Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Korean Fried Chicken to round out US cuisine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

:hmmyes:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

indigi posted:

Mexican and Italian, two international cuisines. what else you got bitch.

my area also has great Japanese, Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Ethiopian, Korean etc. so long as you're in a city of a certain size you can pretty much get everything here

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Spergin Morlock posted:

my area also has great Japanese, Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Ethiopian, Korean etc. so long as you're in a city of a certain size you can pretty much get everything here

Do you think most Americans actually experience those different culture's cuisines?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Do you think most Americans actually experience those different culture's cuisines?

most? no
me? hell yes

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
You can get chicken wonton tacos at applebees, that's loving multicultural right there.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Spergin Morlock posted:

I can't believe someone would just go on the internet and tell lies like this

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

sexpig by night posted:

seriously jesus christ it's not because there's bugs in it it's to make it less starchy. Enjoy your gummy lovely rice guys

it’s kinda both depending on where you are. a lotta people alive in china right now grew up eating rice their family personally harvested

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Spergin Morlock posted:

that’s everything? heck, there’s chinese food i can’t really get even in shenzhen i don’t think you can get pretty much anything in any one place

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

fart simpson posted:

that’s everything? heck, there’s chinese food i can’t really get even in shenzhen i don’t think you can get pretty much anything in any one place

we have a decent amount of Taiwanese stuff but generally speaking, yea, i imagine the best chinese food is in china lol

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1508751758402613254

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I want that

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

American bbq is great :colbert:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hedenius posted:

On March 31, 1904, Younghusband encountered a Tibetan militia force of about 2000 guarding a pass near Gyantse. He must have had a hard time keeping a straight face or wiping the drool from his lips, thinking about the medals he’d get for this one, because the Tibetans were armed either with spears and swords or at best with matchlock muskets. That’s right: the kind of 17th-century firearm that won’t fire unless you apply the smouldering wick to the firing pan. Younghusband decided to play with the poor fuckers he was facing. He said, “My friends, my friends, what’s all this hostility? Why dees paranoia? Here, I’ll tell MY soldiers to take the bullets out of their rifles, and you tell YOUR soldiers to put out the flame of their matchlocks.” The Tibetans, who had no idea that Younghusband’s troops had modern repeating rifles, put out their matchlocks. Younghusband then ordered his troops to open fire. 1300 Tibetans were killed, with almost no British casualties.

and war nerd got this information from trial transcripts involving youngblood being tried for war crimes right :)

and war nerd got this information from trial transcripts involving youngblood being tried for war crimes right :catstare:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

and war nerd got this information from trial transcripts involving youngblood being tried for war crimes right :)

and war nerd got this information from trial transcripts involving youngblood being tried for war crimes right :catstare:

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

DiscountDildos posted:

I've developed a habit of removing any china video I watch from my history on YouTube. It's annoying but I don't get China Uncensored or poo poo like that in my feed anymore.

Also noticed within a week of twitter announcing their partnership with ASPI that basically every single one of the "you dont follow this person but maybe look at this" tweets that popped up in my feed was from some media or hrw china watcher weirdo. Made a point to block any of those that i saw and I think it took the hint.

drat I talked all that good poo poo about beating the algorithm then it gives me this

https://twitter.com/danharris/status/1508796440465723392?s=20&t=H0pXIapVdppCuVWkpE64Ew

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The algorithm shows me cooking channels instead of epic muslim rekt videos on my phone. The system works.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also my kid watch train crossing videos non stop.
lmfao

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/johnsfeng/status/1508738100792492035

also

https://twitter.com/johnsfeng/status/1508738107205595137

lol unification must be avoided at all costs is agreed upon at a higher rate, but belief that war is likely has decreased

Maximo Roboto has issued a correction as of 03:35 on Mar 30, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Maximo Roboto posted:

China being so big that entire cities can have their own dialects that's spoken by tens of millions of people in the surrounding area ftw

that cant be right ive been assured by reliable sources that the evil commies running china genocide all the local languages

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/BigBrotherWatch/status/1508850653514317824

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Kill All Cops posted:

Korean Fried Chicken to round out US cuisine

Gorean Fried Chicken

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

In solidarity with the 50,000,000 dead uyghurs currently being held in Communist concentration camps the City of London has announced it will source all of its surveillance equipment from a Taiwanese firm going forward

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

https://twitter.com/TIME/status/1509056077719089154?s=20&t=NVJ4CTnC5i30hTkHcXQb-w

yo this dude's name is bongbong :350:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

http://www.asiacafetx.com/menu/

These guys did have Westernized dishes but it's where the expats ate, the belly bacon here was so loving good before they closed for permanent COVID remodelling.

Waffle House has issued a correction as of 07:45 on Mar 30, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hedenius posted:

On March 31, 1904, Younghusband encountered a Tibetan militia force of about 2000 guarding a pass near Gyantse. He must have had a hard time keeping a straight face or wiping the drool from his lips, thinking about the medals he’d get for this one, because the Tibetans were armed either with spears and swords or at best with matchlock muskets. That’s right: the kind of 17th-century firearm that won’t fire unless you apply the smouldering wick to the firing pan. Younghusband decided to play with the poor fuckers he was facing. He said, “My friends, my friends, what’s all this hostility? Why dees paranoia? Here, I’ll tell MY soldiers to take the bullets out of their rifles, and you tell YOUR soldiers to put out the flame of their matchlocks.” The Tibetans, who had no idea that Younghusband’s troops had modern repeating rifles, put out their matchlocks. Younghusband then ordered his troops to open fire. 1300 Tibetans were killed, with almost no British casualties.

just lol if one of the top footballers in the Philippines is descended from a war criminal

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
my last post for now on the religion and invisible hand deadhorse

tldr is dont too much faith (heh) on theologically inspired economics that predicted rich fucks not hoarding wealth like :smaug: and capitalists not selling out their own countries if the price is good (see offshoring manufacturing and shuttering strategic industries). pure fatal hopium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinhua_News_Agency

quote:

Xinhua News Agency (English pronunciation: /ˌʃɪnˈhwɑː/)[2], or New China News Agency, is the official state press agency of the People's Republic of China. Xinhua is the largest and most influential media organization in China, as well as the largest news agency as measured by the number of worldwide correspondents.[3] Xinhua is a ministry-level institution subordinate to the State Council and is the highest ranking state media organ in the country alongside the People's Daily. He Ping, President of Xinhua, is a member of the Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP).[4]

https://english.news.cn/20220324/ed4d0ba14c15446bb9360e985a5ec632/c.html

quote:

2022-03-24 23:10:17

How to best handle the relationship between the "visible hand" of the government and the "invisible hand" of the market is a challenge facing policymakers in China and beyond.

When the "invisible hand" fails to move the economy forward, as observed in some Western countries, China has adopted a "two-hands" approach to drive growth.

The economic philosophy of Chinese President Xi Jinping, widely known as "Xiconomics," emphasizes the market's decisive role in allocating resources; at the same time, Xiconomics allows the government to perform its functions better.

https://warontherocks.com/2022/03/is-the-west-laissez-faire-about-economic-warfare/

quote:

Chinese economists saw price stability as fundamental to economic development and fittingly conceived of their battle against rising prices as a kind of “economic warfare.”

Once in power, communist policymakers had to wage their own battle and bring prices under control. Chen Yun, who led the Chinese Communist Party’s Organisation Department during the war against Japan and who would go on to become “a key architect of China’s economic reforms of the late 1970s and early 1980s,” established his reputation in halting the economic crises of the 1940s. The experience of the hyperinflation was formative for Chen, who began to stress “the importance of trade and commodity circulation for economic development.” The blockade — or at least its effects — led Chen to see the both the potential and pitfalls of liberalized trade (the Nationalists had even imposed their own blockades on Communist-controlled regions as China’s civil war reached its final phases). In 1950, Chen would coin a highly influential economic slogan that captured his approach to economic policymaking: “Rising prices are not good, falling prices, too, are not good for production. It is better to be groping for stones to cross the river more steadily.”

China is an outlier in the global economy because its embrace of markets was circumscribed. Chinese policymakers realized that to win their own economic war — the battle for development — the iron fist needed to guide the invisible hand.

https://www.promarket.org/2022/02/27/how-china-became-a-global-economic-powerhouse-through-an-idiosyncratic-approach-to-market-capitalism/

quote:

The neoliberal state is neither small nor weak, but strong. Its purpose is to fortify the market. In the most basic terms, this means the protection of free prices as the core economic mechanism.

Shock therapy was at the heart of the “Washington consensus doctrine of transition,” propagated by the Bretton Woods institutions in developing countries, Eastern and Central Europe, and Russia. The package consisted of liberalization of all prices in one big bang, privatization, trade liberalization, and stabilization, in the form of tight monetary and fiscal policies.

What was presented as a comprehensive reform package turned out to be a policy that is extremely biased toward only one element of a market economy: the market determination of prices.

The recommended package did not “create” a market economy. Instead, it was hoped that destruction of the command economy would automatically give rise to a market economy. It is a recipe for destruction, not construction. Once the planned economy had been “shocked to death,” the “invisible hand” was expected to operate and, in a somewhat miraculous way, allow an effective market economy to emerge.

the warontherocks article is a good read btw, and the promarket.org link contains an excerpt from the 2nd book mentioned in the warontherocks article (not a fan of her defending adam smith). i also like wen tiejun's take on china handling economic crises (the book is in english btw) https://our-global-u.org/oguorg/en/download/Featured%20Authors/wen_tiejun/Wen-Tiejun_Ten-Crises_Online-PDF_20210619_REVISED.pdf

for the piss de resistance
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10551-011-1099-z
https://apps.acu.edu.au/staffdirectory/file_folder/7470a1088d30c11928bbda8c55dcb795.pdf

quote:

The first of the three appearances of the invisible hand in Adam Smith’s work is his early essay The History of Astronomy, section III “Of the Origin of Philosophy” (p48-50 in the standard edition of Essays on Philosophical Subjects, Smith 1980). “For it may be observe d, that in all Polytheistic religions, among savages, as well as in the early ages of Heathen antiquity, it is the irregular events of nature only that are ascribed to the agency and power of their gods” (Smith 1980 p49) “Fire burns, and water refreshes; heavy bodies descend, and lighter substances fly upwards, by the necessity of their own nature; nor was the invisible hand of Jupiter ever apprehende d to be employed in those matters. But thunder and lightning, storms and sunshine, those more irregular events, were ascribed to his favour, or his anger”(Smith 1980 p49-50)

The second invisible hand passage is in the Theory of Moral Sentiments Part IV section I (Smith 1975 p185). It is a discussion of how the rich man endowed with insatiable desires has a stomach of limited capacity, so that in the end the rich ma n consumes only as much as a poor man. Smith observes that in this way the rich “in spite of their natural selfishness and rapacity” are “led by an invisible hand to make nearly the same division of the necessaries of life, which would have been made, had the earth been divide d into equal portions among its inhabitants, and thus without intending it, without knowing it, advance the interest of the society”. Elsewhere in the Theory of Moral Sentiments self-interest, including that of the rich, has a providential role in a market economy. This passage does not express that idea; instead, the divine hand is working against the greed of the rich, levelling out consumption, and maintaining the stability of the market system.

The third and most quoted invisible hand passage is from the Wealth of Nations IV ii (Smith 1976 p456). It is part of a chapter on restraints on fo reign trade where Smith discusses merchants seeking the greatest return on their capital, against the gene ral background of self-interested behaviour in a market economy. In the passage the Scottish merchant weighs the greater security of investing in domestic industry against the possibility of greater profits abroad, and is led by an invisible hand to invest domestically. The text is “By preferring the support of domestic to that of foreign industry he intends only his own security; and by directing that industry in such a manner as its produce may be of greatest value, he intends only his own gain, and he is in this, as in many other cases, led by an invisible hand to promote an end which was no part of his intention” ( WN p456). Smith comments “by pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes that of the society more effectually than when he really intends to promote it. I have never kn own much good to be done by those who affected to trade for the public good” ( WN p456) before returning to the theme of domestic verses foreign industry.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
bonus trolling(?) from xinhua
https://english.news.cn/20220330/9e0c5831cbfd4e01af3802d44363d6fb/c.html

headline:

quote:

China to further improve social credit system

bahgawd we got em! the chicoms finally admitted it

actual content:

quote:

2022-03-30 09:20:16

The general offices of the Communist Party of China Central Committee and the State Council have issued a guideline on underpinning the development of the social credit system.

It called for strengthening the integrity of scientific research and protecting intellectual property rights, cracking down on thesis trading, and optimizing the protection and application system for intellectual property rights.

China will also improve the credit system for ecological and environmental protection, according to the document.

The document also called for building the credit system for the capital market, developing inclusive finance, expanding the scale of credit loans, and solving the financing problems of micro, small and medium-sized enterprises, and individual businesses.

this is the problem when articles feel like they r ran thru translation software, on the other hand with better english u get cgtn which is filled with stealth liberal apologists

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Maximo Roboto posted:

China being so big that entire cities can have their own dialects that's spoken by tens of millions of people in the surrounding area ftw

This is how it is in most of Eurasian nations, especially if you start to define languages as dialect groups with a span as wide as that of Chinese. In dinky places such as the various European nations you could have one dialect in one minor region, city or cluster of villages that is almost unintelligible for speakers of the same language that lives on the other side of the nation.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zudgemud posted:

This is how it is in most of Eurasian nations, especially if you start to define languages as dialect groups with a span as wide as that of Chinese. In dinky places such as the various European nations you could have one dialect in one minor region, city or cluster of villages that is almost unintelligible for speakers of the same language that lives on the other side of the nation.

europe is a single empire, we are just in a waring states period between emperors

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zudgemud posted:

yeah my tiny country of ~2 million people has 7 dialect groups that range from "mostly same as official language" to "completely incomprehensible to people not from these parts", despite all counting as same language

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

fart simpson posted:

it’s kinda both depending on where you are. a lotta people alive in china right now grew up eating rice their family personally harvested

That's so cool, was it eaten brown or did they process it to make white rice?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Didn't a shitload of upper class people in Japan start dying from malnutrition because they ate exclusively washed white rice?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Vinncent/status/1508978367282008068?cxt=HHwWiMC-uZD1-_ApAAAA

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't a shitload of upper class people in Japan start dying from malnutrition because they ate exclusively washed white rice?

No because the wealthy usually had more varied diets, but they were still susceptible. The people that got it worse was the military because the biggest draw to it was all the white rice you could eat, and nothing but white rice.

Endman
May 18, 2010

king poo poo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

IAMKOREA posted:

That's so cool, was it eaten brown or did they process it to make white rice?

can’t speak to everywhere, but the places i know (guangdong, hubei) they polished it to make white rice. there were (are?) shops that will process it for you if you bring the raw brown rice harvest there

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

No because the wealthy usually had more varied diets, but they were still susceptible. The people that got it worse was the military because the biggest draw to it was all the white rice you could eat, and nothing but white rice.

Ah yeah, that makes sense. How long did it take them to figure that out?

I've been making this joke about Hillary Clinton for years.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I watched it a long time ago but I believe the crux of his argument was that rice especially in the US is fortified so washing it removes all the fortification. Rice in the US is processed pretty well, so the need to wash it to remove all the dirt is unneeded.

I like washing rice because it removes a lot of the starch that makes rice feel heavy.

iirc, his argument was that unless you live in a country where you're going to get bugs and grit in with the rice, the main thing you're doing when you're washing the rice is washing away the little bit of powdered starch that's attached to the rice as a result of the refining process. washing that away gets you a smoother, more consistent texture which is great, but sometimes you might want something that's a bit sticker, heavier, or more heterogenous. i tried it after watching the video and it's not bad!

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

iirc, his argument was that unless you live in a country where you're going to get bugs and grit in with the rice, the main thing you're doing when you're washing the rice is washing away the little bit of powdered starch that's attached to the rice as a result of the refining process. washing that away gets you a smoother, more consistent texture which is great, but sometimes you might want something that's a bit sticker, heavier, or more heterogenous. i tried it after watching the video and it's not bad!

Yeah you can make a reasonable glutinous rice substitute if you just toss unwashed rice in the rice cooker. To me its a great accompaniment to curry or some particularly saucy Chinese dishes because you are basically making a flavor sponge. It's awful for any dish where rice is a feature or a solo side or you want it to break up into grains.

Also good if you're making a congee because you can get it to be very thick if that's your jam.

Sometimes gloopy is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Lol imagine being this much of a deadshit