Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

If Antifa is working to kill god then i am on their side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Hihohe posted:

loving animes, man

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

MrUnderbridge posted:

It's the Christian argument that people don't really not belive in God. Since God is all powerful, there's no possible way that someone just didn't believe in him.

They must be mad at him for some reason (didn't get that pony they prayed for!), and so petulantly deny he exists.

They just can't conceive of someone either growing up not believing or coming to not believe by (gasp!) THINKING.
This is connected to a bigger over arching concept that any thought contrary to conservative values cannot be made in a neutral or logical setting. It has to either be born out of ignorance or manipulation. You can't possibly be atheist, or gay, or communist, someone must have tricked you into believing it.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Anti-fa more like anti- (God the) Father am I right? :smug:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Panfilo posted:

This is connected to a bigger over arching concept that any thought contrary to conservative values cannot be made in a neutral or logical setting. It has to either be born out of ignorance or manipulation. You can't possibly be atheist, or gay, or communist, someone must have tricked you into believing it.
Doesn't feel like this message has enough hatred for the current right wing media rhetoric. If they felt people were misguided it would allow for correction or redemption or however they frame the short coming. At one point conversion therapy, "pray away the gay" and so on was in vogue. That feels like it has fallen out of favor for the "tree of liberty", "blood and soil" type messages of punishment and cruelty.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Panfilo posted:

Yeah, there is a Natural State for things to be (straight, cisgendered, god-fearing) so anyone who doesn't conform to that Natural State has either been tricked into it or has made a conscious choice to be that. Nobody is born gay, a person has to make a conscious choice to be gay, which means that 1) they're defying God and the Natural Order Of Things on purpose (possibly by being tricked into it) and 2) they can just as easily choose to be Not Gay (or Not Trans or Not Atheist or whatever).

That's the sort of "logic" that animates a lot of right-wing policy and messaging.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

bird food bathtub posted:

Doesn't feel like this message has enough hatred for the current right wing media rhetoric. If they felt people were misguided it would allow for correction or redemption or however they frame the short coming. At one point conversion therapy, "pray away the gay" and so on was in vogue. That feels like it has fallen out of favor for the "tree of liberty", "blood and soil" type messages of punishment and cruelty.

Ok yeah I keep having the message of the leading RWM self help guy explained to me but "Antifa is rejecting God"or some manifestation of the devil is still beyond me. People not wanting to get murdered by cops for being black = lack of faith in Christ is a long line I can't connect no matter how big my bulletin board, the amount of string and thumb tacks I have along with all the Polaroid shots of Soros, Obama and Pelosi I have attached to it.

I think it's a little more simple than that because they start with the premise that America is a christian nation, christianity is good, America is good, ergo flaying the flags and worshiping Jesus makes YOU good and everything "bad" must be the opposite of that by extension.

Or something.

I mean, we're dealing with half the country supporting the party that buys into Q poo poo, still thinks the election was stolen and that democrats work with Hollywood to drink the blood of children. It's not all of them but it's a lot of them who think that Bill Gates is implanting microchips via C19 vaccines. So I'm probably over thinking it and it's as simple as "thing I don't like" = "the devil" or whatever the gently caress they're on about.

Antifa couldn't be more clear. They oppose fascists. Period. End of story. It's not some Illuminati cabal that's highly organized with a ton of dark money backing it. It's just people that don't like nazis and killer cops.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's also a lot of just refusal to accept that not everyone is as frightened as they are. A large part of evangelicalism is the belief that everything is explained by God. There's no such thing as doubt or discontent on how things work, that's just God magic making things work. You have all these stupid scientists saying they aren't sure about things, stupid idiots don't know God did it.

And then you see people who are just living their lives content with not knowing that everything is part of a perfect plan and not just collapsing in the street out of fear. How can this be? Well, they *know* that there is God's perfect plan, but they are deliberately choosing to ignore it. That's the only explanation.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Panfilo posted:

And as if to prove the point, the RDU morning chuds were talking this morning about (I think) in Texas, there was an elementary school that was having a week of LGTB+ education, and in an interview one of the fourth grade teachers said that of the 32 students she had, 20 of them had privately talked to her about being LGBT+. Then the co-host was like "Wow, it's almost as if children are very susceptible to suggestions and are like clay that you can mold to be what you want them to be." This is also the logic behind DeSantis' anti-gay/trans bill in Florida, it's the idea that if children never hear that being gay or trans exists, by the time they're an adult they'll just automatically be straight and cis since nobody tricked/forced them to be those things.

BiggerBoat posted:

Antifa couldn't be more clear. They oppose fascists. Period. End of story.

That's the problem is that people who consume right wing media believe that antifa are the real fascists, and that they are promoting and spreading fascism through their actions while just claiming to be against fascism. Kind of like how the how the ACLJ claims they are for justice but do everything they can to increase and promote injustice against oppressed groups.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Given the amount of narcissism involved in being a right-wing media figure, I do wonder if those high-minded socio-theological reasoning aren't giving Peterson a bit too much credit. When he is referring to God, he is also referring to himself. Everything else follows logically from that. If another person hates God is of no relevance to anyone else, but if another person hates him then he can view it as a personal attack.

There may have once been a point where I might have approached Peterson as someone capable of reasoned argument, but if the right-wing media system didn't rob him of that already, the benzos addiction certainly did.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think the thing that freaks people out about antifascists is the decentralized and masked nature of them. A lot of right wing reactionary politics seems to be about putting people into boxes but if you don't know who these people are or who is in charge it makes them a force of nature.

This gets reinforced by signal boosting videos from years ago that are some variation of young looking masked people threatening/attacking an older person. I've heard it's only like 5 video journalists total that record and edit this content and it just gets recycled over and over devoid of context.

A lot of chuds thought antifa was made up of jobless losers but when mugshots revealed many of them were school teachers they freaked the gently caress out.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

OK but I guess what I'm saying that me largely supporting Antifa and opposing fascists and not liking cops murdering with impunity has little (or actually nothing) to do with the fact that I'm an atheist. I don't even see how those things connect. Because they don't. I'm sure there are some Antifa members that believe in god or go to church and stuff and I really don't give a poo poo.

God had nothing to with George Floyd or Rodney King or however long we need to go back and look at the race problem we've historically had in the United States.

What I mean is, like most things people like Jordan Peterson say, it's complete bullshit and you can keep it.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I think all these arguments are a little too specific, though on point. The phrase "revenge against God for the crime of Being" is very loaded. Those who exist must fundamentally acknowledge God because they are products of the Creator, and dissidents are living in resentment of God's Will, even if they don't explicitly describe their conflict as being with the fairy grandfather in the sky. The world as it exists (especially the status quo and the US in particular) is God's vision and any rebellion or systemic dissent must be an unconscious failure of fundamental spiritual character.

It encompasses the entire world, not just the US. Anyone who doesn't embrace that Natural State narrative is resentful of being part of this world, but remember: that's still part of God's confusing Plan. Satans and dissidents exist in God's work, but they are there for the purpose of othering and reflecting on your own righteousness. They aren't capable of accepting the Truth at all because of their existential resentment.

Woe unto the adjunct professor who is placed in such a situation! There is no hope for the lost, nor for the righteous who would hope to make a better world by exterminating them. It would only naturally bring an old man to tears at the thought of what could have been in a more pure and enlightened world.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 30, 2022

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

OK but I guess what I'm saying that me largely supporting Antifa and opposing fascists and not liking cops murdering with impunity has little (or actually nothing) to do with the fact that I'm an atheist. I don't even see how those things connect. Because they don't. I'm sure there are some Antifa members that believe in god or go to church and stuff and I really don't give a poo poo.

God had nothing to with George Floyd or Rodney King or however long we need to go back and look at the race problem we've historically had in the United States.

What I mean is, like most things people like Jordan Peterson say, it's complete bullshit and you can keep it.

Not to be offensive, but I think you're missing the point.

They want their God to be fascist. And they'll ignore all evidence to the contrary.

That's how they justify their racism and murder. It's how opposing them is opposing God and their supposed natural order.

Everything else flows from there.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

SpeakSlow posted:

They want their God to be fascist. And they'll ignore all evidence to the contrary.

That's how they justify their racism and murder. It's how opposing them is opposing God and their supposed natural order.

Yes, this.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hihohe posted:

"Attack and dethrone god", to be specific. Killing is not specified.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

I swear man the loving flag flying totally wears me out.

I don't have anything against it, really, but the way it's done just feels so...aggressive.

Huge U.S. flags hanging from the back of pick up trucks and prominently displayed in front yards around here. I wanna go up to some of them and ask "oh, are you from the states? Me too! What a coincidence!" and see how far my sarcasm might get me. Probably punched in the face 25% of the time. I feel pretty confident assuming right out of the box what most of these people are like and how they think, though, which flies in the face of how I generally like to treat people and it bothers me.

But Giant Flag honestly brings out my prejudice.

We get it. You just LOVE everything (you think) the United States is and (probably) whatever you think Jesus represents. Fairly certain you own a gun, voted for Trump twice and get most of your news from FOX and FB links. You despise Colin Kaepernick, Nancy Pelosi, AOC and have some strong opinions about George Soros and BLM. Your 4th of July fireworks budget is quite high. You probably support the death penalty and I bet I know what your radio dial is tuned to.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining my issue with it all that well and again I know I sound prejudice but, to me, it comes off as a symbolic substitute way to just holler "USA! USA! USA!" when nobody is around to hear it. I hate assuming that anyone displaying it anywhere is 95% likely to be an insufferable rear end in a top hat about everything but here I am. It's gone from passive aggressive to aggressive aggressive - there's no real pride behind it so much as anger and "gently caress you, everyone else, if ya don't like it out git out!"

To me, a little sticker is one thing or flying the colors on Memorial Day, Veterans Day or 7/4 is one thing but going out of your way to make a huge show about how American you are is really off putting and seems specifically designed to trigger folks as well as to weed out in like minded "patriots". It's like in American History X when Ed Norton "puts up a flag" by taking off his shirt to reveal his nazi tats.

I'm flying an american flag right next to a pride flag because gently caress those assholes trying to act like they are the only americans.

Coelacanthian
Dec 23, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

I relate to this but also it's completely missing how many Evangelical, Christian Reformed, name your flavor devout Christians worldview functions. The fact that you see a separation between your (lack of) religious beliefs and the physical world around you is 100% not how they see it. From my anecdotal but extensive interactions with midwestern Christian Reformed folks, there is no separating these things. They see themselves as living an unwritten next chapter in the Bible - everything is a test or a miracle, and prayers have a direct, physical effect on the real world and that is self-evident to them. There is no question that America is Christian and represents God, and Antifa protesting American institutions and criticizing American leaders (the Christian ones, duh) is the work of Satan OR a test from God. Take yer pick. Black folks being killed by cops, same thing. Peterson's view seems to be the same thing, ascribing high-minded moral narratives to the daily physical struggles of life is important if you believe everything happens for a reason and God is an omnipotent good guy who also lets lovely things happen for reasons.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SpeakSlow posted:

Well, obviously. No offense taken

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

After listening to far more of him than any living thing should, I'm convinced that Mark Levin is the most hateful right wing radio host. All of the other ones I've heard are willing to act like human beings every once in a while, have a normal chat about something fun they enjoy, crack a joke, things like that. Mark Levin is just filled with nothing but pure hatred, it seems like it's impossible for him to enjoy a single thing. And while every right wing media personality hates anyone to the left of Hitler, he's unique in just going on and on about how much he despises anyone he disagrees with politically and hurls insult upon insult on them, in a way I haven't heard any other right wing personality do.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Yeah, sounding uncannily like Master Shake will do that to a person.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
He's basically a very angry overgrown toddler, since he's 100% convinced that his stupid nicknames for things are the most creative thing ever.

He does get a point for being spectacularly lazy, since playing the national anthem at the start of the show, frequently demanding "Mr. Producer!" replay bumper music, and various other things mean that he's maybe got to come up with 60-90 minutes of actual material for a 3 hour block, and most of that is just repeating whatever he just said, but louder or with a question mark on the end.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Ellis Henican lucked out by sounding like Stormy from Sealab, an annoying but much less insufferable character.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I'm actually unsure if Mark Levin or Ben Shapiro is worse to listen to, since Shapiro sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks joined the Klan (and had way too much coffee), and he's almost worse than Levin, since he spends a sizable percentage of his show jerking himself off about how great he is, or reading emails from listeners saying how great he is.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This stuff drives me insane

https://twitter.com/tomscocca/status/1509264241760608259?s=21&t=XTbFYwfZ_C6V2YUqhZX3mA

This is in response to CBS News hiring Trump flack Mick Mulvaney as an ‘analyst’

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I saw another scuttlebutt tweet that CBS hired Mulvaney in order to have GOP insider access since "the GOP are going to win the midterms."

Bullshit? Maybe. Plausible? Certainly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

I saw another scuttlebutt tweet that CBS hired Mulvaney in order to have GOP insider access since "the GOP are going to win the midterms."

Bullshit? Maybe. Plausible? Certainly.
I mean it’s almost identical to the right wing hiring spree that ‘liberal’ MSNBC went on post-Trump election with people like Greta VanSusteren and others

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean it’s almost identical to the right wing hiring spree that ‘liberal’ MSNBC went on post-Trump election with people like Greta VanSusteren and others

Which is still amazing to be seeing as how half their hires imploded and were gone from the network within 6 months (like VanSusteren) or just stopped being right wingers because they were left in the ideological dust by the further jump to the fringe by the rest of the right wing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Which is still amazing to be seeing as how half their hires imploded and were gone from the network within 6 months (like VanSusteren) or just stopped being right wingers because they were left in the ideological dust by the further jump to the fringe by the rest of the right wing.
Hugh Hewitt was another one that I forgot was with MSNBC briefly

Then again, MSNBC kept huge piece of poo poo Pat Buchanan around for years so....

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

Then again, MSNBC kept huge piece of poo poo Pat Buchanan around for years so....

Name recognition. Nobody gives a gently caress about Greta Van Susteren.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

azflyboy posted:

He's basically a very angry overgrown toddler, since he's 100% convinced that his stupid nicknames for things are the most creative thing ever.

Yeah he loves talking about the "Washington Compost" and "New York Slime." Rush was the same way though, before he died (lol), like he would always say "Debbie Blabbermouth Schultz," he never referred to her by her actual name.

quote:

He does get a point for being spectacularly lazy, since playing the national anthem at the start of the show, frequently demanding "Mr. Producer!" replay bumper music, and various other things mean that he's maybe got to come up with 60-90 minutes of actual material for a 3 hour block, and most of that is just repeating whatever he just said, but louder or with a question mark on the end.

My favorite thing the other night was he was playing clips from someone (I forget who) and he was like "Cut sixteen go!" All that played was something like "Well I think that-" and Levin just goes "SHUT UP, IDIOT!" and that was it, he didn't play the rest of the clip and didn't give any rebuttal to what the guy said.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
No one should ever discuss Mark Levin without prefacing it with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYz0RaZSMsA

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah he loves talking about the "Washington Compost" and "New York Slime." Rush was the same way though, before he died (lol), like he would always say "Debbie Blabbermouth Schultz," he never referred to her by her actual name.

My favorite thing the other night was he was playing clips from someone (I forget who) and he was like "Cut sixteen go!" All that played was something like "Well I think that-" and Levin just goes "SHUT UP, IDIOT!" and that was it, he didn't play the rest of the clip and didn't give any rebuttal to what the guy said.

I mean, that's just right wing in general, though. I'm over on the freep thread, and Freep still thinks "Obummer" is the height of comedy.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

azflyboy posted:

He's also often just reading or paraphrasing passages from his awful books.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Maggie is definitely right wing media https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1509676701139283973

Piell fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 1, 2022

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

"My secretary ate my homework" is a hell of an excuse for escaping a treason charge

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Ah, the Rose Mary Woods defense, I see. A classic maneuver.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

There was only one secretary in the White House who knew how to log calls?

Really? That’s the line she’s going to throw out there?

Pull the other one, it’s got bells on.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DarklyDreaming posted:

"My secretary ate my homework" is a hell of an excuse for escaping a treason charge

Fawn Hill
Faith Hill!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Wait, hope Hicks isn't faith Hill