Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Personally I'm into going hard a larboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Avast behind.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Swab the poop deck!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

How can it be a deconstruction, it’s exactly the same tone wise as 60s Batman

So, Batman wasn't...

How can I put this. Batman was silly in the 50s and 60s, but it wasn't in the same way. It's more that he did ridiculous things, but he was still presented as a serious character. You were meant to take him seriously.

Adam West Batman flipped the script and the comics started following suit- people even got upset at the time that they were making a mockery of the comics believe it or not.

So yeah. Batman the show was a satire in a way the comics weren't.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Burkion posted:

So, Batman wasn't...

How can I put this. Batman was silly in the 50s and 60s, but it wasn't in the same way. It's more that he did ridiculous things, but he was still presented as a serious character. You were meant to take him seriously.

Adam West Batman flipped the script and the comics started following suit- people even got upset at the time that they were making a mockery of the comics believe it or not.

This might be one of the best exchanges in comic book film history

quote:

Gordon: Could be any one of them, but which one? W.... Which ones?
O'Hara: [gasps]
Batman: Pretty fishy what happened to me on that ladder.
Gordon: You mean, where there's a fish, there could be a Penguin.
Robin: But wait, it happened at sea. See? "C" for Catwoman.
Batman: Yet, an exploding shark.... was pulling my leg.
Gordon: The Joker!
O'Hara: [It] all adds up to a sinister riddle. Riddle-er. Riddler?
Gordon: Oh, a thought strikes me. [exhales] So dreadful I scarcely dare give it utterance.
Batman: The four of them. Their forces combined....
Robin: Holy nightmare!

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Burkion posted:

So, Batman wasn't...

Adam West's Batman works because his Batman never winks at the audience nor does he act in self conscius way. This is Batman's world and these are his adventures. They might look silly for us, the watchers, but for the characters they are deadly serious.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fish of hemp posted:

Adam West's Batman works because his Batman never winks at the audience nor does he act in self conscius way. This is Batman's world and these are his adventures. They might look silly for us, the watchers, but for the characters they are deadly serious.

yea there's zero 'hah...look at this, aren't we fuckin silly' in West's Batman, it's 100% sincere bullshit and that's why it's delightful. Like you said yea it looks silly to us but half the joke is that the robot shark biting Batman's cape is treated exactly as a threat would be in the world of Batman. If you remove that by having him wink at the camera it's still a fun silly time but it's way weaker as a joke than just completely unironic and sincere 'holy mechanical megalodons, that robot shark is gonna eat you!'

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fish of hemp posted:

You mean like the bit in the movie with the giant gunpowder bomb?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSZJufHv5kg

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kwyndig posted:

Even his 4th-wall breaking is serious! Amazing! :discourse:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Even his 4th-wall breaking is serious! Amazing! :discourse:

yea I forgot how genuinely exasperated he sounded for that line. West was a drat treasure.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

CharlestheHammer posted:

No it really isn’t. The clone saga actually wasn’t really referenced all that much until I wanna say 2015? I think that’s when Dan Slott did his clone conspiracy storyline which opened the floodgates of it coming back as they try to make Ben Reilly (who was the least popular part of the saga) a thing. It never takes but they try.
[...]
But for like 15 years spider man stayed as far away from it as possible
It was closer to ten years, they teased Ben Reilly coming back several years beforehand during Brand New Day circa 2009, but instead it turned out to be Kaine. Kaine (as Scarlet Spider) even had his own ongoing series for a couple of years, before "dying" in the Spider-Verse crossover almost directly before the Clone Conspiracy storyline.

So you're not wrong that they avoided it like the plague for a long time before bringing it all back in, just that the door cracked open about five years prior.

Burkion posted:

So, Batman wasn't...

Superhero comics weren't really selling that well by the 1950s, Batman being no exception so they tried a lot of things to goose sales. The first was actually having Batman and Superman team up in 1952, which led to a lot more sci-fi/fantasy/weird stories in Batman comics for the next decade, whether it's Batman going into space, meeting Bat-Mite, "imaginary stories" about Batman becoming king or a robot or getting married, etc. etc.
This didn't do much to halt the decline of Batman's popularity, so the book got reassigned from Jack Schiff (who had been editing all of the Batman comics since the early 1940s) to Julie Schwartz, who made a big promotional deal about The New Look Batman, which attempted to realign Batman to being a relatively realistic detective/crimefighter to try to appeal to the readers who were buying the then-new Marvel Super Heroes.

So then in 1966, the Batman TV show comes along and is honestly pretty much in line (albeit with a smaller effects budget and more winking) the Batman comics the 1950s and 1960s, but in stark contrast with Schwartz's attempt to revamp the comic. So with some amount of consternation, they re-revamped the comics to be more in line with the TV show's campiness. Within a couple of years Batmania faded and the TV show was canceled and the campy comics were back to selling badly, which is when the Dennis O'Neil/Neal Adams/et al. comics reverted back to the reversion they'd made five years earlier, only this time it stuck around for pretty much the next fifty years.

I suppose it's possible that you were meant to take Rip Van Batman and Zebra Batman and Batman Jones and The Bizarre Batman Genie and etc. etc. very seriously, but it seems unlikely.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

Personally I'm into going hard a larboard

BEAT TO QUARTERS

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Aces High posted:

For some reason I thought we were talking about Ultimate Spider-Man, where a very much adult Black Cat has been hitting on Spidey since the first time they exchange words. Can't remember if it was before or after Peter's 16th birthday, but when she finally has the chance to get intimate with him, the reveal of him still being a teenager was a huge enough shock that she vomits into his lap.

Certainly more tasteful than a few publication years earlier when Peter and Wolverine got bodyswapped and Wolvie proceeded to make advances on MJ

It's funny that the comics can draw teenage MJ as over-sexualised as the current artist wants but it is still wrong for Wolverine to make the moves on her.

Although from context I guess both of those things were actually treated as normal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m pretty sure the fact he was making moves on her was more weird in that he was in Peters body so it was functionally attempted rape.

Though I don’t remember teenage MJ being sexualized all that much unless you have a hard rule against midriffs

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m pretty sure the fact he was making moves on her was more weird in that he was in Peters body so it was functionally attempted rape.

Though I don’t remember teenage MJ being sexualized all that much unless you have a hard rule against midriffs

It's more a joke about how comics depict women and also depict them in miniature statues that are sold to the fanbase.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I AM GRANDO posted:

He tells the story to a kid to help him understand that it’s not his fault that he was molested, that there’s nothing wrong with him, and that he will get help if he tells adults in his life what happened. It’s a great move for helping to communicate with kids, even if it’s silly when transposed into the melodramatic world of regular superhero comics. I’m surprised the company allowed it, honestly.

For all his faults, Stan Lee was very big on social programs. He let The Electric Factory use Spider-Man for free as long as all of his lines were written for the audience instead of spoken.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That explains something I had always wondered about.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

oh sweet jesus, looking back through the Ultimate comics and I forgot Pete had that loving awful birdhair look

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

For all his faults, Stan Lee was very big on social programs. He let The Electric Factory use Spider-Man for free as long as all of his lines were written for the audience instead of spoken.

This was before my time, what do you mean? That he had to speak directly towards the audience rather than the other characters on the show?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

This was before my time, what do you mean? That he had to speak directly towards the audience rather than the other characters on the show?

Speech bubbles would pop up on screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVDX9r3RhnY&t=119s

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CharlestheHammer posted:

No it really isn’t. The clone saga actually wasn’t really referenced all that much until I wanna say 2015? I think that’s when Dan Slott did his clone conspiracy storyline which opened the floodgates of it coming back as they try to make Ben Reilly (who was the least popular part of the saga) a thing. It never takes but they try.

Before that the only references to the saga were the non canon book were they let the original authors tell the story they had planned and the Ultimate universe which did it’s own version of it.

But for like 15 years spider man stayed as far away from it as possible

I mean that's pretty much the pattern mind; comics do something embarassing and the writers and editors just bury it and hope everyone forgets and it becomes a forgotten joke like Superman Red and Blue, but about 15 years later if they're not stopped the writers decide to bring it up again and Correct the Record/Fix It and somehow make it even cringier than it was to start with.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kwyndig posted:

Why are robins shorts

so short

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

oldpainless posted:

Why are robins shorts

so short

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Edge & Christian posted:

I suppose it's possible that you were meant to take Rip Van Batman and Zebra Batman and Batman Jones and The Bizarre Batman Genie and etc. etc. very seriously, but it seems unlikely.

Grant Morrison sure did.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Der Kyhe posted:

It is actually a bit stupid that I can count at least 4 of those, which have been adopted by alt-right nazis or radical left. The political movements really have no imagination do they?

Still desperate to learn which radical left-wing groups are using Galactus as their symbol or whatever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Punisher but man they should use galactic

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

Still desperate to learn which radical left-wing groups are using Galactus as their symbol or whatever.

I would like to know this too. There aren’t really any left-wing Marvel heroes, even. The Punisher is at least an accurate representation of the beliefs of the average police officer, only he’s not racist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Grant Morrison sure did.

Grant Morrison can be maybe overrated but he's the best because he understands comic books are supposed to be fun.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

"they may be drinkers Robin..but they're also human beings..and may be salvaged.."

:unsmith:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so sarah z made a video i was looking forward to on idiocracy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o52zD-aGqjA

this is probably a real good example of something that didn't age well. back in 2007 when i first saw it (on youtube), i thought this was the funniest and politically astute movies of the era. looking back, while i still think it's pretty funny, there's definitely a lot that i'm looking back at with a tad bit of embarrassment.

lots of people pointed out the problematic eugenics subtext, but sarah z also points out some stuff that i didn't really think about too much. about how the solution to the movie's woes is a smart person leading them and all the stupids getting out of the way. i mean, yes that's how the movie ends, which i knew at the time, but it never really clicked until now. sort of makes sense considering mike judge is a libertarian (albeit, as far as libertarians go, a pretty okay one).

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Holy heart failure!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mr Interweb posted:

lots of people pointed out the problematic eugenics subtext
It's not subtext. The film flat out states that the world is degenerating because stupid people are outbreeding smart people.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And yet every time the movie gets mentioned, goons scuttle out of the woodwork to defend its themes :sigh:

It reminds me of that comedy sketch about the guy making a friend watch an old movie he hadn't seen since he was a teen and had totally forgotten how trash it actually was.

Only, replace 'blatant homophobic and rape' with 'blatant homophobia and eugenics apologism'.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And yet every time the movie gets mentioned, goons scuttle out of the woodwork to defend its themes :sigh:

It reminds me of that comedy sketch about the guy making a friend watch an old movie he hadn't seen since he was a teen and had totally forgotten how trash it actually was.

Only, replace 'blatant homophobic and rape' with 'blatant homophobia and eugenics apologism'.

There’s some funny gags in the movie, especially visually (St. God’s Hospital, Starbucks does sex work, like ‘full body lattes’, the massive size of Costco, Fudd Ruckers slowly becoming Butt Fuckers, etc.) which I think initially allowed the movie to gain popularity. Unfortunately, the rest of the movie has aged so horribly/was always straight garbage if you gave it more than 2 seconds thought, while continuing to be referenced for the worst reasons.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

the conversation that is happening right now is the only one I've ever seen on here

it's basically a meme at this point

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
She's right in that "it's what plants crave" is basically the only part of it that's still got any cachet.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

That movie has a lot, a lot of problems

That said, this goes down as one of my all-time fave line readings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8zNsUTWsOc

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I feel like you could have done the same movie with "mindless consumerism increasingly becomes people's only option in a capitalist society" sort of take rather than "man idiots pop out a lot of kids, here's how they'll gently caress up the world" and it wouldn't be as gross, maybe.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Brawnfire posted:

I feel like you could have done the same movie with "mindless consumerism increasingly becomes people's only option in a capitalist society" sort of take rather than "man idiots pop out a lot of kids, here's how they'll gently caress up the world" and it wouldn't be as gross, maybe.

Judge would have to think a little harder with his conservative brains tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Have you guys considered that Idiocracy...is basically a documentary?