Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

They used to switch off all the ATMs for at least 2 hours when the clocks went back, I'm not sure if any still do, but it was definitely over the stupidity of someone withdrawing money at 1.30am and then at 1.15am 45min later, even though the master log would have each line in UTC at some point.

Computers count in seconds from january 1 1970 so that's a more display issue than a Y2K bug thing.

82 is the atomic number of lead which is a substance inside our brains.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

New Fudge Released!

Greetings fudge fans! Easter draws near, and with it the prime sweetie-gorging season of the year. And of course, we've got a lovely selection of naughtiness for you to enjoy- some returning easter specials, some old favourites and a couple of completely new flavours to treat yourself with!

Current Flavours

Eggstremely Naughty
- Chocolate fudge with creme eggs embedded within. For when you truly long to slip into a sugar-induced coma..
Most Eggscellent- Chocolate fudge with a frankly unwise amount of Cadbury's mini-eggs mixed through it.
Oh Baby!- A new creation! Lemon flavoured fudge cradling mixed flavour jelly babies for an amazing multi-fruit flavour burst
Raspberry- Another new invention! Raspberry fudge with a generous ripple of organic raspberry pieces for a lovely mixture of tart and sweet.
The Great Divider (Terry's Chocolate Orange)
Original Vanilla
Gilded Rose
Daimomite
Pretzelicious
Salted Caramel
Unicorn Barf

All stock is live and available at https://www.fudjit.co.uk for £3.50 per 100g bar +P&P. And as always, use the goon code 'Roastbeefisbest' to get 5-for-4 at checkout!

Get fudged!

Camrath fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 29, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Are the jelly babies whole, encased in fudge like fossils (?) trapped in tar pits? Or all chopped up like a murderer trying to hide a body?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Are the jelly babies whole, encased in fudge like fossils (?) trapped in tar pits? Or all chopped up like a murderer trying to hide a body?

Tar pits. I'm not a monster.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Computers count in seconds from january 1 1970 so that's a more display issue than a Y2K bug thing.
Unix ones do, but I saw half of these throwing Windows CE errors.

They should all be getting a time sync signal from either GPS or the cell network either way and every transaction should be stamped, but they still shut down, and shutting down every cash machine in a city at 1am on a Saturday night right near Halloween has caused far more trouble in the 90s/00s than any amount of good that daylight savings has ever done.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh hey, it's five years since the brexit vote apparently.

Post edited because I am a dick.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 30, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

what a daft post bobby

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

CW: Transphobia, rape, Tories

https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1509074626554601473?t=Y2LWOGmkkyIntm_mQiBlsw&s=19

https://twitter.com/JamieWallisMP/status/1508984487102844931?t=oFkYTcFjeEwx3ue_6Xw4zQ&s=19

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 30, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The trouble with spoilering a tweet is now I have to visit twitter to see it and I can't be bothered

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
You always own the option of not reading the tweet. Leave them alone.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It does look like the next election is shaping up to be one where culture war issues are pushed hard to distract from the state of the economy etc. You'd think that Labour would get round to having some effective answers to these sorts of questions at some point but as long as their response is a hunted expression and awkward prevarication, interviewers are going to keep gleefully asking them.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Nobody should have to see Matt Chorley

Horrific.

Edit: oh the tories are going to use the Labour party's overt right-wing bigoted wing to get them to beat themselves to death with infighting again? Who could have predicted that having a bunch of cunts indistinguishable from the tories on your side isn't a broad tent so much as an invitation to self destruction?

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 30, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The funniest thing about the Brexit vote is that the people who were pushing the idea the hardest that every Leave voter was a skinhead nationalist wrapped in the flag have also been the loudest crying about "Brexit will make Britain less relevant and less wealthy and less able to be a world power and bomb people we don't like :qq:"

And often trying to shoehorn 'more unequal' in there as if it's related to the above. We could go for more equal if we stopped trying to swing our dick everywhere and settled for being a third rate power you fubpee britnat cocks.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Keith having fully distanced himself from what was once his only idea, "we'll fix our trade relationship with the EU back to something sensible" might be a decent policy by the next election.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Genuinely sad to see the kind of self-hatred that would make a trans person join a party of evil transphobes. Of course that's both major parties tho

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Genuinely sad to see the kind of self-hatred that would make a trans person join a party of evil transphobes. Of course that's both major parties tho

I think its all major parties tbh, and most minor parties too.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

I think its all major parties tbh, and most minor parties too.

Fair, and I also pre-emptively accept that it might be more than just self-hatred, that's a simplistic and reductive analysis, transition is complex and I'm just a regular cis boyo looking in from the outside, and so on. But still, it can't help with the self -esteem

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Well, 'computers' don't, Unix specifically does (DOS counts from 1980 iirc), and I believe a struct timespec has a tv_nsec member as well as tv_sec :colbert: Cash machines down my way 20 years ago used to run OS/2 so who knows when they counted from.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Both Windows and COBOL (which the master logs would have probably used) use January 1st 1601 as the start of their epoch.

Looking it up the comment is amusing and makes NT sound even older than it is "1601 was the first year of the 400-year Gregorian calendar cycle at the time Windows NT was made."

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Isn't there a Unix "Y2K" due in 2032 or 2038?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Actualy not sure how Labour members approach this, the SNP tore itself apart for a couple of years on this issue before the pro-trans grassroots finally shamed the leadership into adopting an... acceptable position (like in no way is the SNP now good on trans rights but at least the leadership come out an say the right things when pressed enough on it). In all honesty though they got lucky that the noisiest transphobes in the membership crossover with the noisy Alex Salmond stans, and pretty much all of them self purged (notable exception being the litigious barrister who walks a very careful line on their transphobic views, and will definitely sue you if you say otherwise publicly).

I can't see any scenario though where the transphobic wing of Labour voluntarily remove themselves from the party, and the leadership sure as poo poo don't seem interested in listening to the membership.

edit: also what the gently caress with the weather, its sunny here right now but I also just saw some random flakes of snow.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Mar 30, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

One of the systems I use stores null dates as 01-01-1753 for some reason, not sure what the significance is there.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Isn't there a Unix "Y2K" due in 2032 or 2038?
Yes, 2038, when the date becomes too large to be represented by a signed 32-bit integer.

It's been known about since before Y2k, so it'll probably be fixed in a way that everyone agrees on by about 2040.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Still doesn't explain the power cuts in bits of Ilford, Greenwich and Hammersmith(?!) that seem to be connected, and have all now somewhat ominously changed on the UKPN site from a breezy "We expect power to be restored by 1500" to a rather less breezy "To Be Confirmed".

Little Ilford haver here, no power cuts that I noticed personally but my internet was mostly out all yesterday so who knows if that's related.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

sebzilla posted:

One of the systems I use stores null dates as 01-01-1753 for some reason, not sure what the significance is there.

That’s the earliest value SQL server can store in the old Datetime format (Datetime2 goes back to year 0). I think it’s a Gregorian calendar thing again, though can’t quite remember the details.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Lil' Wesley manages to offer solidarity to a trans Tory and be transphobic on a racist radio station in about an hour.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Guavanaut posted:

It's been known about since before Y2k, so it'll probably be fixed in a way that everyone agrees on by about 2040.

climate change has entered the chat

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Aphex- posted:

i don't think many people are actively making much money from the production of 32 bit integers, though, so the problem will merely be solved much too late rather than not at all

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Aphex- posted:

Well being fair us all being dead from climate collapse would solve the issue.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

i don't think many people are actively making much money from the production of 32 bit integers
have u heard about crypto

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm mining 32 bit integers right now. PM me if you want to buy one. Just to prove I'm not lying, here's one for free to whoever can claim it first: 393675553

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm mining 32 bit integers right now. PM me if you want to buy one. Just to prove I'm not lying, here's one for free to whoever can claim it first: 393675553

you lying poo poo that's clearly a 64 bit one, I can see the empty zeroes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think the safe bet is that Labour is going to continue to be a dumpster fire with literally no idea what to do on any issue that they can't blame on the left.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think the safe bet is that Labour is going to continue to be a dumpster fire with literally no idea what to do on any issue that they can't blame on the left.

good news about the trans panic culture war!!

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Labour has more important things to do.

https://skwawkbox.org/2022/03/29/labour-tailors-new-expulsion-rules-to-protect-right-winger-akehurst/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
cw: mumsnet
https://twitter.com/setoacnna/status/1509072452739112962

Looking forward to the MumsBumps horror anthology with such greats as "I saw a tall lady waiting for the toilet"

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

On a positive note

quote:

Logically concluded that, despite uncovering the bot network inflating the popularity of #KeepPrisonsSingleSex, it isn’t sure who was behind it, or why these people did what they did. What we do know is that trans people – and, in particular, trans women – have long been a disproportionate obsession of the UK media. And this report is one case of many showing just how disproportionate that obsession is.

https://www.newstatesman.com/intern...-you-to-believe

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Guavanaut posted:

cw: mumsnet
https://twitter.com/setoacnna/status/1509072452739112962

Looking forward to the MumsBumps horror anthology with such greats as "I saw a tall lady waiting for the toilet"

literally exactly the same poo poo as segregation America, apartheid South Africa, any Western society in the last two hundred years re: gay people, etc., etc., etc.

I went to the toilet and there was a black woman :ohdear: I hid in the cubicle until I was certain she was gone

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

100% guaranteed that Lukey lost that debate and has been itching to proscribe them ever since. Same as Margaret Hodge's longstanding feud with Corbyn being traced to a debate in the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I do that with just other men in the men's