Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

KillHour posted:

Someone needs to make a comic using that pun in reference to the Russian retreat. How do I get in touch with The New Yorker?

Someone did already prank Time with something quite rude. :D

https://twitter.com/hromadskeua/status/1507713495558721537

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mustang posted:

I don't know what Russian freight cars look like but I don't know why they wouldn't use intermodal containers, the alternative I'm imagining is those old timey freight cars with the sliding doors that would be tedious to load and unload.

Army freight is generic open back trucks with non-pallet loaded items of various size in them.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Igor's back and he's pivoted to video with his war takes
https://twitter.com/revishvilig/status/1509179993041088513?s=20&t=00kR-HtCd9OfcjhiZKN65g
https://twitter.com/revishvilig/status/1509179996685934601?s=20&t=00kR-HtCd9OfcjhiZKN65g
Still thinks Russia hosed up, thinks they won't be able to encircle the Ukrainian forces by Donbas either.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mustang posted:

I don't know what Russian freight cars look like but I don't know why they wouldn't use intermodal containers, the alternative I'm imagining is those old timey freight cars with the sliding doors that would be tedious to load and unload.

Oh it sucks I have to watch hand unloading from rail car to container occasionally it’s like a day and a half to do one rail reefer into 3.5 reefer cans.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

When will the Russians start rolling the captured Maus tanko out of museums to attack the JFO with

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Russia is adapting to Ukrainian drones and making innovative strides in the art of war.
https://twitter.com/Mortis_Banned/status/1509253383210872842?t=K9-9i5_rHLjbewqBE_vXsQ&s=19

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Army freight is generic open back trucks with non-pallet loaded items of various size in them.

I don't even know how you could unfuck that, there's only so much you can do to polish a turd.

It's like the Russians just missed decades of logistics development while the US continued to refine its systems and processes.

I think I remember something about the Canadian army training the Ukrainians on logistics, would be interested to see how the current Ukrainian logistics is organized and operated.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Oh it sucks I have to watch hand unloading from rail car to container occasionally it’s like a day and a half to do one rail reefer into 3.5 reefer cans.

Jesus Christ. I would give up if I couldn't use pallets and intermodal containers.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Bar Ran Dun posted:

You are not understanding the difference in scale.

This part of why they are having the problem with their logistics because they are supplying with road and rail and not ships. Its part of why they want the areas of Ukraine they want too. It’s making the same type of conceptual error that happens with people thinking the Chinese belt and road will replace ocean shipping. It’s not understanding the difference in scale. One ship is four 100 car trains is 2,500 truck loads.

1 truck load tends to cap out at 22.5 tons for really dense stuff and a heavy axle rail car can handle about 150 tons so its more like 665 truck loads of stuff.

Containerizing drops this a lot but cuts out the bit where you have a rail yard, bunker or warehouse full of ammo.

Having a huge pile of ammunition as you slowly parcel it out into bits your last mile can actually move has entertaining results if you end up in weapons range or drop some dangerously unstable ordnance, just like you planed :nws: distant explosion https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1508886176043839492

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Think Australia and the UK are engaged in some cyber capability development as part of the trilateral AUKUS pact.
https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1509274348963741707?t=trVH301w9Pa9gfKhcbBAEg&s=19

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Owling Howl posted:

Russia is adapting to Ukrainian drones and making innovative strides in the art of war.
https://twitter.com/Mortis_Banned/status/1509253383210872842?t=K9-9i5_rHLjbewqBE_vXsQ&s=19

They've gone from cope cage to cope nest. Russia is advancing rapidly in the field of cope; the West trails mighty Russia again.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Aertuun posted:

I don't think there's any evidence for Putin being "quite popular", or any evidence for him being "unpopular".

Actually, essentially all available evidence suggests he's overall quite popular in Russia and has been for years. Control of the media goes a long way.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I confirm that Putin is popular in Russia

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Paracausal posted:

Think Australia and the UK are engaged in some cyber capability development as part of the trilateral AUKUS pact.
https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1509274348963741707?t=trVH301w9Pa9gfKhcbBAEg&s=19

Fascism rises once more

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/the_intelhub/status/1509223828001464320?s=21&t=jJb2JAvDH0qqS8qzLazMqw

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

It's so weird to see a brutal, monstrous dictator whose look and style communicates that he'd be more at home doing donuts in his four wheeler in Centre County, PA than running a puppet nation.

no joke. that's one dictator who fell out of the ugly tree and hit every single branch on the way down

Paracausal posted:

I'm guessing they mean the kit sabotage and refusing orders was purposeful but the way this is worded makes it sound like they somehow did both entirely by accident

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Is it possible that maybe Russia doesn't have the second most capable military in the world?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Alchenar posted:

The point of a minefield is to make someone go through the effort of clearing it. If anything actually blows up that's just a bonus.

Well that, and you keep it guarded. Someone tries to clear it, they're under fire in the middle of a minefield.

Also if you want to mine a paved road you first lay a thick layer of gravel on it so you can bury the mines. This is a hasty setup. The civilian traffic makes it confusing to me. Why haven't the mines been cleared before civilians are let in the area?

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Nenonen posted:

Well that, and you keep it guarded. Someone tries to clear it, they're under fire in the middle of a minefield.

Also if you want to mine a paved road you first lay a thick layer of gravel on it so you can bury the mines. This is a hasty setup. The civilian traffic makes it confusing to me. Why haven't the mines been cleared before civilians are let in the area?

Its likely the UA hasnt even made it there yet and the Russians boogied away and the locals are not stupid enough to try to disarm themselves but somehow dumb enough to try to weave through.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Zhanism posted:

Its likely the UA hasnt even made it there yet and the Russians boogied away and the locals are not stupid enough to try to disarm themselves but somehow dumb enough to try to weave through.

In Zakarpattya we would say не бида meaning "no big deal."

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Crows Turn Off posted:

Is it possible that maybe Russia doesn't have the second most capable military in the world?

:lol:

I'm pretty sure India and hell even Turkey are above what we are seeing from Russia atm

Finland would flatten them

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Zhanism posted:

Call the guy who carted an anti-tank mine off into the woods with a cigarette dangling from his lips, I’m sure he can sort it out (as long as there are nearby woods for him to walk into).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zhanism posted:

There was a story in Odesa local press about someone driving their car to a mined beach despite the warning signs....

https://dumskaya.net/news/v-odesskoy-oblasti-dvoe-grazhdan-podorvalis-zaeh-162165/

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Mustang posted:

I don't even know how you could unfuck that, there's only so much you can do to polish a turd.

It's like the Russians just missed decades of logistics development while the US continued to refine its systems and processes.

I think I remember something about the Canadian army training the Ukrainians on logistics, would be interested to see how the current Ukrainian logistics is organized and operated.

Jesus Christ. I would give up if I couldn't use pallets and intermodal containers.

While not necessarily as well equipped or as large as the US Army, the Canadian forces has a dedicated logistics branch and the people there are very professional and very meticulous about ensuring supply is properly managed, accounted for and signed off on.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Crows Turn Off posted:

i think they might be more competent if the situation were different, like if they were actually defending russia from an attack on its own territory or something, when all your soldiers are basically tricked or forced into a war they dont believe in or care about and do everything half assed it becomes almost impossible to win. it seems like morale is just a lot more important than people thought, even though that's the obvious lesson from most wars in the past half century

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

source
Looks like Russia wants to shore up the satellites.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Kraftwerk posted:

While not necessarily as well equipped or as large as the US Army, the Canadian forces has a dedicated logistics branch and the people there are very professional and very meticulous about ensuring supply is properly managed, accounted for and signed off on.

I don't doubt it, my unit was on the border with Canada and we always had a Canadian exchange officer that was basically treated/used like any other American staff officer.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

'the main condition is the will of the citizens of the republic' oh shut the gently caress up you lying turd

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Shibawanko posted:

i think they might be more competent if the situation were different, like if they were actually defending russia from an attack on its own territory or something, when all your soldiers are basically tricked or forced into a war they dont believe in or care about and do everything half assed it becomes almost impossible to win. it seems like morale is just a lot more important than people thought, even though that's the obvious lesson from most wars in the past half century

The absolute state of Russian logistics is a major factor as well: everything is either old and no maitenance for years, or parts of things have been sold off by grifters or the brass

Maybe letting the Russian Mafia run a military and economy was a terrible idea?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Play posted:

'the main condition is the will of the citizens of the republic' oh shut the gently caress up you lying turd

They are not lying per se. They are just omitting the part where they kicked out all the Gergians.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Also I'm pretty sure Sascha Baron Cohen's next movie character Kadryov seems to be pushing to be "The most Loyal" to Putin so he can usurp Shoigu's position, and like others said become Top Dunce in the Court of Dunces.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 30, 2022

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Shibawanko posted:

Aren't we lucky all armies of the future will be replaced with automated drones that won't have morale issues or question orders?

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

They don’t have the road and rail capacity for the surge they needed to do in the time frame they attempted to do it.

Think about flow rates filling up a big tank with water. You’ve got to fill the tank to be ready to invade properly. Road is like a garden hose. Rail is like a 2” pipe. Ships are like an 18” pipe. Garden hose ain’t going to cut it. Especially if things are asymmetrical and the other side doesn’t have to transport the same quantities of poo poo.

Ships aren't a pipes they are buckets, those 2" pipes can move a lot more volume because they have greater velocity and they can carry a constant flow.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

d64 posted:

Source levada.ru

Sure, people might be increasingly wary of saying they oppose the president, but I still don't doubt that's the general direction of it

Russia is a totalitarian state, recently graduated from an authoritarian state where you could publish some opposing views: You're not going to get any reliable opinion polls out of such a country. These types of polling numbers are entirely worthless, we're not talking about Trump vs. Biden.

You'd have to be an idiot to answer some pollster with "I oppose Putin"

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 30, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

OddObserver posted:

They are not lying per se. They are just omitting the part where they kicked out all the Gergians.

They are still lying because any 'will' of the people that doesn't involve loving Russia 100% would just be suppressed or worse anyways. Perhaps the people there now do want that, but if they didn't it wouldn't matter.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

Can add UK to that list too. We were drilled very early on in training (boot camp) that looking after your kit was paramount. Kit inspections daily while out on exercise. Dust in the mag housing? Run. Mess tins slightly burnt? Run. Not bothered to shave that morning? Run. Our logistics is also heavily modeled on Canada.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Fame Douglas posted:

Russia is a totalitarian state, recently graduated from an authoritarian state where you could publish some opposing views: You're not going to get any reliable opinion polls out of such a country. These types of polling numbers are entirely worthless, we're not talking about Trump vs. Biden.

You'd have to be an idiot to answer some pollster with "I oppose Putin"

It's not just fear of saying what they actually think, it's also that people are not given truthful information to make an informed answer. I'm sure a lot of Russians think they're on the right moral side here as they are pro "rescuing oppressed civilians from a violent nazi regime" and pro "protecting our country from NATO who are each day getting closer and closer to bombing our cities and children". To them it just happens to be the same as being pro-Putin.

I mean the top story on Yandex news right now is about "Ukrainian death squads" operating in Kharkiv and rounding up anyone who is not a Ukrainian fascist. Only Putin can save the civilians there.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 30, 2022

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

CommieGIR posted:

Why would the US need to supply US forces in Afghanistan via intermodal. Think carefully. It might be because its across multiple seas. It has nothing to do with intermodal. It had everything to do with supplies having to come across seas.

The trucks are a completely different failure: The lack of packaging and containers has nothing to do with being supplied by sea and everything to do with inability to plan logistics.

No its not. How were ship based supplies going to get to forces around Kyiv? They were never going to get there from ports or beaches. So how would ocean based intermodal help? Even more: Why would it make any difference in the South? If Russia cannot even get supplies from a base in Russia overland to forces in Ukraine, adding ships to the situation would improve nothing.

Their inability to do mass handling of cargo? Sure, that's a real issue, like lack of pallets and cranes. But that has nothing to do with ships.

I'm not an expert on logistics, so this is mostly intuition, but I feel like the logistical constraints that are applied to the whole system when you add international shipping might be a big deal.

In order to make intermodal work, you need to have a certain level of sophistication, standardization and organization at every step, and those all make corruption more complicated to pull off.

Russia might have been better off if their logistics chain involved an artificial step of loading everything onto container ships, having the ship go out for a day, then unload back into the same port.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Skex posted:

Ships aren't a pipes they are buckets, those 2" pipes can move a lot more volume because they have greater velocity and they can carry a constant flow.

You’re wrong and freight rail can be like 30ish mph or less on lovely tracks lol.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rad Russian posted:

It's not just fear of saying what they actually think, it's also that people are not given truthful information to make an informed answer. I'm sure a lot of Russians think they're on the right moral side here as they are pro "rescuing oppressed civilians from a violent nazi regime" and pro "protecting our country from NATO who are each day getting closer and closer to bombing our cities and children". To them it just happens to be the same as being pro-Putin.

I mean the top story on Yandex news right now is about "Ukrainian death squads" operating in Kharkiv and rounding up anyone who is not a Ukrainian fascist. Only Putin can save the civilians there.

It doesn't really matter whether they believe it, even: When state media is pushing some talking point, people know they have to toe the line, or they will get in trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

It doesn't really matter whether they believe it, even: When state media is pushing some talking point, people know they have to toe the line, or they will get in trouble.

Yeah, this is the thing. The truth doesn't matter: what matters is what you need to believe in order to continue living your life. Believing something and signaling that you believe it are different things, and the latter is all that's necessary.