Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

It's Carlsbad Caverns. NOT Carl's Bad Caverns.

The s in Carls does signify a genitive though, so you were half right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The s in Carls does signify a genitive though, so you were half right.

The caverns are named after Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV in a very very indirect roundabout way

quote:

The town of Carlsbad, which lends its name to the cavern and national park, is in turn named after the Czech town formerly known by the German name Karlsbad (English spelling Carlsbad) and now known by the Czech name Karlovy Vary, both of which mean "Charles' Bath[s]."

quote:

According to a legend, Charles IV organized an expedition into the forests surrounding modern-day Karlovy Vary during a stay in Loket. It is said that his party once discovered a hot spring by accident, and thanks to the water from the spring, Charles IV healed his injured leg.[8] On the site of a spring, he established a spa mentioned as in dem warmen Bade bey dem Elbogen in German, or Horké Lázně u Lokte (Hot Spas at the Loket).[9] The location was subsequently named "Karlovy Vary" after the emperor. Charles IV granted the town privileges on 14 August 1370. Earlier settlements can also be found on the outskirts of today's city.[6]

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The caverns of Good Carl

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Yeah, I was surprised to learn that Bath in England and Spa in Belgium and towns in Germany begging with "Bad" are "Spa towns" where in bygone days visitors would come to "take the waters".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Chuck's Tub

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The caverns are named after Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV in a very very indirect roundabout way

Carl's Bath Caverns.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

"Karlovy Vary" makes me want to say "Cor blimey guv'nor".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Hot Carl in a cavern

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Runnin' wild and gettin' poo poo on

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

The phrase "Lovely Jubbly" which in British parlance means an expression of delight which was popularised by the TV show Only Fools and Horses is an advertising slogan for an actual product. A 1950s soft drink named Jubbly.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Prurient Squid posted:

Yeah, I was surprised to learn that Bath in England and Spa in Belgium and towns in Germany begging with "Bad" are "Spa towns" where in bygone days visitors would come to "take the waters".

It says another about old-school medicine that people assumed water that tasted like farts and sadness just HAD to be good for them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The sulfur is coincidental. Mineral water has minerals. It might be minerals you really need to stay healthy.

It might not.

But you figure it out quickly. If you explode: bad minerals.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I live near Buxton and Matlock baths.

One part naturally heated waters, another part because it's now a Victorian business area based on how pure and clean the water is, they stopped people dumping rubbish/poo poo upstream and made farmers move livestock away. So it's infinitely better for you than the cholera ridden regular water.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
All I remember from Matlock is the cable car and how the train to get there was a single carriage.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The single carriage is the least of Derbyshire's train problems, I post as I prepare to walk my dogs along the old railway line that used to connect the two halves of Derbyshire to each other.

You got to do this weird pinball thing where you bounce off Derby/Nottingham/Sheffield/Manchester to go 20 miles down the road.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

All I remember of Matlock is that my grandpa really liked it

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It has the greatest antiques/brick a brack store in the country and the Sainsbury's has a working steam engine line platform next to it. It's not bad for a (single) day out.

https://www.matlockantiques.co.uk/

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Did Andy Griffith build that?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Captain Splendid posted:

All I remember from Matlock is the cable car and how the train to get there was a single carriage.

The only way I remember the name is from (I want to say) a DFS advert from the 70’s which listed Matlock as one of its locations (along with Darley Dale, Measham, Droitwich, Cannock and Fenton).

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It might have been Allied Carpets though.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I've sold cable cars to Matlock, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and, by gum, it put them on the map!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bo Burnham's face is not Pewdiepie's face.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

In terms of slappability, they're practically identical

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

In terms of slappability, they're practically identical

I don't know about Bo Burnham but I'm sure Pewdiepie would have some choice words about Will Smith's wife.

(For he is a huge racist, you see.)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't know about Bo Burnham but I'm sure Pewdiepie would have some choice words about Will Smith's wife.

(For he is a huge racist, you see.)

Bo Burnham is not a huge racist.

Although that one time on Halloween he dressed up as Aladdin

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
My 30-odd-year-old friend just discovered that it's not "pinchity punch for the first of the month."

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Lady Disdain posted:

My 30-odd-year-old friend just discovered that it's not "pinchity punch for the first of the month."

What a dummy. Everyone knows it's "fuckity gently caress left and right past the clock."

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I grew up hearing "up your rear end and on a shelf to the left."

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I don't know what the gently caress any of you are talking about

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

What the gently caress are y'all talking about that's gibberish

Garrand posted:

I don't know what the gently caress any of you are talking about
THANK YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The gently caress you just change your name for

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Pinch punch first of the month and no returns

Said my dad as he wakes his 5 year old in the morning

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

the gently caress is all that

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Stuff You Believe You Just Can't Figure Out

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

you have a drumstick and your brain stops tickin'

i also have no idea what you all are talking about

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
the word "candid" does not mean hidden or secret. i always thought it did because of the show Candid Camera :argh: it's a hidden camera! candid must mean hidden! at least that's what my 6 year old brain decided and I've believed for 20+ years

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Poopelyse posted:

the word "candid" does not mean hidden or secret. i always thought it did because of the show Candid Camera :argh: it's a hidden camera! candid must mean hidden! at least that's what my 6 year old brain decided and I've believed for 20+ years

The definition of the word in the context of photography/videography is pretty much 'unexpected' which is vaguely in that ballpark

quote:

candid
/ˈkandɪd/
adjective

1. truthful and straightforward; frank.
"his responses were remarkably candid"

2. (of a photograph of a person) taken informally, especially without the subject's knowledge.
"it is better to let the photographer mingle among the guests and take candid shots"

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The definition of the word in the context of photography/videography is pretty much 'unexpected' which is vaguely in that ballpark

hmmm so it is but that didn't help me make sense of someone saying "thank you for being candid" and interpretating it has "thank you for being secretive" lol

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Alan Funt's last joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Poopelyse posted:

You've probably figured this out, but the reason they call it "candid" camera is because, as the camera is hidden and no one knows it's there, people act like they normally would.