Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

nonathlon posted:

Right. I have the impression that Elminster started as "just a guy" that could be used to narrate scenes or give an infodump, an NPC that showed up to drive the plot along. But powercreep ended up making him absurdly awesome until one of the D&D revamps knocked him down to being an enfeebled and deluded geriatric.

I think I did a bad job there -- I was agreeing with the post I quoted. I think he's fine as an overpowered winking narrator figure... as long as he's not in a story. if he is then there's no point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I liked Elminster as a cameo in a crpg. I think he's in Baldurs Gate and IWD2?

I kinda read those books cause I was interested in them for a lore aspect but they kinda even fail even there.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've been reading Book of the New Sun, which owns, and it just stands out so much how a book about an actual torturer manages to display the act of torture as a purely clinical and emotionally detached process where the horror comes from the psychological and physiological implications of it being a ritualistic practice that treats humans like projects that need to be broken before they are then discarded - way more effective and terrifying than pouring molten lead down a child's throat and making GBS threads on him or whatever.

One method described is being blasted by a weird laser light that awakes *something* within you that wants to kill you. It won't happen immediately, but you will involuntarily start to claw your eyes out while you're asleep and you can try and hold it back but within a month or so you'll have no willpower left and you won't be able to stop your own arms from choking yourself.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 30, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I fished up a relevant interview with Greenwood. Elminster isn't his favorite, either:

https://grognardia.blogspot.com/2009/09/interview-ed-greenwood-part-iii.html?m=1

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I wish more fantasy authors had been inspired by Gene "Mr. Pringles" Wolfe. Book of the New Sun is the GOAT.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

I wish more fantasy authors had been inspired by Gene "Mr. Pringles" Wolfe. Book of the New Sun is the GOAT.

Gene Wolf is an author who every time I read something by him I wonder why I don't read more of his books.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

So what is the Bad Fantasy of today? Is it all those formulaic YA trilogies? I feel like the bad fantasy of my childhood (I am 35) was more for a male audience and now it's more for a female audience. Do I have any facts to back this up? Absolutely not.

I feel like today's bad fantasy are those god awful fairy romance books. A Court of Thorn and Shadows and its sequels. I've never read them and, barring something terrible going wrong in my life, I never will, but I heard they're stupid and bad.

They also kicked off the naming trend in fiction of Thing of Thing and Thing, which is another sure-fire sign of a bad novel. (See also any thriller with Wife/Woman/Girl in the title.)

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
I'll cast a vote for the scores of similar takes on "I'm Banging A _$shapeshifter_" novels strewn through sf/fantasy sections instead of being dumped in romance or idk, the trash.

TAKEN BY THE ALPHA / MARRIED TO A WEREBEAR / ROMANCED BY THE DRAGON KING / BARBARIAN ALIEN'S MISTRESS / POUNDED BY THE PIGEON EMPEROR / etc etc ad infinitum

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I feel like today's bad fantasy are those god awful fairy romance books. A Court of Thorn and Shadows and its sequels. I've never read them and, barring something terrible going wrong in my life, I never will, but I heard they're stupid and bad.

They also kicked off the naming trend in fiction of Thing of Thing and Thing, which is another sure-fire sign of a bad novel. (See also any thriller with Wife/Woman/Girl in the title.)

A Song of Ice and Fire is surely what set off that trend.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

So how many books are there and when are the collections coming out?

The specific ones i'm talking about are out, you can get them for kindle at least. They're called The Elric Saga and have forwards by Neil Gaiman.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Lord Awkward posted:

I'll cast a vote for the scores of similar takes on "I'm Banging A _$shapeshifter_" novels strewn through sf/fantasy sections instead of being dumped in romance or idk, the trash.

TAKEN BY THE ALPHA / MARRIED TO A WEREBEAR / ROMANCED BY THE DRAGON KING / BARBARIAN ALIEN'S MISTRESS / POUNDED BY THE PIGEON EMPEROR / etc etc ad infinitum

ngl would buy the poo poo out of POUNDED BY THE PIGEON EMPEROR if I saw it on a shelf.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

No it's just strongly encouraged. Also when not casting spells.

Wait what?

I read like... two of them? Before wandering off to something else, and I don't recall this! (Whatever the reason for bloviating may have been, noble or not, Jordan did bloviate.)

All I remember was some questionable gender politics (dudes can't do magic bc it makes the crazy evil, bc men suck, ooh bad men with no self control or agency to not be evil!) with the wizard ladies.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

DicktheCat posted:

All I remember was some questionable gender politics (dudes can't do magic bc it makes the crazy evil, bc men suck, ooh bad men with no self control or agency to not be evil!) with the wizard ladies.

Iirc it's not that men are inherently bad it's that they can only tap the male half of the Magic Source and that got booby trapped and tainted during Historic Events

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

DicktheCat posted:

Wait what?

I read like... two of them? Before wandering off to something else, and I don't recall this! (Whatever the reason for bloviating may have been, noble or not, Jordan did bloviate.)

It was a joke because as the series goes on it references spanking and other light BDSM stuff a lot. It was clearly a fetish of the author's but it is mostly not very important but whatever it's there. Unfortunately a major plot point in one of the Sanderson books resolved itself by a villain getting spanked, and Sanderson kind of had to shrug his shoulders and say that he didn't come up with idea, it was pure Robert Jordan, to which every fan immediately nodded in understanding.

The reason WOT is so slow is that there are too many plot threads. Each of the major characters has at least 3-5 plot threads they are involved with at any given time from book 6 on. Then there are are plot threads from the bad guys, and random plot threads from minor characters that show up like maybe once a book. So you have somewhere between 30 and 40 plot threads going at once. Robert Jordan would then write a book where 3-5 of those plots threads would develop significantly, about 5 to 7 would be sort of 'ghosted' so they wouldn't show up for a book, but this leaves about 20-30 plots that have to be mentioned so you remember what they were and maybe have some incremental progress on them per book. And if the plot threads involve a major character, that usually means spending multiple chapter on them, even if they aren't really developing their story in this book.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Random Stranger posted:

Gene Wolf is an author who every time I read something by him I wonder why I don't read more of his books.

One of a handful of authors who, when I read them, make me feel simultaneously very smart and also very dumb. (Others in that category include Borges and Eco. None really belong in this thread.)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Groke posted:

One of a handful of authors who, when I read them, make me feel simultaneously very smart and also very dumb. (Others in that category include Borges and Eco. None really belong in this thread.)

The Dosadi Experiment by Frank Herbert kinda made me feel that way. Like it seemed like it was making some kind of really deep and philosophical statement, but I could never figure out what the hell it actually was.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Awkward posted:

Listen, buckaroo, love is real, and furthermore

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I'm probably looking back with heavily rose tinted glasses due to being much younger, but I remember some of the short stories in Dragonlance were fun.
There was some sort of spooky ghost monster that would not only kill you if it touched you, but make it so you no longer existed - everyone's memory of you would be erased, etc etc. One story was a bunch of mercs hired to loot an estate on an island that turned out to be full of said ghosts. Naturally over time they screw up and lose their Anti Ghost Devices or whatever, and eventually there's just the boat's pilot wondering why the hell he went to this island on his own, until he finds the ship full of belongings and figures out to gtfo. Fun story.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

sweet geek swag posted:

The reason WOT is so slow is that there are too many plot threads. Each of the major characters has at least 3-5 plot threads they are involved with at any given time from book 6 on. Then there are are plot threads from the bad guys, and random plot threads from minor characters that show up like maybe once a book. So you have somewhere between 30 and 40 plot threads going at once. Robert Jordan would then write a book where 3-5 of those plots threads would develop significantly, about 5 to 7 would be sort of 'ghosted' so they wouldn't show up for a book, but this leaves about 20-30 plots that have to be mentioned so you remember what they were and maybe have some incremental progress on them per book. And if the plot threads involve a major character, that usually means spending multiple chapter on them, even if they aren't really developing their story in this book.

Also Robert Jordan was a FIRM believer in Cheko'vs Gun, so a lot of random details would show up 3-4 books later. He was setting up Lost-esque payoffs decades before the show.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Listen, buckaroo, love is real, and furthermore

Chuck Tingle gets a pass.

sweet geek swag posted:

threads threads threads

When you have a wheel weaving on it's own they get everywhere.

Lord Awkward fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 30, 2022

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Runcible Cat posted:

ngl would buy the poo poo out of POUNDED BY THE PIGEON EMPEROR if I saw it on a shelf.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatoful_Boyfriend

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I'll admit to having enjoyed the first few Dragonlance books, when I was like 15 or so. Belgariad, same. Probably wouldn't push either series on my own kids, there's better stuff easily available now.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
As a kid and tween I remember reading a lot of the Forgotten Realms books. I also remember picking some of them up in my early twenties and realizing that some of them didn't even hold up as dump pulp fiction. The ones that were based on the Pools of Radiance games were super-abysmal. Just all the worst elements of a paper RPG and video game adaption combined.

Also Ed Greenwood seemed like a giant pervert who worked his fetishes into everything he possibly could. Yes, I know that describes about 90% of the guys who were writing sci-fi and fantasy books in the 80's and 90's, but out of the D&D writers he seemed especially blatant.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Second best fantasy series is Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

The switch to magic potions was a step down from the first book's method of indulging the bad behavior in a way that forces them to realize they were wrong. In a way it was very prescient of how society stopped raising kids and started feeding them ritalin.

Don't touch Dick

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I liked Elminster as a cameo in a crpg. I think he's in Baldurs Gate and IWD2?

Yeah, he doesn't get in the way when he shows up in D&D Online either.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Razakai posted:

There was some sort of spooky ghost monster that would not only kill you if it touched you, but make it so you no longer existed - everyone's memory of you would be erased, etc etc.
That's basically the main point of John Dies at the End. John doesn't die, but another character does about 1/2-way through and is erased. All of the other characters simply stop talking about him. Their story becomes/always was "crazy poo poo happened to the four of us", and it's only in the author notes at the end of the book that the reader is reminded that five characters got together in the first few chapters. I wonder if David Wong / Jason Pargin read that Dragonlance story when he was younger.

I remember a Dragonlance book that was basically "what if WWII air combat but DRAGONS!" and while the fact I read it age 17 probably matters, I remember it being one of two books I've ever had to pause reading just to pump my fist and say "gently caress yeah!" Good times.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

DicktheCat posted:

Wait what?

The Wizard Ladies were the epitome of MAN-HATING EVIL FEMINAZIS and everyone hated them and disrespected them and there was huge anti-Wizard Lady murder squads roaming the countryside despite the Wizard Ladies supposedly running the continent.

And then when men became able to safely become channelers it turned out that a fresh newbie male channeler tended to be stronger than any given female channeler, and in fact a female channeler's max power level (DBZ style, yes) was capped much lower than a male channeler's.

Veth
May 13, 2002
Homeless Pariah

Blastedhellscape posted:

Also Ed Greenwood seemed like a giant pervert who worked his fetishes into everything he possibly could. Yes, I know that describes about 90% of the guys who were writing sci-fi and fantasy books in the 80's and 90's, but out of the D&D writers he seemed especially blatant.

I remember reading Spellfire and being appalled by the number of times "main character uses her superpower, her tits fall out, and she passes out" got used in one book.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ed Greenwood should stick to dungeon design.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

ExecuDork posted:

I remember a Dragonlance book that was basically "what if WWII air combat but DRAGONS!" and while the fact I read it age 17 probably matters, I remember it being one of two books I've ever had to pause reading just to pump my fist and say "gently caress yeah!" Good times.

what was the other?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Veth posted:

I remember reading Spellfire and being appalled by the number of times "main character uses her superpower, her tits fall out, and she passes out" got used in one book.

I can't help it, I am curious of how exactly that works.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Runcible Cat posted:

Came here to post this.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Kchama posted:

The Wizard Ladies were the epitome of MAN-HATING EVIL FEMINAZIS and everyone hated them and disrespected them and there was huge anti-Wizard Lady murder squads roaming the countryside despite the Wizard Ladies supposedly running the continent.

And then when men became able to safely become channelers it turned out that a fresh newbie male channeler tended to be stronger than any given female channeler, and in fact a female channeler's max power level (DBZ style, yes) was capped much lower than a male channeler's.

I thought only the.... red? Green? Ones hated men? They were by colors, I recall that.

Part of why I did fall off the wagon was that I could see where it was going, the male half of magic was sick, but more powerful.

Don't divide your magic on gender lines, that's dumb. I don't even know what a trans person would be able to do in such a world. A nonbinary individual might just be a god.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Cornwind Evil posted:

I can't help it, I am curious of how exactly that works.

Not OP, but iirc, her powers involved the magical fire she wielded conveniently burning her clothes off.

(When I was younger and had more time to waste, I made multiple attempts to read Spellfire. I want that time back now.)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DicktheCat posted:

I thought only the.... red? Green? Ones hated men? They were by colors, I recall that.

Red Ajah were the man haters, Green Ajah loved the bouncy bouncy with men and had harems, iirc.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Veth posted:

Oh god you just reminded me of "Peter Saxon". He was a house name used by 60s/70s UK pulp publishers, and you could always tell when it was actually - I think Wilfred McNeilly? - writing them because at some point you'd have the heroine in peril accidentally showing her "frilly knickers".

drat he loved those frilly knickers.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ExecuDork posted:

That's basically the main point of John Dies at the End. John doesn't die, but another character does about 1/2-way through and is erased. All of the other characters simply stop talking about him. Their story becomes/always was "crazy poo poo happened to the four of us", and it's only in the author notes at the end of the book that the reader is reminded that five characters got together in the first few chapters. I wonder if David Wong / Jason Pargin read that Dragonlance story when he was younger.

The Legend of Huma.
Noticeable for Huma not actually loving his silver dragon.
Kaz the Minotaur rode a bronze dragon into battle with the good guys. One for the very few D&D books to have an otherwise evil inhuman race not be automatically evil.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DicktheCat posted:

Wait what?

I don't remember the actual frequency, but the books are definitely proponents of wife spanking a la old timey western movies. There was also a bunch of frat-boy hazing style stuff involved in the ceremonies and punishments of the worlds various magical societies.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

drat he loved those frilly knickers.

This is the most British thing I’ve ever heard. Proving once again that Britain is the world’s least sexy country. Azerbaijan is Brazil in comparison.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

feedmegin posted:

Red Ajah were the man haters, Green Ajah loved the bouncy bouncy with men and had harems, iirc.

yes, correct

Red Ajah is rawr men suck, i have PMS literally nonstop
Green is i am an ethically polyamorous vegan crystal witch, swipe right if you're a unicorn :wink:
Yellow is Healer Class
uh... Blue is like... Ravenclaw? Maybe?
i think there's a White Ajah?
Black is obviously Bad Girls Club

i think that's all of them....

oh wait no there's also Brown, which is I Am Boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
robert jordan had a deep and comprehensve grasp on the full specrum of women, truly