Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

cmdrk posted:

I may have missed it in the thread - has there been any announcement about what this year's TLP or unique rules server will be?

Not yet-- but we're expecting to learn by the end of April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

MrSargent posted:

When I last played on a TLP, I two-boxed using two laptops but did everything manually using the keyboard/mouse for each. It definitely wasn't the most efficient, but it worked. I don't have any programs like HotKeyNet, is there something I should look into to make it a bit easier on myself?

Use a piece of software which makes your two computers two monitors with one m+kb setup. I've used synergy before, but there are a ton of software tools out there for this.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Thanks a lot for the responses onesixtwo and DisgracelandUSA, going to try out a couple options and see what works best.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Use a piece of software which makes your two computers two monitors with one m+kb setup. I've used synergy before, but there are a ton of software tools out there for this.

I use this for work,

https://www.stardock.com/products/multiplicity/

It has some fancy features that I cant make work well (single screen more then one comp type stuff) but the mouse at the border works great.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

PyRosflam posted:

I use this for work,

https://www.stardock.com/products/multiplicity/

It has some fancy features that I cant make work well (single screen more then one comp type stuff) but the mouse at the border works great.

Multiplicity is great. I mapped side mouse buttons to switch between desktops so panning over doesn’t mess with full screen modes.

It also can pipe sound over the network, nice for getting all audio out of the good speakers.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Are there any custom UI's that people would recommend? I can make the default UI work by moving a bunch of poo poo around and resizing it but would like to try something better if its out there.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
EQinterface.com was up still as of a few months ago. There are several UIs still receiving regular updates. Probably best to check it out and see what works for you.

About 15 years ago I installed Vert modern and swapped the spell gems for WoW inspired ones and just forgot about them. To this day I can still tell buffs and debuffs and songs by their icon from that classic era WoW spell gem set than I can from the spell name, let alone the current default spell gem icons.

I’m not recommending it for anyone else, just using this anecdote to emphasize finding yourself something from EQ interface over taking ui suggestions from idiots like me.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

koreban posted:

EQinterface.com was up still as of a few months ago. There are several UIs still receiving regular updates. Probably best to check it out and see what works for you.

About 15 years ago I installed Vert modern and swapped the spell gems for WoW inspired ones and just forgot about them. To this day I can still tell buffs and debuffs and songs by their icon from that classic era WoW spell gem set than I can from the spell name, let alone the current default spell gem icons.

I’m not recommending it for anyone else, just using this anecdote to emphasize finding yourself something from EQ interface over taking ui suggestions from idiots like me.

I just wonder what the UI engine overhaul is going to look like, do you think they will go lua based? Or something completely different?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Zil posted:

I just wonder what the UI engine overhaul is going to look like, do you think they will go lua based? Or something completely different?

Jetz0r would have a better idea on that than I would. At the very least, he’d be able to speak more to what’s possible after they release whichever method they’re going to use for the UI.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Was able to find both pipes for sale in the bazaar for less than a 100k plat each. So sold a krono and picked them both up. Now to start some fights.

I love FV so much.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i'm getting eq cravings but every time I resub I play hard for a few weeks then just sit in pok chatting until my sub runs out and I go do something else

that is all, I have nothing of value to add to this thread right now

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

blatman posted:

i'm getting eq cravings but every time I resub I play hard for a few weeks then just sit in pok chatting until my sub runs out and I go do something else

The true (condensed) EQ experience.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

blatman posted:

New TLP comes out in May, I think there are a few of us planning on starting up again. I always find fresh launches more fun than coming back several expansions in.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Anyone have a guild on FV they don't mind me parking a few alts in? Currently in the newbie guild but would rather be in something a bit more active than a guild with a motd that was set by someone who hasn't logged in since 2012.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

blatman posted:

same except I sit in pok trying unsuccessfully to get a group until my sub runs out

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

same except I sit in pok trying unsuccessfully to get a group until my sub runs out

Hahaha that’s the true EQ experience

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
sitting in pok with /lfg on will never, ever get you groups in today's everquest

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Yeah you're supposed to run laps around the zone

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I’ve been running around agnarr with twink gear to satisfy random cravings until May’s launch. Having a fungi stick / tunic and PWC with a haste cloak makes murdering frogloks easy and fun on a fattie sk.

Probably running sk/sham/bard on May release but debating if I wanna box three still or just the sk/sham.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Node posted:

sitting in pok with /lfg on will never, ever get you groups in today's everquest

Unless you are a healer or tank :P

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The last time I logged into EverQuest in vanilla was after a long "sitting lfg" in seb, it was like 3 or 6 hours or something. Said "gently caress this".

Truly the classic experience.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

suuma posted:

Yeah you're supposed to run laps around the zone

skip the lfg part and just play levitate parkour around pok.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I see a fair amount of people just rocking LFG tags in the guild lobby on Aradune deep into DoN. The fact that solo LFG players still exist this far into a server's decline is baffling to me. The reality is basically 3+ box or gfys. I wish mercs were available earlier to help these people out

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

jetz0r posted:

skip the lfg part and just play levitate parkour around pok.

if you're on live or a tlp that's far enough along you can rocket boot / steamjet pack most of the way up the outside of the pok library

also you can do the same thing to get on top of the seru arx in sanctus seru and get immediately deathtouched by like a hundred dt traps

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Solarin posted:

I see a fair amount of people just rocking LFG tags in the guild lobby on Aradune deep into DoN. The fact that solo LFG players still exist this far into a server's decline is baffling to me. The reality is basically 3+ box or gfys. I wish mercs were available earlier to help these people out

Our guild still has a handful that are still pugging it out, mostly because they are apprehensive about the idea of boxing. I don’t know how they do it either mostly because getting older I get pulled away from comp too often to want to disappoint a group of people. Wanting to engage for 30-60 minutes straight with no random afks? My kids have burned me too many times to wanna group like that.

There is lots of boxing but I feel like that just shifts everything a level. Grouping content is now box content. Old small raid and old raid targets are now group content when you team up with your buddies’ box crews. Medium /semi-old/split raids are now your small raid targets and big main only raids happen maybe on expac launch because of flagging bottlenecks and then quickly progresses into splits.

In my opinion it helps having a roster of characters to work on. Makes it easier to keep engaged once new content gets stale. The people I see on solo characters are caught up in a week or two after launches and then disappear.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I read an idea somewhere for a new type of merc that just holds aggro and heals itself, so that classes like rogues and zerkers aren't forced to box to do basic stuff

whoever posted that idea was a genius

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

blatman posted:

I read an idea somewhere for a new type of merc that just holds aggro and heals itself, so that classes like rogues and zerkers aren't forced to box to do basic stuff

whoever posted that idea was a genius

Sounds like a paladin

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Yiggy posted:

Our guild still has a handful that are still pugging it out, mostly because they are apprehensive about the idea of boxing. I don’t know how they do it either mostly because getting older I get pulled away from comp too often to want to disappoint a group of people. Wanting to engage for 30-60 minutes straight with no random afks? My kids have burned me too many times to wanna group like that.

There is lots of boxing but I feel like that just shifts everything a level. Grouping content is now box content. Old small raid and old raid targets are now group content when you team up with your buddies’ box crews. Medium /semi-old/split raids are now your small raid targets and big main only raids happen maybe on expac launch because of flagging bottlenecks and then quickly progresses into splits.

In my opinion it helps having a roster of characters to work on. Makes it easier to keep engaged once new content gets stale. The people I see on solo characters are caught up in a week or two after launches and then disappear.

The only people that have logged in to the game outside raids in my guild are ones with new alts or returning players. 5 months of Omens/DoN has put my guild pretty near death but maybe we'd have lost the same number of people on a faster expansion unlock.

I think when my guild calls it quits I'm just going to play on test. gently caress this required sub TLP nonsense

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Node posted:

Sounds like a paladin

ya sorta but it'd let you die to dots and aoes

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Solarin posted:

The only people that have logged in to the game outside raids in my guild are ones with new alts or returning players. 5 months of Omens/DoN has put my guild pretty near death but maybe we'd have lost the same number of people on a faster expansion unlock.

I think when my guild calls it quits I'm just going to play on test. gently caress this required sub TLP nonsense

POP unlike the pervious x-packs more or less removed the need to see all the old zones. The game goes hard core raiding at this point and keeps it up for a while. If your raiding, group content is almost pointless which is sad.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

PyRosflam posted:

POP unlike the pervious x-packs more or less removed the need to see all the old zones. The game goes hard core raiding at this point and keeps it up for a while. If your raiding, group content is almost pointless which is sad.

currently playing PoP on a emu server (TAKP) and I feel these feels. I don't know how it is on Live or TLPs, but on TAKP it's like a whole different game. There's one three-box combo that rules them all (Enchanter, Bard, Cleric), there's a couple of zones worth going to (exacerbated by ZEMs), and everything else is fully focused on flags and raids. Feels bad.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
PoP is the start of the expansions where only the end game zones really matter, nobody is grinding plane of disease in 2022 but they sure did at release.

In TLPs, either you raid and get flagged for elementals (and later, zones like Qvic/RSS/Anguish), or you don't and you quit.

TLPs are fun but the culture is very bleeding edge or die, and then there's the krono farmers.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

suuma posted:

PoP is the start of the expansions where only the end game zones really matter, nobody is grinding plane of disease in 2022 but they sure did at release.

In TLPs, either you raid and get flagged for elementals (and later, zones like Qvic/RSS/Anguish), or you don't and you quit.

TLPs are fun but the culture is very bleeding edge or die, and then there's the krono farmers.

Yep - and if you get into POP late, you'll miss the rush of flagging. So even getting exp groups is hard.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Node posted:

Sounds like a paladin

self healing and aggro is literally a shadowknight

paladins have buffs and accidentally heal the group sometimes.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Sometimes the paladin can even train the group by casting blind! So useful.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

diapermeat posted:

Yep - and if you get into POP late, you'll miss the rush of flagging. So even getting exp groups is hard.

As someone who flagged for time the slow way in the original. Back then you always had groups all over the place, strange camps that I never see touched on TLPs for the most part. This was helped by the fact that only 40 ish people a week could get a given flag and there were enough players that backflagging was ok (helps that time was instanced too).

Today its week 1 rush, you need to be on the "team" or no flag for you.

No one wants to hang in POJ doing xp when everyone who matters is in POF or POE.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I remembered loving PoP back in the day but it took maybe 3-4 days of PoP on Mischief to nope right outta there. Flagging seems to bring out the worst in people.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Looks like it's time to quit again. Having to flag for po fire to even get a group can gently caress off

Had a hell of a time on Mischief up until now though!

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Syrinxx posted:

Looks like it's time to quit again. Having to flag for po fire to even get a group can gently caress off

Had a hell of a time on Mischief up until now though!

The herd gets flagged pretty quick and a lot of times if you’re watching the fennin kills and reaching out and if you’re waiting near AOC, guilds will be kind and invite you in to hail the guy for the quick fire flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Just saw GoD opened up on mischief today. The XP grinding probably moved up to splitpaw instead of fire. Ends will be charming in vxed now.