Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

When you form a hybrid culture how does the change work? I formed one in my Moors game and only about 10 total provinces flipped in an empire stretching from Marrakesh to the edges of Paris. Pretty much every direct vassal changed, but do I have to wait for them or myself to convert each province?

I'm just about done achievement hunting in that game so it's fine either way, I'd just like to know for the future if I want to try for them when my realm is as small as it can be or if it's somewhat random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

The new culture will appear in an area where the two cultures rub up against each other according to whatever the game's criteria is. You'll have to convert all your own counties, and vassals seem to be reluctant to convert theirs. Converting their capitals under them usually helps kick things off.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Yea it's extremely hard to spread a new culture
I've managed to get a chunk of germany made into mine and some random places and also my vassals DON'T seem to change to the local culture if I make them my own, which is nice. Like the Kings of England have been my culture the whole game - but they've never made any of england that same culture. No idea why

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if I don’t have access to the internet on the system I have CK3 installed on, how can I get updates/patches on to it

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Tatsuta Age posted:

trip report on the xbox version

- initially no sound or music, had to force quit and restart the game, then it worked
- it says it's linked my paradox account, but it looks like achievements are not carried between them, as xbox has their own achievement system
- no cross play at all, so you can't start on PC and move to xbox, which is a huge bummer and kind of my main use case I had planned
- looks to be multiple versions behind, as playing a quick game as count eudes, I couldn't do "meet peers" interaction (just not there at all)
- autobattle seems kind of neat, but I presume the AI is terrible
- UI didn't seem that bad and is probably fine with some getting used to, but obviously much harder to at a glance everything than on PC with mouse
- very good performance and no real lag at all anywhere; also the game makes my GPU sound like a jet engine on PC and was totally silent on xbox

overall I'll give it some time and revisit, but probably not going to get too far into it

I cannot imagine playing this thing on a controller. The number of menus one needs to navigate is absurd to not have a mouse and keyboard.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

No Pants posted:

The new culture will appear in an area where the two cultures rub up against each other according to whatever the game's criteria is. You'll have to convert all your own counties, and vassals seem to be reluctant to convert theirs. Converting their capitals under them usually helps kick things off.

Oh, I had the opposite experience. My capital and provinces centered around Cordoba/Sevilla/Granada flipped (but also never a whole duchy), and all of the Andalusian/Occitan mess across Aquitaine stayed exactly the same.

I didn't expect it to flip everywhere, but in reality it was super underwhelming. This whole run has really pointed out that the AI seems to make zero attempt to convert cultures at all.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

ThePinkPanzer posted:

Hey guys, not sure if you recognize the handle but I'm the guy who makes Godherja (and made TNO back in the day) and SomethingAwful came up in a Google search of it. Been meaning to make an SA account for years since I was a Facepuncher but never got around to it until now.

Just wanted to say thanks to those who tried the mod and in case it hasn't been said (my wallet's not quite ready to shill for Platinum no thread search sorry) we somewhat recently sent out a massive update that also massively improved performance to vanilla levels. If you didn't like the first few versions, hopefully this one changes / fixes / improves upon enough that it changes your mind :)

Bit late to reply, but hey this mod looks pretty cool. I wanna be a gnarly skeleton dude who makes magic global warming worse for everybody! I noticed the mod uses a homebrewed artifacts system, did the latest vanilla update that came up with Royal Court gently caress up with the code too badly?

On that note, what other total conversion mods do people recommend? I remember there was a post-apocalyptic one for CKII that looked really good but I never got around to trying, and there was a big bronze age mod for uhhh imperator, which I would have loved since I'm a huge ancient mesopotamia dork, but imperator so no

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Canopus250 posted:

Oh, I had the opposite experience. My capital and provinces centered around Cordoba/Sevilla/Granada flipped (but also never a whole duchy), and all of the Andalusian/Occitan mess across Aquitaine stayed exactly the same.

I didn't expect it to flip everywhere, but in reality it was super underwhelming. This whole run has really pointed out that the AI seems to make zero attempt to convert cultures at all.

It does a bit. In like 950 in my game Welsh-Irish and Welsh-Mercian got created by the AI
And they HAVE spread it a bit. Most of wales and now a bit of Ireland is converted

That said my culture has only spread by me spreading it even though nearly every ruler is my culture. It's definitely "off".

I still think it's less of a pain than the AI still being unreformed Pagan in 1370 or something because you just have no way of trying to convert pagan rulers.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is culture really *supposed* to spread, instead of just being accepted? It's largely a local populace thing and so I can imagine that it's less about changing everyone within a generation like religion does and more about cultural acceptance.

It does however put a weird vice on traditions that are land/terrain based instead of realm based. Bonuses to castles don't mean much when only a quarter of your realm has that tradition, but meanwhile another tradition might give +knight effectiveness, which afaik is based on the ruler and not the knight.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Serephina posted:

Is culture really *supposed* to spread, instead of just being accepted? It's largely a local populace thing and so I can imagine that it's less about changing everyone within a generation like religion does and more about cultural acceptance.

It does however put a weird vice on traditions that are land/terrain based instead of realm based. Bonuses to castles don't mean much when only a quarter of your realm has that tradition, but meanwhile another tradition might give +knight effectiveness, which afaik is based on the ruler and not the knight.

Yea I think it's meant to - I mean 90% of the cultures on the map at game start no longer exist, so new stuff is meant to spread to replace them.
At least to me that seemed like the point of the new culture stuff!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

MikeC posted:

I cannot imagine playing this thing on a controller. The number of menus one needs to navigate is absurd to not have a mouse and keyboard.

it honestly doesn't feel like it would be that bad if you know all the different little things already from playing the main version. the only really annoying part is needing to get to tooltips to get more info

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
The initial culture spread is your realm capital + counties around it. Counties connected by sea may also convert (so you may want a coastal realm cap for wider spread)
The AI is supposed to help spread your hybrid/divergent culture, but there's still an adjacency requirement so it's slow going. Plus, it seems divergent cultures don't get a bonus to conversion (only hybrids do)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SexyBlindfold posted:

Bit late to reply, but hey this mod looks pretty cool. I wanna be a gnarly skeleton dude who makes magic global warming worse for everybody! I noticed the mod uses a homebrewed artifacts system, did the latest vanilla update that came up with Royal Court gently caress up with the code too badly?

On that note, what other total conversion mods do people recommend? I remember there was a post-apocalyptic one for CKII that looked really good but I never got around to trying, and there was a big bronze age mod for uhhh imperator, which I would have loved since I'm a huge ancient mesopotamia dork, but imperator so no

After the End has a CK3 version in the works but it's only in the works.

The best total conversion mod CK3 has right now is Tales of Ireland, by far. I've heard good things about Princes of Darkness but the thought of combining World of Darkness fans with Paradox fans scares me. The Fallen Eagle is also fairly good if you like your Total Conversion to be less Total.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Tatsuta Age posted:

- looks to be multiple versions behind, as playing a quick game as count eudes, I couldn't do "meet peers" interaction (just not there at all)
- UI didn't seem that bad and is probably fine with some getting used to, but obviously much harder to at a glance everything than on PC with mouse
- very good performance and no real lag at all anywhere; also the game makes my GPU sound like a jet engine on PC and was totally silent on xbox

I’m someone who played Stellaris almost exclusively on PS4 (because the home PC wasn’t really an option for me most of the time), and just picked this up on PS5 sight unseen based off of what I’ve heard friends say about it on PC.

These three points I quoted are part and parcel for Paradox grand strategy games on console—Stellaris is I think a few major updates behind so I’m kind of used to that being the norm. In fact as someone who is new to the series I actually welcome this as it gives me the chance to learn like PC players did and find out the hard way what not to do in a game, but I admit I could be odd like that.

My biggest thing is going to be learning the game from scratch since, well…again, home PC isn’t really an option due to age and the fact that I’m used to a controller in my hands and not KB/M for games. Thank you 38 years of console gaming.

And yeah, these games have generally good to great performance on consoles—in my time with Stellaris the longest part was loading a save onto PS4. (When I installed it on the 5’s SSD the difference was obvious.) I suspect I’ll be putting a lot of time into this once I learn how the game actually works. Which really starts tomorrow since tonight was seeing how everything worked to start…tomorrow the learning process begins.

Something something play the game of thrones something something. :rant:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What's the thread recommended Duchy building?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Taear posted:

He's my vassal forever now. I mended the schism and he's still loving there. I can't unland him, it just straight up won't let me
I guess I'll have to give him independence then attack him to get rid.

Make him your court jester instead :v:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There's a few lemons in there, but generally the MAA and knight ones are excellent, depending of course on which unique schtick your culture has and you want to lean into. Gardening tradition also unlocks its own duchy building that I've been told is not bad.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

How can I prevent my wife from leaving on an adventure and ditching me? Like clockwork less than 10 years into any Norse game my wife just takes off for some duchy in Poland and I can no longer interact with her.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Traxis posted:

How can I prevent my wife from leaving on an adventure and ditching me? Like clockwork less than 10 years into any Norse game my wife just takes off for some duchy in Poland and I can no longer interact with her.

Won't giving her a non-land title do it? Like Food Taster or whatever?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is your wife landed and a ruler in her own right? Alternatively, does your wife love you?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Tatsuta Age posted:

- initially no sound or music, had to force quit and restart the game, then it worked
- it says it's linked my paradox account, but it looks like achievements are not carried between them, as xbox has their own achievement system
- no cross play at all, so you can't start on PC and move to xbox, which is a huge bummer and kind of my main use case I had planned
- autobattle seems kind of neat, but I presume the AI is terrible

overall I'll give it some time and revisit, but probably not going to get too far into it

They claim the console version will catchup to PC and that all future content releases will be simultaneous. We shall see about that.

Crossplay would be the bomb though

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
thanks everyone

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

SexyBlindfold posted:

Bronze age mod actually moved to CK3 (and it was then abandoned) https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2216525506&searchtext=

Not sure about TC mods, I still haven't played any since CK3's release because I thought they are still fairly incomplete (or were not released yet), but I might be wrong.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 30, 2022

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
The effort needed to make Total Conversion mods has increased in CK3 because now you need to make a lot of 3d assets.

The only ones released are the ones Hellioning mentioned, plus the Lord of the Rings mod. That i know of, Elder Kings, After the End and Winter King are being made, Bronze Age technically is too but is definitely abandoned.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

When you diverge a culture, what's the game's logic for where it spreads to? I made Albanian while doing a test run as a vassal of the Byzantines and it spread to pretty much all of the western Balkans. Autochthonous after all I guess.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Canopus250 posted:

Yeah I've had wildly different experiences with this. In my Rum game literally the only province that adapted my Greek-Ohguz hybrid was my capital, which was fine with me because that capital was Nikaea, and having 35 average development techs you real fast.

In a Rurikid game I was based in Kiev (where Dyre had diverged from Russian for some reason) and formed a Norse-Khazar hybrid. A couple duchies that had been Khazar in the steppe adopted it, along with my capital I think, but it didn't spread at all unless I promoted it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Speaking of divergent/hybrids, anyone know what the requirements for Fika are? I don't have access to the game code, but I'm wondering if I need to start as the count of Fika and stay a count, or play as anyone and just have it as my capital.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The only time I diverged a culture, only my capital and some adjacent counties (that werent mine) converted to the new culture

Not even the rest of my domain converted, I had to do it manually, which takes decades

edit : and I was particulary angry because I had just finished converting all my domain to the old culture

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 30, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

binge crotching posted:

Speaking of divergent/hybrids, anyone know what the requirements for Fika are? I don't have access to the game code, but I'm wondering if I need to start as the count of Fika and stay a count, or play as anyone and just have it as my capital.

You have to diverge your culture while County of Fika is your primary title to set the flag, meaning you must be count tier obviously. Your capital can be elsewhere if desired.

Once the culture is diverged you can acquire whatever titles you want. What I was not clear on is whether you can hybridize after diverging; I didn't understand the triggers well enough to say for sure so I just stuck to reforms.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Serephina posted:

Is your wife landed and a ruler in her own right? Alternatively, does your wife love you?

Unlanded and we're soulmates. Did some digging and found where scandinavian_adventurer_priority_value is defined and the game adds significant weight if a character is your soulmate/best friend/nemesis etc. so I just created a simple mod to change it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Serephina posted:

There's a few lemons in there, but generally the MAA and knight ones are excellent, depending of course on which unique schtick your culture has and you want to lean into. Gardening tradition also unlocks its own duchy building that I've been told is not bad.

Yeah figured they were good. What about the siege workshop?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I kinda think I hate the artifact system. I absolutely 100% do not care if I've got 80 artifacts that are just sat in my inventory totally unused and 22 of them are about to break, it's really loving tedious
Gimme a button to just fix them all or even just throw them all away!

I think it's okay early game but it quickly snowballs into just being very annoying

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah it's pretty disappointing. Also capturing a warbanner and now some dude from a distant realm is trying to duel me for an artifact, maybe that one, maybe not!

E: a "get rid of all non equipped artifacts" button would be a god send honestly

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah figured they were good. What about the siege workshop?

Mostly good for comedy strats where you have (MaA limit) worth of all siege weapons.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 30, 2022

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I mean, the button to throw them all away is "ignore the notifications and wait"?

That said, there are A LOT of annoying UI issues with the artifact system, agreed. Thankfully mods fix some of them (I think someone's modded in auto-repair and even an option to just sell them?) but I don't love how clunky giving them away is (did they ever patch in info on whether an artifact in that one column list is even equipped/displayed, or am I still just supposed to know?)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dallan Invictus posted:

I mean, the button to throw them all away is "ignore the notifications and wait"?

Than you might lose the ones you do care about too

I like the artifact system somewhat but the UI and the amount of random people demanding them from you for ??? reasons is really very annoying

CK3 is really in need of a UI overhaul, a lot of stuff is wrong or missing imo

Some pages ago someone said that one of the devs hated the ledger and thats why we dont have it anymore. Personally, I hate that stupid alerts box in the middle of the screen popping up with new stuff every 15s that we cant ignore because a few of them may actually be relevant and because there is the only place in the game we have a list of wars you can declare, titles you can create, people you can demand money from, among with other important stuff, even if those lists are awful and unsortable and unfilterable (and some become completely useless late game, like the wars one, because the list becomes just too big)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 30, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

(did they ever patch in info on whether an artifact in that one column list is even equipped/displayed, or am I still just supposed to know?)

They did patch that in thankfully.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Than you might lose the ones you do care about too

I like the artifact system somewhat but the UI and the amount of random people demanding them from you for ??? reasons is really very annoying

CK3 is really in need of a UI overhaul, a lot of stuff is wrong or missing imo

Yea I just have no loving clue which are the ones I have and which aren't. I've lost a few because I didn't realise I was using them. Although the bonuses and stuff feel low and don't really matter anyway so I don't care loads.

The most annoying thing for me in CK3 is the time is at the bottom right instead of the top right. I'm ALWAYS getting lost finding what month/year it is and if the goddamn game is paused (because notifications cover the pause thing)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Taear posted:

Yea I just have no loving clue which are the ones I have and which aren't. I've lost a few because I didn't realise I was using them. Although the bonuses and stuff feel low and don't really matter anyway so I don't care loads.

The most annoying thing for me in CK3 is the time is at the bottom right instead of the top right. I'm ALWAYS getting lost finding what month/year it is and if the goddamn game is paused (because notifications cover the pause thing)

Might be best off just going to your actual artifact screen every so often and making sure your equipped artifacts are getting repaired every so often. Still a pain in the rear end, but at least then you know which to care about.

I hate prisoners too. I know there's a checkbox you can go through, but I think the only thing you can do with it is a mass release. I wish I could click on everyone and say Demand Conversion for all these people. Fighting Holy Wars to convert the locals was extremely tiring. Just mass releasing everyone kills your dread, if you have any.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Mass ransom and mass excecute, but yea the controls are rather blunt. I just hit the ransom button every now and then and if I notice the dread is low I'll go through and find someone who's a ruler but not a vassal (lol whoops nice to see you there?) and execute.

Mass religion conversion is an issue, especially after you roll your own. Like 100+ vassals, and you have to go through them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
CK3 doesn't have the CK2 feature to adjust which level a given type of notification fires at, correct? Or the differentiation between (IIRC) blue notifications that actually show up on the right and brown ones that just increment an unread counter unless you open them.

I don't care that I'm in line to inherit titles: I created a massive empire; I am always in line to inherit random poo poo I pawned off on some cousin decades ago.