Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gazprom offices targeted in EU antitrust raids - source

quote:

Russian gas company Gazprom's (GAZP.MM) offices were raided by EU antitrust regulators, a person familiar with the matter said on Wednesday, as the EU watchdog ramped up its investigation into the company's gas supplies to Europe.

EU antitrust chief Margrethe Vestager in January asked gas companies including Gazprom about tight supplies after accusations the Russian giant was withholding extra production that could be released to lower rising prices.

Vestager was likely to intensify information gathering on Gazprom's European businesses, a person familiar with the regulator's thinking told Reuters last month. read more

The European Commission declined to comment. Gazprom Export said it had no comment.

The person declined to provide details of the EU raids. Bloomberg was the first to report the raids in Gazprom's offices in Germany.

Gazprom and the Kremlin have repeatedly denied withholding gas supplies, saying that all firm and long-term obligations have been met.

Companies found breaching EU antitrust rules face fines up to 10% of their global turnover. Gazprom dodged a fine in 2018 after agreeing to reform its pricing arrangements and pave the way for rivals in eastern Europe following an investigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I didn't realize that nuclear payloads for Su-24 were even a thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

alex314 posted:

Also regarding violent sex crimes - to this day my wife's grandma claims Germans* were better than Russians* during WW2. She was probably around 10 in 1944, but you can easily guess why someone living in the right bank of Vistula could have a lifelong burning hatred for Russians* after having Red Army front stay there for about 6 months.

*she doesn't see any distinction between Soviets and Russians, same with Germans and Axis

My great grandmother was never comfortable talking about that period, but she made clear what she thought of the soviet "liberation" forces.

The other side of my mother's family was sent to Siberia.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Where did you look? April 2021 median was 40k roubles.

Just some random Google search. Now I see one result for 56k RUB and other for 110k RUB.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cicero posted:

In terms of Russian capabilities it's not really any different is it? They were never gonna conventionally invade Finland or Sweden, all they could do was threaten nukes, which is the same thing they can do now.
Well they were never going to invade Ukraine either and here we are.

But yeah it would've been even less likely to straight up invade Finald of course. Still, their ability to do anything, even if it's just posturing, is significantly weakened, they're in the poo poo diplomatically and economically. If it will "ruin the relationship" as I've heard, now it can't ruin in much further. Plus it will help Ukraine by making russia spend energy on getting mad over it, which would be nice, or even perhaps moving some forces north.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I'm a moron

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 30, 2022

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Willo567 posted:

Finland and Sweden are NATO countries

Finland is not in NATO

Edit: Neither is Sweden.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Willo567 posted:

They're NOTO

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Willo567 posted:

No.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Willo567 posted:

They're NATO-affiliated, have some agreements, and attend a lot of the meetings but they are not officially in NATO. That would be why Denmark and Norway are saying that they'd support them joining, and the Finnish government has been floating the plan to join since a couple weeks after the war began.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
My bad, I thought they were

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Willo567 posted:

My bad, I thought they were

It's definitely an 'pretty much everything but article 5 protection' situation but that protection becomes a lot more appealing when Russia starts a shooting war.

Also Zelenskyy spoke with Biden this morning - official read out below:
https://twitter.com/jseldin/status/1509210223688527876?s=20&t=-mm5MsGd_SGAzi6FzN_chg

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Companies found breaching EU antitrust rules face fines up to 10% of their global turnover. Gazprom dodged a fine in 2018 after agreeing to reform its pricing arrangements and pave the way for rivals in eastern Europe following an investigation.

hah, jokes on you EU, 10% of their turnover in rubles is about 50 bux.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Videos that make you go :thunk:
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1509212495029977089?t=aRDsbfd44qVCsd6BzAcr9A&s=19

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

You're projecting something there that you do to some people in this thread, not just me.

My original post was not responding to you, but for some reason you jumped on it as if I had been. I had responded to the notion (NOT FROM YOU) that Ukraine can't be in the EU or NATO because of their rules.

I used the word "exception" only in a NATO context. Re-read what I wrote.

I also never wrote about Hungarians specifically or even used the word "Hungarians".

It's not all about you, and it's not necessary to jump on people's posts like that, like I'm seeing you do in other cases as well.

So, the opening prompt was:

Only that not everybody is a beep boop computer and would probably understand a rule that would exclude certain areas for X amount of years or similar.

The history and present time of NATO and the EU is full of exceptions, such as the Eastern European countries not being allowed to have their citizens move to and work everywhere initially IIRC. Similarly, some NATO members have opted out of some obligations.

Not allowing Ukraine to join because Article 5 would apply immediately is a self-serving excuse.

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I think they are referring to the time when in 2004 when Hungary and others joined the EU, a lot of the older EU countries restricted the newer members citizens from applying for jobs. I for example was not allowed to work in France but was allowed to work in the UK etc. I was pretty pissed at the time, being treated as a "second class EU citizen".

Yes, that’s what I meant.

Emphasis mine. I misunderstood what exactly was your EU argument, and pointed out that it's not an exception to the rules that Latvian non-citizens do not enjoy full privileges of EU citizens. That is something I hear quite frequently when people argue that the EU goes out of its way to mistreat its Eastern European members. You then clarified what was your EU argument, and for that clarified example my opinion is identical, that EU is not full of exceptions where they mistreat Eastern European member states. To that end, I pointed out that a transition period is a transition period by design. Hence, what is normal and what is an exception in a transition period should be measured against other transition periods, and not the final state the transition leads towards.

Your points about NATO, Ukraine? I wasn't talking about them at all, I just chimed in about EU treatment of Eastern European member states.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Have the Swedes weighed in recently? Last I heard was the Swedish PM saying this

https://twitter.com/HKaaman/status/1501218920035926021?s=20&t=aWerlVipVI3RVAMgaZ3Y3w

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

alex314 posted:

Just some random Google search. Now I see one result for 56k RUB and other for 110k RUB.

I can tell you from Rosstat data that for April 2021 the gross monthly income for Russia was 40k median, 56k average. 110k could be average for St. Petersburg or Moscow.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So why does Putin love this stout maniac so much? Was this entire war his idea?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

SpiritOfLenin posted:

it should be noted that this guy is notorious for talking poo poo on twitter, and a member of the finnish far right (i'm not fully certain why he is the head of the foreign affairs committee, but he is in the opposition, not in the government. its an advisory body as far as I've understood it). however, it certainly seems like finland is on the cusp of sending an application to join NATO based on the general mood among the people and the political parties - earlier today the president stated in an interview, that he thinks the general opinion among finns is provably that we would want to go to NATO right now based on multiple recent gallups, so a referendum wouldn't be necessary, and that he thinks two thirds of our parliament would vote for joining NATO right now.

Well, the fact that a True Finn representative is pro NATO is rather notable, since they, like most Euro far right parties, including our Swedish one, has been NATO sceptics. We start to see the same switch for the Swedish Democrats here, as they try and clean their pro Putin image off.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Man these new Russian takes are just wonderful : Jews funded the Nazis.

Good stuff all around glad to see the TRUTH is finally being revealed

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Crow Buddy posted:

It is incredibly scary that we are this level of cultural/political missing context between some of our nuclear capable societies. (And if Russia has pegged us THIS wrong, have we similarly pegged them wrong too?)

I can guess (with a heightened awareness of who loving knows anymore) at the reason they would provoke like that. How they cannot realize their expected outcome is the least likely to occur is baffling, and the exact opposite is almost guaranteed.

It is going to be VERY exciting times for the next few years as we watch this lack of context drive miscalculations and geo-political brinksmanship.

Yeah, the impression I'm getting right now is that there really isn't much coherent organization on the Russian side at all. It's just a bunch of different competing interests all trying to throw their weight around and impress Putin, but Putin seems super isolated and it's not clear he understands what's going on in any realistic way.

If I were gonna bet on a successor I'd bet kadyrov.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nessus posted:

He keeps internal politics of Chechnya under control - that’s the full utility of Kadyrov, except for I guess some token assassinations where FSB getting caught could constitute bad decorum.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If I were gonna bet on a successor I'd bet kadyrov.

Kadyrov won’t survive the night after Putin dies in mysterious circumstances, he’s loathed by the rest of elite.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

He keeps internal politics of Chechnya under control - that’s the full utility of Kadyrov, except for I guess some token assassinations where FSB getting caught could constitute bad decorum.
Wasn't Chechnya another war of choice for Putin?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

PerilPastry posted:

Have the Swedes weighed in recently? Last I heard was the Swedish PM saying this

https://twitter.com/HKaaman/status/1501218920035926021?s=20&t=aWerlVipVI3RVAMgaZ3Y3w

It's shifting. There is a pro NATO public majority among the population now, which is a big shift. However the Social Democrats are still not ready to commit, probably in large part due to internal strife since they have a non insignificant NATO sceptic left wing in the party. The far right Swedish Demorats are also not completely ready to leave their NATO scepticism, although their voter base is overwhelmingly pro NATO. I expect a Finnish application would shift us to an application finally.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Was there any confirmation of this, apart from Nexta and whatever "Aviation Herald" is? I've tries googling it and I'm not finding much else, and neither of those seem to be particularly reliable sources.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Nessus posted:

Kadyrov is what the monkeys paw spit out after Putin wished for someone to keep Chechnya under control for him

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Man these new Russian takes are just wonderful : Jews funded the Nazis.

Good stuff all around glad to see the TRUTH is finally being revealed

Well it is half-true, it just wasn't voluntarily funded by the Jews.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
The Washington Post came out with a report on Russian logistics problems today: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/30/russia-military-logistics-supply-chain/

It included this graphic, which may be useful for anyone wondering what a Russian BTG might look like:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Was there any confirmation of this, apart from Nexta and whatever "Aviation Herald" is? I've tries googling it and I'm not finding much else, and neither of those seem to be particularly reliable sources.

There was a more official one, I posted it yesterday.

https://twitter.com/buddyyakov/status/1508844013826154497

Nessus posted:

Wasn't Chechnya another war of choice for Putin?

The second one was, the first one isn’t as clear cut.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

steinrokkan posted:

Denazifying?
No, policies based on Mein Kampf!

Woops this hammer and sickle logo shouldn't be on there either.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Play posted:

It might be 'normal' and perfectly fine to do so, but thinking that most people would rather poo poo out in the cold into a pit if they had another option seems silly and a little paternalistic. They should have the option, they don't because most of the money in Russia is sucked up by oligarchs and criminals and much of the rest is lost to corruption. Not to mention that that's only one effect of lack of running water, plumbing is something that a country as 'powerful' as Russia should be able to provide to all their people.
Yeah. I mean, I have a garden. I could go and crap in it right now. I also have indoor plumbing. It's better.

Weyd
Nov 26, 2009

The Washington Post came out with a report on Russian logistics problems today: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/30/russia-military-logistics-supply-chain/

It included this graphic, which may be useful for anyone wondering what a Russian BTG might look like:

I think I see the problem: "One tow truck for lighter vehicles and one for towing tanks and cannons."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nessus posted:

because he is the only one Putin trusts because he is a fully mad putin creature.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1509129773414506499

:3:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

This war really puts into perspective how advanced and well oiled the U.S. war machine is that they can deploy a standing army in Iraq/Afghanistan within a month or two halfway across the world and sustain it. Russia is having huge problems even after months of build up invading a next door neighbor.

Just a reminder when comparing armies by size and equipment that's only one factor, force projection is far more complicated.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

There was a more official one, I posted it yesterday.

Thanks! Yeah, definitely sounds like confirmation. The favt.ru website does seem to mostly still be down, too, although some Russian websites are geoblocked so I'm not entirely sure.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

That entire backdrop is giving me some real "a poor person's idea of a rich person" vibes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Roadie posted:

That entire backdrop is giving me some real "a poor person's idea of a rich person" vibes.

chuds are gonna chud, even rich dictator failsons. trumps the same way basicaly.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Kadyrov won’t survive the night after Putin dies in mysterious circumstances, he’s loathed by the rest of elite.

Also, racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Popete posted:

This war really puts into perspective how advanced and well oiled the U.S. war machine is that they can deploy a standing army in Iraq/Afghanistan within a month or two halfway across the world and sustain it. Russia is having huge problems even after months of build up invading a next door neighbor.

Just a reminder when comparing armies by size and equipment that's only one factor, force projection is far more complicated.

Yeah I used to find myself wondering why there's so many people in the US army who all seem to randomly live in suburbs and go on deployments only to come back later like its a business trip. I kept thinking holy poo poo all these people are risking their lives on a regular basis... Then I realized many of them are not actually on the front lines, they're basic combat trained admin staff who are responsible for the intricate supply chain, accounting and transport dispatch related stuff that goes into planning a massive amount of supply and demand for front line combat units.

It's such a non-sexy part of the war effort and yet I'd argue it's probably one of the most important jobs you can do... Wondering if actual combat personnel like 11Bs are actually a minority of the army.