Nah nah, we don't feed ours any human food, and even Shiva only got yogurt initially because it was suggested by the vet. After that, breakfast every day became a fun game of "keep the cup away from the increasingly insistent, loud cat who doesn't mind using his claws to climb up your body and arm to reach the sweet sweet cultured dairy".

Fortunately we don't eat lunchmeat or any meat really so that's one fewer thing to distract our cats now. It's enough of a hassle keeping them off the kitchen counters when their canned food is brought out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

gloom posted:

Nah nah, we don't feed ours any human food, and even Shiva only got yogurt initially because it was suggested by the vet. After that, breakfast every day became a fun game of "keep the cup away from the increasingly insistent, loud cat who doesn't mind using his claws to climb up your body and arm to reach the sweet sweet cultured dairy".

Fortunately we don't eat lunchmeat or any meat really so that's one fewer thing to distract our cats now. It's enough of a hassle keeping them off the kitchen counters when their canned food is brought out.

Sorry, wasn't being accusatory. Just spouting general advice that no one asked for. :v:

Your post just happened to be the one above it.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Just leaving these two guys here. (Orange = Squiggles, Box = Pound Cake)

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Kimchi has known the taste of yoghurt and cheese and we'll never hear the end of it, she sniffs the air like a cartoon character when it's near and will beg incessantly. Katya knows when I'm making a ramen lunch because when I have some I'll put frozen shrimp in it and I gave her some one time. Well, maybe a few times. What I'm saying is this is absolutely my own fault.

e: found the pic

https://twitter.com/invisiblemonkey/status/1422866373689192452?s=20&t=qrqzeK8rKkxUyoG4bkKv5g

InvisibleMonkey fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 1, 2022

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
I guess a fringe benefit of being a vegan is that my cat mostly ignores my food now that she's an adult, except sauerkraut which she desperately wants but may not have.

It was a different story when she was a kitten. She once chewed open a cardboard container of quick oats to taste.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Our last cat would beg like crazy for stuff like chicken or fish or turkey lunchmeat, we made the mistake of giving her some once or two and then it was forever. She was always satisfied after a small bite or two though. Also had a cat that would go bonkers trying to get to stuff like ice cream or cream cheese, even though we never gave her anything like that. Same with salty stuff like popcorn or cheese curls, we never actually gave her any but for whatever reason she'd practically crawl down our throats trying to get certain foods.

Our current kittens seem to have very little interest in human food and don't beg, although I accidentally left a stick of butter uncovered on the counter one night and in the morning it was covered in little cat tongue prints :3:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
My mom’s cat when young went batshit for broccoli and our last cat for popcorn, like sprint into the kitchen trilling when she heard the popping. Harold has yet to react to any people food beyond initial curiosity though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We had a popcorn loving cat for a while too. Sometimes cats like stuff they shouldn't, because cats gonna cat.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

xzzy posted:

We had a popcorn loving cat for a while too. Sometimes cats like stuff they shouldn't, because cats gonna cat.

Haha yeah silly cats

Continues eating a donut.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Mother gently caress.

So about a year and a half ago, my cat Bug had a big issue where she started making GBS threads everywhere. Just runny poop she'd strain a bit, and let plop everywhere. So she was confined to my room, which is now her room, which she likes, because only a few other cats can get in. But then the poops came back; the vet said her stool was fine, nothing was wrong with her physically, was a behavior thing.

I ended up putting shower curtain liners down in my room for easy cleanup. Some days there'd be one mess, sometimes a week without any. Changed her diet slowly, got her a new litter box, got a second litter box, replaced the first when she stopped using it, finally got everything worked out and no new messes. I haven't had shower curtains down on my floor for about nine months. She still stays in my room, and only one other cat sometimes comes in and sleeps there.

Then today, two messes on the floor. No change in food or litter or anything. Her litter box was clean. She saw me see the mess, and took off. At this point I don't know what else to do. Last checkup, vet again said she was fine, no obstructions, nothing to indicate pain or stress. She eats fine and plays fine and sleeps fine. gently caress, I even had goddamn pet acupuncture done last year.

What is the drat problem?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

xzzy posted:

Was it buttered popcorn? Cats like dairy. Sometimes I will let my cats lick a cheeze-nip they never crunch it just lick it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah it was buttery popcorn. We’d usually give her a kernel or two since it was generally only once or twice a month.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Cowslips Warren posted:

Mother gently caress.

So about a year and a half ago, my cat Bug had a big issue where she started making GBS threads everywhere. Just runny poop she'd strain a bit, and let plop everywhere. So she was confined to my room, which is now her room, which she likes, because only a few other cats can get in. But then the poops came back; the vet said her stool was fine, nothing was wrong with her physically, was a behavior thing.

I ended up putting shower curtain liners down in my room for easy cleanup. Some days there'd be one mess, sometimes a week without any. Changed her diet slowly, got her a new litter box, got a second litter box, replaced the first when she stopped using it, finally got everything worked out and no new messes. I haven't had shower curtains down on my floor for about nine months. She still stays in my room, and only one other cat sometimes comes in and sleeps there.

Then today, two messes on the floor. No change in food or litter or anything. Her litter box was clean. She saw me see the mess, and took off. At this point I don't know what else to do. Last checkup, vet again said she was fine, no obstructions, nothing to indicate pain or stress. She eats fine and plays fine and sleeps fine. gently caress, I even had goddamn pet acupuncture done last year.

What is the drat problem?

How many cats do you have? Is there any possibility of stress/anxiety?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My childhood cat would go nuts for the cheese powder on Doritos. You'd give her a chip and she'd poo poo there and cheerfully lick it all off.

I also had a biology prof who opened a lecture about different types of teeth with an anecdote about how his cat loved lettuce so goddamn much and would steal it from the fridge to eat it, but because she has cat teeth she would end up trying to eat it with her molars, and cat molars are like little scissors meant to cutting off bits of meat. The end result was Lettuce Everywhere.

This is a very good teaching anecdote because now I just know how obligate carnivore molars work.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

This loving cat eats EVERYTHING. Any human food she will beg and steal: eggs, pasta, goldfish crackers, fish, bacon, beef, rice, broccoli, peas, ice cream, doritos, cheese....

She once jumped up and loving stole an entire sweet potato fry, ran far enough away that I couldn't reach her, and proceeded to eat the entire drat thing while staring at me.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

RoboRodent posted:

My childhood cat would go nuts for the cheese powder on Doritos. You'd give her a chip and she'd poo poo there and cheerfully lick it all off steal it

I'm imagining a cat making GBS threads at the sight of a dorito and giggling.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mcmagic posted:

Update on Catte that my other cat rescued.

He's a very good little guy. He went to the vet and it turns out he's 2 months old not 1. He does have a URI which he's on antibiotics for and he had signs of having fleas in the past but not any longer. He isn't hissing or biting at all and hasn't since the day after we got him and I can see his energy coming back slowly which must have been sapped by the URI. I'm also pretty sure one of my friends will take him once he's vaccinated so it seems like a good outcome for all parties.

So this happened about 5 years ago and the above little dude is now a giant lazy chonker who lives with a work friend of mine.

Much to my surprise i had a virtually identical guest in my backyard this week who had been coming around for a few days. Once I realized he was friendly I grabbed him and he's going to be fattened up, dewormed and i'm going to find a home for him. It might be the case that he belongs to someone but if I find an undernourished, unfixed, unchipped super friendly cat with ticks all over him I'm not going to put much effort into find out if he has an owner.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I'm imagining a cat making GBS threads at the sight of a dorito and giggling.

... Oops

Yes, let's leave that typo as is.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

awww mcmagic :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Hello. I'm about 4 days out from welcoming a 9-week-old kitten into my second floor flat (third floor apartment in the US). To justify: outdoor cats are the norm here in the UK, and shelters and rescues will absolutely refuse to rehome to indoor homes. We absolutely didn't want to adopt a cat who has previously had free access to outside and would suffer from being permanently inside. I wanted to go for two kittens, but was shut down by landlord. Fortunately, I'm in a situation where someone will be home with cat pretty much all the time. That said:

What have I possibly missed in preparing for incoming baby? All cables are covered with protectors and not dangling. We have a tall cat tree, several scratch posts, and multiple covered beds as hiding spots. Many toys that will be rotated in and out. Two litter boxes. Windows have restrictors. No dangerous plants. No ropes or bag handles he could catch on. Everything fragile is on a high shelf or removed. If you can think of anything else that might be an issue in a standard living room with a dining table area, please let me know. He'll be in this one large room until he's a bit older.

Also trying to go for a varied diet - if anyone in the UK has input? Blink and Cool Cat Club for wet food, Lily's Kitchen for dry? He's currently on Whiskas kitten for everything which will not continue

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 4, 2022