Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

greazeball posted:

He built himself up as the sole creator of the Rutles (which was not at all the case) when it took off as a cult hit on VHS in the states and then went to great lengths to make sure that the songwriters and performers who were actually behind it were unable to perform or release any new material at all. GREAT lengths, with a bunch of bait and switch and last-minute lawsuits to block releases of albums that had already been recorded and pressed, etc. because he's a thin-skinned jealous prick who wouldn't allow anyone to talk about the Rutles unless it was all about him. Really justified use of the C-word, IMHO.

drat, what a prick!

Also I appreciate the summary, thanks! I realised my post was actually pretty snarky, but it's actually just that I'm interested but feeling sick at the moment and didn't have it in me to read heaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

greazeball posted:

Gilliam's arguably the worst of all of them. Cleese is an arrogant loudmouth Tory prick and Idle is a petty vindictive POS, but Terry really went all in and doubled down on his bigotry with a number of different interviewers, it was baffling.

Well gently caress, I was really hoping I was wrong about that one.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Just vaguely knowing their post-Python output, you can correctly surmise that Michael Palin is the least terrible Python (well, that's still alive) pretty easily. All you learn from hearing more is just how wide the gap is.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/tahukann/status/1509050156548870148

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ok, I can't believe the pattern recognition side of my brain picked that up

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

greazeball posted:

Weird Al is a saint though, so I'm a little conflicted

I have a deep aching fear in the pit of my stomach for the day we finally learn something lovely about Weird Al.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Ok, I can't believe the pattern recognition side of my brain picked that up

I honestly saw goatse in the white space before I saw loss.

Jesus loving christ.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/EllenBarkin/status/975133466235777024

So there's that too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

McCracAttack posted:

I have a deep aching fear in the pit of my stomach for the day we finally learn something lovely about Weird Al.

He's in his 60s (yes really) so here's hoping he continues being a great guy and performer. Maybe he can be his generations' Mr.Rogers and kick rear end for decades without, to quote Ray Smuckles, having to "retreat into obvious-style born again Christianity" (he actually is a Christian, but it's not some weird public thing he makes a big deal out of to make people forget his coke habit or whatever).

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 14:26 on Mar 30, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is this a sexual thing or does he blast out farts you can taste?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He's in his 60s (yes really) so here's hoping he continues being a great guy and performer. Maybe he can be his generations' Mr.Rogers and kick rear end for decades without, to quote Ray Smuckles, having to "retreat into obvious-style born again Christianity" (he actually is a Christian, but it's not some weird public thing he makes a big deal out of to make people forget his coke habit or whatever).

Weird Al couldn't swerve into being weirdly into religion, weird conservatism or fringe beliefs anyway, because we'd just assume it's a bit.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There's one thing he could do to freak everybody out

MODEDIT: rehosted image

Somebody has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Mar 30, 2022

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Lobok posted:

I assume that if it was farts she wouldn't have had to include the "alone"

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Lobok posted:

This tweet was made in the wake of the MeToo movement, so I’d assume it’s directly related to that.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

https://twitter.com/ignaciomonzon/status/1508858488096710663

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/EloiseFaichney/status/1508675539262853123

https://twitter.com/wyatt_privilege/status/1509162592866033673

https://twitter.com/DrakeGatsby/status/1508811005589180417

https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1509065974367936515

https://twitter.com/EiiArt/status/1509045938890887168

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

God how I wish that were true

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I’m mid-40s and I don’t go on social media so I will take this sample size of one as proof of the hypothesis and assume 90% of people on this forum also aren’t on social media because they are olds

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Milo and POTUS posted:

God how I wish that were true
:mad: :corsair:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Children seem to be good at doing devastating owns. Somewhat alarmingly so.
https://twitter.com/Debjpage/status/1509082172287823874

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

freeedr posted:

I’m mid-40s and I don’t go on social media so I will take this sample size of one as proof of the hypothesis and assume 90% of people on this forum also aren’t on social media because they are olds

You called me out. Early 40’s and I deleted all social media years ago.
I guess I still have an Instagram but haven’t posted in nearly a year.

SA is my SM.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

lol

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Weird Al got kinda weirdly defensive about some transphobic tropes in Truck Driving Song a few years back, but I think he hasn't doubled-down since or anything.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/NinaStrohminger/status/1509206511586795532

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Weird Al got kinda weirdly defensive about some transphobic tropes in Truck Driving Song a few years back, but I think he hasn't doubled-down since or anything.

From what I've seen there's a bunch of poo poo he regrets and genuinely tries to atone for. He's walking that fine line where he can explain that that was the humor at the time and it wasn't his intent to be offensive while also acknowledging that that's no excuse and taking full responsibility. He has a tweet that's something along the lines of "I used a slur in a song decades ago and if you think I was a dumb idiot that should've known better... you're absolutely right. I was a dumb idiot that should've known better and I'm really, really sorry."

He genuinely seems like a good person.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Taeke posted:

From what I've seen there's a bunch of poo poo he regrets and genuinely tries to atone for. He's walking that fine line where he can explain that that was the humor at the time and it wasn't his intent to be offensive while also acknowledging that that's no excuse and taking full responsibility. He has a tweet that's something along the lines of "I used a slur in a song decades ago and if you think I was a dumb idiot that should've known better... you're absolutely right. I was a dumb idiot that should've known better and I'm really, really sorry."

https://twitter.com/alyankovic/status/490724534513700864
:unsmith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Taeke posted:

yea all I saw for his trans stuff was him kinda trying to explain 'well at the time this was funnier and trans people weren't exactly mainstream so we didn't get jokes like that were offensive' but no real double downs or 'gosh take a joke already' nonsense which, yea you can for sure argue it's kinda pointless to try to argue that when you should just say 'yep, that was hosed up, sorry' but considering how he's handled pretty much everything else I think it's fair to say he genuinely tries to make his stuff everyone can enjoy and doesn't truck with bigotry for easy laughs.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I have in my hand the power to cancel weird al yankovic

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

projecthalaxy posted:

it's just a gun, projecthalaxy doesn't understand what 'cancelling' is.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

flavor.flv posted:

There's one thing he could do to freak everybody out

MODEDIT: rehosted image

normal al

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno, I heard he was very unfair to Mr. Chamillionaire

https://twitter.com/shrimpJAJ/status/1317920644336513024

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

projecthalaxy posted:

THIS HAND OF MINE GLOWS WITH AN AWESOME POWER

IT'S LOUD ROAR TELLS ME TO POST RECIEPTS

TAKE THIS! MY RAGE, MY TAKES, AND ALL OF MY POSTING

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Weird Al doesn't even curse. I dont just mean in his music. He was profiled by some magazine a year or two ago and the guy literally does not swear.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

THIS HAND OF MINE GLOWS WITH AN AWESOME POWER

IT'S LOUD ROAR TELLS ME TO POST RECIEPTS

TAKE THIS! MY RAGE, MY TAKES, AND ALL OF MY POSTING

this made me smile

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

codo27 posted:

Weird Al doesn't even curse. I dont just mean in his music. He was profiled by some magazine a year or two ago and the guy literally does not swear.

He was asked to be an actor on Drunk History and he said he'd love to do it but he wouldn't swear. Amazingly enough, the drunken story teller used a lot of swears in the retelling but none of them were said by the character they wanted Al to play.

And that's how we got "Weird Al as Hitler".

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
He's also a delight in interviews, and a vegan who doesn't make a thing out of it.

Just a solid guy all around, that Alfred Yankovic.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Philippe posted:

He's also a delight in interviews, and a vegan who doesn't make a thing out of it.

Just a solid guy all around, that Alfred Yankovic.

dunno, sounds kinda weird

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

venus de lmao posted:

so did all of the Monty Python guys turn out to be monumental dickheads?

Chapman died young enough to be fondly remembered

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/J_Motoki/status/1508535078778933249?s=20&t=lr3G2xFT34tcZ06qeFN3mQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When I saw that thumbnail I thought, that goddamn walking man better be jacking off or I am gonna lose it.