Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1508806409797963784?s=20&t=AE7zV9LPFHVIPuBjCsU9gA

Every videogame developer should be required to issue a formal apology to us gamers when a game is delayed.

If he really wanted to apologize he would have cut off one of this fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

:hmmyes:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

path of exile crafting sucks rear end because pulling the slot machine costs the same amount of currency regardless of whether the base item is complete dogshit garbage or best-in-slot
meaning for 95% of the playerbase (who don't have / can't afford to trade for the giga-strong crafting bases) crafting is like literally throwing away money because nothing you can make out of it is worth more than the consumables you use up to do it

uh wrong maybe you heard of harvest crafting

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

poverty goat posted:

epic pays developers for the free games though so if you want to stick it to their bottom line you should definitely be using their launcher to grab all the games they give away

theyd have to pay me to install it and free games is never what i consider payment. i gave them my email once to try out fortnite, it sucked so i uninstalled but got like years of emails about hacks and i guess someone else used my account eventually i think, cant imagine to what end, i spent no money and played less than an hour. i think adding games to my account would also be bolstering their numbers in some fashion i don't wanna be a party to. this is the only company i boycott for non ethical reasons, I just really don't want to risk them ever making another goddamn gears of war again, just on a spiritual level feels like a waste of artistic talent, skilled labour, and attention span from players.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 30, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rutibex posted:

uh wrong maybe you heard of harvest crafting

that existed for 3 months (during which i did not play) and then they deleted it from the game for being too good

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1508806409797963784?s=20&t=AE7zV9LPFHVIPuBjCsU9gA

Every videogame developer should be required to issue a formal apology to us gamers when a game is delayed.

i didnt realize this had game footage in it and didnt watc hbefore and now that i have... are they really gonna make us shoot up in the sky and kite/glide everywhere instead of giving us a loving hippogriff or pegasus or slapping special flying boots on our horse??

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Khanstant posted:

theyd have to pay me to install it and free games is never what i consider payment. i gave them my email once to try out fortnite, it sucked so i uninstalled but got like years of emails about hacks and i guess someone else used my account eventually i think, cant imagine to what end, i spent no money and played less than an hour. i think adding games to my account would also be bolstering their numbers in some fashion i don't wanna be a party to. this is the only company i boycott for non ethical reasons, I just really don't want to risk them ever making another goddamn gears of war again, just on a spiritual level feels like a waste of artistic talent, skilled labour, and attention span from players.

Epic stopped making Gears of War after the third one already, it’s done by a Microsoft in-house studio now.

Also, you sound like someone’s grandpa complaining about the internet.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

that existed for 3 months (during which i did not play) and then they deleted it from the game for being too good

they brought it back. and now you can specialize in harvest to turn every every league into harvest league. they also added ritual gambling and four kinds of expedition gambling. and a special guy who crafts items for you but he is just a video poker machine

so much gambling!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Khanstant posted:

lol

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

EGS chat is worse than ER chat :colbert:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Khanstant posted:

i didnt realize this had game footage in it and didnt watc hbefore and now that i have... are they really gonna make us shoot up in the sky and kite/glide everywhere instead of giving us a loving hippogriff or pegasus or slapping special flying boots on our horse??

DLC gets you a flying motorcyle.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dewgy posted:

Also, you sound like someone’s grandpa complaining about the internet.

my grandpa taught me how to use ebay and he used ebay to buy a coffin so he could take pictures of his friends in it for a book he wanted to make but then he had to sell the coffin to buy more meth when he ran out of money from selling meth

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Khanstant posted:

my grandpa taught me how to use ebay and he used ebay to buy a coffin so he could take pictures of his friends in it for a book he wanted to make but then he had to sell the coffin to buy more meth when he ran out of money from selling meth

What a rollercoaster of a story

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Khanstant posted:

and then what happened?? :confused:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

The Protagonist posted:

and then what happened?? :confused:

Khanstant now had the ebay skills to buy another coffin I'm guessing.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

abigserve posted:

Why do people cum over crafting systems in videogames

Everytime an MMO comes out there's multiple lengthy articles about the strength and weaknesses of the crafting system and they all boil down to "pick up seven rare orbs, 20 common orbs to make the ultra mega orb (increases stamina by 1%)

It's even more embarassing in non MMOs where it's replacing health kit pickups

Crafting sucks.

One example in a game that isn't an RPG is Bayonetta. In DMC, you sometimes get green orbs when you defeat enemies or destroy objects in the environment. They immediately restore health or give you red orbs (currency) if you're at full health.

In Bayonetta, you get little green orbs that you can craft into a healing item. The problem with this is that using that item will reduce your rank, while there's no downside to picking up green orbs in DMC.

Your end of chapter rank is going to be terrible anyway if you don't know where all the secret missions are and backtrack to them. This is a problem in Metal Gear Rising too, but in DMC these don't affect the mission rank so you go back and complete them any time you like.

Also, the ranking system in Babylon's Fall is completely backwards. I only played the demo, but playing near perfectly on my first attempt of a mission gave me the lowest rank, but coming back with higher level equipment gave me all pure platinums, even when I was occasionally getting hit. Just proof that it's only about grinding for bigger numbers and not rewarding skill.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Based on my understanding, there is a small fraction of the player base that mother-loving loves crafting and engages the hell out of the crafting system no matter how dogshit, and including it keeps them hooked. It also feels to a lot of devs like its more clever or better since its more complex, so its can be an easy internal "oh obviously this game is now improved by having it!" The majority of players do not care, so devs still tend to put non-necessary or non-primary things into crafting, make its edge over non-crafting functionally pointless for the majority of the playerbase especially in single player, or make it "faux" crafting like when in a game the only way to get certain parts is by progressing the story so you're not really crafting anything so much as making getting story gated strength boosts take an extra step to cash in.

There are games where crafting is the core mechanic and draw, obviously, but like, this is how you end up with trash like Bayonetta mentioned above or Cyberpunk 2077 or Elden Ring or God of War 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's like how so many Minecraft mods introduce poo poo like nuclear power plants and an entire tech tree leading up to them but also ridiculously overcomplicated crafting with dozens of intermediate steps because that's apparently crack for a certain mindset. I'm pretty sure there's even mods that exist just to make crafting more complicated.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the best crafting system is star ocean 2 where you have to train your party as an orchestra so you can craft the rare bean dish needed for the bonus to counterfeit level up medallions

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's like how so many Minecraft mods introduce poo poo like nuclear power plants and an entire tech tree leading up to them but also ridiculously overcomplicated crafting with dozens of intermediate steps because that's apparently crack for a certain mindset. I'm pretty sure there's even mods that exist just to make crafting more complicated.

is factorio a crafting system

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I didn't get very fan in star ocean 2 but I remember the crafting being weirdly satisfying

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Rutibex posted:

is factorio a crafting system

No it's a supply chain system that allows you to briefly hand craft (aka the worst phase of the game) prior to automating everything.

It also has a cavalcade of mods that are basically vectors for masochism and take tens of hours of play handcrafting everything before you can start automating the basic building blocks of your factory.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
the irony of it is that to make crafting interesting just make it another way to get sick gear

especially in MMOs where they make you level up a "profession" or whatever and then oh congrats you can craft a bunch of poo poo tier garbage

actually talking about this just reminded me that in Shadowlands blizzard made the mats you need to craft the best alchemy stuff locked behind a time-gated thing that required at minimum 3 weeks to complete with plenty of grinding to not fall behind

so not only do you have to level the profession you also then get told to go gently caress yourself, grind some more rear end in a top hat otherwise King Grey Man won't sell you his golden mcguffins oh also they are BoP and the rep doesn't share between characters

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Vakal posted:

If he really wanted to apologize he would have cut off one of this fingers.

That video was only available for Switch Online subscribers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crafting in MMOs is great because its usually "this is absolutely pointless from all levels 1->Max" and then and only then is their a chance its useful to you, and again, only until whenever the next expansion hits or they make a cash shop.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Crafting was cool as gently caress in Minecraft when it was novel to arrange some logs and flint into the shape of a pickaxe, it's also good in Elden Ring where it basically serves as a always available shop for items you'd otherwise go and find/buy in previous souls games

it is very bad in breath of the wild where you have to sit through a canned 10 second animation every single time you craft something

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rutibex posted:

the best crafting system is star ocean 2 where you have to train your party as an orchestra so you can craft the rare bean dish needed for the bonus to counterfeit level up medallions

Lol yeah it was pretty rng based even with max level skills but it still ruled.

I can still hear the crafting sound effects in my head now...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Crafting makes some sense when it's actually having control over the gear you get rather than relying on drop rates or whatever the gently caress for everything. But then it doesn't surprise me a lot of games literally only have it because popular games had it, the same reason every game for 20 years after Metal Gear Solid had to have a forced stealth section that sucks rear end

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I only find crafting interesting in games when it's a way to customize things. If it's just "you have to gather the pieces for a thing instead of just getting the thing" it's inoffensive at best (for example I don't really mind Elden Ring's crafting though I also wouldn't say I'd miss it if it were gone). But if it's instead, like, "you can get a regular sword by buying or finding it but if you craft you can make a custom sword with the properties you choose" then it's more interesting.

I don't know of any MMOs that do it that way so I don't think I've ever been even remotely interested in crafting in MMOs. Not even FFXIV. I know crafting has its own minigame people like in that but I just can't begin to care enough to even try it.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Instead of Crafting - RPGs should have a Counterfeit skill where you spend time making garbage into money (or XP or Mana or whatever).

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
It's always struck me as super odd, how crafting in MMOs is always pointless. Like, if you're an engineer in WoW and you craft up engineering stuff, so what, it's trash no one wants it. That seems weird and dumb to me.

But further, in New World, there are no vendors that you can sell stuff at, you can't 'vendor trash'. Plus basic wood that you get for chopping down trees is useful for loads of different professions. So theres genuinely a need for wood on the auction house, which means skilling up in wood felling is a totally viable income.

Except that because 'every' profession needs it, everyone just wants to level it up themselves and get the XP for it. And because all the gathering stuff is the same, and you need all the different gathering skills for every profession, you don't really get any crossover.

Why? That just seems so dumb to me. Make it so that you only want to level one gather skill, and one trade skill, and then sell to each other? That would make it feel useful crafting, like you had a skill that was in demand. Instead, everyone just levels everything. Nothing you do is of consequence.

Its as if games go out of their way to stop crafting from feeling good, for some reason? Like why are there NO games where you get the best gear at any level from crafting?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

!Klams posted:

It's always struck me as super odd, how crafting in MMOs is always pointless. Like, if you're an engineer in WoW and you craft up engineering stuff, so what, it's trash no one wants it. That seems weird and dumb to me.

But further, in New World, there are no vendors that you can sell stuff at, you can't 'vendor trash'. Plus basic wood that you get for chopping down trees is useful for loads of different professions. So theres genuinely a need for wood on the auction house, which means skilling up in wood felling is a totally viable income.

Except that because 'every' profession needs it, everyone just wants to level it up themselves and get the XP for it. And because all the gathering stuff is the same, and you need all the different gathering skills for every profession, you don't really get any crossover.

Why? That just seems so dumb to me. Make it so that you only want to level one gather skill, and one trade skill, and then sell to each other? That would make it feel useful crafting, like you had a skill that was in demand. Instead, everyone just levels everything. Nothing you do is of consequence.

Its as if games go out of their way to stop crafting from feeling good, for some reason? Like why are there NO games where you get the best gear at any level from crafting?

:twisted:
sounds like you want to play EVE Online as an industrialist

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Rutibex posted:

:twisted:
sounds like you want to play EVE Online as an industrialist

Yeah I was about to say, I played a MMO where crafting matters for a good long while.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There are MMOs like Wakfu or Star Wars Galaxies where there's barely anything like NPC vendors or stores, if you want fancy gear you either have to craft it yourself or buy it from a player who crafts it for you.

That said, the MMO genre is loving loaded with mechanic bloat and poo poo that's there to tick a box because players and/or suits demand it despite serving no real purpose. Then again, WoW is particularly bad about that because lol Blizzard.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I actually really liked the crafting system in eve once I had a high-level industrial alt because it actually matters, like, entirely to the functioning of the game and what you are doing in alliance stuff.

So many goons being able to craft basic fighters using subsidized materials was definitely a tide-turner in the bad old days of Syndicate and became a doctrine for a long time.

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

abigserve posted:

the irony of it is that to make crafting interesting just make it another way to get sick gear

especially in MMOs where they make you level up a "profession" or whatever and then oh congrats you can craft a bunch of poo poo tier garbage

actually talking about this just reminded me that in Shadowlands blizzard made the mats you need to craft the best alchemy stuff locked behind a time-gated thing that required at minimum 3 weeks to complete with plenty of grinding to not fall behind

so not only do you have to level the profession you also then get told to go gently caress yourself, grind some more rear end in a top hat otherwise King Grey Man won't sell you his golden mcguffins oh also they are BoP and the rep doesn't share between characters

It's almost like they want each character to occupy more of your time.

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

I really like the crafting in Vintage story, a small stand alone game based on the Terrafirmacraft mod for minecraft.

Sounds derivative but it's fun and satisfying.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ritz On Toppa Ritz posted:

Instead of Crafting - RPGs should have a Counterfeit skill where you spend time making garbage into money (or XP or Mana or whatever).

SWTOR had something like this, instead of crafting armor or whatever you could just hack credits straight into your bank account lol

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
DQ11 has the worst crafting system ever. Xenoblade is close but DQ11 it is required to complete the game. And you have to do it for hours and hours and hours. And you can lose material if you gently caress up (I think.) And it's easy to screw up. And it's slow.

E: look at this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=468MLRNI9qU

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

!Klams posted:

In fairness it isn't pointless in FFXIV. Crafted gear is really valuable and something that raiders generally really want to get a head start before savage-tier raids release, and it's also at least as good as normal raid-level gear for the current patch. Each time a new raid tier comes out, crafters can make a ton of money making gear because raiders start dropping millions of gil to get geared up ASAP. Then in the between-raid-tier patches there's always a way to upgrade crafted gear to be even better, which is another opportunity for crafters to make a bunch of money crafting.

I don't find the crafting system itself interesting but at the very least they managed to find a way to make crafted equipment actually valuable and useful.