Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Is it a conical fermentor? I use SSBrewtech's buckets and they have an elbow that avoids the sediment. I've bottled straight from it without much sediment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Does your fermenter have a racking arm on the valve at the bottom? Mine has a little bent tube that will stick up past the yeast cake after the yeast drops. The first bit through the valve will have sediment but you can discard that. They're often designed so you can rotate them (righty tight only so the orings don't lose their seal)

The bigger problem is adding the sugar if you bottle directly from the fermenter. You probably don't want to drop it into the fermenter since it would be hard to mix without kicking up the yeast. I've previously added an appropriate amount of sterilized sugar solution to bottles after sanitizing, then racked off enough beer to fill each bottle. You can also use the typical bottling bucket.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

LaserWash posted:

Anyone have a malt bill they build their orange juice NEIPAs from?

Tried this a few years back, been brewing it multiple times a year since then.

37.5% Rahr 2 Row (5 lbs)
37.5% Golden Promise (or similar like Pearl, Maris Otter) (5 lbs)
7.5% Flaked Oats (1 lb)
7.5% Flaked Barley 1 lb)
7.5 % Weyerman Wheat (1 lb)
2.5% Honey Malt (1/4 lb)

I just use whatever Pale I have instead of 2 Row and GP, plus I can't get Honey Malt so I use biscuit.
Works fine.

Original recipe here;
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/northeast-style-ipa.568046/page-146#post-8203827

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Eeyo posted:

Does your fermenter have a racking arm on the valve at the bottom? Mine has a little bent tube that will stick up past the yeast cake after the yeast drops. The first bit through the valve will have sediment but you can discard that. They're often designed so you can rotate them (righty tight only so the orings don't lose their seal)

The bigger problem is adding the sugar if you bottle directly from the fermenter. You probably don't want to drop it into the fermenter since it would be hard to mix without kicking up the yeast. I've previously added an appropriate amount of sterilized sugar solution to bottles after sanitizing, then racked off enough beer to fill each bottle. You can also use the typical bottling bucket.

Yeah my Anvil fermenter has a racking arm as well so I can not suck up all the trub.

You can use your heat belt no issues with it.. I use one on mine all the time

Bottling buckets are king! just transfer to a bucket with a hose so that it swirls. the only time I've ever had carb issues with this was a Wee heavy where the yeast I think just was tired and dead after making a 9% beer.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

The fermenter I've got (Mangrove Jack's) is flat bottomed, on the inside the tap is just an open hole. It is a good distance from the base so I'll give it a try when the time comes - maybe it's high enough not to be an issue with sediment.

Despite come temperatures last night there's plenty of bubbling happening today so the heat belt has been working well

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

That looks like a copy of my anvil, although mine has a semi conical bottom. It's not flat but isn't full on deep like a lot of the 'true' conical ones I've seen.

Does your spigot have threads on the inside if so I'd get a racking arm to put on it so you can get all the beer and leave the trub.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

freelop posted:

The fermenter I've got (Mangrove Jack's) is flat bottomed, on the inside the tap is just an open hole. It is a good distance from the base so I'll give it a try when the time comes - maybe it's high enough not to be an issue with sediment.

Despite come temperatures last night there's plenty of bubbling happening today so the heat belt has been working well

That's a common and cheap design these days it seems. It's the same shape as my hot water tank, only without the elements on the bottom. It won't let you rack without getting some sediment, but most of it will likely be under the valve on the inside. On mine there's about 1/4 - 1/3", but once it gets started if the trub is compact enough you'll leave most of it behind. If you want to have less on the valve side, you can just stick something underneath so it settles more on the other side of the cylinder and away from the valve.

I need to find one of those heat belts, because all the solutions I've tried haven't been able to keep up with the temps in my garage. Even with insulation in the box and heating mats it just crashes down in temp.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Just posting to say a beer I made ended up getting second in it's category.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

tater_salad posted:

Just posting to say a beer I made ended up getting second in it's category.

Nice! What was the style?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Fruit beer. Was a modified wit with some blood orange extract

Took a wit recipe, pulled out the coriander and I think I only used 1/2 the bitter orange peel (I may have used the full 1ozl. Sadly I did not put it into Brewers friend as I did it so of course it was the beer that got a medal.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 14, 2022

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
This popped up on one of the YouTube channels I watch, in case anyone is interested in brewing some Ukrainian beers. https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/1JWo527pp3Yb6Q8Ptk1Bu56e_gUlHx8sE

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

freelop posted:

Bottled last night, decided to use the tap just to see how bad it could be and it ended up being my clearest brew yet :toot:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This stout kit said 1 gallon recipe but it actually expects a 2 gallon fermenter and 1.5 gallons worth of wort. I only have a 1 gallon pot and fermenter. Gonna try condensing the recipe to 1 gallon total. Wish me luck :v:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

This stout kit said 1 gallon recipe but it actually expects a 2 gallon fermenter and 1.5 gallons worth of wort. I only have a 1 gallon pot and fermenter. Gonna try condensing the recipe to 1 gallon total. Wish me luck :v:

A 2 gallon fermenter is so the yeast doesn't make a mess all over your counter. You always need to leave headspace for the krausen to grow into for beer. The 1 gallon pot isn't a problem as you can add boiled water after the boil. The instructions assume a full volume boil, but you can get away with less and top off. Just don't over fill the fermenter or it will create a very sticky mess.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hmm, I wonder if the amount of yeast/krausen will scale with the amount of DME. That could be a concern. Maybe I’ll underfill it slightly despite having slightly less than a gallon of liquid total right now.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Can you get a blowoff tube and run that out the top of your fermenter? Might buy you quite a bit more room safely.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
My club has been doing a barrel fill project for a while - everyone brings in their 5gal batches, fills, then gets their barrel-aged beer back. The first round came out with some acetaldehyde (green apple) but it was pretty mild. We filled round 2 with a Scotch Ale base and it come out soured like a really 'clean' kettle sour so now I have 10gallons of sour barrel-aged Scotch Ale to try to do something productive with. We didn't refill the barrel, so now I ALSO have 10gallons of Red Ale on hand.

I was thinking of leaning into the sour and dumping some tart cherry juice and orange peel into the scotch ale and seeing if I can get a bit of an Old Fashioned thing going on.

Not great problems to have.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
At Homebrew Con in 2019, there was a club from Texas that had a bunch of barrel soured beers. They had this wee heavy that was unbelievably good. I made a replica but it was missing that oak flavor.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

robotsinmyhead posted:

I was thinking of leaning into the sour and dumping some tart cherry juice and orange peel into the scotch ale and seeing if I can get a bit of an Old Fashioned thing going on.

This is the way.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Can you get a blowoff tube and run that out the top of your fermenter? Might buy you quite a bit more room safely.

It ended up being fine. No blowout or anything.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I had hoped to take advantage of attending a virtual conference today to brew a beer. Unfortunately, it looks like my mill has kicked the bucket, looks like the knurls are the issue. Anyone have suggestions for a new one? I'm contemplating getting something motorized to make life easier.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

are you running it backwards?

I have a "crop duster" which has worked well for a year (I just started milling last year)

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I have a Cereal Killer which I like a lot. I have mine hooked up to a gearmotor, which turns it real nice.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

tater_salad posted:

are you running it backwards?

I have a "crop duster" which has worked well for a year (I just started milling last year)

Not running backwards, if I spin the other way it throws the grain, non-milled, in the bucket. I did more a thorough look and definitely missing a bit of the knurling on one of the rollers. It's lasted me about 6 years now so had a good run.

This is the one time I hate not having a local store.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Is the driven roller just kind of spinning and not grabbing the passive one? I had that happen, taking it all the way apart and cleaning the grain dust off of everything fixed it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

more falafel please posted:

Is the driven roller just kind of spinning and not grabbing the passive one? I had that happen, taking it all the way apart and cleaning the grain dust off of everything fixed it.

Yeah, I tried that already. First thing I did was clean it out well. I also blow out the dust every time I use it to prevent build up, etc. It's been slowly getting worse over the last few years so I ordered a new three roller one for not much more than what I paid for it.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
+1 for cereal killer. I've had mine for 6 or 7 years and never had an issue. As for the motorized part of it.... I know nothing except to say I know you can.

There's probably some idiot on Homebrewtalk that has motorized it (in a really dangerous, not-so-safe way) that you could steal plans from.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

LaserWash posted:

+1 for cereal killer. I've had mine for 6 or 7 years and never had an issue. As for the motorized part of it.... I know nothing except to say I know you can.

There's probably some idiot on Homebrewtalk that has motorized it (in a really dangerous, not-so-safe way) that you could steal plans from.

Most people just hook it up to a cheap drill, but you can absolutely just hook a motor up to it. Mine is about as old as yours and the only issue is the hopper on top is regularly loose now.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Here's my whole Cereal Killer setup.

The motor is a 173 RPM gearmotor I bought as a working pull from a surplus place many years ago. I had this coupled to a different mill previously, so when I built the cart, I 3D printed a different coupler half. I also 3D printed a little riser to align the motor and mill shafts, and an adapter to let me use a PET fermenter as a hopper instead of the stock one, which I found too small.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
That's nifty. I crunched the numbers and where I live I would never really recoup the investment, even if I have the crushed grain shipped to my door half the time out of lazyness, but it looks like fun.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
So last year I bought some copper coil and DIYed a double layer immersion wort chiller. It worked well enough at first, but then I got a different kettle and it's just a bit taller than the quantity I normally brew, so a lot of the coils sit up and outside of the wort and it doesn't cool as quickly as I'd like. I was looking at trying a plate chiller or counterflow chiller, and was wondering if anyone had any compelling reasons to choose either one.

I'd rather buy once cry once, and my goal is to buy whatever is simplest and easiest to work with. Two units that sort of caught my eye after five minutes on youtube university are the Exchillerator and Blichmann Therminator, but am completely open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Back to doing spontaneous again, and I’m hoping that being set under a giant spruce tree and near a maple will help out with some good yeasts/bacteria for it. Lost about 2.5 gallons to protein break and evaporation, but adding back water to hit my gravity is the easy part.

Here’s hoping it does something good as I haven’t done it in this location yet. I’ll need 10+ gallons total for the barrel and top ups. But fingers crossed it turns into something good.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:/

Like, this is pretty obviously infected, right? I’ve never seen the floating bits or the white dots before. What bothers me the most is that it doesn’t smell off, so now I’m scared of getting botulism or some poo poo.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 9, 2022

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Pollyanna posted:

:/

Like, this is pretty obviously infected, right? I’ve never seen the floating bits or the white dots before. What bothers me the most is that it doesn’t smell off, so now I’m scared of getting botulism or some poo poo.

Looks like yeast rafts to me. Sometimes yeast just does that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What about the white growth at the top of the krausen?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Pollyanna posted:

What about the white growth at the top of the krausen?

On the side? Again, looks like yeast. Especially if you sprinkled dry yeast, that might be a few grains that didn't really make it into the wort but still rehydrated.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hhhhhuh. Okay. I figured yeast would look less like strep throat.

It’s hard to tell what growth is normal vs. what isn’t, though I have seen some really gross poo poo on Google images. That’s good I suppose tho! It tastes fine (for beer), I’ll rack it.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

If it doesn't smell like vinegar, and doesn't taste funky, you're all good

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah that looks perfectly fine.

Finally got around to brewing after my mill broke. Had an interesting issue after the mash it was very light/white compared to the other times I've brewed this. Completely confused as to why it was such a different color. Same grain, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Fuzzy or off color is bad. Yeasty color not so bad