Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I guess at a certain point she could get fed up or i dont know i dont watch the show, it just seems weird. Like she was infatuated with 19th. Century San Francisco. Doesn't want to go back - she's not done listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

See I guess this is what people are talking about with these shows. Like in old star treks when they would time travel or discuss earth's past it was with some measue, like "humanity hasnt solved all it's problems yet but there is plenty of hope" and now it's like

"Earth is such a shithole. The past *looking at camera and winking* is disgusting. Wretched humans! Maybe we deserve to die."

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Also, Sarah Silverman was there!

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Automatic Slim posted:

Star Trek ensembles generally get shafted in the movies, but the bridge crew got shine in ST: III, IV, and curiously, V.

I felt VI did an excellent job featuring the supporting characters and making them feel important.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PostNouveau posted:

Guinan is here and recast and really pissed off, like super duper pissed off about the state of humanity.

I’m not gonna watch it cuz lol gently caress watching Picard, but how do they justify the recast after very explicitly NOT recasting her earlier in the show?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mulaney Power Move posted:

So how long has she been on earth in this one? Like if she was in 19th century San Francisco is 2024 supposed to be the worst point in human history from her perspective?

You could say that from her point of view planets of the 19th century are kinda all like that, but in the 21st century we're really loving it up and might just drive ourselves into extinction so she's gotten depressed about our fate and how by this point we should be doing better but instead she can see the armageddon we did suffer and barely survive in Trek, right there on the horizon.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Gutcruncher posted:

I’m not gonna watch it cuz lol gently caress watching Picard, but how do they justify the recast after very explicitly NOT recasting her earlier in the show?

They needed a young Guinan and Whoopi Goldberg is old.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i wonder what about 2024 is the turning point that leads humanity to fascism in the star trek future if we have already witnessed that the good future had a terrible fascist world war three future decades later anyway

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

sweet geek swag posted:

They needed a young Guinan and Whoopi Goldberg is old.

Personally I say loving bravo for them recasting instead of using zombie computer faces

"Earth is such a shithole. The past *looking at camera and winking* is disgusting. Wretched humans! Maybe we deserve to die."

They're right. Guinan is right to jet after 2016 - 2024 and been waiting over a century for things to improve, and world war three is about to break out and the climate is loving collapsing.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 30, 2022

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i bet the twist is instead of stopping the fascism in 2024 they need to support it in order to get to ww3 and fat drug addicted soldiers that eventually leads us to the post atomic horror zephram cochrane first contact future

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

i bet the twist is instead of stopping the fascism in 2024 they need to support it in order to get to ww3 and fat drug addicted soldiers that eventually leads us to the post atomic horror zephram cochrane first contact future

Elnor comes back but he’s just shouting racist and homophobic slurs at all times while Jurati programs the Borg Queen to funnel all the world’s money to the Republican Party.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

HD DAD posted:

Elnor comes back but he’s just shouting racist and homophobic slurs at all times while Jurati programs the Borg Queen to funnel all the world’s money to the Republican Party.

Q gets more senile and confused and his new catchphrase is, "I'm just asking questions..."

Anyway, Guinan saw Earth's Great Filter getting more and more like big, fat wall. The Mark Twain charm can only last so long.

Is her bar in 2024 on Forward Ave. also called "10"? Because that makes no sense, except for "I can sense timelines" or whatever she hinted at.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

More or less the plot of those Fantastic Beasts movies except WW2 not WW3

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
It's all a big misunderstand, the one thing that changed in the timeline wasn't in 2024 it was in 2016. The thing that happened that didn't in the original timeline took place at Cincinnati Zoo and set the ball rolling for the all the catastrophe to come.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MikeJF posted:

You could say that from her point of view planets of the 19th century are kinda all like that, but in the 21st century we're really loving it up and might just drive ourselves into extinction so she's gotten depressed about our fate and how by this point we should be doing better but instead she can see the armageddon we did suffer and barely survive in Trek, right there on the horizon.

19th century Guinan wasn't an ancient wise alien lady. She was a teenager on a gap year in rebellion against her parents.

Also what specifically about the picard show is undoing time's arrow?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"if we don't go back and make sure 9/11 happens, the Federation will never be formed!!"

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

(in extremely old, tired, and confused patrick stewart voice) so in order to save our future...we must sabotage the past...so fascism prevails...rios...we must ensure critical race theory is never again taught in school...humanity is not ready to be woke...

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

raffi and seven have to stage a mass shooting at a nascar race and pin it on blm or antifa for some reason.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Danaru posted:

"if we don't go back and make sure 9/11 happens, the Federation will never be formed!!"

“Today is a good day to die!”

Worf going back in time to cause 9/11 is the new Spock killing JFK.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
We have no choice but to take the gorrila down, fire the shot... wait!!! and elderly bald man just jumped in front. Oh god he's bleeding... oh the humanity.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Idiots didn't read their own history just go invent transparent aluminum and be done with it.

They probably gotta get #hellovulcans trending on Twitter

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They didn't! We're in the middle of an alternate tineline theoretically being put back to normal. Every time travel story in the series has different rules.

The timeline that doesn't diverge for another few days, according to the show.

CainFortea posted:

19th century Guinan wasn't an ancient wise alien lady. She was a teenager on a gap year in rebellion against her parents.

Also what specifically about the picard show is undoing time's arrow?

You know how Time's Arrow is all about Picard et all going back to 1800s San Francisco and Guinan is just there hanging out? And Picard saves her life or some poo poo and goes back to the future and Guinan is all, "I've been waiting to tell you for centuries? This is why we're best friends."

Guinan looks like, 25 in 2024. Doesn't recognize Picard at all.

And obviously it's because the writer's didn't know the episode at all. Like how the rest of the show is based on Movie Picard. Because that's all they watched.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 30, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

HD DAD posted:

“Today is a good day to die!”

Worf going back in time to cause 9/11 is the new Spock killing JFK.

Through a really confusing set of circumstances, both planes that hit the WTC were flown by Mark Twain

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

External Organs posted:

Idiots didn't read their own history just go invent transparent aluminum and be done with it.

They probably gotta get #hellovulcans trending on Twitter

That was done in the 1980s. Aluminium oxynitride is what you're looking for.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

if this...tom brady... is allowed to retire in 2024...world war 3 doesn't happen...humanity never has the chance to survive its greatest trial...

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zesty posted:

The timeline that doesn't diverge for another few days, according to the show.

You know how Time's Arrow is all about Picard et all going back to 1800s San Francisco and Guinan is just there hanging out? And Picard saves her life or some poo poo and goes back to the future and Guinan is all, "I've been waiting to tell you for centuries? This is why we're best friends."

And obviously it's because the writer's didn't know the episode at all. Like how the rest of the show is based on Movie Picard. Because that's all they watched.

Oh, that's very stupid. Proof positive that season 2 picard is not good.

Thanks for clearing that up.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gutcruncher posted:

I dunno. I assume they couldn't get her for the amount of time they needed for the rest of the show because more Whoopi would have been totally fine.

Like yeah she's supposed to be younger, but she's from a mysterious species or whatever don't ask questions.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

CainFortea posted:

Oh, that's very stupid. Proof positive that season 2 picard is not good.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Yeah? It sucks when shows aren't consistent. It's the easiest possible thing to write around but they needed a black character who lived through slavery to say 2020s were the worst time in history ever.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Imagine trying to remember a guy from 140 years ago but this time he's old as poo poo and smells like someone dunked a high tech Roomba in some warm earl grey

Edit: also 60 years ago you did a LOT of psychedelics

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno. I assume they couldn't get her for the amount of time they needed for the rest of the show because more Whoopi would have been totally fine.

Like yeah she's supposed to be younger, but she's from a mysterious species or whatever don't ask questions.
It’s a little odd because we see that in the 1800s she looks almost exactly like she does in the 2360s

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zesty posted:

Whoopi was 34 in that episode and the new actress is 29, they're the same age.

Also he is much older, looks different and it's been over 130 years. When she meets him in the future, under normal circumstances, he probably introduced himself normally with his name.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i have some sympathy for the writers because there's really too much material to go through to make things consistent, i mean i have watched star trek for thirty years now so of course i remember guinan clowning around with mark twain

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I watched the first episode of the new season of Picard, got to end where they go off on their zany time adventure with their pet Borg Queen.

Really not feeling it and if they can't even be consistent with their own story I think I'll be skipping this show and will wait for Orville's return.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

i have some sympathy for the writers because there's really too much material to go through to make things consistent, i mean i have watched star trek for thirty years now so of course i remember guinan clowning around with mark twain

I don't. They are supposed to be professionals.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I was promised genetically engineering super soldiers. I could use some of that for myself about now :(

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s a little odd because we see that in the 1800s she looks almost exactly like she does in the 2360s

Whatever, she's El-Aurian! Who knows how those guys work?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I noticed a newspaper headline in the new Picard that said something like "Brynner Fights Unionization", so they knew enough about Star Trek to name-check the Bill Gates guy who's trying to gently caress Dax in the Bell Riots episodes of DS9.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

I don't want to defend Picard, because its a poo poo show, but they have said that times arrow didn't happen in the timeline they are currently in. That's why Guinan doesn't know who he is.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Picard never went back in time because the future is different, so he never met Guinan in the 1800s. Goddamn, this isn't rocket science people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zesty posted:

You may disagree with the way they choose to do it but it's pretty drat clear they know their stuff and know about Time's Arrow, they're literally out there on Twitter with back to the future esque diagrams explaining their reasoning (since events are currently on track for the alternative future, there's no Picard traveling to the past to meet Guinan, and thus the whole timeline has retroactively shifted to one where those events didn't happen and will stay that way until they restore the good future)