Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Can someone unpack this one for me? Because I just can't make heads or tails of what this cartoon is trying to say. Is it implying that the US is cheating at international strategy (which is of course a chess game because that's a cliche everyone understands) vs. Putin or something?

Pretty kickin' Biden caricature, though.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Raised By Birds posted:

In a change of pace from cartoons of Putin painting himself into a corner, we have a cartoon of Biden painting himself into a corner.
The universal symbolic colors of red for blood and blue for reckless verbal gaffes from the words bucket labeled words.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Is Biden a dutiful puppet for shadowy puppetmasters like Schwab and the Rothschilds, or is he an unpredictable loose cannon ruining all their plans by blurting out crazy poo poo and makimg the deep state spend all its time doing damage control.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Kikas posted:

I was stuck on figuring out HOLWD :v:

Same

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

holy poo poo an actual funny duck

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lmao McCoy has no loving idea what recusal is, he's just hearing people say that Thomas should have recused himself and going "OH YEAH well the LIBERAL JUDGES should recuse themselves too"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Gary McCoy wants to gently caress the concept of gasoline

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Fuckin petrolphile

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Fuckin petrolphile

:drat:

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Aw yeah, now the Will Smith toons are coming in hot.

Lalo Alcaraz

Robert Ariail

Google "horse inflation" to learn more

Clay Bennett

Lisa Benson

Jeff Danziger

John Deering

Walt Handelsman

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

Henry Payne

Joel Pett

Rob Rogers

Jen Sorensen

Jeff Stahler

Tom Stiglich

Dana Summers

Gary Varvel

Matt Wuerker

Tony Branco

quote:

Hidden Agenda: Ketanji Brown Jackson, picked because of her race and gender, is hiding her radical left-wing agenda.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

BAGGAGE
========>

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably
Political Cartoons 2022:

Raised By Birds posted:

Google "horse inflation" to learn more

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Crossposting from the Ukraine/Russia war thread:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I like that the kid is literally holding a sign to explain what they represent.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Would be kind of awkward to draw the act, but not more repulsive than usual.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Kellies Nomination: Worst Label

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: What Kind of Maniacs Would Use Nuclear Weapons?

Ted Rall posted:

Perhaps a little late now that they have painted Russia into a corner, the United States and its allies are worried that president Vladimir Putin might resort to his nuclear arsenal to retaliate against sanctions and US military aid to Ukraine. But only one country has ever been insane enough to use nuclear weapons, not once but twice, each time against civilian targets on purpose. American scientists wanted to test the effect of the atomic bomb on a civilian city without any military infrastructure.

First Dog on the Moon: How good is being prime minister? It’s one of the main themes of the budget, along with making climate change worse

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trapezium Dave posted:

They did a pretty poor job of avoiding military infrastructure since Hiroshima had an Army Group HQ downtown (its commander was one of the few high officials in the city to survive the bombing) and Nagasaki was a naval shipbuilding center.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They did a pretty poor job of avoiding military infrastructure since Hiroshima had an Army Group HQ downtown (its commander was one of the few high officials in the city to survive the bombing) and Nagasaki was a naval shipbuilding center.

Jesus Christ

Nukes are bad mkay, "military infrastructure" would not justify Russia nuking populated cities in Ukraine

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 30, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

VitalSigns posted:

Jesus Christ

Nukes are bad mkay, "military infrastructure" would not justify Russia nuking populated cities in Ukraine

I think he was taking exception to Rall's claim "a civilian city without any military infrastructure". Not sure how you read more than that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sounded like he was justifying them as military targets which they were not. The criteria for target selection was that the targets had to be large cities to demonstrate the power of the bomb to annihilate population centers, not their military value

If Hiroshima was a military target then so is Kiev, I hope we would all agree that nuking Kiev would be a war crime against a civilian population

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 30, 2022

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Sounded like he was justifying them as military targets which they were not. The criteria for target selection was that the targets had to be large cities to demonstrate the power of the bomb to annihilate population centers, not their military value

If Hiroshima was a military target then so is Kiev, I hope we would all agree that nuking Kiev would be a war crime against a civilian population

Kyoto was a much larger city than Hiroshima and Nagasaki and was explicitly removed from the target list because it had no military value.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-33755182#:~:text=But%20in%20early%20June%201945,was%20not%20a%20military%20target.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

drat this one is too close to reality

quote:

Henry Payne

Go back to drawing cars please

quote:

Joel Pett

I almost don't hate this, except for the fact that this is not the first time I see stereotypical France as a shorthand for all of Europe. Which annoys me.
Unless it's actually a clever take on the fact that France is pretty self-sufficient with their 70% nuclear power, if so, AGC.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That's true but is irrelevant to the point that being a large city was a prerequisite for being on the target list and they were not nuked for their military value.

They were saved for atomic demonstration precisely because of their low military value compared to the targets (like say Japanese bomber command etc) that had been destroyed already.

But yes as Truman implied in his diary for PR/conscience reasons, they were picked from the list so the US could say its aim wasn't to drop it on women and children, even though if you look at the planning it explicitly was. Which is enough to get pedantic over if that's your bag. Technically if the presence of a headquarters was taken into account for PR reasons then the presence of some military stuff was "a" factor, so we can quibble about details endlessly to avoid the point

We could also get equally pedantic about it if Putin nuked Kiev but I hope we wouldn't.

Seriously why are we doing this, any standard that makes Hiroshima a justified military target makes Kiev even more of one so what are you doing???

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 30, 2022

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
There is no justification for using nuclear energy as weapons, in any form, period. What USA did was a capital w War capital c Crime on a scale which we all hope to never see again. However they were clearly the biggest winners of WWII, especially since there was no damage to the mainland USA whatsoever, so they got to write the lab report, which is why they did not classify it as such.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I love all the right wing cartoonists who typically do “No one watches the Oscars, they’re liberal propaganda!” cartoons every year are drawing Will Smith cartoons showing they clearly watch the Oscars every year

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I love all the right wing cartoonists who typically do “No one watches the Oscars, they’re liberal propaganda!” cartoons every year are drawing Will Smith cartoons showing they clearly watch the Oscars every year

You don't have to watch the Oscars to have seen Will Smith slapping Chris Rock.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kikas posted:

There is no justification for using nuclear energy as weapons, in any form, period. What USA did was a capital w War capital c Crime on a scale which we all hope to never see again. However they were clearly the biggest winners of WWII, especially since there was no damage to the mainland USA whatsoever, so they got to write the lab report, which is why they did not classify it as such.
Yes correct, this is the realpolitik answer: the USA was the winner and in war the winner gets to judge the loser not the other way around. But winners do admit it later sometimes, ie Russia has acknowledged that Katyn was a war crime. It's not like impossible.

But even when you look at the justifications for the atomic bombings they all admit they were civilian targets without any military necessity and make utilitarian arguments that they hastened the war and saved X many lives overall etc. Nobody, or at least no reputable historian or military scientist or whatever, argues that the bombings were a tactical military necessity, like that it was a military imperative for the side that had already won complete naval and air supremacy to destroy a blockaded naval base and that nuking a city was the only way. Not even the biggest baddest hippie-punching neocons make the argument because it's just laughable

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What is it with people making AGC about this hearing? Being willing to defer to an expert when asked an open-ended question like that (and you just know that if she was actually asked "what is 2+2?" and answered 4, they would be screaming that she was incompetent because they OBVIOUSLY meant what is "2+2 in base 2/base 3" and she's showing her biases) isn't a sign of weakness, you feckless hack.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Trapezium Dave posted:

that's right ted, nukes are bad, as shown by the leveling of those two cities with one bomb each

very good ted!

i try to give ted a gold star but he calls me hitler and runs off screaming

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Randalor posted:

What is it with people making AGC about this hearing? Being willing to defer to an expert when asked an open-ended question like that (and you just know that if she was actually asked "what is 2+2?" and answered 4, they would be screaming that she was incompetent because they OBVIOUSLY meant what is "2+2 in base 2/base 3" and she's showing her biases) isn't a sign of weakness, you feckless hack.

It's all wrapped up in transphobia and that they can't get the talking points they want so they writhe and cry on the floor like a 5-year old denied their candy before dinner.

It's both comical and tragic, but all too exhausting.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Really, when you think about it, the fact that the United States participated in World War II rather than figuring out a way to win the war without firing a single gun or dropping a single bomb is the biggest war crime, making all Americans mega-Hitlers by proxy

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

Really, when you think about it, the fact that the United States participated in World War II rather than figuring out a way to win the war without firing a single gun or dropping a single bomb is the biggest war crime, making all Americans mega-Hitlers by proxy

Idk I think that there is a difference between shooting soldiers and shooting civilians, and I prefer having the Geneva Conventions to shrugging about shooting civilians if we're shooting troops anyways but you do you.

E: especially now that we're seeing Putin commit outrageous war crimes like shelling schools, if he tried to justify this by pointing out he can't win the war without shelling anything at all I would hope we would not accept that explanation

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 30, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

another rant that is a word-for-word description of defeated former president Donald J. Trump if you replace the specific quotes with literally anything the dotard has ever said, blah blah, the interesting part is that Garrison accidentally admitted that Biden actually was voted into office.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ah, yes. The most reckless of actions, a gaffe.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I mean, calling for the overthrow of the leader of a nuclear power while adlibbing is a little reckless. But the criticism is coming from the Trump crowd who... let's see here... first said the invasion of Ukraine was brilliant, called for a false flag attack where we blamed the Chinese, and then called on Putin to release damaging material on the Biden family.

So, you know, it's hard to take them seriously.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Randalor posted:

It's not an open-ended question to them though, they believe that "woman" has a singular, concrete, scientific definition; that it's just a law of nature like gravity. Never mind that if you turned around and asked them what a woman is, they wouldn't be able to give you a "scientific" definition that doesn't either include trans women, or exclude a ton of cis women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

It's not an open-ended question to them though, they believe that "woman" has a singular, concrete, scientific definition; that it's just a law of nature like gravity. Never mind the fact that if you turned around and asked them what a woman is, they wouldn't be able to give you a "scientific" definition that doesn't either include trans women, or exclude a ton of cis women.
Notice that they will never ever try to actually do this.

If you ask them to define 'woman' themselves, if they're smart they'll just scoff at you, "see you don't know what a woman is?! Heh heh everyone just knows what a woman is you idiot, go ask your second grade teacher to explain it again".

Although you can flummox your dumb family members who don't know that they aren't supposed to say something like "a woman is someone with two X chromosomes", if that's your bag.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 30, 2022